or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad - Page 3

post #81 of 85
I just acquired a new Apple mouse and trackpad, along with the extended keyboard (can't live without a keypad). After using a "mighty mouse" for quite a while (prefer using a basic Logitech mouse), I must say that the new devices are a dramatic improvement.

The mouse with its touch sensitive surface is actually very good (much better than the little trackball on the mighty mouse) and has a nice weight and feel to it. The trackpad is excellent -- the larger size makes it better to use than the laptop equivalents, and I find its position to the side of the keyboard better as it doesn't get in the way when typing.

I'm actually using both the trackpad and mouse at the same time (as in they are both there, connected, and available), one to the left of the keyboard and one to the right. This works very well and is surprisingly natural (and no, I'm not especially ambidextrous). I'm still building muscle memory for this kind of workflow, but I'm already gravitating to the trackpad for light uses and quick movements (its faster to acquire) and grabbing the mouse only when I need to do something more precise or protracted. Sometimes it depends on which hand I'm using on the keyboard.

Even the chiclet keyboard is starting to grow on me, and I'm a pretty fussy typist. I've used and hated chiclet keyboards before, but for some reason this one feels better. I was going to keep my previous old Apple Extended keyboard, but its starting to look like that will go on sale with the old Mac.

I also bought the Apple charger & batteries, and got 8 batteries in the process (2 in trackpad, 2 in mouse, 2 in charger, 2 extra... did I just get lucky?).
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

I just acquired a new Apple mouse and trackpad, along with the extended keyboard (can't live without a keypad). After using a "mighty mouse" for quite a while (prefer using a basic Logitech mouse), I must say that the new devices are a dramatic improvement.

The mouse with its touch sensitive surface is actually very good (much better than the little trackball on the mighty mouse) and has a nice weight and feel to it. The trackpad is excellent -- the larger size makes it better to use than the laptop equivalents, and I find its position to the side of the keyboard better as it doesn't get in the way when typing.

I'm actually using both the trackpad and mouse at the same time (as in they are both there, connected, and available), one to the left of the keyboard and one to the right. This works very well and is surprisingly natural (and no, I'm not especially ambidextrous). I'm still building muscle memory for this kind of workflow, but I'm already gravitating to the trackpad for light uses and quick movements (its faster to acquire) and grabbing the mouse only when I need to do something more precise or protracted. Sometimes it depends on which hand I'm using on the keyboard.

Even the chiclet keyboard is starting to grow on me, and I'm a pretty fussy typist. I've used and hated chiclet keyboards before, but for some reason this one feels better. I was going to keep my previous old Apple Extended keyboard, but its starting to look like that will go on sale with the old Mac.

I also bought the Apple charger & batteries, and got 8 batteries in the process (2 in trackpad, 2 in mouse, 2 in charger, 2 extra... did I just get lucky?).

The Apple charger is supposed to come with two pairs of batteries.
post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Mouse is better than a trackpad isn't it? The only reason to use a trackpad is if you're on the road, and even then some people buy a mouse and keep it in their laptop case. But this seem to be a larger than normal trackpad, maybe that will make all the difference. A desktop computer has a larger screen after all, so why not a larger trackpad.

I wanted to give it a try, because there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. Trackpads were a compromise because of the limitations of mobile computing, but this trackpad is pretty nice. It really depends on what you prefer, I don't think I'll give up my regular mouse though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Did you read the original post?

Has the Magic Trackpad Update been released for the Mac Pro yet?

This update, released two days (July 27) before the posted complaint (July 29), works fine on my Mac Pro:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1066
It wasn't available by software update though, and I really don't understand that. The trackpad's basic features do work without the update, but the gestures and the "tap to click" require the update.
post #84 of 85
I just got one today. I have large hands and I find it less comfortable to use than a mouse because with the mouse you can rest the weight of your fingers on the mouse, but with this you have to hover them above the device which gets tiring very quickly.

If I turn off all the extra scrolling/pinching/swiping etc gestures in System Preferences it is better because it allows me to rest all my fingers on it and move the cursor that way, but then I lose the rather great ability to scroll with 2 fingers.

Something tells me, this will soon be in the closet with all the other things I've bought and given up on in the first 24hrs.
post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I just got one today. I have large hands and I find it less comfortable to use than a mouse because with the mouse you can rest the weight of your fingers on the mouse, but with this you have to hover them above the device which gets tiring very quickly.

If I turn off all the extra scrolling/pinching/swiping etc gestures in System Preferences it is better because it allows me to rest all my fingers on it and move the cursor that way, but then I lose the rather great ability to scroll with 2 fingers.

Something tells me, this will soon be in the closet with all the other things I've bought and given up on in the first 24hrs.

I have large hands. I rest them on the Trackpad. I even have extra gestures turned on. You're not doing something right.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad