or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight - Page 2

post #41 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you are basically just making this up. Please point to the study or article or your personal tests that even indicate this is true, let alone prove it.

If, as you say, the iPad overheats when the ambient temperature is 95 degrees fahrenheit then these people actually have a good case and Apple is on the hook for millions in damages.

I don't believe this is true. I think you are just assuming stuff here that isn't actually in evidence.

All he was saying is that there can be a significant difference between ambient temperature and the temperature of an object placed in direct sunlight.
post #42 of 118
Here is the poop:

http://www.ipadoverheating.com/

Join in everybody!

Plus Video to show how it fails. It shuts down at 95 degrees!
Just like spec says it will.
post #43 of 118
Oh man - the environmentalists are not going to be happy about this one - the A4 in the processor name is actually for Atomic Mass of 4 - in other words Helium - that undergoes nuclear fusion to power the device - and if it gets too hot - it would have a core melt-down and no body wants that.
post #44 of 118
forget global warming, peak oil, nuclear holocaust, or asteroids from space. what's going to kill us as a civilization is all the gawds damned lawyers.
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #45 of 118
Lawsuits should require the first page to have a photo of the dufus lawyer with Bio and contact info...and the same of the dufus complainant.


Best
post #46 of 118
My iPad overheats when I leave it the oven.
post #47 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Not only can the iPad not be treated "just like a book" in regards to reading outdoors in direct sunlight - but it fails to operate after being used to balance the short leg on a coffee table, a problem not suffered by a book. In further testing I have determined that while a book can be dropped form a 10 story building with little or no effect, the same is not true of the iPad - clearly Apple is perpetrating the single most blatant of all marketing inaccuracies ever in the history of advertising and should be made to pay accordingly.

Other problems - pages cannot be torn out and used to start a fire - drawing on it with pen, pencil, marker, etc is nothing whatsoever like writing on a book.

Obviously - the marketing "treat it like a book" has to do with the logical interface and or content of a book - not the physical manifestation of the material from which a book it made. Well, okay it must not be obvious.

Maybe I should sue God - I have problems operating correctly and a shortened lifespan when I am left out in the sun for too long - sounds like a serious design flaw to me.

Now I am thinking there is a good reason why Apple's (and in fact a lot of commercial advertising) has little or nothing whatsoever to do with the product - because anytime you say anything that is not designed to be utterly meaningless some moron is going to sue you because the G4 is not really a SuperComputer.

Thanks for the good laugh. I enjoyed your post.
post #48 of 118
If you leave a device in direct sunlight for a few hours (especially with the heat wave here in Chicago and East Coast) it is more of a safety feature then a defect having a $500 device shut off rather then damage internal components. Have never heard anyone experience these problems.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #49 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Plus Video to show how it fails. It shuts down at 95 degrees!
Just like spec says it will.

The spec does not say it will shut down at 95 degrees.
post #50 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If, as you say, the iPad overheats when the ambient temperature is 95 degrees fahrenheit

Reread what he wrote.
"The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F"
post #51 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

All he was saying is that there can be a significant difference between ambient temperature and the temperature of an object placed in direct sunlight.

It seemed like he was saying that the iPad could overheat and show the warning or shut down even when the ambient temperature of the environment was within the specified operating range (which would of course be grounds for a lawsuit). Apologies if that's not what was meant.
post #52 of 118
Scott Cole & Associates, APC should sue the manufacturer of the thermographic camera they are using.
It is designed to be used outdoors and they have to hold their hand over the top of the display to block the sunlight so they can see the image.

Extermly obvious that the camera manufacturer failed to use due diligence in research and testing prior to marketing a device to unwary consumers.

Also, the towel on the ground probably got a little grass stain, so sue them.
Also, sue the washing machine manufacturer and detergent company when those stains do not get completely removed.
Or if it does get removed, sue them for shortening the life of the towel.

and on and on...



Something is wrong here.
The lawsuit was filed in California, not Texas? Is Texas only for copyright cases and California is more for the consumer?
post #53 of 118
Is this a lawsuit against things that get hot in the sun? LOL who is the lawyer involved in this?
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Me thinks these folks have been sitting out in the sun too long.



Thanks for that!

"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #55 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

All he was saying is that there can be a significant difference between ambient temperature and the temperature of an object placed in direct sunlight.

Well maybe they have a case then.

The spec says the operating temperature is up to 95 degrees. The only rational way to read that for the average consumer is that the device will still operate if the device is in a 95 degree environment. The spec makes no mention of direct or indirect sunlight.

I thought the person was saying that the ambient temperature can be less than 95 degrees and the device may still overheat in some conditions (i.e. direct sunlight). If that is true, then I read that as not being within the spec and the silly class action people might have a point (and a reasonably good case). If it says on the box that the operating temperature is up to 95 degrees, I don't see how Apple can get away with a product that shuts down in a 95 degree environment.

I'm assuming that this is wrong (because the lawsuit doesn't talk about actual temperatures but merely "normal" weather conditions). I'm assuming that as long as the ambient temperature doesn't hit 96 degrees that the iPad will still work without the warning or the shutdown because that seems reasonable and to fit within the spec.

The lawsuit seems like frivolous nonsense to me, but if in fact they mean the iPad is shutting down in direct sunlight when the ambient temperature is still 95 degrees fahrenheit, then I think they might have a case.
post #56 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

Well, as much as I think this suit is ridiculous, I do have to be fair to them here:

The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F and it be too hot for the iPad (or in my case, iPhone) to operate, because if it's in direct sunlight it's usually heating up far beyond the ambient. This is NOT covered by the Apple statement.

But I mean, c'mon. This is common sense.

See post #9. The rise in device temperature could result from exposure to heat, direct sunlight, and/or heavy usage. If the ambient temperature gets closer to that limit then other elements (sunlight and usage) can be more effective in rising the temperature of the device to the threshold.
post #57 of 118
There is a simple solution here for Apple, in the spirit of the free bumper episode. All they have to do is give a free sombrero to all iPad buyers.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #58 of 118
I had same overheating problem when left in the oven
post #59 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Here is the poop:

http://www.ipadoverheating.com/

Join in everybody!

Plus Video to show how it fails. It shuts down at 95 degrees!
Just like spec says it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Lawsuits should require the first page to have a photo of the dufus lawyer with Bio and contact info...and the same of the dufus complainant.


Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Is this a lawsuit against things that get hot in the sun? LOL who is the lawyer involved in this?

The Lawyers details are in the link posted by 801 and their contact email address is info@scalaw.com

I wonder if their reach extends to the UK if I send an email saying "Your iPad lawsuit is ridiculous and you and your clients in this pathetic attempt at extortion are a bunch of thieving parasites."
post #60 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well maybe they have a case then.

The spec says the operating temperature is up to 95 degrees. The only rational way to read that for the average consumer is that the device will still operate if the device is in a 95 degree environment. The spec makes no mention of direct or indirect sunlight.

When testing, they soak a device (not dunk it. They let it sit till the the temp is steady) to get to the higher/lower operating temps and make sure it operates as it should.
So it's the temperature of the device, not the ambient air.
Quote:
but if in fact they mean the iPad is shutting down in direct sunlight when the ambient temperature is still 95 degrees fahrenheit, then I think they might have a case.

If you watch the video of the test -> http://www.ipadoverheating.com/, the ambient air temp is only 63 degrees and ithe iPad shuts down after 12 minutes when the iPad temp gets to 95 degrees.
post #61 of 118
And BTW we should also have a lawsuit for all those people who left their iPad by mistake in the microwave. Nowhere in the usermanual is anything mentioned to not microwave the iPad!!!
post #62 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoogieBoard View Post

Wow. I have owned an iPad since day 1, and I have never experienced issues with overheating. Stuck pixels and wifi issues, I have had. I just think some of these people are trying to make a quick buck

My iPad definitely overheats in direct sunlight. But this is reasonable... it has a very large black surface covering a very thin body that is stuffed with electronics. It gets mighty hot even when turned off. This is simple Physics. I'm glad my iPad shuts itself down before all of the built-up heat fries some components. Could you imagine the lawsuits then!?!?

People shouldn't be surprised, upset, or suing over this. The solution is to not use the iPad in direct sunlight, an activity which is less than satisfying anyway, because it is hard to see the screen under those conditions. Should we sue for that too?

This is a stupid lawsuit.

Thompson
post #63 of 118
You know we have a bunch of village idiots if this BS see the light of day

Hell why not sue the beach when the Sand gets hot. !!!!!!! Geeeeezzzzzzz gimmmmmy a break
post #64 of 118
Scumbags like this make my trigger finger overheat. Metaphorically speaking - of course.
post #65 of 118
Where's the lawsuit that the iPad melts in direct fire?
post #66 of 118
An unfortunate layout of my room means that my iMac is back on to my window, and direct sunlight causes the fans to go into overdrive during heavier applications (such as World of Warcraft - note the fans stay inaudible at night). This is likely a result of heat dissipation going both ways - both iMac and iPad hardware are designed to allow heat to exit quickly, but as a result heat would enter quickly.
post #67 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

In related news, lighter close to gasoline causes explosion.

Only if you choose to light the lighter
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #68 of 118
Haha, a lot of these comments are hysterical.

The plaintiffs need to be publicly ridiculed. What a waste of time, energy, and money to bring forth such a frivolous lawsuit.

I hope there's a counter suit. That'll teach 'em.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #69 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster View Post

F*** these lawyers.

Yeah, what a lot of stupid scavengers who obviously have no capacity to contribute anything positive to society. I hope the judge bursts out laughing when the case is put and awards them a life time of using an original IBM PC running Windows 1.0. They deserve to suffer big time.
post #70 of 118
The people, responsible for the law that allows moronic law firms to use ME as a phantom plaintiff in their class action lawsuits, need to face a firing squad.

Short of killing them all, the best way to deal with lawyers is with software that replaces them.
If cars can be built by robots (an infinitely more difficult and complex job in computational and mechanical labor), then lawyers are nothing special. In fact, I think the U.S. legal achieve could fit on an iPad, just wrap in a cheap suit and bam!
post #71 of 118
While I think this lawsuit is absurd. I do wonder about this...

If a company specifies an operating range (temp/alt/wet) but then sells the item into locations that are outside those specs.

Not just that anywhere Could get hotter etc. I mean if a location from historic evidence is more than half to two thirds the time outside the specs.

If a company sells an item in a locale outside operating spec and refuses warranty etc. Then I feel you should have a legal leg to stand on.

Wherei live 35c is the min temp for at least half the year n
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #72 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Yeah, what a lot of stupid scavengers who obviously have no capacity to contribute anything positive to society. I hope the judge bursts out laughing when the case is put and awards them a life time of using an original IBM PC running Windows 1.0. They deserve to suffer big time.

In the USA there are rules about cruel and unusual punishment...
post #73 of 118
"...claims Apple's iPad overheats easily in direct sunlight"

I also overheat easily in direct sunlight! So what?!!!...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #74 of 118
Chocolate manufacturers get sued when their products melt in the heat.

You know, there's something very wrong with a system that allows these stupid lawsuits to even get filed. If you buy and iPad thinking when you use it as an ebook, it's just like reading a real book, you're an idiot. FYI, the iPad is an electronic device with no physical paper pages.

What an opportunistic, greedy dumbass.
post #75 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Lawsuits should require the first page to have a photo of the dufus lawyer with Bio and contact info...and the same of the dufus complainant.


Best

hmm is it really necessary? they all look similar
post #76 of 118
I'm surprised it's this low.

Sorry residents of Leadville, CO. (10,152 feet)
post #77 of 118
The inside of my car gets extremely hot in direct sunlight, so much so I could die if I was in there for any extent of time.
post #78 of 118
Why do you think the Japanese are reluctant to release high end technology to the states? Americans are notoriously hard on their electronics and it would generate ALOT of support calls and headaches for the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

SO if left in direct sunlight for a period of time and this thing gets too hot, it shuts down.

That's definitely a reason to sue!

What happened to end user responsibility for the reasonable care, maintenance and upkeep of purchases?

The world has officially gone crazy. Hope this one is thrown out in a hurry.
post #79 of 118
I've tried to use my iPad outside to read a number of times and have been frustrated that it shuts down.. this is in weather conditions where it is less than 95 degrees outside - but as another points out - because of the black surface - even if it's less than 95 degrees it seems to attract more heat and it shuts off - I have found it to be useless for outdoor reading when not in the shade. I tried to return it to Apple - but they weren't willing to take it back. My kindle works fine in direct sunlight...
post #80 of 118
My stove gets scalding hot when turned on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight