or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Free Speech Thread

The Free Speech Thread - Page 6

post #201 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I watched the first one of these last night, looking forward to the other two.

Good. Hope you enjoy them. I found them very interesting.

Quote:

You often say you're for freedom etc but it's often in the interests of business to thwart these small scale businesses by any means possible.

Yes I am and I'm opposed to businesses that use dishonest, illegal or immoral means to thwart anyone. Typically that is accomplished in partnership with the state though. Big businesses use the regulatory apparatus of the government to snuff out smaller competitors. It's called regulatory capture and it is happening all the time. If you watch the videos, I believe he mentions some examples of this.

Quote:

The US wrote into the constitution for Iraq that Iraq must allow Monsanto et al to sell their "debt crops", ie genetically modified seeds that aren't allowed to be stored, which is how farmers have operated since time immemorial, but instead the farmer has to buy new seeds every year if they want to grow the same crop again, which they typically have to, to pay back the money they owe already. The seeds contaminate traditional seeds too deteriorating the crops of local farmers. Fuck and then we eat that shit (sorry it really pisses me off).

Thank you for pointing out yet another example of how governments and the US government in particular try to restrict freedom. This is what governments do. There are two lines from the move "Pirate Radio" that I think summarize this quite eloquently:

"Governments loathe people being free." -- Quentin

"You see, that's the whole point of being the government. If you don't like something you simply make up a new law that makes it illegal." -- Minister Dormandy

I would say truer words have never been spoken.

Quote:

The more people like the guy in your video the better.

I agree for many reasons.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #202 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Good. Hope you enjoy them. I found them very interesting.

Yes I am and I'm opposed to businesses that use dishonest, illegal or immoral means to thwart anyone. Typically that is accomplished in partnership with the state though. Big businesses use the regulatory apparatus of the government to snuff out smaller competitors. It's called regulatory capture and it is happening all the time. If you watch the videos, I believe he mentions some examples of this.

Thank you for pointing out yet another example of how governments and the US government in particular try to restrict freedom. This is what governments do. There are two lines from the move "Pirate Radio" that I think summarize this quite eloquently:

"Governments loathe people being free." -- Quentin

"You see, that's the whole point of being the government. If you don't like something you simply make up a new law that makes it illegal." -- Minister Dormandy

I would say truer words have never been spoken.

I agree for many reasons.

The politicians get bought off by the lobbyists and the lobbyists work for businesses in most cases. That said I'm sure there are plenty of politicians seeking lobbyists approval. If there's one country on earth that best known for business buying the government, it's the US. Goes without saying, usually.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #203 of 361
Quote:

"Although non-defense discretionary spending in nominal dollars has increased, when taking inflation and population growth into account the amount contained in the [2011 budget] represents no increase over what we spent in 2001, a year in which we generated a surplus of $128 billion," said chairman Daniel Inouye (D-HI) in a prepared statement. "So the right question to ask is: Are we really spending too much on non-defense programs? The answer is clearly no."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WATCH THIS- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzMq...layer_embedded

It bears repeating that tax cuts for the richest 1% are costing us jobs and that's not Obama's fault it's the repubs fault- WATCH THIS- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzMq...layer_embedded
post #204 of 361
Quote:

The politicians get bought off by the lobbyists and the lobbyists work for businesses in most cases. That said I'm sure there are plenty of politicians seeking lobbyists approval. If there's one country on earth that best known for business buying the government, it's the US. Goes without saying, usually.

Yes, I know and understand this...though I'm not sure I'd agree that the US is particularly worse than any other government.

Now here's the crucial question: If the government keeps getting bought and used as a tool for private special interests (business and otherwise)...why keep giving it (the government) more power and money?

post #205 of 361
Quote:

It bears repeating that tax cuts for the richest 1% are costing us jobs

Except that repeating it doesn't make it any more true. Sorry.

post #206 of 361
Quote:

Yes, I know and understand this...though I'm not sure I'd agree that the US is particularly worse than any other government.

Now here's the crucial question: If the government keeps getting bought and used as a tool for private special interests (business and otherwise)...why keep giving it (the government) more power and money?

Ever wonder why the US has no real healthcare, even when the government spends far more per citizen than they do in the UK and other places, even whilst Americans spend all they've got on insurance?

