or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Free Speech Thread

The Free Speech Thread - Page 8

post #281 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

You lost.

Uh huh. Back under your bridge, troll.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #282 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Uh huh. Back under your bridge, troll.

Mmmm...this is the free speech thread. Sleep well on your Libertarian chariot of charity that's strictly secret about how fast it is.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #283 of 361
What's the minimum amount of money the government needs to function in a Libertarian way per year?

Here's the major reductions I can think of-

No education
About a 60% cut in military spending
About a 50% cut in prison spending
Maybe a 98% cut in welfare spending?
No healthcare spending, (I'm not sure if you'd provide for veterans though)
Lots of things would be privatized, like roads and any government money removed.
Government funding of medical research etc removed.

The list goes on... any ideas?
post #284 of 361
Early Obama Letter Confirms Inability to Write:

Quote:
On November 16, 1990, Barack Obama, then president of the Harvard Law Review, published a letter in the Harvard Law Record, an independent Harvard Law School newspaper, championing affirmative action.

Quote:
The response is classic Obama: patronizing, dishonest, syntactically muddled, and grammatically challenged. In the very first sentence Obama leads with his signature failing, one on full display in his earlier published work: his inability to make subject and predicate agree.

Since the merits of the Law Review's selection policy has been the subject of commentary for the last three issues, wrote Obama, I'd like to take the time to clarify exactly how our selection process works.

If Obama were as smart as a fifth-grader, he would know, of course, that merits . . . have. Were there such a thing as a literary Darwin Award, Obama could have won it on this on one sentence alone. He had vindicated Chen in his first ten words.

Quote:
Another distinctive Obama flaw is to allow a string of words to float in space. Please note the unanchored phrase in italics at the end of this sentence:

No editors on the Review will ever know whether any given editor was selected on the basis of grades, writing competition, or affirmative action, and no editors who were selected with affirmative action in mind.

Huh?

The next lengthy sentence highlights a few superficial style flaws and a much deeper flaw in Obamas political philosophy.

I would therefore agree with the suggestion that in the future, our concern in this area is most appropriately directed at any employer who would even insinuate that someone with Mr. Chen's extraordinary record of academic success might be somehow unqualified for work in a corporate law firm, or that such success might be somehow undeserved.

Obama would finish his acclaimed memoir, Dreams from My Father, about four years later. Prior to Dreams, and for the nine years following, everything Obama wrote was, like the above sentence, an uninspired assemblage of words with a nearly random application of commas and tenses.

Quote:
Scarier than Obamas style, however, is his thinking. A neophyte race hustler after his three years in Chicago, Obama is keen to browbeat those who would even insinuate that affirmative action rewards the undeserving, results in inappropriate job placements, or stigmatizes its presumed beneficiaries.

In the case of Michelle Obama, affirmative action did all three. The partners at Sidley Austin learned this the hard way. In 1988, they hired her out of Harvard Law under the impression that the degree meant something. It did not. By 1991, Michelle was working in the public sector as an assistant to the mayor. By 1993, she had given up her law license.

Had the partners investigated Michelles background they would have foreseen the disaster to come. Sympathetic biographer Liza Mundy writes, Michelle frequently deplores the modern reliance on test scores, describing herself as a person who did not test well.

She did not write well either. Mundy charitably describes her senior thesis at Princeton as dense and turgid. The less charitable Christopher Hitchens observes, To describe [the thesis] as hard to read would be a mistake; the thesis cannot be read at all, in the strict sense of the verb. This is because it wasn't written in any known language.

Quote:
On the basis of his being elected president of Law Reviewa popularity contestObama was awarded a six-figure contract to write a book. To this point, he had not shown a hint of promise as a writer, but Simon & Schuster, like Sidley Austin, took the Harvard credential seriously. It should not have. For three years Obama floundered as badly as Michelle had at Sidley Austin. Simon & Schuster finally pulled the contract.

Then Obama found his muse, right in the neighborhood as it turns out! And promptly, without further ado, the awkward, passive, ungrammatical Obama, a man who had not written one inspired sentence in his whole life, published what Time Magazine called the best-written memoir ever produced by an American politician.

post #285 of 361
Quote:

/loudly coughs/

So you're picking a few complex errors from Obama, whilst Bush blurted out a completely new language!

Very telling.
post #286 of 361
Quote:

/loudly coughs/

So you're picking a few complex errors from Obama, whilst Bush blurted out a completely new language!

Very telling.

First, not me. I didn't write the analysis, I just pointed it out.

Second, Obama is a genius, Bush is a dunce (or at least that's the meme). Which suggests that one would expect the genius to not make mistakes like these at all and the dunce to make them all the time.

post #287 of 361
It's very telling when one points out that something is very telling.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #288 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

It's very telling when one points out that something is very telling.

Very telling that you pointed out that very telling point in a very telling and pointed fashion. Pointedly. Very telling indeed.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #289 of 361
post #290 of 361
Quote:

First, not me. I didn't write the analysis, I just pointed it out.

Second, Obama is a genius, Bush is a dunce (or at least that's the meme). Which suggests that one would expect the genius to not make mistakes like these at all and the dunce to make them all the time.

No these are the kinds of mistakes one would expect only to be made by someone who is regarded as highly intelligent. Bush on the other hand made mistakes that one would expect only to be made by someone who had a very rudimentary understanding of things.
post #291 of 361
Quote:

No these are the kinds of mistakes one would expect only to be made by someone who is regarded as highly intelligent. Bush on the other hand made mistakes that one would expect only to be made by someone who had a very rudimentary understanding of things.

Let me get this straight. Be cause he was so smart he made fundamental mistakes? I realize that people make mistakes when they are drafting something. Then they go through the editing process and clear up those mistakes. When this is what comes out of the editing process it shows either a clear misunderstanding of some of the most common rules of the English language at worst or a laziness and lack of caring about how your paper or book will be read and received at best. One can be corrected through study, the other is a character trait.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #292 of 361
post #293 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Let me get this straight. Be cause he was so smart he made fundamental mistakes? I realize that people make mistakes when they are drafting something. Then they go through the editing process and clear up those mistakes. When this is what comes out of the editing process it shows either a clear misunderstanding of some of the most common rules of the English language at worst or a laziness and lack of caring about how your paper or book will be read and received at best. One can be corrected through study, the other is a character trait.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. He used "has" instead of "have". Get over it.

And here's a very telling Wikipedia article on Jack Cashill that wrote that hit-piece-

"Cashill has written a series of essays concerning his theory that Barack Obama's autobiography Dreams From My Father was ghostwritten by former Weather Underground leader Bill Ayers. The charge was "popular on various right-wing Web sites" in the closing weeks of Obama's 2008 campaign for the presidency."
~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cashill
post #294 of 361
Quote:

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. He used "has" instead of "have". Get over it.

And here's a very telling Wikipedia article on Jack Cashill that wrote that hit-piece-

"Cashill has written a series of essays concerning his theory that Barack Obama's autobiography Dreams From My Father was ghostwritten by former Weather Underground leader Bill Ayers. The charge was "popular on various right-wing Web sites" in the closing weeks of Obama's 2008 campaign for the presidency."
~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cashill

There was a lot more than that. And the circumstances surrounding it you still do not speak to.

I could actually care less overall. But your position really is interesting to read. The more mistakes you make the smarter you are, unless you are a republican...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #295 of 361
"As good a place as any to get such a dose is my home state of Colorado, which this month provided two emblematic examples of how the two-party duopoly really operates.

Exhibit A is our Republican secretary of state, Scott Gessler. Though his job is to enforce campaign finance rules and protect voting rights, hes proudly using his office for exactly the opposite.

After being elected in 2010, Gessler first reduced campaign finance fines against the local Republican Party in Larimer County and then announced that he will headline a fundraiser to help that local party pay off the levies. Now, this GOP hack is suing the overwhelmingly Democratic bastion of Denver in an attempt to prevent ballots from being sent to 55,000 of the citys registered voters. Gesslers public rationale? He says that because these citizens chose not to vote in the last election, they shouldnt get ballots this year.

Exhibit B is Democrat Tom Stricklanda flesh-and-blood monument to revolving-door corruption.

Back in the 1990s, Strickland got his start serving as Colorados U.S. attorney. He then slid into a lucrative job at one of Colorados top corporate law firms. A few years later, he jumped back into public service, making two failed Democratic bids for the U.S. Senate. From there, it was on to the executive vice presidency of UnitedHealth Group, one of the nations most rapacious health insurance companies.

When Barack Obama was elected president, Strickland headed back into government, as the chief of staff of the Interior Departmentthe agency thats supposed to regulate the oil and gas industry. Then, this week, Strickland got himself a job at the law firm defending BP in the Deepwater Horizon spill.

Despite being tied to major issues and a crucially important electoral swing state, and despite the overtly public nature of their moves, Gessler and Stricklands actions received almost no national media attention, which reminds us that these two political figures are not special casestheir behavior is todays unquestioned norm.

Gessler represents both a bipartisan effort to undermine campaign finance regulations and a win-at-all-costs attitude that has become pervasive in American politics - in this case, his is the Republican kind that is aimed at suppressing the vote. Strickland, meanwhile, embodies the Democratic side of a permanent bipartisan elite that has made corporatism and public service completely synonymous. The two Coloradans may exemplify different pathologies, but those pathologies both contribute to our political systems overarching dysfunction.

So the next time you tune into a cable TV pundit-a-thon or a talk-radio screamfest that tells you how divided American politics is, and how one party is so much more honorable than the other, remember Colorado and all the other examples like it before you head down the rabbit hole of election-year delusion."
~ http://inthesetimes.com/article/1200...itical_monster
post #296 of 361
I set up this thread in the hope that people here would just speak their own minds, not simply post links.

Last nights debate I thought Romney looked good, the rest, excluding Bachmann who I also think faired well, looked like...incompetence.

I'll give credit, Romney shone in that field. Even Ron Paul camr across as a murmering clone of his positions.

I wonder though how repubs will react to someone so sure footed when those policies are so well grounded in rational realities?

Obviously personally i think rom is too right wing by far but he's the real deal when it comes to good judgement. I'm not as scared as I have been about a rep potus. That's positive, given how awfull things were looking.
post #297 of 361
Quote:

I set up this thread in the hope that people here would just speak their own minds, not simply post links.

Last nights debate I thought Romney looked good, the rest, excluding Bachmann who I also think faired well, looked like...incompetence.

I'll give credit, Romney shone in that field. Even Ron Paul camr across as a murmering clone of his positions.

I wonder though how repubs will react to someone so sure footed when those policies are so well grounded in rational realities?

Obviously personally i think rom is too right wing by far but he's the real deal when it comes to good judgement. I'm not as scared as I have been about a rep potus. That's positive, given how awfull things were looking.

Romney has been the clear leader for some time. He's looked good all the way through. As of now he's my choice.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #298 of 361
I can't support Romney. Too authoritarian.

post #299 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Romney has been the clear leader for some time. He's looked good all the way through. As of now he's my choice.

Good choice!

I'm a little surprised... But good for you!

I think he has guts...real guts...that's what we need.

Edit- oh, and on China...Romney is right again...that's who America needs...that's what Europe needs...i just hope he fights at LEAST as hard as he talks.
post #300 of 361

post #301 of 361

post #302 of 361
How to Debate Politics Like a Gentleman:

Quote:
Disagreement in politics does not a pinhead make.

When it comes to debating politics, men then often create the following faulty syllogism:
  1. Im a very intelligent man and I believe X.
  2. This other guy believes Y.
  3. Therefore this other guy is a complete moron.

This is what essentially lies at the heart of nasty political discourse. And its surely a tempting conclusion to make. But take a step back. Does your opponent show other signs of being a feeble-minded moron? Did he graduate from college? Does he have a good job? Does he seem able to function as a normal adult? You know, dress himself, feed himself, and refrain from drooling? Probably so. Hes probably not an imbecile. He just feels differently than you do. He was raised in a home by parents with certain beliefs. Hes had life experiences that are divergent from yours. His faith or lack thereof has shaped him in ways that yours hasnt. Now, once you have established that your friend is not a pinhead, you can begin to have a polite debate.

Great read. I suspect all of us could learn something from it.

post #303 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1970 View Post

how to debate politics like a gentleman:

+1

post #304 of 361
Quote:

How to Debate Politics Like a Gentleman:

Except, sometimes that conclusion is true...like when it comes to demonstrably supported scientific theories, such as evolution.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #305 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Except, sometimes that conclusion is true...like when it comes to demonstrably supported scientific theories, such as evolution.

BR, thanks for sharing your opinion.

post #306 of 361
When someone comes to the conclusion supporting the "Satan's a Dick Theory of Fossilization", that person can safely be called an idiot in that field.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #307 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

When someone comes to the conclusion supporting the "Satan's a Dick Theory of Fossilization", that person can safely be called an idiot in that field.

I'm unfamiliar with this theory (and unable to watch the video right now). But again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

post #308 of 361

I post this in the Free Speech thread at least in part for the irony:

‘People’s Rights Amendment’ Would Knock Out People’s Rights

post #309 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I post this in the Free Speech thread at least in part for the irony:

‘People’s Rights Amendment’ Would Knock Out People’s Rights

Man...Lefties love the courts...until they do something they disagree with, hmm?  

post #310 of 361

Please delete.

post #311 of 361

post #312 of 361

post #313 of 361
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migration hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislature.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from Punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with Power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the Lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to complete the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free People.

Nor have We been wanting in attention to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good people of these Colonies, solemnly publish and de clare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

post #314 of 361

post #315 of 361
"It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government. " -- Thomas Paine

post #316 of 361

post #317 of 361

post #318 of 361

Quote:
The Census says 46 million Americans remain mired and poverty, and this is greeted as good news, because demographers had been expecting worse. About 15 percent of Americans are poor. That is the same ratio as in 2010 – and slightly higher than in 1966, despite the $16 trillion Washington has spent fighting poverty since Lyndon Johnson declared war on it.

The poverty rate was in steady decline until the government's "War on Poverty" started. Since then it hasn't changed much at all. Oops.

Quote:
Jeffrey Miron, writing last year in National Affairs, notes that “if the $1.45 trillion in direct [federal] anti-poverty spending in 2007 had been simply divided up among the poorest 20 percent of the population, it would have provided an annual guaranteed income that year of more than $62,000 per household.”

post #319 of 361
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #320 of 361
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel04.html Seems to back up his bible Claim and a few other claims made in the film.
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Free Speech Thread