or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad - Page 2

post #41 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I don't remember the reason those isights were discontinued but they seemed to sell ok and I have seen them selling used for more then their original price. Not exactly what I would call a failure.

Of course that has nothing to do with wether or not this product is a success. I predict they will sell a million + in the next year.

Apple started building the webcams into the devices themselves.
post #42 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

This will go the same way as that overpriced web cam Apple made years back. Doomed to fail.

Not only was the iSight the lowest price firewire 400 web cam with the highest resolution in the market place it was truly stunning and had incredible build quality. I still. Have mine.

Apple could only just keep up with demand, and in the end the device was built into the laptop and imac ranges.

You obviously never owned one and could probably do with a history lesson.
post #43 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

International pricing is a little excessive. Might pick one up from the US later this year.

I don't understand why anyone would go to the US to buy Apple products, when you can go to Hong Kong and get products at virtually the same price, no sales taxes or GST, no export tariffs, and iPhones are 100% carrier unlocked and unsubsidized. Not to mention the currently unbelievably excessive cost of airfare to the US. I still think HK is the best place in the world to buy Apple gear once it's released here.
post #44 of 85
Great device. Certainly ahead of its time -- particularly the auto-focus, low-light sensitivity (F2.8) and video resolution.

Two problems with the device.
1). As manufactured, it didn't meet forthcoming RoHS compliance standards (which restricts Pb, Cd, Hg, Cr, PBB, PBDB)

2). The magnets in the display mount for the camera are strong enough to completely hoop a laptop hard drive. Yup, I found out the hard way.
post #45 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Doc, I think he was talking about the little gray trackball on top.

The technical term is "Scroll Nipple".
post #46 of 85
I played with one today - a co-worker bought one, and I got a new Macbook Pro yesterday for work, so I set it up and gave it a whizz. It's pretty neat all in all, and I can see it replacing a mouse with a little practice.

Certainly essential for small desks, and for those with wireless keyboards (for the matching design).

Clicking at the top of the device felt a little weird, because the buttons are on the bottom, underneath.

Should have come with the new Apple batteries, not Energizers!
post #47 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not sure if that was meant to be funny, but it was.

BTW, did the MightyMouse ever ship with a roller-ball? I don't think I've ever seen one with anything but LED tracking.

He meant the micro-trackball on the top.
It's otherwise known as the trackpea, or as my girlfriend calls it, the trackclit. (honest)
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #48 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

Worth noting that whilst it's not pressure sensitive, it is very likely that the Sketch stylus and the Droplet app will work for it. Not a Wacom, but at least a way to sort out a basic stylus method.

The Pogo Sketch iPad stylus works with the trackpad on my i7 MBP, so it should work with this contraption.

I'm still a Wacom fan. The pressure sensitive stylus is too valuable to give up. I've got the Wacom Bamboo Craft that has multi-touch and stylus input. I use finger input mainly for scrolling. The stylus is faster and more accurate.

I'll reserve judgement on this thing until i get a chance to try it out.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #49 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

You may be able to draw the numbers and add, subtract, multiply and divide symbols, like a Palm Pilot.

I'd love to be able to use Palm's Graffiti with my trackpad or even iPad and iPod touch. Some of the gestures (not all) could be extremely quick and useful.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #50 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

This will go the same way as that overpriced web cam Apple made years back. Doomed to fail.

I bought one and it still is a fantastic product. Of course, now that iSights are built into every Mac laptop and external display, there's not much need for one. Although, connecting mine to a long FireWire cable can be fun. I'd love to see Apple bring it back with higher resolution.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #51 of 85
I prefer the name "MacPad", I think the whole magic thing is just a little too trite. Having said that, I see we seem to have got over the peurile "pad" comments that the iPad garnered. Hooray for that.
post #52 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I don't understand why anyone would go to the US to buy Apple products, when you can go to Hong Kong and get products at virtually the same price, no sales taxes or GST, no export tariffs, and iPhones are 100% carrier unlocked and unsubsidized. Not to mention the currently unbelievably excessive cost of airfare to the US. I still think HK is the best place in the world to buy Apple gear once it's released here.

Perhaps it's more to do with the fact that more people visit the US and have the opportunity to do a little dollar-discounting that they do for Hong Kong. I doubt very much that many people actually make the trip *just to buy cheap shit*, and merely use the opportunity whilst there on other business.

As for airfair costs, where are you flying from?
post #53 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The Pogo Sketch iPad stylus works with the trackpad on my i7 MBP, so it should work with this contraption.

I'm still a Wacom fan. The pressure sensitive stylus is too valuable to give up. I've got the Wacom Bamboo Craft that has multi-touch and stylus input. I use finger input mainly for scrolling. The stylus is faster and more accurate.

I'll reserve judgement on this thing until i get a chance to try it out.

Having never used anything like this, I'm not sure about how it all works, but sure it would be possible for Wacom or someone to produce a wireless stylus that has the pressure sensitivity gubbins built into it's nib/tip/whatever, and with clever software use the tracking voa the surface as per normal, whilst allowing for further input (pressure/angle etc) to be transmitted by the stylus and used as relevant for the app at hand?

OK, I know they would rather sell the whole kit and such, but still...this is surely only a technical hurdle to overcome, it can't be impossible? Same goes for the iPad come to think of it. You could have a bluetooth enabled wireless input stylus that the app would need to understand in software, but could then extend the input capabilities of just the normal touchscreen for those art apps that require it.
post #54 of 85
If you have had an opportunity to try the 'Magic' Trackpad, does it have a right-click (menu) function. I didn't see that in the trackpad hype.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #55 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

If you have had an opportunity to try the 'Magic' Trackpad, does it have a right-click (menu) function. I didn't see that in the trackpad hype.

2 finger tap probably, like on the normal trackpads.
post #56 of 85
Well I love my wireless Mighty Mouse. I haven't even upgraded to the Magic Mouse yet, because I love the Mighty so much with its multi-directional trackball and pinch buttons on the side.
Still I can't imagine the Magic Trackpad being usable when laying out and designing products, or for that matter editing photos. To me it'd be much harder and more difficult to perform those tasks.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #57 of 85
Is it just me or does anyone else absolutely HATE the new Apple keyboards and their chicklet keys???
post #58 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Well I love my wireless Mighty Mouse. I haven't even upgraded to the Magic Mouse yet, because I love the Mighty so much with its multi-directional trackball and pinch buttons on the side..

I liked my Mighty Mouse also but the roller ball kept gumming up so I was getting frustrated with it. When the Magic Mouse came out I was skeptical, but I got one and now would never consider going back.
post #59 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Isn't it great that we get to decide for ourselves which we prefer?

You're missing the point. He didn't see why it was necessary to list that as a potential CON. It was, 'cause more people think they are. Mice are certainly more productive, for me. And I've heard others say similar.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #60 of 85
I love them. My white Macbook was the best keyboard I ever owned. Unfortunately my 13" MBP is a little less sensitive, and I very frequently find myself missing the letters "a" and "s" when typing. I'm thinking of having this serviced, actually.
post #61 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

If you have had an opportunity to try the 'Magic' Trackpad, does it have a right-click (menu) function. I didn't see that in the trackpad hype.

Yes it has a left-click and "right-click" (hardware) you can also configure "right-click" using two fingers, The click can be physical or you can tap to click. All of this is on the product pages on the apple web site.
post #62 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else absolutely HATE the new Apple keyboards and their chicklet keys???

Think it's just you. I can do 90 words now without RSI and with an awful lot less noise. Yes, took a little getting used to - but I'd never go back.
post #63 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else absolutely HATE the new Apple keyboards and their chicklet keys???

Yes, initially, but I adjusted pretty quickly.

I'm actually a faster typist by about 5 wpm on the chicklet keys vs. the "standard" keyboards; with the same accuracy.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #64 of 85
Can we be a little objective here? It is a major "con" that this thing can't be used as a input device to finally put the MacOS Inkwell technology into work. It is more than large enough for writing on, or drawing on. It is only Job's bias against styluses and handwriting recognition that is holding Apple back on this. Apple used to be about giving people choices. Now it is about Jobs way, or the highway. That needs to change.
post #65 of 85
Today I purchased a Magic Trackpad and rushed home to set it up with my Mac Pro. After 40 minutes on the phone with Apple Support it still does not work. I was finally blown off with a lame explanation that I should keep checking with software update because it doesn't look like the software for the Mac Pro has been released yet. So now I own a Trackpad with no magic, an iPad that cannot connect to half the WiFi spots I try to connect to and an iPhone 4 that cannot make phone calls.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new Magic Trackpad offers desktop Mac users a multitouch trackpad alternative to the mouse, designed to match its super slim aluminum keyboard.

The Magic Trackpad follows Apple's introduction of the Magic Mouse last year, which was similarly launched alongside a new batch of iMacs. New iMacs continue to ship with a Magic Mouse by default, leaving the new trackpad a $69 accessory (not an upgrade; if you buy one, you still also get a Magic Mouse with your order).



Cons:
You may prefer a mouse to a $69 trackpad.
Only a trackpad, not a digitizer tablet.
Doesn't Work

Where to buy

Amazon ($69.00)

MacMall ($65.99)

B&H Photo ($68.95)

MacConnection ($69.00)
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Reply
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Reply
post #66 of 85
I guess that I don't see how this is a review; it's got all the parts of a summary and a few editorials, but it doesn't go so far as to review the hardware. I would like to hear how it is to use, what are problems with buttons, with apps, with angle - anything. AI, would be nice to have more next time.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #67 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I guess that I don't see how this is a review; it's got all the parts of a summary and a few editorials, but it doesn't go so far as to review the hardware. I would like to hear how it is to use, what are problems with buttons, with apps, with angle - anything. AI, would be nice to have more next time.

It was written by Daniel Eran Dilger, Mr. "Roughy Drafted" himself. 'nuff said!

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #68 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else absolutely HATE the new Apple keyboards and their chicklet keys???

Just you. We all love it.
post #69 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Just you. We all love it.

Meanwhile, I'm getting very used to the iPad keyboard's implementation of true flatness. The chicklet keys were a first, very good step, buy I really really like recent changes toward total flatness.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #70 of 85
.....
post #71 of 85
Been wanting this product for a long time. Since before the rumors about it started 2 years ago. Mine arrived yesterday and I have to say, I'm very impressed. It beats even the newest trackpads on Macbooks. Very smooth, large, stable (unlike the magic mouse) and a full library of gestures. Finally, I have expose and application switcher back in my hands!!
post #72 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHarry View Post

Today I purchased a Magic Trackpad and rushed home to set it up with my Mac Pro. After 40 minutes on the phone with Apple Support it still does not work. I was finally blown off with a lame explanation that I should keep checking with software update because it doesn't look like the software for the Mac Pro has been released yet. So now I own a Trackpad with no magic, an iPad that cannot connect to half the WiFi spots I try to connect to and an iPhone 4 that cannot make phone calls.

Sounds like you have absolutely no clue on how to use the products you buy.

Also sounds like someone should take power of attorney over your finances, since you seem incapable of stopping yourself from buying products that don't work.

#1. Magic Trackpad requires nothing special. Download the software. Turn it on. Use it. You'd have to try very hard to screw this up. I couldn't keep a 4 year old from figuring it out within 40 minutes.

#2. The iPad works fine on all WiFi networks. Prior to the update, it didn't do well with 64bit WEP secure networks. Now its fine.

#3. If your phone cannot make phone calls, you need more help than 'technical support' can offer.
post #73 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I guess that I don't see how this is a review; it's got all the parts of a summary and a few editorials, but it doesn't go so far as to review the hardware. I would like to hear how it is to use, what are problems with buttons, with apps, with angle - anything. AI, would be nice to have more next time.

It's not some mystery product that came out of an unheard of company is bangcock.

Its an Apple trackpad. If you've used one, you've used this one.
post #74 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHarry View Post

Today I purchased a Magic Trackpad and rushed home to set it up with my Mac Pro. After 40 minutes on the phone with Apple Support it still does not work. I was finally blown off with a lame explanation that I should keep checking with software update because it doesn't look like the software for the Mac Pro has been released yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

#1. Magic Trackpad requires nothing special. Download the software. Turn it on. Use it. You'd have to try very hard to screw this up.

Did you read the original post?

Has the Magic Trackpad Update been released for the Mac Pro yet?

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #75 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

This will go the same way as that overpriced web cam Apple made years back. Doomed to fail.

Have you used a Macbook Trackpad?
After switching over to Mac, one of the many good things is indeed the trackpad.
Add BetterTouchTool (or other equivalent) and you have an outstanding tool for gestures and program control etc.

I expect this even larger trackpad to be very successful, once people have 'tried' it - or for those already familiar with the laptop trackpads....


Mind you, I always liked those optical Logitech trackball mice (with the trackball under your thumb)

post #76 of 85
Just my luck. I have a problem and a dick shows up with a bag full of useless sarcasm. If you have nothing nice to say, STFU!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sounds like you have absolutely no clue on how to use the products you buy.

Also sounds like someone should take power of attorney over your finances, since you seem incapable of stopping yourself from buying products that don't work.

#1. Magic Trackpad requires nothing special. Download the software. Turn it on. Use it. You'd have to try very hard to screw this up. I couldn't keep a 4 year old from figuring it out within 40 minutes.

#2. The iPad works fine on all WiFi networks. Prior to the update, it didn't do well with 64bit WEP secure networks. Now its fine.

#3. If your phone cannot make phone calls, you need more help than 'technical support' can offer.
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Reply
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Reply
post #77 of 85
Mouse is better than a trackpad isn't it? The only reason to use a trackpad is if you're on the road, and even then some people buy a mouse and keep it in their laptop case. But this seem to be a larger than normal trackpad, maybe that will make all the difference. A desktop computer has a larger screen after all, so why not a larger trackpad.
post #78 of 85
Hi guys...
Just a quick question......: can anybody tell me the dimensions of the trackpad (as can't find it anywhere, just that it is 80% bigger that Macbook pads...). And the dimensions of the bluetooth keyboard (the newer one without the numerical pad on the right).
Thanks a lot......... (still got the old wired keyboard and wired apple mouse (mighty mouse, I think it was called) and I have been thinking about changing they keyboard, but, now I have seen the v good feedback for the trackpad, I am considering purchasing both at the same time, but need to know if they will fit in the keyboard tray of my computer table (bit small, as I have got keyboard and mouse on 2 different levels..).
Thanks again
post #79 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Hi guys...
Just a quick question......: can anybody tell me the dimensions of the trackpad (as can't find it anywhere, just that it is 80% bigger that Macbook pads...)

Magic Trackpad:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...cxNzI#overview

The size of the Bluetooth keyboard is not listed:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...A2MzY#overview

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #80 of 85
Since I am someone that uses Windex on all things that look dirty, I came across this article on cleaning the Magic Trackpad. I thought it was helpful.

They must be addressing me at bullet point number one under what NOT to do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad