or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Free Speech Thread

The Free Speech Thread - Page 2

post #41 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

This doesn't help. I got the "just say no" part. Still practicing on the iPhone? You need to slow down a bit.

Those of us with large fingers or slight shakiness in our movements can find typing on the iPhone an exercise in madness.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #42 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Those of us with large fingers or slight shakiness in our movements can find typing on the iPhone an exercise in madness.

No doubt. I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. But if one is going to post and one does have problems with the iPhone keyboard, then one should be extra careful or wait until you are at a computer.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #43 of 364
Hi Dr. Laura, thank you for having me on your show.

You're welcome. What's your question?

I'm American. I have a problem with some of my British friends. They like going around and calling other Americans "Cunts". It offends me. How do I convince them to be a little more sensitive?

Cunt, cunt, cunt. Americans call people cunts all the time. If you people would just stop attaching such significance to the word, it wouldn't have the power that it has today.

Really?

Yeah! Next time they say it, just ignore them.

Oh, so it's alright for people to call other people "cunt"?

As long as we don't make a big deal about it it won't hurt anybody.

So, do you think it might help if I call people "cunt" too?

Well, it might help dilute the shock of the word, so yes, i suppose it would.

So you don't mind if I call you "cunt", then?

Um...

Wow! Thanks for your help, Dr. Cunt. I'll try your suggestion. You're always such a wise and strong woman, for a cunt. Goodbye, Dr. Cunt. I'll tell all my friends that whenever they have a question about racism or foul language, they should just ask Dr Cunt, and Dr. Cunt will gladly help them.[Click]
post #44 of 364
Yeah, very glad Dr. Laura is finally leaving the airwaves and won't be dishing out awful advice anymore. (please don't write more books...please don't write more books...)

Hah, reminds me of that awesome NOFX song "You're Wrong"

Quote:
You're wrong about virtues of Christianity
And you're wrong if you agree with Sean Hannity
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

You're wrong when you imprison people turning tricks
And you're wrong about trickle down economics
If you think that punk rock doesn't mix with politics, you're wrong

You're wrong for hating queers and eating steers
If you kill for the thrill of the hunt
You're wrong 'bout wearing fur and not hating Ann Coulter
Cause she's a cunted cunt

You're wrong if you celebrate Columbus Day
And You're wrong if you think there will be a Judgement Day
If you're a charter member of the NRA, you're wrong

You're wrong if you support capital punishment
And you're wrong if you don't question your government
If you think her reproductive rights are inconsequent, you're wrong

You're wrong fighting Jihad, your blind faith in God
Your religions are all flawed,
You're wrong about drug use, when its not abuse
I hope you never reproduce

You're getting high on the downlow
A victim of Cointelpro
You're wrong and will probably never know

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #45 of 364
I wonder, do tonton's hypothetical exchange and the NOFX song referred to by BR fit into the "Two Wrongs Make a Right" category?

post #46 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yeah, very glad Dr. Laura is finally leaving the airwaves ...

It is fascinating, and a tad bit sad, to see how liberals express their hate toward conservative women... whether it is advise guru Laura Schlessinger, political pundit Ann Coulter, or former Governor Sarah Palin, liberals go out of their way to attack them viciously...

Sad.
post #47 of 364
Quote:

I wonder, do tonton's hypothetical exchange and the NOFX song referred to by BR fit into the "Two Wrongs Make a Right" category?

This is the free speech thread, no?

Can I ask you if you support Dr. Laura's "nigger" comments, and the way she put it, to a black woman on the other end of the line?
post #48 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This is the free speech thread, no?

Yes it is.

Quote:

Can I ask you if you support Dr. Laura's "nigger" comments, and the way she put it, to a black woman on the other end of the line?

I don't know what her comments were beyond a couple of headlines indicating that she used the word.

post #49 of 364
Quote:

Yes it is.

I don't know what her comments were beyond a couple of headlines indicating that she used the word.

So you don't read the news, you just read the headlines? Or do you pick and choose to read those stories that you think will fit in with your philosophy and ignore those you think may be critical?

Anyway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your reason was neither of those, but I'm still curious about why you chose not to read this particular story.
post #50 of 364
Quote:

So you don't read the news, you just read the headlines?

Yes. That's exactly what I said. That's also exactly the correct inference from what I said. You must be some kind of fucking genius.

Quote:

Or do you pick and choose to read those stories that you think will fit in with your philosophy and ignore those you think may be critical?

Quote:

Anyway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your reason was neither of those,

How gracious of you.

Quote:

but I'm still curious about why you chose not to read this particular story.

I have other things to read and pay attention to.

I really don't care what Dr. Laura does or says. Why do you? It's not important to me. Why is it for you?

post #51 of 364
Quote:

I really don't care what Dr. Laura does or says. Why do you? It's not important to me. Why is it for you?

So... you don't know the story, don't know what she said, yet you assume that my satirical criticism of her is "a wrong".

Typical.
post #52 of 364
Quote:

So... you don't know the story, don't know what she said, yet you assume that my satirical criticism of her is "a wrong".

Wrong. I was simply asking whether or not someone using an offensive word (like "cunt") as you suggest in your hypothetical conversation or as was done in the NOFX song quoted by BR in response to a first person (e.g., Dr. Laura) using a different offensive word ("nigger") is in the realm of doing a second wrong in response to an initial wrong thinking it will make things right.

It wasn't all that complicated.

Furthermore, can I assume that your hypothetical dialog is a replication of what was done on the Dr. Laura show only with "nigger" replaced with "cunt"? If so, ok. Then you are doing exactly what she did with a different word. You simply chose a word that you think she might find offensive. If your point (claim) is that she would have behaved differently were the tables turned on her, then perhaps you are right. I guess we won't ever know that for sure so at this point it would be pure conjecture.

post #53 of 364
Quote:

Wrong. I was simply asking whether or not someone using an offensive word (like "cunt") as you suggest in your hypothetical conversation or as was done in the NOFX song quoted by BR in response to a first person (e.g., Dr. Laura) using a different offensive word ("nigger") is in the realm of doing a second wrong in response to an initial wrong thinking it will make things right.

Now that makes more sense.
Quote:
Furthermore, can I assume that your hypothetical dialog is a replication of what was done on the Dr. Laura show only with "nigger" replaced with "cunt"?

Yes.
Quote:
If so, ok. Then you are doing exactly what she did with a different word.

That's exactly the point.
Quote:
You simply chose a word that you think she might find offensive.

Bingo!
Quote:
If your point (claim) is that she would have behaved differently were the tables turned on her, then perhaps you are right.

Thank you for that benefit.
Quote:
I guess we won't ever know that for sure so at this point it would be pure conjecture.

I don't think conjecture is the right word here. But my point was made. It was satire. It wasn't meant to be a literal prediction of what she would say.
post #54 of 364
If everyone is to be treated with the same standards, based on other far smaller gaffes that have gotten other radio personalities fired, Dr. Laura should have been shitcanned immediately. I would prefer the FCC lift their restrictions on radio as dropping n-bombs is far more offensive than saying "tits" or "cock", but we live in a very odd society where massive violence and racism aren't obscene but sex is (thanks, Christians!).

If she begins costing her radio station sponsors, then that's a better reason to fire her. Either way, I'm happy she's gone because I feel she embodies much of what is wrong with America and I don't like that she can reach so many people so easily with her hate-filled messages. That alone isn't reason to fire her. But I'm glad she's gone.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #55 of 364
I know I already shared this story in the Misc. News thread, but I wanted to share another article providing more details and share some additional thoughts of my own.

Mormon bishop fatally shot in California chapel; gunman killed

Quote:
The man shot Sannar in the foot then pulled him into the foyer, where he shot him in the face, the other bishop said, citing witness reports.

Quote:
Jordan said it does not appear anyone in the ward knew the shooter, who "is not a member of the church."

Absolutely nothing whatsoever about this on Huffington Post yet, and most news outlets are simply reprinting the generic AP article.

I have to wonder what kind of attention such a story would receive if it had been a Muslim cleric brutally murdered in his own mosque.

At this point, I am not jumping to any conclusions. I am not speculating as to the suspect's motives - I prefer to let the investigators sort all that out. All I can do is offer my heartfelt prayers for the victim's family and congregation - as well as the suspect's family.

But I believe that if the victim were a Muslim cleric, we would be seeing numerous articles and blogs out there immediately trying to link this heinous act to the Tea Party Movement, or to radical Christian fundamentalists, or other such perceived political enemies of the left.

Much like what happened with the NYC cabbie who got stabbed when a drunk man asked him if he was Muslim and he responded in the affirmative. In reality, the suspect in that case was nothing more than a drunkard whose motives are uncertain. He even worked or volunteered for a pro-Park51 ("Ground Zero Mosque") group!

It's quite apparent to me that the big box parties (Democrats AND Republicans) and their pundits in the media are using Muslims - and by extension the "Ground Zero Mosque" issue - as a "political football". Actually, make that religion in general. It's not about religious tolerance or protecting the First Amendment at all. It's about exploiting any and every news story and issue possible for political gain. The same goes for race, gender, abortion, and any other such controversial and divisive issue.

In the case of a Mormon bishop being murdered in his own church, there is apparently little to gain politically as evidenced by the attention (or lack, thereof) given to it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #56 of 364
If he was shot simply for being Mormon, and there was no connection to the shooter, then it was a hate crime, open and shut, and just as heinous as any lynching in Texas.

You obviously don't follow HuffPo. If you did, you would realize that almost nothing is posted between 10pm Saturday night and 12pm Monday afternoon. I bet you it'll be up within an hour.
post #57 of 364
Quote:

You obviously don't follow HuffPo. If you did, you would realize that almost nothing is posted between 10pm Saturday night and 12pm Monday afternoon. I bet you it'll be up within an hour.

You're correct. I don't follow it on a regular basis, but pop in from time to time to see what they've got. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it later today.

post #58 of 364
Looks like HuffPo got around to reprinting an AP article about it at 4:05 EST today. But there's no link to the story anywhere on the main page.

post #59 of 364

post #60 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Looks like HuffPo got around to reprinting an AP article about it at 4:05 EST today. But there's no link to the story anywhere on the main page.

Interesting update. I knew there had to be SOME connection to the church. So this wasn't a hate crime, after all.
post #61 of 364
Quote:

Interesting update. I knew there had to be SOME connection to the church. So this wasn't a hate crime, after all.

What murder isn't done out of hate?

But I know what you mean - it doesn't fall under so-called "hate crime laws". Just some poor guy who wasn't right in the head and finally decided to act on his delusions. Sad stuff.

And also interesting that nobody jumped on the story and claimed that it was a hate crime before all the facts came out. Completely different reaction than the NYC cabbie stabbing story.

post #62 of 364
Quote:

What murder isn't done out of hate?

Crimes of passion aren't hate. Infanticide isn't hate. Euthanasia isn't hate. Crimes of greed or self-defense aren't hate. Crimes of psychosis aren't hate.

This crime seems to fall into the last category, according to what we know about the case.
post #63 of 364
Quote:

Crimes of passion aren't hate. Infanticide isn't hate. Euthanasia isn't hate. Crimes of greed or self-defense aren't hate. Crimes of psychosis aren't hate.

This crime seems to fall into the last category, according to what we know about the case.

I'm talking specifically about murder.

post #64 of 364
Quote:

I heard about this ruling briefly on the radio in the UK. The Brits were were saying our judicial system would make it far harder for a ruling like this to happen.

Anyway, interesting topic. I'm still on a very sloooooooow internet connection, so any links that better describe the impacts of the ruling would be appreciated.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #65 of 364
The following is a speech given by Michael Boldin of the Tenth Amendment Center on 09-04-10 in Fort Worth, Texas:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

post #66 of 364

post #67 of 364
The hypocrisy on the left is obvious:

What If This Were Bush?

Quote:
It goes without saying that if Bush had presided over a phony end to the Iraq war, expanded the Afghanistan war, extended its reach into Pakistan, solidified the state secrets doctrine and claimed in no uncertain terms the right to assassinate American citizens without due process, the left would be up in arms. The partisan hypocrisy concerning war-related issues is clear.

post #68 of 364
Smaller government and yet i believe in universal governmentt healthcare...it seems contradictory but on many levels it's not.

On the level of giving people universal healthcare gov can. Like say the UK. Propping up a system designed for only the weathy ( around 60% of the total hc spending in the US is through the gov and comes to much more than is spent here not just in dollars but real terms) is happening. The expenses of long pay checks making sure the insurance companies don't pay any more than they have to and the salaries to keep those sado's from migrating jobs and plenty of other bs cost tge gov billions. Save You Fucking Betcha. There are savings. The US has much good about it's promoting of private enterprise in it's many branches of hc and that should be respected and continued. Making changes doesxnot have to mean sacrificing that. Sadly the dems were a short on votes and will to cut these mega costs.

To death panelists, today i visited some very Conservative good friends. He had run as a Tory MP many years ago. She was upset that his father that had gone into hospital two days ago because of a severe stroke (his first) had had another one and the doctors were doing whatever they could to keep him alive. He's 90 and feels angry that their keeping him going.
post #69 of 364
Cut waste, would any TeaBaggers go this this far?

Typing would be much quicker if there were half or more less letters to choose between for many people. Which letters then should we drop?

I propose dropping the following letters-

C- lot like K

F- mostly used for sware words, anyway

G- Sounds horrible in most words

H- Too silent to be truly usefull

O- too close to A, especially for those with American accents

P- too close to B

Q- used almost solely to refer to the Queen

R- Usefull, but not essential

S- Other than plurals is almost completly useless

T- Very close to V and currently used way too often. Eliminating this letter alone will save huge amounts of time

U- Too easy to muddle with V

W- A complete and utter waste, basically it's two V's combined

X- irrelevant except for adult ratings, must go

Y- Often added to the end of words to make them sound cuter, again a waste of time

Z- Used for the word Zoo 99 times out of a hundred and a description for sleeping, retarded to have to type it.

That's 15 out of 26!
post #70 of 364

post #71 of 364
Quote:

The hypocrisy on the left is obvious:

What If This Were Bush?

Quote:
It goes without saying that if Bush had presided over a phony end to the Iraq war, expanded the Afghanistan war, extended its reach into Pakistan, solidified the state secrets doctrine and claimed in no uncertain terms the right to assassinate American citizens without due process, the left would be up in arms. The partisan hypocrisy concerning war-related issues is clear.

What would the right say if Obama starts a phony war that costs 3 trillion.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #72 of 364
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

Funnest post ever!
post #73 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

What would the right say if Obama starts a phony war that costs 3 trillion.

I believe Obama's War against Small Business will cost far more than you cite...
post #74 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

I believe Obama's War against Small Business will cost far more than you cite...

Really?
post #75 of 364

post #76 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

My small businesses have all shown gains in the last 18 month. Is that what you mean with "war" against small businesses? It has become hard for me to spend all the money we are making. I put in a 45 foot lap pool with it's own 4.2 KW solar power system and I still need to scramble for expenses.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #77 of 364

post #78 of 364
Hey, look, the US might not be the open-borders, free-trading bastion of lassiez faire capitalism that some assume after all:

The U.S. Has More than 12,000 Tariffs:

Quote:
Most Americans think of the U.S. as a free-trade country with open markets, and countries like China and Japan as protectionist countries with closed markets. And yet the U.S. is quite protectionist, when we consider that there are more than 12,000 tariffs (i.e. taxes) on imported products that are sometimes as high as 350% in the case of tobacco (pictured above); 164% on peanuts; 100% on jam, chocolate and ham; and 48% on sneakers, see the 25 American Products That Rely On Huge Protective Tariffs To Survive, and read a short accompanying article.

post #79 of 364
Federal Marijuana Law

The federal government regulates drugs through the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) (21 U.S.C. § 811), which does not recognize the difference between medical and recreational use of marijuana. These laws are generally applied only against persons who possess, cultivate, or distribute large quantities of marijuana.

Under federal law, marijuana is treated like every other controlled substance, such as cocaine and heroin. The federal government places every controlled substance in a schedule, in principle according to its relative potential for abuse and medicinal value. Under the CSA, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, which means that the federal government views marijuana as highly addictive and having no medical value. Doctors may not "prescribe" marijuana for medical use under federal law, though they can "recommend" its use under the First Amendment.

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), charged with enforcing federal drug laws, has taken a substantial interest in medical marijuana patients and caregivers in general, and large cultivation and distribution operations more specifically. Over the past few years, dozens of people have been targets of federal enforcement actions. Many of them have either been arrested or had property seized. More than a hundred are currently in prison or are facing charges or ongoing criminal or civil investigations for their cultivation or distribution of medical marijuana.

California Proposition 19--Legalization of Marijuana

Quote:
Allows people 21 years old or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. Permits local governments to regulate and tax commercial production and sale of marijuana to people 21 years old or older. Prohibits people from possessing marijuana on school grounds, using it in public, smoking it while minors are present, or providing it to anyone under 21 years old. Maintains current prohibitions against driving while impaired. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local governments: Savings of up to several tens of millions of dollars annually to state and local governments on the costs of incarcerating and supervising certain marijuana offenders. Unknown but potentially major tax, fee, and benefit assessment revenues to state and local government related to the production and sale of marijuana products. (09-0024.)

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk...-legalize-pot/

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.ph...itiative_(2010)

If it passes will there be a fight between the Feds and California---State rights issue?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #80 of 364

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Free Speech Thread