or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS 10.6.5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS 10.6.5

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
The next bug fix and maintenance release for Apple's Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard operating has progressed through the company's internal verification process and will soon make its way to developers for broader testing.

People familiar with the matter say a limited number of developers are expecting the first external pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.6.5 over the next 48 hours. A wider release accessible to all paid Apple developers could come as early as this weekend.

Though it's unclear just yet what enhancements Apple's planning to incorporate into the release, graphics driver and OpenGL performance is expected to remain a priority in 10.6.5, as it has in previous Snow Leopard updates.

After installing Mac OS X 10.6.4, released last month, users began reporting an assortment of graphics issues ranging from choppy video performance to sporadic corruption issues within Safari.

For their part, game makers Blizzard and Valve have both suggested that graphics issues related to some of their newer titles may be due to changes in the OpenGL implementation that shipped as part of Mac OS X 10.6.4.

"The recent 10.6.4 update from Apple has noticeable performance issues for NVidia graphic chip owners running high performance games," wrote a Valve support rep. "If you wish to avoid this, you should consider waiting to install the 10.6.4 update until Apple has had the opportunity to address this issue."

An example of graphics corruption in Safari after installing Mac OS X 10.6.4.

A pair of discussion threads (1, 2) on Apple's official support forums offer a rundown of other graphics issues reported by users.
post #2 of 26
My iMacs/MacBook Pros (and last remaining MacBook) have been rock solid since the last round of updates, though further improvement is always welcome.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 26
Bring it on.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #4 of 26
that screenshot of a corrupted safari reminds me of what IE 6 used to look like.
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

that screenshot of a corrupted safari reminds me of what IE 6 used to look like.

I see similar graphics corruption but usually only when I have VMWare running. 3rd party apps could very much be a culprit for this kind of stuff.

I've never had the graphics stay on the screen though, they always appear momentarily and then vanish for good.
post #6 of 26
The only time I see that issue is when I am using Safari to view Facebook and there is a lot of flash content on the page, like in Mafia Wars for example.
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

The only time I see that issue is when I am using Safari to view Facebook and there is a lot of flash content on the page, like in Mafia Wars for example.

Don't do that and you won't see that issue.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Don't do that and you won't see that issue.

There is no corruption issue

-steve

sent from my PC
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

The only time I see that issue is when I am using Safari to view Facebook and there is a lot of flash content on the page, like in Mafia Wars for example.

Maybe the corruption is associated with the mafia?
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

Maybe the corruption is associated with the mafia?

Maybe, just maybe, it might be associated with Flash as well
post #11 of 26
I think I was reading here a few weeks ago that developers had found the first signs of TRIM command support in some unreleased build of Mac OS X. Does anyone remember which oS build they were referring to?

With SSDs set to gain popularity in the coming months and years, it seems the time is right for Apple to get on the bandwagon.
post #12 of 26
That graphics corruption has been around in 10.6.3 as well! Maybe even before that, I don't recall anymore...
post #13 of 26
Apple (or, rather, Steve Jobs') notion of a credible Graphics Driver Developer as part of the OS X team is a monkey who plays around with a steering wheel attached to one Etch A Sketch knob (steering both knobs simultaneously would blow its mind).
post #14 of 26
I was a 'fortunate' beta tester for Starcraft 2 and, based on the painstakingly sluggish game-play experience, will not be purchasing Starcraft 2 until (if?) Apple releases an update addressing the significant graphics issues.

For reference, here are my MBP's specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB VRAM

Mac OS X 10.6.4


So for now, I will save the $59.99 plus 6.25% sales tax and wait for Apple to put forth a "fix". Otherwise, I will consider their apathy a blessing in disguise (save some cash).
http://facebook.com/jdanek630

The size of the shadow never indicates the size of the man.
Reply
http://facebook.com/jdanek630

The size of the shadow never indicates the size of the man.
Reply
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

The only time I see that issue is when I am using Safari to view Facebook and there is a lot of flash content on the page, like in Mafia Wars for example.

Have you tried ClickToFlash?
post #16 of 26
Fix battery and Safari

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #17 of 26
The 10.6 point releases seem to stay in testing for a long time, so I wouldn't expect this any time soon.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Don't do that and you won't see that issue.


If you're having a problem with your computer it may be because you're using it. When your Mac is not switched on we expect no output from it. This is in fact the case, Apple products deliver this expected outcome 100% of the time - therefore your Mac always operates as expected when not switched on. Apple's products have operated with this consistency since 1976!

Also, when using stuff, like knives, forks and mobile phones, be sure to hold them such that they work in a useful fashion.

Just sayin'

;-)
post #19 of 26
I wish they would fix the issue I have with my USB external drive that I use for Time Machine. If the mac goes to sleep, I get an error that my USB disk hadn't been ejected correctly.

Apple support, if you real this, please fix! TY!
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

I was a 'fortunate' beta tester for Starcraft 2 and, based on the painstakingly sluggish game-play experience, will not be purchasing Starcraft 2 until (if?) Apple releases an update addressing the significant graphics issues.

For reference, here are my MBP's specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB VRAM

Mac OS X 10.6.4


So for now, I will save the $59.99 plus 6.25% sales tax and wait for Apple to put forth a "fix". Otherwise, I will consider their apathy a blessing in disguise (save some cash).

Your analysis powers must be really amazing.

You're running a beta version of Starcraft and it's buggy. Yet somehow, you have discerned just from running the app that it's Apple's fault and not Starcraft's fault.

Where did you get your crystal ball? I'd like one, too.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Your analysis powers must be really amazing.

You're running a beta version of Starcraft and it's buggy. Yet somehow, you have discerned just from running the app that it's Apple's fault and not Starcraft's fault.

Where did you get your crystal ball? I'd like one, too.



Thanks for being an uncalled for snob. Did you even read the article?

Citation:

For their part, game makers Blizzard and Valve have both suggested that graphics issues related to some of their newer titles may be due to changes in the OpenGL implementation that shipped as part of Mac OS X 10.6.4.

"The recent 10.6.4 update from Apple has noticeable performance issues for NVidia graphic chip owners running high performance games," wrote a Valve support rep. "If you wish to avoid this, you should consider waiting to install the 10.6.4 update until Apple has had the opportunity to address this issue."


In case you're not aware, Starcraft 2 is developed by Blizzard.
http://facebook.com/jdanek630

The size of the shadow never indicates the size of the man.
Reply
http://facebook.com/jdanek630

The size of the shadow never indicates the size of the man.
Reply
post #22 of 26
I can attest that StarCraft 2 seems to be running fine on ultra for me, granted I have a early 2009 macpro with ATI 4870 and 10GB ram.

I've noticed a bunch of people complaining on using low settings and what-not even on macpro's so I figure people should know that there are mac users enjoying SC2 at it's fullest potential. Granted the quantity of RAM I have may be the reason... it does seem to be significantly higher than other people that posted specs.
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodycelt View Post

I can attest that StarCraft 2 seems to be running fine on ultra for me, granted I have a early 2009 macpro with ATI 4870 and 10GB ram.

I've noticed a bunch of people complaining on using low settings and what-not even on macpro's so I figure people should know that there are mac users enjoying SC2 at it's fullest potential. Granted the quantity of RAM I have may be the reason... it does seem to be significantly higher than other people that posted specs.

I tried playing the shipped version of Starcraft 2 on my 2008 Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, with the Nvidia 8800 card, and the performance was atrocious. Ran the game via Boot Camp on Windows, using the same hardware, and it was perfect.

The problem seems to be the Nvidia drivers, which would explain why you aren't having the same problems.

I just wish there was a greater selection of Mac-enabled video cards to choose from. I would love to get a better video card from ATI but there don't seem to be any on offer in the Apple Store that are a step up.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

I tried playing the shipped version of Starcraft 2 on my 2008 Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, with the Nvidia 8800 card, and the performance was atrocious. Ran the game via Boot Camp on Windows, using the same hardware, and it was perfect.

The problem seems to be the Nvidia drivers, which would explain why you aren't having the same problems.

I just wish there was a greater selection of Mac-enabled video cards to choose from. I would love to get a better video card from ATI but there don't seem to be any on offer in the Apple Store that are a step up.

I know there are issues, but I have a 9600GT 512mb, with 4gb ram, and 3ghz duo, and I run StarCraft 2 fine in medium mode.

It WAS slow but then I remember to go to "energy saver" in the "system preferences" and select Higher Performance. Then everything was ok. (on medium).

Try that if you haven't already but i will say the game still runs worse than I would have thought.

What settings are you using in Boot Camp? low, medium, high or Ultra?
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by solexowenus View Post

COPY PASTE OF comment #5.

For any member that doubts that these guys are spammers.... read this from the sig link:

"Forum Link Building - Key Features
\tWe post valuable content related to your website only in forums that come with a dofollow characteristic.
\tContent is posted in only those forums which have a high page rank.
\tGet one-way permanent links and no exchanging of links with any other third party.
\tRegular creation of new threads or posts to post them in forums of high PR status.
\tDeep linking is very much possible.
\tReports showing progress are submitted at regular intervals.
\tA range of packages to choose from that come at affordable prices.
\t
How we do it?\t
We post information rich content that is appropriate to your website in dofollow forums along with the target links which look like a signature at the end of every forum post. As mentioned earlier, as the search engines love such forums that offer relevant and information rich content, the chances of your website getting a high rank also are enhanced. We create new posts or threads at regular intervals of time so that the content posted also is fresh and new. Acquiring links from high ranked forums is a unique service we provide to our clients. So you can be assured that you will be getting high PR links."
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The next bug fix and maintenance release for Apple's Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard operating has progressed through the company's internal verification process and will soon make its way to developers for broader testing.

People familiar with the matter say a limited number of developers are expecting the first external pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.6.5 over the next 48 hours. A wider release accessible to all paid Apple developers could come as early as this weekend.

Though it's unclear just yet what enhancements Apple's planning to incorporate into the release, graphics driver and OpenGL performance is expected to remain a priority in 10.6.5, as it has in previous Snow Leopard updates.

After installing Mac OS X 10.6.4, released last month, users began reporting an assortment of graphics issues ranging from choppy video performance to sporadic corruption issues within Safari.

For their part, game makers Blizzard and Valve have both suggested that graphics issues related to some of their newer titles may be due to changes in the OpenGL implementation that shipped as part of Mac OS X 10.6.4.

"The recent 10.6.4 update from Apple has noticeable performance issues for NVidia graphic chip owners running high performance games," wrote a Valve support rep. "If you wish to avoid this, you should consider waiting to install the 10.6.4 update until Apple has had the opportunity to address this issue."

An example of graphics corruption in Safari after installing Mac OS X 10.6.4.

A pair of discussion threads (1, 2) on Apple's official support forums offer a rundown of other graphics issues reported by users.

i cannot follow dudes.
- -!
jz joined here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS 10.6.5