or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop

Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop - Page 3

post #81 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Now if they could just attach the 2 it would be perfect.

A hybrid would be awesome!
post #82 of 144
I see the Apple Mouse is also available, as well as the Magic Mouse and the trackpad...just wondering, does that mean the Magic Mouse is a bit overhyped? I would be curious to hear from people who have the Magic Mouse to see if they like it.
post #83 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Personally speaking, the apple keyboard is the best built, nicest typing experience I've ever had. The magic mouse is superb and the trackpad exactly what I've been waiting for - ordered and can't wait to experience it. If I don't like it, or it develops a fault, I'll return it. Apple make superb input devices. Only fail I've ever come across being the 'hockey-puck' mouse, which was terrible.

The Apple hockey-puck mouse yo-yo is pretty nice, though.

But, I have to agree on the keyboard. I've used a lot of keyboards over the years -- desktop, laptop, 3rd party, ... -- and the Apple keyboard has, far and away, the best feel to it of any keyboard I have ever used.

I'm very happy with the Magic Mouse, too, but I'll be getting a Magic Trackpad the next time at an Apple store. If it's really nice, maybe I'll change my name here to anonytrackpad.
post #84 of 144
Finally there is parity of input across the Mac line of computers! I've been waiting for trackpad access on the iMac for years now. I thought the Magic Mouse would be that solution, but that hasn't panned out. Now I'll have a trackpad for my iMac with all the same functionality as a Mac Notebook.

Getting this on my lunch break today.
post #85 of 144
Well, between the iPad satisfying most of my mobile needs and the Magic Trackpad fixing my inability to comfortably use a standard mouse after a decade of notebook use I may just get a Mac desktop for my next machine. I never thought I’d be saying that.

* Once they fix the Safari caching bug.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #86 of 144
I asked apple for something like this, but attached to the keyboard with number pad. I think it will sell in respectable numbers. Not in iphone numbers. But when the masses see this pad they'll think it's a drawing/writing pad. It will be a lot of dissappointment and I don't blame them for feeling so. Apple will need to educate people about its pros and cons.

I bought the MBP because 10.6 and the trackpad support chinese input with your finger input. Now imac and pro users can enjoy the same.

A third party company produces a stylus called the Pogo with software that works with the trackpad. It's mostly a drawing app. And the pogo has a soft rounded tip that's not precise enough for real work but still fun.

As an aside, the magic mouse is nice and works for the most part. I like the non-moving parts. No gummed up grime. But it is the most uncomfortable mouse ever since the puck mouse! It's too small and I have small hands. It feels like a sliver of soap that's going to be washed away. Make it bigger.
post #87 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It would be good if Apple offered like a 4 finger triple tap that just displayed a little gesture chart, in case you needed it.

There were videos in the System Prefs at the time the multitouch trackpads showed up on the MBPs, right?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #88 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm very happy with the Magic Mouse, too, but I'll be getting a Magic Trackpad the next time at an Apple store. If it's really nice, maybe I'll change my name here to anonytrackpad.

^^^^

post #89 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I assume my Apple Store will have these today and I will be getting one. More to follow.

My local Apple Store didn't have them when I checked at lunchtime
post #90 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

How is a smooth trackpad with no touch feedback or visual information going to work as a remote? Have you ever bothered to observe how remotes are used? By touch and sight. I don't see how this could possibly be a good remote. Even Apple's own remote app requires some visual input, even if it has no touch feedback. What if the monitor isn't on and you want to change music? Or you're in another room and need to change libraries or turn off something you don't want the kids to watch? How are you going to use a trackpad then? Obviously these are comments by people who have never used a central home entertainment system. Stupid idea to use a trackpad.

I would prefer the remote be an ipad or ipod or iphone device any day. Think about it, for the same price as a harmony remote you could have a killer remote out of an Ipod touch + remote app.
Bottom line, A trackpad remote is USELESS!

Um, i'd rather spend $70 on a limited remote than spend $200 on the holy grail of remotes.

In regards to visual input, I agree with you. As anything Apple releases, the second/third version will offer much more functionality. As the price of e-ink touch screens go down, I can see that incorporated into the Magic Trackpad. Until that point, they need to keep the price relatively affordable so that people actually purchase this and it's not another "hobby" product.

Magic TrackPad v2.0 will be the one and only remote you'll ever need all for just $70.
post #91 of 144
Another thumbs down vote for the charger.
  1. AA batteries only. Should charge AAAs too.
  2. It should charge 4 batteries at a time.
  3. Lacks USB connection for charging off of USB port.
  4. Lack of battery capacity indicators similar to the MacBook.
post #92 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Another thumbs down vote for the charger.
  1. AA batteries only. Should charge AAAs too.
  2. It should charge 4 batteries at a time.
  3. Lacks USB connection for charging off of USB port.
  4. Lack of battery capacity indicators similar to the MacBook.

1. Does Apple have any peripherals that take AAA batteries? Remember, this is a "greening" of their battery-operated peripherals. (PR reasons.)
  2. Yeah, it probably should take four, but they are going for low power consumption and small size. You won't exactly be charging the trackpad/mouse/keyboard batteries every week. (PR reasons.)
  3. You don't actually want USB-based AA battery charging. These are desktop peripherals. (Engineering reasons.)
  4. If you'll notice, the battery capacity indicators are in the *batteries*. What other AA batteries have this? (Cost + engineering reasons.)

post #93 of 144
Im guessing these rechargeable batteries are like the eneloop batteries I've been using for over a year now.
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
post #94 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Im guessing these rechargeable batteries are like the eneloop batteries I've been using for over a year now.

I'll be interesting to see some test results as these get rolled out and the tech websites get a hold of them.

What's different AFAICT is the charger's power usage once the batteries are charged (i.e. "vampire power").

post #95 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

You need textile feel when you are working with multiple buttons.

We know what you meant but the correct usage I believe is: Tactile Feedback

Maybe the track pad has a silky smooth feel as well.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #96 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What is the capacity of the batteries and what is the charge time? Can you use 3rd party batteries?

Why....?
post #97 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Goodbye Magic Mouse. Getting ready to go to the store right now.

lol don't expect to find any.
post #98 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What is the capacity of the batteries and what is the charge time? Can you use 3rd party batteries?

Why....?

If it's a good charger with adequate charge rates and low "vampire power" consumption once the charge is complete, why not?

post #99 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I assume my Apple Store will have these today and I will be getting one. More to follow.

Why would you assume that? That's almost never the case.

The magic mouse wasn't in stores for more than week.
post #100 of 144
The magic trackpad looks cool I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it's slight incline actually makes it more comfortable then even a laptop trackpad. I am surprised about the battery charger though. Can any rechargeable batteries out there get the life of lithium batteries yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #101 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoogieBoard View Post

I feel that steve jobs is just trying to extend his control over us. I know apple is pushing for the green image, but apple branded battery chargers? what's next, apple kitchens???

You don't have to buy them, ya know!

There are lots of other options for AA batteries (alkaline, rechargeable, etc.), it's not like new trackpad only works with Apple AA batteries!

post #102 of 144
Well reading about the charger makes no real sense:

You get 6 rechargeable batteries as Apple said 4 for the keyboard 2 for the mouse/trackpad. So if you have both devices, you need an extra charger with extra batteries to always have charged ones in spare when the power of the ones used is low. You even need a second charger and the additional batteries to have spare ones for the keyboard. So the single pack only makes sense for the mouse/trackpad and 4 batteries would have been enough. Do I miss the math somewhere?
post #103 of 144
For photo editing, and a lot of other stuff, I'd rather use a mouse.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #104 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsholgersson View Post

You get 6 rechargeable batteries as Apple said 4 for the keyboard 2 for the mouse/trackpad. So if you have both devices, you need an extra charger with extra batteries to always have charged ones in spare when the power of the ones used is low. You even need a second charger and the additional batteries to have spare ones for the keyboard. So the single pack only makes sense for the mouse/trackpad and 4 batteries would have been enough. Do I miss the math somewhere?

Do you have the bluetooth keyboard or the magic mouse? If so, how often do you have to replace the batteries? Once every couple of months?

2 batteries in the bluetooth keyboard
2 batteries in the new trackpad
2 charged spares for when the charge in the batteries for the keyboard or trackpad finally die

I come up with six.

post #105 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

For photo editing, and a lot of other stuff, I'd rather use a mouse.

Try the Wacom Intuos4 for Photoshop/Lightroom work. Way better than a mouse.

post #106 of 144
Quote:

You are right about needing more than 6 batteries. I only use one in my mouse for weight considerations. But still that makes 7. I have the older BT keyboard that takes 4 batteries. How many does the new version take? You will not need another charger though. Not all of your batteries are going to need to be swapped out at the same time, and they only take a couple hours to charge up.

post #107 of 144
Quote:

Welcome to the forum, but that isn’t correct. You only need extra batteries your Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and trackpad batteries take two AA batteries each, unless you have an older keyboard.

Additionally, you still wouldn’t need an extra charger, just extra batteries which you can buy from pretty much anywhere, but that is IF you choose not to notice the warnings Mac OS X that your Bluetooth peripherals are low on power AND opt to not charge them up while you are away from your desktop computer.

They don’t take long to charge so even a hardcore gamer does sleep occasionally and even if he takes a shower just once a week could charge them up while he’s doing his periodic cleaning or bowel movement.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155271
post #108 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are right about needing more than 6 batteries. I only use one in my mouse for weight considerations. But still that makes 7.

That would be the Might Mouse or a non-Apple branded mouse, because it looks like their BT keyboard, mouse and trackpad all using 2 batteries these days?
post #109 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

That's it? Fingerworks' iGesture pad from almost ten years ago did a heck of a lot more than that. Okay, the iGesture cost quite a bit more, but it was worth it. That had a whole ranges of gestures, each using one to five fingers, not just limited to three. I remember being able to control the mouse cursor, text cursor, click, double click, right click, center click, cut, copy, paste, zoom, open file/app, close window, quit application, scroll up/down/left/right, find, command-tab through applications, press "enter," and a bunch more functions that I can't recall now.

Unless they upgrade this, I'm not buying, especially at $70. How disappointing. In terms of "magic," this is like some kid's party prestidigitator compared to iGesture as Merlin. Damn you, Apple, how could you buy such a powerful portfolio of technology and water it down so much?

Most folks are happy with the elegance of an existing MB/MBP touchpad and Magic Mouse.
For those who want more, BetterTouchTool. 'Nuff said.
post #110 of 144
I run a couple of compters with a DVI switch and a USB switch. I still use a wired keyboard and mouse because that enables me to run various computers from one keyboard/mouse set.

But I wonder: I have a USB-bluetooth adaptor lying somewhere. Suppose I connect that to the USB-switch and pair a keyboard and mouse with it on one computer, would that keep working when the switchbox gets switched to another computer? Or is bluetooth out when you want to have just one keyboard/mouse(/trackpad) for multiple computers?
post #111 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would be the Might Mouse or a non-Apple branded mouse, because it looks like their BT keyboard, mouse and trackpad all using 2 batteries these days?

mighty mouse - does the new one require two batteries?

I use lithium not rechargeable. I was in the home center store a while back and they had several boxes of the Energizer Lithiums on the discount table. 99 cents a pack. I now have a life time supply, provided they don't expire. They have no expiration date so they should be good for a long time.

post #112 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

I run a couple of compters with a DVI switch and a USB switch. I still use a wired keyboard and mouse because that enables me to run various computers from one keyboard/mouse set.

But I wonder: I have a USB-bluetooth adaptor lying somewhere. Suppose I connect that to the USB-switch and pair a keyboard and mouse with it on one computer, would that keep working when the switchbox gets switched to another computer? Or is bluetooth out when you want to have just one keyboard/mouse(/trackpad) for multiple computers?

I think the mouse has to pair with each computer separately, so no I don't think that will work.

post #113 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, I have to agree on the keyboard. I've used a lot of keyboards over the years -- desktop, laptop, 3rd party, ... -- and the Apple keyboard has, far and away, the best feel to it of any keyboard I have ever used.

Come on, nothing beats the old VT-100 keyboard....

Seriously: I had a hocky puck spare lying around and it became pretty sticky. The plastic was self destructing.
post #114 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the mouse has to pair with each computer separately, so no I don't think that will work.

Does it pair with the computer or with the computer's bluetooth ID? In case o fthe latter, it should be possible to get it paired with the USB-bluetooth adapter. But I admit I do not really understand bluetooth.
post #115 of 144
Quote:

Does it pair with the computer or with the computer's bluetooth ID? In case o fthe latter, it should be possible to get it paired with the USB-bluetooth adapter. But I admit I do not really understand bluetooth.

Maybe you should investigate ethernet IP based KVM technology.

post #116 of 144
Quote:

Come on, nothing beats the old VT-100 keyboard....

Quote:
Seriously: I had a hocky puck spare lying around and it became pretty sticky. The plastic was self destructing.

I actually have one hooked up to the iMac it came with and it still works as well as it ever did, plastic seems fine too. The yo-yo, which looks just like the mouse, is still MIP, so I actually don't know how well it works.
post #117 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

1. If you'll notice, the battery capacity indicators are in the *batteries*. What other AA batteries have this? (Cost + engineering reasons.)

Duracel and Duracel ultra
post #118 of 144
Quote:

When Bluetooth device, eg a keyboard is paired with a computer when you type the letters only appear on the paired computer. If you want to use the keyboard with another computer un-pair it from computer A and pair it to computer B
post #119 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Duracel and Duracel ultra

But Duracell and Duracell Ultra are alkaline batteries, not rechargeable.

post #120 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Agreed. I was so excited when i saw this leaked a few months ago, and i really want to buy one, but i'm still a lowly PC user and the website specifically states you must be running a Mac with OSX.

So does this mean the new trackpad has support in Windows as well as OSX? Or just under bootcamp?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop