or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors - Page 6

post #201 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What brand of blu-ray player do you own?

LG BD-590.

I haven't figured out a way to skip the previews and other stuff. Normally pressing "disc menu" or something like it will skip all the nonsense and take me to the main menu, but some discs prevent that. I've probably seen a hundred, maybe more, only a few have been as obnoxious as The Green Zone.

What magic button gets you around this?
A is A
A is A
post #202 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'd say the kind of DRM that makes you play the content on an Apple device.

Can't you run iTunes on anything (don't know, I only use Apple)?

Quote:
Oppo 83 and the PS3 are smokin fast.

Oppo... too much $$$ for something I expect will be outdated in a couple of years. I thought about the PS3 too, decided on the LG. It was "good enough"
A is A
A is A
post #203 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

After doing some part to part price comparisons, I found that the base iMac is a little over 200 dollars more expensive than if you built your own computer with identical specs and chips (including OSX, iLife and iWork).

My serious question to all of you Apple fans, what about the computer is worth the extra money to you?

Serious question to Apple haters, is it worth the 200 dollars to build your own and troubleshoot a hackintosh, or linux, or windows?

(Me personally, I can see pros and cons to both sides.)

Well personally my time is worth FAR FAR more than the $200.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #204 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Oppo... too much $$$ for something I expect will be outdated in a couple of years.

Yeah, still waiting to hear from Prophet Steve when we can expect all the content providers will agree upon a common, fast delivery mechanism for reference quality audio and video with no copy protection that i can play anywhere and only pay once. It may be coming but until then it's wishes and dreams. I'll keep depending on amazon.com and UPS.

-Chris
post #205 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I've done that before and Dell is always far cheaper, but I don't go for the all in one Dell as I have no need of such a design. All I want is a desktop PC, I'm not so short of space that I can't fit a PC case off to one side. As Apple's only non all in one desktops either cost as much as a small planet, or are little toy PCs with no power/expandability.... then the iMac is the only option.

I wouldn't object to Apple's crazy pricing as much (I'm in the UK by the way, where we pay special Apple prices (ie. about 50% higher than in the US) if at least they adopted the latest tech. Blu-Ray and USB 3.0 should have been absolutely top of their list.

And that's exactly why I built my own and I have had zero issues with it and you always know that you can upgrade or change components without having to wait for X company to do it for you. I recently changed the mobo in order to use more and faster RAM and to gain onboard FW; a BR drive would be nice but I can always play those files using VLC and right now I just don't see the use for USB 3.0...

To each his own_if I were to buy an equivalent Mac Pro I would have spent almost twice the cost of this machine and as far as tech support when it comes to hardware I don't need it so as long as I can run OS X natively I am good to go...
X7DWA-N Supermicro mobo,Dual QC 3.0 Xeons, 12Gb RAM, 6 Raptor drives + 500 Gb TM drive, 2x DVR-218L burners, M-Audio 7.1 sound card, Titan 650 case running Leopard 10.6.6,Win7 x64, Linux Fluxbox...
X7DWA-N Supermicro mobo,Dual QC 3.0 Xeons, 12Gb RAM, 6 Raptor drives + 500 Gb TM drive, 2x DVR-218L burners, M-Audio 7.1 sound card, Titan 650 case running Leopard 10.6.6,Win7 x64, Linux Fluxbox...
post #206 of 266
Quote:

What magic button gets you around this?

I click on the next chapter button
post #207 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I click on the next chapter button

Doesn't work with The Green Zone. You get the red X
A is A
A is A
post #208 of 266
A hackintosh isn't without difficulty - it's tedious to get everything working to begin with, and updates tend to break things. It's OK for a determined hacker who doesn't mind such challenges, but for the everyday user a $200 premium isn't that much to pay for the convenience of having everything work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvid36 View Post

And that's exactly why I built my own and I have had zero issues with it

I assume you have zero issues with Apple's copyright either?
A is A
A is A
post #209 of 266
Quote:

Feature for feature, there is no price difference. It's just that Dull and HP offer low, "teaser" prices for their PCs. When you add everything a Mac comes with out of the box, the price is the same. Always has been. Apple isn't stupid about pricing - they simply don't sell low-end gear.

Even if the PC makers were to give away their cheap junk hardware for free, you'd still have to pay Microsoft about $50 for Windows. I don't believe it's even possible to buy a PC without paying the license fee. That is a "tax".

Well, in my comparison both Dell and Alienware had less features, were not all-in-ones and ended up being 30% more expensive

Imagine what would happen were I to compare it to other all-in-ones...

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #210 of 266
Quote:

Can't you run iTunes on anything (don't know, I only use Apple)?

Nope, I can't play the iTunes videos on my PS3, will only run on Apple hardware or Windows computers.
post #211 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Well, in my comparison both Dell and Alienware had less features, were not all-in-ones and ended up being 30% more expensive

I didn't even bring up overall cost of ownership, since Apple hardware doesn't become obsolete whenever an update is released. They easily last twice as long as a Windows counterpart, making the real cost of ownership half as much even if the cost were the same. And the truth as you pointed out, Apple is usually cheaper. More so on the high end.

I've had a couple fence-sitters ask recently, after becoming almost but not quite sold on an Apple computer: "but... doesn't every software update make your computer run slower?"

A is A
A is A
post #212 of 266
Quote:

I didn't even bring up overall cost of ownership, since Apple hardware doesn't become obsolete whenever an update is released. They easily last twice as long as a Windows counterpart, making the real cost of ownership half as much even if the cost were the same. And the truth as you pointed out, Apple is usually cheaper. More so on the high end.

I've had a couple fence-sitters ask recently, after becoming almost but not quite sold on an Apple computer: "but... doesn't every software update make your computer run slower?"

When I upgraded my 2007 C2D Mini to SL, it ran slower on some things, even after clearing out tons of space on the HD. I could do a clean install, but I shouldn't have to - I don't much of anything with it.

And I don't know if you can reliably get more than 3-4 years out of a computer anymore. If I wanted to get the most out of SL, like OpenCL, H.264 acceleration, I would have to buy a new Mac. It's less than 3 years old. Same thing with my PC, which was about 4 years old. Either SW or the OS will force an upgrade, especially with advances in GPGPU applications and other uses of the GPU/multi-core CPU's.
post #213 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

If I wanted to get the most out of SL, like OpenCL, H.264 acceleration, I would have to buy a new Mac.

My iMac just celebrated its tenth birthday, I've been using it just about every day. Completely wore out three mice, and upgraded the HD (of course). Runs Tiger.

I do want a couple new iMacs and now that the i5 is an option, I'll be upgrading. Didn't like the C2D and the 27" is just too big. Nevertheless, it's hard to justify the purchase, they still do the same things I've ever done, they're just faster at it. How much faster do I need to use the internet anyway?

I don't know of any good reason to upgrade to SL. Tiger does everything I need, especially since the release of Safari 4, which is faster than anything I've ever used before. I make full use of ClickToFlash I'm experimenting now with Leopard, but again I'm hard pressed to come up with anything it does better than Tiger.

Mrs. Galt still uses her Powerbook G4 to make iMovies and DVDs, she says it's fast enough for her needs. I think it's 7 years old. My Powerbook is even older. They all work fine.

I think it's reasonable to expect a useful life of over 5 years from these things. Depends what you need to do with 'em.
A is A
A is A
post #214 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

I'm a previous purchaser - in fact I have bought around half a dozen Macs over the years - but I didn't ever try to upgrade in the way that was suggested. While I suppose it might work, I don't see why Apple should even consider it. There was nothing wrong with the computer the poster bought, and this industry has a four-decade long history of quick updates.

As long as I've been using Macs (starting with the switch to Intel), you've been able to return an opened Mac (or iPod) for 14 days, taking a 10% haircut for the restocking fee. This guy said he was at day 11.

If a new model comes out and you are within the 14 day return period, the store manager has complete discretion to waive that restocking fee, esp. if you are trading up to the new model at the same (or higher) pricepoint. Then the "old" iMac goes back to Cali for an overhaul and shows up eventually on the refurb store.

Worst case, he's paying 10% for the privilege. Best case he gets a straight swap. There is no shame in taking advantage of Apple's published policies.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #215 of 266
Quote:

I really have no idea what you are talking about. The iMac looks pretty, if that's what's most important to you, but that fancy metal body won't help much when you try to ripp a BD or plug a UDB 3 hard drive into it.

Specs matter, especially with stuff as absolutely fundamental as optical drives and connectivity.

So why does this matter to you - in particular? Do you in fact own a Mac of any class? Probably not. So why consistently come here to piss in the wheaties of the Apple users here? It doesn't make you look smarter, cleverer or more of a tech than anyone else. In fact there is a classic definition of insanity - repeating the same behavior over and over again, expecting a different result. The entire volume of your contributions do not offer any salient discussion, only continual criticism to an entirely unappreciative audience, with the odd exception of the average newbie who hasn't added you to the ignore list yet.

Your insistence that Blu-Ray is better is a personal opinion - that runs smack up against the wall of contrary user experience, not to mention the licensing and OP issues. And USB 3.0 is not a universal standard yet that has sufficiently mainstreamed to interest Apple enough to include it on this yearly update. There are not many devices out there that take advantage of it yet, so why bother - just to me-too the other PC makers that include it only to list it as a feature? Pretty silly reasoning.

Everyone else:

To the average user - again: those unwashed non- to semi- technical users that constitute the large majority of purchasers - eSATA and the rest are essentially meaningless. What matters is the consistent performance for the usual tasks - and that is what the iMac is built to deliver. iMac has NEVER been about delivering cutting edge anything - we need to drop that little error immediately. It is meant to be an excellent all-round general-purpose computing device for the average user. If it can be configured to suit the needs of a super-user, that's an added bonus - but you guys are in the decided minority, and losing ground fast as Apple eases further into the consumer PC market percentages.

So while it's always fun to toss-off about this feature or that feature, crow about your hack-box that runs a bitchin' GPU that's miles better than the iMac - it is just self-gratification, nothing more, But please, clean-up after your done. *waves hand vaguely* "these are not the iMacs you are looking for. I need to go look at case mods. And over-clock my GPU. And watch some pron from my Blu-ray drive."

There. Not only will you be more satisfied, these threads won't be as long and have so many collapsed/ignored posters.
post #216 of 266
Quote:

And that's exactly why I built my own and I have had zero issues with it and you always know that you can upgrade or change components without having to wait for X company to do it for you. I recently changed the mobo in order to use more and faster RAM and to gain onboard FW; a BR drive would be nice but I can always play those files using VLC and right now I just don't see the use for USB 3.0...

To each his own_if I were to buy an equivalent Mac Pro I would have spent almost twice the cost of this machine and as far as tech support when it comes to hardware I don't need it so as long as I can run OS X natively I am good to go...

It was fun for me to build my own too - servers included, until it cost more time than it was worth. It isn't just about parts costs - and if your time is cheap then by all means dive right in! But my time is worth a lot and all of my Macs out-perform comparable PCs over the long-haul - especially around security and vulnerability, but overall performance as well. If parts cost is all that matters to you - you are doing exactly the right thing - for me, time and effort are too precious to spend puttering around on the components. Ease of use, reliability, service and support all are much more critical to me now than building boxes.
post #217 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwof View Post

I know this borders on being another thread, but..
It seems to me that the overwhelming discussion here about blu ray support
is about watching movies on computers.
This is not the issue really, Mac folks are in large part content creators.
The real need for BR is for back-up of large amounts of data ( on optical not motorized)
and the biggest issue is really this,

- a quote from previous poster-

"hi def video, what exactly are you supposed to do with your masterpiece? Break it up into little pieces and put it in DVD's? Share it with the Mobile Me web gallery?"

and this
"No other format delivers 45mbit 1080p video with lossless 7.1 audio."

Without ways to author a master Hi Def audiophile product on the Mac for the
1st time in Apple history Macs cannot author the content it creates!

what? have to buy windows to do this??..
take your project to someone with a PC..
unthinkable...

We need BRD to author and securely store large volumes of content.
Without this option Mac content creators are at a huge disadvantage..

Come on Steve... at least a BTO burner and a little support...

How tough can it be...

which Blu-ray isn't. Categorically. Most of the content creators I know have storage solutions that are far more robust than Blu-Ray will ever be. Blu-Ray is a consumer grade kludge of a storage solution built to support the resale of existing and sales of future content to the unsuspecting consumer. The fact that the format supports deeper storage is a tangential benefit, not built directly into the marketing profile or intentions of the format drivers. If you really need it buy an external and use it. But don't sully your commentary with claims of superiority that aren't merited for the format. It's primary purpose is to get you to buy over again previously purchased content and to drive licensing and use fees for the format drivers. Period. Any gain you realize beyond that is merely incidental.

And let's get real here - "Mac folks" as you so quaintly put it are increasingly average consumers - especially in the iMac series of devices, not the rabid content creators you allege. Yes, a lot of content creation happens on Macs - for good reason, but you are failing to recognize the primary reason for the device being configured the way it is - to offer a better computing experience to the average user. The same arguments were made when Apple dropped the floppy drive. And when Apple went with SCSI. And so on.
post #218 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

I've seen a lot of posts here complaining about the "small" or "%10" CPU upgrade. I would beg to differ. The change from Core 2 Duo to the Core iX chips is much more than clock frequency (Ghz) indicates (Familiar story, G3/G4/G5 fans?). Go find some benchmarks, and you'll find the change from Core 2 Duo to i5 or i7 most remarkable, beyond just the change from 2 to 4 processor cores. The i3 is only slightly faster, in some cases, than a C2D, but is an upgrade never-the-less and should also draw less power.

These are very good chips.

I mentioned the pitiful 4.6% CPU improvement at the high end (2.8GHz Core i7 to 2.93GHz Core i7) because that machine is most interesting to me.

At the low end the boost is far more significant. The Core i3 system sports an improved motherboard architecture, hyper-threading and discrete GPU.

But seriously folks, the quad core CPU went mainstream in 2007. At the rate Apple is going it will be 2012 before the majority of the iMac lineup sports more than two cores.
post #219 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

Well, I don't want to buy a compressed crap, sold as HD movie, on iTunes store for 20 bucks, when I can get a true HD movie for 10 bucks.

But you don't have to wait for 15 minutes for ads to start rolling before you watch your movie!
post #220 of 266
Quote:

No USB 3, no eSATA, no Blu-Ray...

and no kotatsu;
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #221 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

which Blu-ray isn't. Categorically. Most of the content creators I know have storage solutions that are far more robust than Blu-Ray will ever be. Blu-Ray is a consumer grade kludge of a storage solution built to support the resale of existing and sales of future content to the unsuspecting consumer. The fact that the format supports deeper storage is a tangential benefit, not built directly into the marketing profile or intentions of the format drivers. If you really need it buy an external and use it. But don't sully your commentary with claims of superiority that aren't merited for the format. It's primary purpose is to get you to buy over again previously purchased content and to drive licensing and use fees for the format drivers. Period. Any gain you realize beyond that is merely incidental.

And let's get real here - "Mac folks" as you so quaintly put it are increasingly average consumers - especially in the iMac series of devices, not the rabid content creators you allege. Yes, a lot of content creation happens on Macs - for good reason, but you are failing to recognize the primary reason for the device being configured the way it is - to offer a better computing experience to the average user. The same arguments were made when Apple dropped the floppy drive. And when Apple went with SCSI. And so on.

great post

apple did a very good up date job that put new buyers with very powerful machines that are all in one marvels

when you watch a movie you marvel at how great the screen is !!!!

any way thanks for a good post

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #222 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwof View Post

I know this borders on being another thread, but..
It seems to me that the overwhelming discussion here about blu ray support
is about watching movies on computers.
This is not the issue really, Mac folks are in large part content creators.
The real need for BR is for back-up of large amounts of data ( on optical not motorized)
and the biggest issue is really this,

- a quote from previous poster-

"hi def video, what exactly are you supposed to do with your masterpiece? Break it up into little pieces and put it in DVD's? Share it with the Mobile Me web gallery?"

and this
"No other format delivers 45mbit 1080p video with lossless 7.1 audio."

Without ways to author a master Hi Def audiophile product on the Mac for the
1st time in Apple history Macs cannot author the content it creates!

what? have to buy windows to do this??..
take your project to someone with a PC..
unthinkable...

We need BRD to author and securely store large volumes of content.
Without this option Mac content creators are at a huge disadvantage..

Come on Steve... at least a BTO burner and a little support...

How tough can it be...

fuco blu ras

why can't you stop it . you sound insane reposting yourself topic after topic ,and yes 4 other assholes are hijacking the same topics as you . You made you stupid point .
move on
blu ray does not fit into a 22 in screen .

blu ray is not as good or as cheap as apple's HD

Better Cheaper open content encodings are coming from apple soon , And apple has 140 million itunes accounts . blu ray has how many.

And SCARY MOVIE 6 looks stupid on blu ray
so does mad men looks dumb on BD .

the horse is dead //

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #223 of 266
Quote:

why are you here
hackintosh forumis over there
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #224 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Apple are STILL skimping on the GPU... despite Steam and other gaming platforms becoming more popular on Mac.

The 4670 is more than a generation old, and was an $80 GPU at the end of 2008. My 4890 in my self-built PC is at least 4x as fast in real world gaming, and is also almost 2 years old.

The 5670 is a little better (at least it's current gen) but it's still from the bargain bucket. Even the Mac Pro only has a 5770, which would lose in almost any (DX10/DX9) benchmark against my 2 year old 4890.

I understand the iMac is not supposed to be a high-end gaming rig and that heat could be an issue with really high end GPUs, but there needs to be a middle ground. I'd love to throw all in with an iMac and lose my PC tower, but GPU performance is important to me and Apple have ignored it, yet again.

The 5750 is a good GPU, but Apple plonked it into a machine that sports a 2560 x 1440 display, so it's going to choke. A 5770 will stuggle at that resolution, let alone a 5750 which has 10% fewer texture units and slower memory clock (meaning lower fill rate).

you wintels are so poorly made that they need super power chips to run any thing

mac does it right

my
mbp can run any game made on a mac dvd that you can
ANY AT high res.

HAVING fast refurbed parts from dell mean nothing when the whole game is slow and fat .

email any time dude .

any time
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #225 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoogieBoard View Post

Blu-ray and USB 3.0 were a must for me to upgrade. They didn't appear, despite the rumors (recurring theme???) and that makes me annoyed. I am really surprised that they didn't even surface in the new Mac Pros, as an upgradable option. Hopefully this will come soon, as well to the Mac Minis, as I am holding off on getting one (want to use it as a media centre) until they have blu ray. I could just have an external blu ray drive, but where would be the fun in that???

Don't think that Blu-ray will happen any time soon so you're in for a long wait.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #226 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The 17" MBP still has the ExpressCard/34 slot.

Hope that they will return this to the upper end 15'MBP--seems that there is a need for for this for higher end users.
post #227 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

But you don't have to wait for 15 minutes for ads to start rolling before you watch your movie!

Please no complaints about advertisements. Advertisement is everywhere on iTunes.
post #228 of 266
It sucks not being able to connect a high speed external SSD on macs. They're all bottlenecked by USB2 or FireWire. I have a feeling Apple is waiting and plan to support Light Peak big.
post #229 of 266
Quote:

The problem for me is that the Blu-Ray standard permits its playback hardware to take control away from the user. I would find that unacceptable in a computer. I don't want to be forced to disconnect my computer from the network or go through all sorts of other conniptions just to watch a movie. Given Apple's attention to detail - not to mention its desire for complete end-to-end control regarding the user experience - perhaps they're simply not willing to cede that much control to a standard over which they have absolutely no control.

You have a number of issues, none of which are a blu-ray issue.

Studios want these features, they will want to include these with digital downloads as well, this includes forced adverts
post #230 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B

Does using an embiggened font somehow make your argument more compelling?

Or less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff

Does using cromulent words make your comment more snarky?

Well, it lets us wallow in our own crapulence.
post #231 of 266
2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Magic Mouse

this is what i will buy once i drop my current 4yr old on the floor by mistake

all those nay sayers are so full of shit

this imac has a great screen
screaming fast cpu/gpu unclocked chips
and its instant on with ssd power .

4g ram too little ???

ok ok'

wow apple hits another small home run

next yr we will have face time i am sure and a whone new config

if you can wait by a whitenMB until ..../ facetime open cl and the rest come out

peace

go apple

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #232 of 266
'Crapulence.'

I dunno. That word does for me with the recent desktop 'updates.'

Side grade and price hikes.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #233 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, it lets us wallow in our own crapulence.

Crapulence is a real word:

Quote:
crapulent |ˈkrapyələnt|
adjective poetic/literary
of or relating to the drinking of alcohol or drunkenness.
DERIVATIVES
crapulence noun
crapulous |-yələs| adjective
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from late Latin crapulentus very drunk, from Latin crapula inebriation, from Greek kraipalē drunken headache.
post #234 of 266
Quote:

Pardon me kotatsu from the UK, but "it's" means "it is", even here in the colonies. I take it the King's English is not your native language?

It's hard to imagine DRM implemented more completely than it has been with Blu-Ray.
Alert the media! Apple abandons Blu-Ray! And the computer market! Altogether!

What an absurd statement.

Fortunately you're not me.

As for me, I'm laughing. At you.

Now I'm really laughing.

Wow, thanks Mr.Pedant, you're just swell!

As for BD DRM, there are countless BD players available from many manufacturers. Plus BD DRM is child's play to break. A world of difference from Apple DRM which locks your purchases down to a handful of devices. Surely you can see that? No? Fanboy glasses filtering out anything Steve doesn't like?

Too bad.
post #235 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

So why does this matter to you - in particular? Do you in fact own a Mac of any class? Probably not. So why consistently come here to piss in the wheaties of the Apple users here? It doesn't make you look smarter, cleverer or more of a tech than anyone else. In fact there is a classic definition of insanity - repeating the same behavior over and over again, expecting a different result. The entire volume of your contributions do not offer any salient discussion, only continual criticism to an entirely unappreciative audience, with the odd exception of the average newbie who hasn't added you to the ignore list yet.

Your insistence that Blu-Ray is better is a personal opinion - that runs smack up against the wall of contrary user experience, not to mention the licensing and OP issues. And USB 3.0 is not a universal standard yet that has sufficiently mainstreamed to interest Apple enough to include it on this yearly update. There are not many devices out there that take advantage of it yet, so why bother - just to me-too the other PC makers that include it only to list it as a feature? Pretty silly reasoning.

E

Got it out of your system now?

As for owning a Mac, yes, I own a MacBook. So please, be quiet. Thanks,
post #236 of 266
Apple's iMac performance page @ http://www.apple.com/imac/performance.html states:

"Now all iMac models come standard with Intel Core processors built on a new architecture. Based on Intels 32-nanometer process technology, these processors set new benchmarks for iMac performance."

and the tech spaces page @ http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html says:

"2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost"

Which actual Intel CPU is inside that is 2.93 base speed and is on the 32 nm process?

http://www.intel.com/consumer/produc...rei7-specs.htm

If it's an i7-870 (hyperthread, Turbo to 3.6 GHz, 2 channels, 16GB, 1333 support, 95W TDP), then it's a 45nm chip, unless Intel has re-tooled the same chip as a 32nm part? Or Apple has some bad data on the site there?

Intel has really made knowing which CPU is which a real PITA in the last few years, and of course, since Apple sometimes gets 'new and unusual gear', it's even trickier. Any input is appreciated!
post #237 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu

As for BD DRM, there are countless BD players available from many manufacturers.

My point exactly. Get one!
Quote:
Wow, thanks Mr.Pedant, you're just swell!

Excellent! Your spelling has already improved.
A is A
A is A
post #238 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

When I upgraded my 2007 C2D Mini to SL, it ran slower on some things, even after clearing out tons of space on the HD. I could do a clean install, but I shouldn't have to - I don't much of anything with it.

And I don't know if you can reliably get more than 3-4 years out of a computer anymore. If I wanted to get the most out of SL, like OpenCL, H.264 acceleration, I would have to buy a new Mac. It's less than 3 years old. Same thing with my PC, which was about 4 years old. Either SW or the OS will force an upgrade, especially with advances in GPGPU applications and other uses of the GPU/multi-core CPU's.

My last 2 PCs have lasted me 5 years with minimal alteration. Current system running strong after 2 1/2 years and I may not need to make any changes to make it last for 5 years.
post #239 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you wintels are so poorly made that they need super power chips to run any thing

mac does it right

my
mbp can run any game made on a mac dvd that you can
ANY AT high res.

HAVING fast refurbed parts from dell mean nothing when the whole game is slow and fat .

email any time dude .

any time

BS. I have 3 Macs, 2 iPhones and an iPad in my house... oh, and one Windows machine with an AMD/ATI combo (Phenom II and 4890)... so don't start your point by trying to label me.

Also, email ME when L4D2, or Fallout New Vegas comes out for the Mac via Steam and tell me how well it runs on an external monitor with 4xAA/16xAF and 1680*1050 or higher...

Mac games on Mac DVDs are not exactly cutting edge, so doesn't really prove anything. I'd like to see Macs run Steam games as well as they run on PCs, which means two things...

1) Far better drivers (they're awful right now, on the same hardware, Mac versions fo the games are always slower than they run under Windows. This is entirely down to APIs and drivers)

2) A better choice of hardware... yes, still sell the 5670 version of an iMac, but allow for something a little more powerful so people like me can finally be free of Windows.

It's now an unfortunate truth that Macs are the ones that need supercomputer chips to run anything properly...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #240 of 266
The i3 3.2GHz no longer shows that it supports Turbo Boost, as that goes along with what Intel has on their site.

Also, I read a big article on Anandtech that where they said.. "Turbo isn't really important for two cores, it's only with quad-core that it really starts to matter "

Almost to the point, they said that the i3 was a better value than the i5...
"There isn't a single Core i5 I'd recommend, but the i3s are spot-on."

(He is talking about the dual-core i5 processors, not the quad-core.)

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/16

So, I wonder if the upgrade to the dual-core i5 is worth it or not.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors