or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores - Page 2

post #41 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I guess part of what we pay Apple to do is come up with new designs, but for their "workstation" computer, I guess I don't see the need. What glaring deficiency is there in the case design of the MacPro?

We can (and should) certainly debate about whether BluRay should be an option, whether they really are offering the best available graphics cards and so forth, but the case design seems darn-near perfect.

Built-in obsolescence is a feature of consumer-level devices and goods (think how dated the "old" iPods from three years ago look, or the white iMacs). I just don't see the need to change what is a very functional design for a professional level machine.

i agree with you 100%. However disappointed people may be that they haven't changed the form-factor of the case is sort of just looking at the Pro only on the surface. The simplicity of the design and how it functions is truly the brilliance of this design. everything is organized in such a way that even a monkey could swap out hard drives and memory modules. This was definitely thought of from the inside out and not the reverse.

I only wish they had a mid-grade option like the cube was. For me, the Mac Mini is probably (today's design) all I need in a home computer. But I wish they would have an option that's between the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini in a stand-alone CPU. I may not need an option like this at home, but the Mac Pro is over kill for what I do at work (architecture and graphic design). And pitching a monitor every 3-5 years (which is the average industry lifespan based on lease agreements) just because the CPU is outdated and needing replacement is just plain wasteful.

Bring back the Cube!
post #42 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Seems like a speed bump for entry level mac pro. Don't need SSD since I don't bounce my towers around. What do you get better for $2499. Read the promos. It sounds like they just came out with this form factor for the first time.

SSD's are so much faster, would be good for a start up drive so you mac and apps will start soo much faster. My MBP has a SSD and start up times beats most others.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #43 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

24 hardware threads!

I can see the SSD option spawning many threads in future with people asking the best combination of SSDs and HDs to buy


Agreed, would like to see Apple support TRIM commands in their next OS upgrade that is backward compatible to the MBA and MBP that had the SSD option for some time now.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #44 of 210
I recently bought a cr@ppy HP as a media centre and that had a Blu-Ray burner built in (so I could get my BR's on to a NAS). The the Mac Pro doesn't even have it as an option... it's 2010 and Apple still ignore HD optical drives. If Apple hate optical based media so much why do they even bother with the almost retro sounding SuperDrive (yes, 'Super' in 2004)? Becoming very long in the tooth especially if you work with HD video. As a general workhorse I think the refreshed iMac line up seems to offer better value...
post #45 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

It doesn't sound like he knows. I put a SSD drive into my 2006 Macbook and it really made it seem like a new computer! Boot time - 8 seconds. Programs launch immediately. SSD is a great option for a pro machine.

Yea, if you have a SSD, you have to love it for its speed. Hope that Apple will support SSD's in their next OS upgrade--you might see that I'm really pushing for this--ARE YOU READING THIS STEVE????
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #46 of 210
That's an awesome update! I wish I could afford one. The Mac Mini will due then.
post #47 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Yes indeed, although I wish there were an option for a smaller and less pricey SSD. As is common in group professional environments, we keep all working files on our server. Local storage is only for the system, applications and some scratch storage. My guys could easily manage with <100GB SSDs in their workstations, and aftermarket units in that sort of size go for $200-ish.

Of course there's nothing to stop us from adding a relatively inexpensive 80-100GB boot SSD and keeping the original HD for backup use. However Mac support for third party SSDs is incomplete at present (no TRIM...or have they added that now?) and people have reported being unable to install the OS directly to the SSD (clone from the HD instead).

The only current options are third party SSD's like

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter..._SSD_Sandforce

until Apple supports TRIM commands for SSD's. ARE YOU READING THIS STEVE?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #48 of 210
Is it necessary to get two 6-core processors initially or can I get one 6-core now and install a second if I need it?
I run a G5 PPC with a GeekBench of 1888 and looking for something at least 5 times more powerful. Would like to consider SSD in place of extra processors initially.
post #49 of 210
Been waiting and waiting for months .... putting off purchasing macs ..... recommending clients wait....

this is really disappointing .... a little bump on this or that spec for the MacPro .....

After 10 years of FireWire and longer for USB - Apple is still not ready to move to eSATA ( now old news ) or FireWire 3200 or USB3 or how about LightPeak .....

I don't need to use more power ( energy and oil ) and have the machine sit at 10% : all but idle waiting for data to transfer between this and that storage devices .......

I have TBs of data and still no way to move them fast enough to use the processing speed of a G5 or MacMini or iMac or even the MacPro....

Really disappointed and need a solution that is not over $1000 per device to use something like FiberChannel ( which is now old too ) which is not coming to a iMac, MacMini or other apple device anytime soon..... apparently.....
post #50 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

About 3 times faster for probably 10x as much.

Apple shows it up to 2X faster. I don't see a price on the page.

"SSD I/O Performance. Up to 2x faster than 7200-rpm hard disk drive"

http://www.apple.com/macpro/performance.html
post #51 of 210
And it shows in the lack of time, energy and design that went into this "Sort-of" up-grade.

You know if it was the iPhone or iPad there would be one hell of a lot of difference in this unit, and ones made 6, 7 8 years ago.

He won't say it in public, but Steve must be saying to himself this is old school technology, and well, we just aren't going to waste any more time, energy or money on it folks. It's time for folks to step up to today's technology and that means "Buy" an iPhone / iPad, and your life will be complete.

Hey, if they don't sell many, their have only themselves to blame. Of course he'll then say, we're going the way of (X), as the numbers show, that desktop units are no longer popular or the way to go.

They are to big, heavy, costly

I wonder how long before they / he changes the name to Apple Communications Inc.?


Skip
post #52 of 210
Yeah, ATI in the iMac, ATI in the Pro, thank you for bringing back ATI Apple!

Well, I guess it's always been an option but nice to see them in the front seat again.
post #53 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

The only current options are third party SSD's like

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter..._SSD_Sandforce

Their chart suggests the performance of competing drives go to almost zero over time. That seems very dishonest, the figures I recall were a 25% drop without TRIM, certainly nothing like a 90% drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Apple shows it up to 2X faster. I don't see a price on the page.

"SSD I/O Performance. Up to 2x faster than 7200-rpm hard disk drive"

http://www.apple.com/macpro/performance.html

I was guessing on the price difference. A good 500GB SSD starts at $1400 on Newegg, I would be surprised if Apple hits below $999.

You're right, I didn't read the numbers.
post #54 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyskiv View Post

I recently bought a cr@ppy HP as a media centre and that had a Blu-Ray burner built in (so I could get my BR's on to a NAS). The the Mac Pro doesn't even have it as an option... it's 2010 and Apple still ignore HD optical drives. If Apple hate optical based media so much why do they even bother with the almost retro sounding SuperDrive (yes, 'Super' in 2004)? Becoming very long in the tooth especially if you work with HD video. As a general workhorse I think the refreshed iMac line up seems to offer better value...

If your disappointed with the lack of Blu-ray, or eSATA, or USB 3.0, etc., please let apple actually know!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/
post #55 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

They are coming out in August.

BS on the price points and BS on the fact that it is still the same case as 6 years ago!

It's a great looking case that acts as a giant heat-sink. Changing it simply for the sake of changing it just means that you should consider having your kool-aid checked.
post #56 of 210
If you want USB 3 and eSATA, you can get that for $30

http://www.everythingusb.com/asus-u3...ess-18307.html

But it doesn't have Mac drivers, yet.

eSATA cards are available.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo-x_esata8.html

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e4p.html
post #57 of 210
will there be a decent graphics card upgrade path 3, 4, or 5 years down the line??

Unfortunately I was bit by upgrading to the 2006 Mac Pro, now left without any REAL graphics card upgrades.. The computer still runs great, but gaming sucks now..

""The new Mac Pro is the most powerful and configurable Mac we've ever made," said Philip Schiller"

Seems I heard the same thing when I bought mine.. pfft..
post #58 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherBrain View Post

will there be a decent graphics card upgrade path 3, 4, or 5 years down the line??

Unfortunately I was bit by upgrading to the 2006 Mac Pro, now left without any REAL graphics card upgrades.. The computer still runs great, but gaming sucks now..

""The new Mac Pro is the most powerful and configurable Mac we've ever made," said Philip Schiller"

Seems I heard the same thing when I bought mine.. pfft..

They did quit offering upgrades for it pretty quickly. Fortunately, some of the newer cards are compatible. I bought Apple's ATI Radeon HD 4870 for my 2006 Mac Pro and it works fine, even though their page said it's not supported. The key thing is that it's compatible, but they might not be able to help you if something doesn't work.
post #59 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I did that last fall. Blew away the base MP then and looks like it will easily blow away the new base model. And the six ram slots are nice too.

You built a hackintosh last fall. BS.
post #60 of 210
I still think AMD would have been better in the low end. The W3530 2.8GHz CPU costs $323 and scores 4,964 here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The 3.2GHz AMD X6 1090T scores 6,080 (22% faster) and costs $295.

Maybe the Intel one is more efficient though. Performance per watt is more important to Apple than raw performance and I wouldn't criticize that.

It's good to see a bump in the entry GPU for the same price, 3DMark scores are:

GT120 = 5431
R5770 = 7604

No double floating point precision support in the 5770 though.

Totally expected update, no innovation, no redesign, no real thought put into it whatsoever and still high pricing.
post #61 of 210
Really this MP and the imac updates are the bare minimum to qualify as updated lines. No technology advances whatsoever. Kind of disappointing when you think of it, especially when compared to the rest of the desktop market or even Apples own mobile lines which are putting forth innovative new features.. Simply no innovation this time around.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #62 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

He won't say it in public, but Steve must be saying to himself this is old school technology, and well, we just aren't going to waste any more time, energy or money on it folks. It's time for folks to step up to today's technology and that means "Buy" an iPhone / iPad, and your life will be complete.

Skip

It'll be interesting when there's no content to consume on the iDevices because there are no computers left to create it on
post #63 of 210
These look nice but are way overpriced compared to the new iMacs. Apple now sells a single CPU MP for more than the original MP with 2 CPUs. And the Corei5 iMac is $500 cheaper than the entry level MP and includes a 27" screen while offering comparable CPU performance and more RAM.

I've been wanting an Intel Mac tower for long time, but the prices are ridiculous. I'd love an iMac but unfortunately I require PCIe slots for special audio DSP cards I use. Sticking with my PC for my desktop needs unfortunately.
post #64 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes
The only current options are third party SSD's like

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter..._SSD_Sandforce


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Their chart suggests the performance of competing drives go to almost zero over time. That seems very dishonest, the figures I recall were a 25% drop without TRIM, certainly nothing like a 90% drop.

Started new thread re SSD's @

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...46#post1684446

if anyone is interested. SSD's are getting cheaper and larger in capacity and it appears that Apple is slowly making the move to SSD's.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #65 of 210
no nVidia cards no CUDA GPU processing...
Bad for imaging...
post #66 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

It'll be interesting when there's no content to consume on the iDevices because there are no computers left to create it on …

For consumer content creation, I don't think that's going to be a problem, I would expect something like the iPad would be able to do just as well as a desktop. For example, the viral video "Apple of my Eye" was shot and edited 100% on an iPhone. And that was done a lot more professionally than most consumer videos.

The professionals will still get their desktops and laptops.
post #67 of 210
delete
post #68 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's a great looking case that acts as a giant heat-sink. Changing it simply for the sake of changing it just means that you should consider having your kool-aid checked.

I agree. as you can see I like the aluminum case:

post #69 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I agree. as you can see I like the aluminum case:


Our OS X server is the most beautiful server in our rack, course that's not hard when the rest are IBMs and Dells.
post #70 of 210
While it's disappointing, I sure didn't expect to see USB 3, and no way expected a faster FW.

I had minimal hopes for an Express 3 buss.

Otherwise, it's a good upgrade. Won't replace my early 2009 Mac Pro with this though. Possibly when it's upgraded to those other standards (hopefully Lightpeak though) I will.

Right now I want to replace my 4870 with a faster ATI card, and that's about it. I can always add faster ports when they come out in a card, as I did with my e-SATA drives.
post #71 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Sooo.... the rules are that the Apple Haters post first? Is that it?

Haha! The rules are: antenna trolls post first!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #72 of 210
Wow... now that's a nice rack.
post #73 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While it's disappointing, I sure didn't expect to see USB 3, and no way expected a faster FW.

I had minimal hopes for an Express 3 buss.

Otherwise, it's a good upgrade. Won't replace my early 2009 Mac Pro with this though. Possibly when it's upgraded to those other standards (hopefully Lightpeak though) I will.

Right now I want to replace my 4870 with a faster ATI card, and that's about it. I can always add faster ports when they come out in a card, as I did with my e-SATA drives.

Yes, such at the NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 Controller Card. Driverless, hot plug, etc. Anyone tried this nifty card?
post #74 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodycelt View Post

Wow... now that's a nice rack.

To paraphrase Teri Garr in Young Frankenstein: Why thank you doctor!
post #75 of 210
from article description:

Quote:
one 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon W3680 processor for the quad-core Mac Pro;

my nitpick:

it seems that one 3.33GHZ 6-core is no longer a quad core, right?...

my question is:

why isn't the 3.33GHz 6-core available as dual CPU?

my problem:

$4999 for a 12-core?? yikes!
post #76 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

They are coming out in August.

BS on the price points and BS on the fact that it is still the same case as 6 years ago!

From a design point of view for looks, easy updating and access what would you change? Just curious.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #77 of 210
Some questions (my apologizes if they were already answered in the thread):

1) 6Gbps SATA?

2) Intel’s 1ku charge for these 12-core chips?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #78 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

These look nice but are way overpriced compared to the new iMacs. Apple now sells a single CPU MP for more than the original MP with 2 CPUs. And the Corei5 iMac is $500 cheaper than the entry level MP and includes a 27" screen while offering comparable CPU performance and more RAM.

I've been wanting an Intel Mac tower for long time, but the prices are ridiculous. I'd love an iMac but unfortunately I require PCIe slots for special audio DSP cards I use. Sticking with my PC for my desktop needs unfortunately.

Might I suggest: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Apple...=p3286.c0.m282
post #79 of 210
Nah, not too impressed about the updates....The prices seems to be hiked on all new macs, if i remember correct Apple used too previously always lower the prices, guess they're not yet satisfied with the profit margins I will wait till the next update, if that one has some of the new tech that is bound (Lightpeak/USB 3.0, BD etc.) i'll get it, if it's not worth it, i'll just go for the TOTL 27" iMac
Want to save America?

Vote Ron Paul for President in 2012
Reply
Want to save America?

Vote Ron Paul for President in 2012
Reply
post #80 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

mac pros are killer. I had the original quad when it came out, and despite all the yelling that it was overpriced and someone could get 'X' for a thousand less, it was the best computer I've even bought and lasted for years, until I needed to go portable. (of course i7 portables made that easier...)

What exactly do people want apple to do with this amazing case?

In addition to the Mac Pro line, cut the Mac Pro case down and offer a Mac Pro Junior, 1 4-core processor, 4 memory slots, room for 2 HDs, 1 optical drive, and a slot for a video card. But don't hold your breath for this to ever happen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores