or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources reveal specs of Apple's iMac refresh

Sources reveal specs of Apple's iMac refresh

post #1 of 30
Apple on Tuesday will update its iMac line of desktops, with both the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models receiving processor speeds ranging from 3.06GHz to a 2.8GHz quad-core model.

According to a person familiar with the matter, Apple on Tuesday will introduce four new iMac models. Currently, its online store is down in anticipation of new products.

The 21.5-inch iMac desktop will be offered with 3.06GHz and 3.2GHz processors, as well as 4GB of RAM standard. The 27-inch models will come with 3.2GHz of speed, and a 2.8GHz quad-core processor. Both of the big-screen iMacs have 4GB of RAM as well, and a standard 1TB hard drive.

The details of the new models are:

MC508LL/A - IMAC 21.5"/3.06/2X2GB/500GB/4670/SD-USA
MC509LL/A - IMAC 21.5"/3.20/2X2GB/1TB/5670/SD-USA
MC510LL/A - IMAC 27"/3.20/2X2GB/1TB/5670/SD-USA
MC511LL/A - IMAC 27"/2.8QC/2X2GB/1TB/5750/SD-USA
post #2 of 30
Hmm... Maybe time for a low end iMac this Chirstmas. We've been needing a second computer around the house more and more with the little one getting older. Have to really check the funds to see if I can squeeze one of these under the tree this year.
post #3 of 30
Apple Store are down

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #4 of 30
NO MATTE SCREEN. NO BUY IMAC. Period.
post #5 of 30
And Magic Trackpad!

Giovanni B. Saccone
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #6 of 30
Nothing about a GPU update which is more important than the CPU these days. Plus clarity in this article is lacking.

No big deal info from the horses mouth should be here soon.

Dave
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

You do realize you can add a second monitor and as a pro user I am sure you need dual as I do so you should simply add a matte second one ... problem solved
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #8 of 30
Wow. So the iMac gets two updates in a row and... the Mac Pro nothing?!? What the hell Apple? This is ridiculous. I cannot believe Apple still sells an outdated piece of hardware at brand new prices (Nehalem, come on... everyone else already sells some configuration of Gulftown processors!) I am thoroughly disappointed.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Nothing about a GPU update which is more important than the CPU these days. Plus clarity in this article is lacking.

No big deal info from the horses mouth should be here soon.

Dave

Look at the Model IDS says the GPUs right there 4670 in the base ranging up to 5750
post #10 of 30
The new iMac's specs is already online:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

And a new 27" cinema display as well:
post #11 of 30
Upgraded video cards?
post #12 of 30
The iMac's page on Apple's website has been updated. Their store is still offline...

All CPUs are Core i 3/5/7
Radeon 5670 !

post #13 of 30
It has been announced!!

http://www.apple.com/macpro/
post #14 of 30
Quote:

Take your pathetic whinning else where. Any body with any objectivity would realize matte screens suck.

Dave
post #15 of 30
Store is online!!!
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macodin View Post

Wow. So the iMac gets two updates in a row and... the Mac Pro nothing?!? What the hell Apple? This is ridiculous. I cannot believe Apple still sells an outdated piece of hardware at brand new prices (Nehalem, come on... everyone else already sells some configuration of Gulftown processors!) I am thoroughly disappointed.

I am not sure why the frustration. And the impatience.

By the way, not everyone else sells some configuration of Gulftown processors. And even those that offer or list the option certainly can't say they are really selling them.

But Apple will.
post #17 of 30
Magic trackpad is here!!!
post #18 of 30
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
post #19 of 30
Quote:

Why?

have you actually used one for an extended period of time - it takes about four seconds to engage brain with workspace layout and glare is not an issue. ever.
post #20 of 30

Giovanni B. Saccone
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #21 of 30
Wow, this is new.

Apple Battery Charger
Now there’s a better, more environmentally friendly way to power your wireless keyboard, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, or just about anything that requires AA batteries. The Apple Battery Charger kit comes with a sleek, compact charger and six high-performance AA NiMH batteries that are ready to use right out of the box. The reusable batteries are exceptional at holding a charge and last for up to 10 years. Which means you can finally break the cycle of buying and disposing of those toxic, single-use alkaline batteries.

$29
post #22 of 30
corrected...
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Take your pathetic whinning else where. Any body with any objectivity would realize matte screens suck.

Dave

Depends what you're using the Mac for. If you're a designer then it's likely to be a hinderance in some situations. But it would be somewhat wishful thinking to expect Apple to revert back to the matte screen at this stage.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

No new Mac Pros....

Check before speaking sometimes... It's not because they're not on the store that they will not be updated soon... (Available in August)
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macodin View Post

It has been announced!!

I was't expecting much and this is far less than i expected. I was expecting a major overhaul after the long run on the last model.

It isnt a big deal as i not in the market for a Pro. However fo the people that have waited a very long time i think many will be asking what took so long.

Dave
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsd View Post

The new iMac's specs is already online:

Interesting that these new machines are (potentially) coming out today, yet the pre-loaded ilife is potentially coming out with a new version just next week. hmmmm.
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigebu View Post

Check before speaking sometimes... It's not because they're not on the store that they will not be updated soon... (Available in August)

Lol, I corrected my post literally 30 seconds after you posted, before I saw yours. But thanks for keeping me accountable.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wow, this is new.

Apple Battery Charger
Now theres a better, more environmentally friendly way to power your wireless keyboard, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, or just about anything that requires AA batteries. The Apple Battery Charger kit comes with a sleek, compact charger and six high-performance AA NiMH batteries that are ready to use right out of the box. The reusable batteries are exceptional at holding a charge and last for up to 10 years. Which means you can finally break the cycle of buying and disposing of those toxic, single-use alkaline batteries.

$29

This hits the spot for me, wireless keyboard, mouse AND trackpad !
post #29 of 30
Price is a touch high. I just spec'd a similar PC to the 3.2GHz 21" for under $900. Obviously comparing and ugly box to the iMac is apples and oranges... but still, each time someone goes to buy a new computer they have to justify the extra $600.
post #30 of 30
Apple says on its website that the base model 27" Core i3 supposedly comes with both Hyperthreading and Turbo Boost @ 3.2GHz. The same CPU and the same (erroneous) claim is in the higher-end model of the 21.5" model. There is no i3 that supports TB. I just looked it up to make sure.

I have 16GB of DDR3-1066 RAM. Some of you may have added RAM as well so I checked that out as well: ALL four models with ALL of its upgradable processors support BOTH 1066MHz and 1333MHz DDR3 RAM.

I've had my 21.5" for 2 1/2 weeks and now I want to upgrade. Do I have a shot? I just passed the 14-day return window.

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources reveal specs of Apple's iMac refresh