or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › 64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application

64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application

post #1 of 177
Apple's iLife '11 suite will launch in August for $79, with all included applications being 64-bit, including a new "mystery" addition, a rumor suggests.

French Apple website Mac4Ever (via Google Translate) reported last week that iLife '11 will launch soon, on Saturday, August 7. The updated application suite is said to include improvements in the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and will reportedly add greater integration with social networking sites.

Citing a "well informed" source, the site also said that iWeb will be brand new, and iLife '11 will include a new "mystery" application. It also said that iDVD will not be included, and instead will be downloaded like iMovie HD. Finally, the update will also reportedly include a MobileMe gallery beta with Faces and Places.

The iLife suite currently includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb. The software is included on every new Mac. The last update, iLife '09, launched in January of 2009, with major upgrades to all of its applications, including the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and the addition of the Precision Editor to iMovie.

In January, Apple was rumored to introduce iLife 2010, a report that didn't pan out. Instead, the Cupertino, Calif., company held a special event to introduce the iPad.
post #2 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor suggests that Apple's iLife '11 suite will launch in August for $79, with all included applications being 64-bit, including a new "mystery" addition.

iHTML5!!!!!
post #3 of 177
Maybe they could make iPhoto more transparent. You know, maybe where you could see your pictures in a folder in finder under the name you save them as rather than some mystical number.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #4 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

iHTML5!!!!!

No really can't wait. I am sure I will love the new iPhoto, which is pretty much my favorite app on my Mac
post #5 of 177
Quote:

ihtml5!!!!!

Yeah, that would be great, but I'd love to see Garageband get integrated control surface support with a new iPad app from Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 177
Quote:

iHTML5!!!!!

Well, that would be part of iWeb, so probably not the "mystery application".
post #7 of 177
So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore.

2) iPaint - The paint and drawing app you've always wanted for the Mac. etc. etc. etc.

3) FaceTime - A long-shot because iChat is already integrated in the OS, not iLife; but including this in iLife will allow them to update/add it without having to wait for an OS revision.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #8 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, that would be part of iWeb, so probably not the "mystery application".

I am not so sure about that. If you want to use the Canvas in a large extend (and they invented it so i think they will want that) you will need a separate app much like Flash is not included in Dreamweaver. So maybe not iHTML5 but more something like iCanvas.
post #9 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore. ...

iBooks for Mac OS would be nice. Even if it's not ideal reading on a computer screen, being able to access books for reference purposes would be great. However, I suspect that since iLife isn't available for Windows, and iBooks ties into the whole iTunes/iDevice ecosystem, that they won't tie iBooks to iLife.
post #10 of 177
What has been missing since day one of the iLife suite? The original killer app on the Mac platform? iPaint!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #11 of 177
iDVD will not be included?????
huh
thank goodness I have Final Cut Studio
no wait, when will they discontinue DVD Studio Pro
what insanity

as for the mystery app - I think that it will be an image editor or some scaled down version of Apple Motion that has some image editing capabilities
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
post #12 of 177
Quote:

iBooks for Mac OS would be nice. Even if it's not ideal reading on a computer screen, being able to access books for reference purposes would be great. However, I suspect that since iLife isn't available for Windows, and iBooks ties into the whole iTunes/iDevice ecosystem, that they won't tie iBooks to iLife.

Ahhh, smart. I had forgotten about that.
post #13 of 177
Quote:

I am not so sure about that. If you want to use the Canvas in a large extend (and they invented it so i think they will want that) you will need a separate app much like Flash is not included in Dreamweaver. So maybe not iHTML5 but more something like iCanvas.

Possible. That could simply be folded into iWeb, but it might make more sense as a separate app. I certainly have no good ideas what the mystery app, if there is one, might be.

Although, I could be wrong about iBooks. iMovie is sort of the same situation now. Well, maybe not, though.
post #14 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

What has been missing since day one of the iLife suite? ...

Hypercard 4.0?

Although, iHypercard is a little awkward to pronounce.
post #15 of 177
Currently, the iLife applications are : iPhoto, iMove, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb.

For an application to be part of an iLife package, it must have the ability to Create, Archive, and Distribute(Shared). It also must be something the whole family can enjoy, easy to use, learn and the final output good is enough to be compared with the content produced with Pro apps.

What would the mystery application be?
post #16 of 177
What's the betting that they also drop PowerPC support? Unless they improve the speed of Places (and maybe Faces), then I don't think it'll be one for my iMac G5.
post #17 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

What's the betting that they also drop PowerPC support? Unless they improve the speed of Places (and maybe Faces), then I don't think it'll be one for my iMac G5.

They dropped it. If only to speed things up, which we all know is much appreciated for any program.
post #18 of 177
It would be nice if Apple would do domain registrations for iWeb/MobileMe sites. I know you can register with a 3rd party and use it with MobileMe but it would be nice to have an all-in-one solution.
post #19 of 177
I really hope iWeb is more flexible.
post #20 of 177
Quote:

They dropped it. If only to speed things up, which we all know is much appreciated for any program.

When? My iMac is running iLife '09, the current one for now.
post #21 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It would be nice if Apple would do domain registrations for iWeb/MobileMe sites. I know you can register with a 3rd party and use it with MobileMe but it would be nice to have an all-in-one solution.

Yeah, there's a lot of things I would like Apple to add to iWeb. Even something basic like text editing of the webpage code would be very helpful. I have been using it for the past week to set up my website I bought with GoDaddy, and while the tutorials from GoDaddy were invaluable to helping me get iWeb to host my site on MobileMe, it's neither perfect, nor easy to do so. It took me about 3 hours in all to get everything set up and registered with iWeb, and there were quite a few times where I know that someone less technical than me would have either given up, or horribly broken the site messing in the DNS records.
post #22 of 177
iApp - an Automator-like program for making basic apps for one's iPhone, pod, pad?
post #23 of 177
Hmmm, a mystery app. This is interesting. I am surprised by the idea that they could axe iDVD, because how would we then use the superdrive? You have to be able to author DVDs somehow. Unless they will be replacing it with something new like iBluray? You never know. On the other hand, if they do axe iDVD, and do not offer a replacement tool, then I am totally stumped.

Maybe Apple wants to make iLife a single integrated app, with subcomponents that provide the previously separate functionality? One app that does it all seemlessly? I'm not sure if this would make sense or have any downsides.
post #24 of 177
Quote:

When? My iMac is running iLife '09, the current one for now.

No, I wasn't speaking of the current '09 version. I was referencing the new '10/'11 version as dropping PowerPC support. Most PowerPC computers can't handle a lot of the new features anyway, such as iMovie '08, so I would expect them to want to clean up the code by dropping it, similar to Snow Leopard.
post #25 of 177
I vote for FaceTime-iChat integration to extend the features of the iPhone 4.
post #26 of 177
Quote:

No, I wasn't speaking of the current '09 version. I was referencing the new '10/'11 version as dropping PowerPC support. Most PowerPC computers can't handle a lot of the new features anyway, such as iMovie '08, so I would expect them to want to clean up the code by dropping it, similar to Snow Leopard.

So you're speculating then. To be honest, it's all much of a muchness to me. I don't think my iMac will really be up to the task. However, my iMac runs the latest iMovie without a problem (even though it is slightly below spec).
post #27 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Hmmm, a mystery app. This is interesting. I am surprised by the idea that they could axe iDVD, because how would we then use the superdrive? You have to be able to author DVDs somehow. Unless they will be replacing it with something new like iBluray? You never know. On the other hand, if they do axe iDVD, and do not offer a replacement tool, then I am totally stumped.

Maybe Apple wants to make iLife a single integrated app, with subcomponents that provide the previously separate functionality? One app that does it all seemlessly? I'm not sure if this would make sense or have any downsides.

First, iDVD would do well to be integrated into iMovie, as they are very interrelated. Second, it would be horrible to make it a single integrated app, because you would end up with something like iTunes' bloated software. It would almost be like adding up all the load times of each application (when even one is fairly slow now).
post #28 of 177
It'll be facetime
post #29 of 177
I like the surface idea for GarageBand, but when Google came up with its modular way for people to create their own apps, I thought, "That's what Apple would do."

In the tradition of Automator and creating your own widgets from webpages, I think Apple should come up with programming for the rest of us. Can iApps be put together like puzzle pieces? It seems that Apple has been doing that with developer environments for a while and while WebOS and Android have been able to evolve more efficient ways of coding programs, and Apple has been moving to the post-OS world via iOS, I would think this could be a compelling addition.

iWeb is going to change, hopefully to be more intuitive and modular, so why not open things up even more. If you can make movie editing easy with iMovie, I bet Apple could make iOS programming easy with iDev!!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #30 of 177
Quote:

So you're speculating then. To be honest, it's all much of a muchness to me. I don't think my iMac will really be up to the task. However, my iMac runs the latest iMovie without a problem (even though it is slightly below spec).

Lol, yes I'm speculating, as that's what we do here on AppleInsider. However, like most good speculation, it is based on good premises and logical thought. You can predict much by looking at history. Shoot, predicting this year's new iPod Touch is almost laughably easy based on past experience. While minute details are not certain, most of the headliners are 95% predictable.

Also, if you have an Intel iMac, you should be fine. It is really only PowerPC people who should not keep their hopes up. Actually, I'm halfway surprised Apple hasn't split iTunes for Mac into 2 separate versions for Intel and PowerPC Mac users, as that would probably significantly speed up iTunes for all Mac users.
post #31 of 177
Quote:

First, iDVD would do well to be integrated into iMovie, as they are very interrelated. Second, it would be horrible to make it a single integrated app, because you would end up with something like iTunes' bloated software. It would almost be like adding up all the load times of each application (when even one is fairly slow now).

Yeah, at present, each of the iLife apps performs a pretty distinct function. iTunes is all about managing one's iContent. So, combining the iLife apps wouldn't really make sense.
post #32 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

I like the surface idea for GarageBand, but when Google came up with its modular way for people to create their own apps, I thought, "That's what Apple would do."

In the tradition of Automator and creating your own widgets from webpages, I think Apple should come up with programming for the rest of us. Can iApps be put together like puzzle pieces? It seems that Apple has been doing that with developer environments for a while and while WebOS and Android have been able to evolve more efficient ways of coding programs, and Apple has been moving to the post-OS world via iOS, I would think this could be a compelling addition.

iWeb is going to change, hopefully to be more intuitive and modular, so why not open things up even more. If you can make movie editing easy with iMovie, I bet Apple could make iOS programming easy with iDev!!

The thing is, the best apps are not going to be created like that.* The apps that really stand out and are great, do things which are original, or ingenious. The dev tools Apple has already provided for iOS developers are already very easy, while enabling very powerful programming. It's not quite like the iWeb thought process, where a cookie cutter works very well. It's more...creative.

* Note: this is an opinion.
post #33 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Maybe they could make iPhoto more transparent. You know, maybe where you could see your pictures in a folder in finder under the name you save them as rather than some mystical number.

I have never had a need to dig into the iPhoto Folder hierarchy. Why do you want to do that? I occasionally need to work on separate copies of images that I don't want to include in my iPhoto archive in which case I drag those images to a folder on the desktop, do whatever I need to, and save them in an alternative / relevant spot.
post #34 of 177
Quote:

Hypercard 4.0?

Although, iHypercard is a little awkward to pronounce.

Oh come on, there's enough hype in the world already. On the other hand you can never have enough paint! Although that's probably not true either...
Buddha
Buddha
post #35 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Currently, the iLife applications are : iPhoto, iMove, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb.

For an application to be part of an iLife package, it must have the ability to Create, Archive, and Distribute(Shared). It also must be something the whole family can enjoy, easy to use, learn and the final output good is enough to be compared with the content produced with Pro apps.

What would the mystery application be?

A FaceTime OS X application that allows you to share images and video clips during a call makes sense to market as an iLife application. If/when that happens, I think iChat would be reworked and rebranded as FaceTime.

That sounds more like a feature for OS X 10.7 in 2011, but maybe Apple wants to get in front of the wave and push broad standardization of FaceTime before then and allow FaceTime to run on OS X 10.6 and 10.5.
post #36 of 177
a new mystery application... but the curiouser thing is the deletion of iDVD. This would fit with Apple's long held disdain for disk based media. DVDs are the only media that Apple still supports since they killed off the floppy disk over 10 years ago and have ignored the Blu-Ray format... is this heralding the impending removal of DVD player/recorders from upcoming Macs? It would be in keeping with the trend started with the MacBook Air and iPad and would encourage the adoption of streaming rentals and online purchasing of movies. Retail channel rumors already suggest that iMacs and the entire Mac Pro line are about to be refreshed. Will we see them without DVD drives?
post #37 of 177
Quote:

iDVD is necessary for Final Cut Express users, and for people who still use iMovie HD (like me). Apple hasn't improved iDVD for a few years now - I hope they don't let it die.
post #38 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Oh come on, there's enough hype in the world already. On the other hand you can never have enough paint! Although that's probably not true either...

Well, the only reason I mention Hypercard 4.0 is that, out of the blue, John Gruber had a bit on Hypercard 3.0 (which never shipped) on Daring Fireball the other day.
post #39 of 177
iBluray? Yes!
post #40 of 177
It going to be iPhone for the Mac, a VOIP-Messaging client. Get with it folks! Facetime
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › 64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application