Ever wonder why the US won't set targets on CO2 emissions?

To answer your question the people of the US have to demand more and expect more. Most repubs though seem to relish that business can buy government from healthcare to CO2. I'm not saying the dems aren't guilty too but it's the right in America that sells America.

We're going to disagree here but whilst government is undeniably heavily swayed by powerful interests, take the government out of the equation and the powerful interests will have even more power.

The solution is to give the people more power and keep a check on both government and business. Pretty much the only people in this world who are worth dealing with want to empower the common man, everyone else is up to no good.
post #207 of 361
[QUOTE=MJ1970;1895329]Except that repeating it doesn't make it any more true. Sorry.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't expect you to disagree with Reich here.

The middle class make up a large percentage of the spending power of the US and the spending is the engine for 70% of the US's GDP.

The middle classes income is stagnating (indeed for many their income has gone down), whilst the wealthiest 6% and especially the top 1% and above have seen substantial and often huge increases in their wealth.

The money at the top for the most part isn't spent, it's invested, and despite what you choose to believe, that doesn't create the number of jobs that are created when the middle class have money, because the middle class spend that money at a much higher rate than those wealthy people. That pumps money into the economy through them buying cars, clothes, Macs etc etc.
post #208 of 361
Quote:

and the spending is the engine for 70% of the US's GDP.

Actually it really isn't. This is a a myth promulgated by an economically ignorant media.

Quote:

The money at the top for the most part isn't spent, it's invested

Exactly. Which is what creates jobs.

Quote:

, and despite what you choose to believe, that doesn't create the number of jobs that are created when the middle class have money, because the middle class spend that money at a much higher rate than those wealthy people. That pumps money into the economy through them buying cars, clothes, Macs etc etc.

This is a classical error. The investment and production must happen first. Consumption comes after production...always.

post #209 of 361
Quote:

Ever wonder why the US has no real healthcare

I don't because it's not true.

Quote:

even whilst Americans spend all they've got on insurance?

Nor is that.

Quote:

Ever wonder why the US won't set targets on CO2 emissions?

Not really. But it's probably because we realize it would crippled the economy and impoverish millions of people.

Quote:

To answer your question the people of the US have to demand more and expect more.

More what?

Quote:

Most repubs though seem to relish that business can buy government from healthcare to CO2. I'm not saying the dems aren't guilty too but it's the right in America that sells America.

Don't kid yourself, it's both.

Quote:

We're going to disagree here but whilst government is undeniably heavily swayed by powerful interests, take the government out of the equation and the powerful interests will have even more power.

This is a common claim by the left. But it doesn't really stand to reason.

Quote:

The solution is to give the people more power

Which is exactly the opposite of giving more power to government. But many keep wanting to give more power to the government. Go figure.

Quote:

Pretty much the only people in this world who are worth dealing with want to empower the common man

And I'll wager that almost none of them are in government.

post #210 of 361
REID-

"Reid's first measure in that direction is a non-binding resolution that states: "It is the sense of the Senate that any agreement to reduce the budget deficit should require that those earning $1,000,000 or more per year make a more meaningful contribution to the deficit reduction effort."

The measure describes how well the wealthy have done lately, citing statistics that say the median income of S&P 500 companies chief financial officers jumped $2.9 million last year alone, even though the "median family income has declined by more than $2,500" in the last 10 years.

The resolution also notes that 20 percent all income goes to the top 1 percent, and 80 percent of the nation's income growth over the last quarter century has also gone to the top 1 percent.

GOP RESPONSE-

"Having the Senate declare that millionaires should share more of the pain involved in putting America's financial house in order is "rather pathetic," Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) declared Tuesday.
post #211 of 361
Quote:

I don't because it's not true.

Sorry you don't qualify to comment on the state of US healthcare compared to the rest of the world. US $150 for an ear infection, an hour long wait after the appointment time, 5 minutes' consultation and some antibiotic ear drops, is not 'real health care'. As a non citizen traveling here in Hong Kong, in case something happens, you can get complete hospital treatment for $250 a day, unsubsidized by the government. As a US citizen if something happens and I need to go to the hospital in the US, what happens? Fuhgeddabout it! That's not real health care.
post #212 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Sorry you don't qualify to comment on the state of US healthcare compared to the rest of the world.

I am qualified to comment on a comment that declares there is no real healthcare in the US.

post #213 of 361
Quote:

Actually it really isn't. This is a a myth promulgated by an economically ignorant media.

Exactly. Which is what creates jobs.

This is a classical error. The investment and production must happen first. Consumption comes after production...always.

If people don't buy goods then they're not made or not sold and so people are laid off or not hired in the first place.

Consumer spending in the US accounts for 70% of GDP whether you like it or not.

America is truly a country of extremes and it amazes me that more people aren't sick of it and if they're not sick of it for themselves at least be sick of it for those who are sick of it.
post #214 of 361
Quote:

If people don't buy goods then they're not made or not sold and so people are laid off or not hired in the first place.

If the goods aren't made there's nothing to buy. Production precedes consumption. Always.

Quote:

Consumer spending in the US accounts for 70% of GDP whether you like it or not.

I didn't say it doesn't. But it's not what "drives" the economy. Investment and production do.

post #215 of 361
Quote:

Which is exactly the opposite of giving more power to government.

Not when government is truly representative of the people.

Some of the factions involved in politics are, among others, foreign interests, big business, the people, and the government establishment. Big business is absolutely not representative of the people, it is representative of investors. Right now the government represents big business more than the people. Big business hires people when they need them and fires people when they don't. By no means does investment guarantee job growth.

Taking government out of the equation just makes the situation worse. What we need to do is fix government so that it is once again, as the founders intended, representative of the people.
post #216 of 361
Quote:

I am qualified to comment on a comment that declares there is no real healthcare in the US.

You do know that was a comparative statement, right?
post #217 of 361
Quote:

What we need to do is fix government so that it is once again, as the founders intended, representative of the people.

Good luck with that.

post #218 of 361
Quote:

You do know that was a comparative statement, right?

Here is the original statement I replied to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon

Ever wonder why the US has no real healthcare, even when the government spends far more per citizen than they do in the UK and other places, even whilst Americans spend all they've got on insurance?

It was not a comparative statement and the whole statement contains two distinct falsehoods.

post #219 of 361
Quote:

If the goods aren't made there's nothing to buy. Production precedes consumption. Always.

I didn't say it doesn't. But it's not what "drives" the economy. Investment and production do.

So during the last ten years the median income of Americans going down by $2,500 whilst the ceo's of the fortune 500 income went up by $2.9 million last year alone, is a good example of a well functioning economy, got it.
post #220 of 361
Quote:

Production precedes consumption. Always.

Demand usually precedes production. Less economic fluency, less consumption, less demand. Less production. Usually.
post #221 of 361
Quote:

Here is the original statement I replied to:

It was not a comparative statement and the whole statement contains two distinct falsehoods.

You just loooove dealing in absolutes...

It was a comparative, exaggerated statement whether it was explicitly so or not.
post #222 of 361
Quote:

So during the last ten years the median income of Americans going down by $2,500 whilst the ceo's of the fortune 500 income went up by $2.9 million last year alone, is a good example of a well functioning economy, got it.

But haven't you heard? Putting more money in the hands of the uber rich creates investment, which creates jobs! This is why job growth in the US has been so phenomenal compared to other countries where the CEOs didn't get huge raises. Oh, wait...
post #223 of 361
Quote:

You might need a new transmission shifting gears like that.

Anyway, yes, inflation-adjusted median income in 2009 was about $49,777 but in 2001 it was $51,356 a reduction of $1579. Going back to 1999 (10 years before 2009) is was $52,587 a reduction of $2810.

Of course it was at $52,163 in 2007, so most (about 80%) of that change has happened in the last two years.

post #224 of 361
Quote:

Well I have to deal with what was said.

post #225 of 361
Quote:

Good luck with that.

Good luck with hoping that big business represents the people's interests well.
post #226 of 361
Quote:

But haven't you heard? Putting more money in the hands of the uber rich creates investment, which creates jobs! This is why job growth in the US has been so phenomenal compared to other countries where the CEOs didn't get huge raises. Oh, wait...

Well, when the federal government is doing everything possible to destroy jobs and scare the shit out of the private sector, you might expect investment to slow down.

post #227 of 361
Quote:

Good luck with hoping that big business represents the people's interests well.

While I might hope that I don't necessarily expect it. Never said I did. Meanwhile, you seem to expect you can create good government.

post #228 of 361
Quote:

Well I have to deal with what was said.

Why? I have no problem dealing with what was implied.
post #229 of 361
Quote:

Well, when the federal government is doing everything possible to destroy jobs and scare the shit out of the private sector, you might expect investment to slow down.

This one deserves a .
post #230 of 361
Quote:

Why? I have no problem dealing with what was implied.

I don't try to read people's minds. If that's what the poster meant he should be more clear.

But it doesn't really matter...There is real healthcare in the US in both an absolute and a relative sense.

post #231 of 361
Quote:

This one deserves a .

I get that you don't agree.

post #232 of 361
Quote:

Demand usually precedes production. Less economic fluency, less consumption, less demand. Less production. Usually.

While I'm not sure what "economic fluency" means in this context, I get what I think you're trying to say.

Expected consumption (predicted demand) directs investment and production. This is true of course. But there can be all the demand in the world, but nothing happens until production happens first.

There is always a speculative aspect to investment and production. But there must be capital to invest to get the machine rolling. And while demand for some some goods and services may be lower during a recession, there is still plenty of demand for other goods and services. There is always demand it just may be that investment and production needs to be shifted toward those goods (e.g., more of necessities, etc.) and away from more luxury items.

post #233 of 361
Quote:

You might need a new transmission shifting gears like that.

Anyway, yes, inflation-adjusted median income in 2009 was about $49,777 but in 2001 it was $51,356 a reduction of $1579. Going back to 1999 (10 years before 2009) is was $52,587 a reduction of $2810.

Of course it was at $52,163 in 2007, so most (about 80%) of that change has happened in the last two years.

So going by your figures between 2007 and 2009 80% of the median income losses occurred. Funny that, because between 2007 and 2009 Wall Street profits were up by 720%. Unemployment went up by 102% and home equity went down by 35%. That's a nice return, considering.
post #234 of 361
Quote:

So going by your figures between 2007 and 2009 80% of the median income losses occurred. Funny that, because between 2007 and 2009 Wall Street profits were up by 720%.

Be very, very careful here. Profits were up so much because they were first down so much.

The Real Story Behind Those "Record" Corporate Profits

Quote:

Unemployment went up by 102% and home equity went down by 35%. That's a nice return, considering.

Yes, the side effects of the government and Fed created housing bubble booming then crashing are quite dire.

post #235 of 361
Private investment graph shows confidence in Obama- http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=S3
post #236 of 361
Quote:

It was a comparative, exaggerated statement whether it was explicitly so or not.

Exactly, easily justified by the fact that most Americans don't have adequate health insurance or have none. Medical bankruptcy is at over 2 million cases each year in the US and a lot of those people had insurance. California denies more than 50% of it's claims.

"45 percent of adults reported that rising costs of healthcare and declining insurance coverage prevented them from getting necessary medical care in 2007, causing them to sacrifice the health care they need."
~ http://news.injuryboard.com/report-7...oogleid=246254
post #237 of 361
Quote:

Exactly, easily justified by the fact that most Americans don't have adequate health insurance or have none. Medical bankruptcy is at over 2 million cases each year in the US and a lot of those people had insurance. California denies more than 50% of it's claims.

"45 percent of adults reported that rising costs of healthcare and declining insurance coverage prevented them from getting necessary medical care in 2007, causing them to sacrifice the health care they need."
~ http://news.injuryboard.com/report-7...oogleid=246254

I don't have the time to dissect these vague claims and out of context statistics. Let me just say this, I don't claim the US healthcare system is perfect or even great. In many ways it does suck. But the solution to this problem is not more government (already so heavily involved with the healthcare and health insurance markets that calling it a "free market" is simply idiotic.)

Solutions:

1. Allow health insurance to be sold across state lines.
2. Eliminate coverage mandates and premium regulations.
3. Do something to balance the paying field between employer-provided and self-purchased health insurance.

These will help tremendously.

Next, some deregulation in the healthcare products and services area would also help.

Finally, end all farm subsidies that make crappy, fattening, diabetes-inducing food cheaper.

post #238 of 361

post #239 of 361
Quote:

Yes.-
post #240 of 361
Quote:

Where do I sign up?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Free Speech Thread