or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page - Page 6

post #201 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Thanks for the chuckle...

Being an optimist, he's finally figured out how to use a search engine so perhaps he'll learn to utilize it before posting nonsense like this in the future.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #202 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There are two sides to every story. Every smartphone has reception issues under the wrong circumstances. But the iPhone 4 does have a unique problem. I found a summary of articles that look at the issue from both sides:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100725180015

"Looking at the issue from both sides" does not mean that an accurate picture is painted. Just the fact that the site uses the label "fanboys" betrays the bias inherent in the listing of articles.

The next dirty little secret is that each of these phones that drop bars when held in certain ways has a unique problem. So either they are all unique, in which case the iP4 being unique doesn't make it's behavior a case apart, or they aren't, including the iP4, really unique in a meaningful way, and once again, the iP4's behavior is not a case apart. In other words, your point is meaningless because of its triviality.
post #203 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

...

Users should never have to be told how to hold their phone, as it should be engineered to function efficiently no matter how it's held (within reason).

Well, dreams are free! Many phones DO have explicit instructions about how to hold or not hold the phone so as not to interfere with the antenna. ALL phones suffer signal loss when held in a certain way. It's physics.
post #204 of 271
If it does it, it does it. A friend got a droid X recently and loves it...except she says the phone part is absolutely horrible.
post #205 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The solution already exists: Put The Antenna(s) Back Inside The Handset.

Note: ...and there's probably no way to legitimately patent common sense.


Are you sure? As far as I can tell the Droid has the antenna on the inside and loses signal when being held normally.
post #206 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

And if the mechanic lied to you and says "don't worry; all cars do that; let me show you videos of a Mercedes not running, and another of a Lexus not running..." would you exhibit such lemming-like incuriousness?

I'd say a better analogy would be a user saying "Hey, my car's milage in the city is worse than it gets on the highway! Fix my defective car!"
post #207 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post

A bit harsh when someone is just quoting another article. But hey, that same blog has a couple of articles that are pro-Apple:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100718025521

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100724101442

Kinda defeats the notion about inherent bias.

Thanks, man. My point exactly. Glad to see not everyone is clouded by one-sided passion, not that passion is a bad thing.
post #208 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

My 2008 Mac Book battery has expanded within the computer and the Apple online tech guy said it was a normal occurrence for safety reasons. That was a lie. The battery only had 19 cycles on it since it is mostly used as a desktop computer. If Apple doesn't acknowledge this as a defective unit after only 19 months I'll stop dealing with Apple too. I didn't buy Applecare. I dual booted Linux on an HP computer in part because of this situation. I'm preparing to give up on Apple if they don't act responsibly and replace this defective battery.

I think you misunderstand how Li-ion batteries work.

A 19 month old battery with only 19 cycles is EXACTLY how to kill a battery. Li-ion batteries hate to be float charged all the time without cycling. Your battery would be doing much better if you had cycled it more often. I'd make sure you cycle it once a week minimum. In fact your macbook manual tells you this, so you can't blame apple.
post #209 of 271
I keep coming back to these articles to see if the postings are still lame. They are...especially all the "analogies" of crashing cars, cars not running, pickles not dill enough, shirt collars not stiff enough. But I digress. Maybe Monday's articles will bring some fresh discussion topics. The iPhone antenna story is done. Stick a fork in it.
post #210 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post

Putting on a case effectively puts the antenna inside!

Which is exactly why Apple decided to Give Them Out For Free until they can reengineer the antenna system.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #211 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I keep coming back to these articles to see if the postings are still lame. They are...especially all the "analogies" of crashing cars, cars not running, pickles not dill enough, shirt collars not stiff enough. But I digress. Maybe Monday's articles will bring some fresh discussion topics. The iPhone antenna story is done. Stick a fork in it.

Just don't stick said fork near the area on the iPhone 4 that easily attenuates when covered...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #212 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Being an optimist, he's finally figured out how to use a search engine so perhaps he'll learn to utilize it before posting nonsense like this in the future.

Now that's some serious trolling you're doing there...

You might at least try to stay on topic, rather than just causing disruptions by posting irrelevant, inflammatory, extraneous, and off -topic messages.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #213 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Just don't stick said fork near the area on the iPhone 4 that easily attenuates when covered...

It's still done. There's no more story here. Well I did hear that each iP4 now comes with a piece of silly putty to appease the people who aren't buying one anyway.
post #214 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

It's still done. There's no more story here. Well I did hear that each iP4 now comes with a piece of silly putty to appease the people who aren't buying one anyway.

Why not just ignore this thread? Let's face it, you love being given a reason to belittle people. You should thank us for allowing you to stroke your own ego.
post #215 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I keep coming back to these articles to see if the postings are still lame. They are...especially all the "analogies" of crashing cars, cars not running, pickles not dill enough, shirt collars not stiff enough. But I digress. Maybe Monday's articles will bring some fresh discussion topics. The iPhone antenna story is done. Stick a fork in it.

Hmmmm...

It's on the premier Apple fansite news page, yet you claim the story's done? That seems more like wishful thinking than any reflection of the reality of the situation.
post #216 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Being an optimist, he's finally figured out how to use a search engine so perhaps he'll learn to utilize it before posting nonsense like this in the future.

I wonder how many of your 17,000+ posts would remain if all those with personal attacks, and posts to like-thinking AI members containing put-downs of people who disagree with you, were removed.

post #217 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post

A bit harsh when someone is just quoting another article. But hey, that same blog has a couple of articles that are pro-Apple:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100718025521

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100724101442

Kinda defeats the notion about inherent bias.

The first article is not at all pro Apple. The second article is more neutral, short, and really just a blurb about another story elsewhere that's been all over every site. I don't see how this defeats the notion of inherent bias at all. When you label anything not anti Apple as the "fanboys", I think that says it all.
post #218 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Now that's some serious trolling you're doing there...

You might at least try to stay on topic, rather than just causing disruptions by posting irrelevant, inflammatory, extraneous, and off -topic messages.

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny coming from you. What? You don't like having it pointed out how ridiculous you are? There's a solution to that, and it's already been suggested to you.
post #219 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Hmmmm...

It's on the premier Apple fansite news page, yet you claim the story's done? That seems more like wishful thinking than any reflection of the reality of the situation.

Well, AI is no less a hit whore than any other blog.
post #220 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

I wonder how many of your 17,000+ posts would remain if all those with personal attacks, and posts to like-thinking AI members containing put-downs of people who disagree with you, were removed.


16,875. You can count them if you don't believe me.
post #221 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

All phones suffer from death grip.

Only the iPhone 4 suffers from the finger of death (and it's not that common):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw

Why is everyone (including Apple) obsessed with death grip when it isn't the real issue here?

I just got the first 5 of our iphones in and while I can get them all to drop a bar or two, I can't get any of them to drop a call because of it. I suspect that Apple has made some tweaks since this all broke.
post #222 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

16,875. You can count them if you don't believe me.

So you're solipsism as well as anonymouse? If I ever get the 85 spare days or so I'd need to count them, I promise faithfully to do just that. Meantime I'll take your obviously well-documented count with the trust that I know you'd extend to me.
post #223 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I just got the first 5 of our iphones in and while I can get them all to drop a bar or two, I can't get any of them to drop a call because of it. I suspect that Apple has made some tweaks since this all broke.

No. I suspect you are seeing the same thing almost everybody has seen since day one. Bars don't drop in most places. That's the way it's always been. Doesn't mean apple changed a thing. You're just not suffering from a problem very few people have.
post #224 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, AI is no less a hit whore than any other blog.

And the topic's a hit magnet because apparently it's "not done yet".

I note you've popped by for a visit to my profile. Was it enlightening?
post #225 of 271
Cool! I'm apparently anonymouse and he is me. Is this like a Father, Son & Holy Ghost sort of oneness or a Voltron like union? I vote for latter.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #226 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I just got the first 5 of our iphones in and while I can get them all to drop a bar or two, I can't get any of them to drop a call because of it. I suspect that Apple has made some tweaks since this all broke.

Well Apple did update the software to 4.01, which makes the bars more accurate, it doesn't stop the droidtard army posting links to the old videos which show more bars dropping.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #227 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

So you're solipsism as well as anonymouse?

You are as right about that as you are about everything else.
post #228 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cool! I'm apparently anonymouse and he is me. Is this like a Father, Son & Holy Ghost sort of oneness or a Voltron like union? I vote for latter.

Or The Walrus perhaps...

But no, the comment was about anonymouse answering for you. I have a feeling you already knew that, though it may be you hadn't seen that possibility. However, you probably do now.

It's interesting how many times posters address something explicitly to another, yet that person doesn't answer it and instead some other poster answers for them.

Sort of a 'tag-team smackdown' approach to forum responses.
post #229 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

And the topic's a hit magnet because apparently it's "not done yet".

I note you've popped by for a visit to my profile. Was it enlightening?

It's a hit magnet because trolls like you want to keep spinning your BS.

An accidental click, was intent on gathering stats on your posts.
post #230 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You are as right about that as you are about everything else.

Thanks.

So, anything interesting in my profile?
post #231 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's a hit magnet because trolls like you want to keep spinning your BS.

An accidental click, was intent on gathering stats on your posts.

Ah, the old 'insults because you have no valid argument' technique again Mr anonymouse. If you have some actual counter to my point, feel free to post it. Meantime, my point still stands - the topic is obviously not "done" yet.

Accidental click, huh?
Yeah, right.
post #232 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cool! I'm apparently anonymouse and he is me. Is this like a Father, Son & Holy Ghost sort of oneness or a Voltron like union? I vote for latter.

Voltron? He's the 4th musketeer, right?
post #233 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Ah, the old 'insults because you have no valid argument' technique again Mr anonymouse. If you have some actual counter to my point, feel free to post it.

Well, there's nothing really left to say on this non-issue other than repeat refutations of repetitious rewordings of the same discredited accusations, so, we might as well talk about why we are all here.
post #234 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Or The Walrus perhaps...

But no, the comment was about anonymouse answering for you. I have a feeling you already knew that, though it may be you hadn't seen that possibility. However, you probably do now.

It's interesting how many times posters address something explicitly to another, yet that person doesn't answer it and instead some other poster answers for them.

Sort of a 'tag-team smackdown' approach to forum responses.

FYI: This is an open, public forum. All comments and queries, even when quoting another user in the reply are for all to read and comment. If one wants private discourse they should create a PM or use IM or email, if they are offered up that information, and expect others to do the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Voltron? He's the 4th musketeer, right?

I think that’s Voldemort.



PS: Well, DaHarder and Chopper have seen to it that Cretin’s Law is in effect so I’ll be ignoring this thread until it’s back on topic.

PPS: I blame the Nazis! (now Godwin’s Law has been invoked).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #235 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

So you're solipsism as well as anonymouse? If I ever get the 85 spare days or so I'd need to count them, I promise faithfully to do just that. Meantime I'll take your obviously well-documented count with the trust that I know you'd extend to me.

I was under the impression that this 'duality of personality' was already widely known, as he/she slips up often enough to make it rather obvious.

Well, I guess it's one way to always ensure that there'll be post to substatiate your claims, regardless of their validity...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #236 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny coming from you. What? You don't like having it pointed out how ridiculous you are? There's a solution to that, and it's already been suggested to you.

... and from which of your many AI Screen names did this 'pointing out' originate?

It's sometimes difficult to keep track since you have so many -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #237 of 271
An ignore button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Thanks.

So, anything interesting in my profile?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #238 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FYI: This is an open, public forum. All comments and queries, even when quoting another user in the reply are for all to read and comment. If one wants private discourse they should create a PM or use IM or email, if they are offered up that information, and expect others to do the same.

Poor attempt at a strawman. I was looking for public discourse with you, which is why the comment isn't a PM, so your comment is moot. It's telling that you chose not to respond to that post, but you're happy to put up a strawman to demolish.

post #239 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

An ignore button.

There's an ignore button in my profile?
post #240 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Your the one that's confused.

The issue isn't the "finger of death." The issue is blocking the signal by means of the users hand, and related to that, the dropping of calls.

Apple's antenna is on the outside, therefore it's more sensitive to the issue. No one at Apple has ever denied that, they have even touted the extra sensitivity as a good thing. All phones have the issue, most of the time they don't drop calls however.

If you hold the iPhone in a natural way, it won't suffer from this and won't drop calls. If you insist on holding your finger over the antenna, it will drop bars, but for the most part still won't drop the call. If you are in a marginal signal area while participating in such hijinks, you might drop the call.

I hold my iPhone in my left hand exclusively while making a call but I never get my fingers near that spot unless I contort myself on purpose. It's a non-issue because it's almost impossible to reproduce for the vast majority of users.

I feel sorry for you if you hold your phone that way and also live in a low signal area, but that doesn't make it an issue for the rest of us. Try holding the phone with your fingers like most folks do instead of slapping it to the side of your head with your entire hand cupped around it (the only way you'd see any problem at all).

It's not healthy to have the antenna touching your face anyway. A more normal grip would eliminate your problem with the signal as well as make it less likely you will get jaw cancer or something.

I have to disagree with ya Proffessor...I have an HTC Hero on Alltel Wireless and no matter what I do or how I hold my phone by the top (where the antenna is) the very most I drop is 1 bar from 5 and even that is not every single time.....so NO...all phones do NOT suffer from this bullshit Apple is trying to blame everyone for.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page