or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple looking into iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G

Apple looking into iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G

post #1 of 81
After numerous reports of problems, Apple is investigating the performance of the iPhone 3G when running iOS 4.

A spokeswoman for Apple told the Wall Street Journal that the Cupertino, Calif., company is aware of the reports and looking into the matter.

Users have complained of several major problems after upgrading to the new operating system, including slowness, decreased battery life and overheating. Several blogs are currently advising iPhone 3G users against upgrading to the new operating system.

Many users have expressed anger or disappointment at the situation. This phone has gone from being a dream to constantly annoying me. Not a way to make friends. I would upgrade to an iPhone4, but Im feeling pretty angry that Apple has forced my hand by making my 3G unusable, wrote one user on an Apple forum.

As reported in June by AppleInsider, iOS 4 for iPhone 3G is missing several key features, including multitasking and support for Bluetooth keyboards. The increased memory requirements of iOS 4 are cited as a reason for disabling the extra features. First generation iPhone and iPod touch units are unable to run iOS 4.

The problems with iPhone 3G's running iOS4 are the latest in a series of high-profile hardware and software mishaps that Apple has faced. Issues with the iPhone 4 antenna have, for the most part, eclipsed several other reported problems.

In addition to the iPhone 4 antenna problem, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs confirmed earlier in July that there is indeed a problem with the iPhone 4 proximity sensor. The company is currently working on a software fix for the sensor.
post #2 of 81
Yes! Soon please! So I don't have to wait 10 seconds to write an SMS or roll back to v3 !!!

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #3 of 81
Apple made it seem as though the original iPhone EDGE lacked sufficient processor speed and system memory to handle iOS 4. But as far as I am aware, the iPhone 3G uses the same SoC as the original and the only update was the addition of the 3G radio. I don't recall any increase in memory, CPU speed, or graphics update.

Soooooo.... Apple made the decision to EoL the original as opposed to a more gradual dying out of it's use.
post #4 of 81
IOS4 does not work well on iphone 3g. slow and power draining faster...
post #5 of 81
Man I have not had any problems after updating my 3G, except on the first version. That same day though there was a patch to fix the slowness issues. Every update since then has produced no ill affects. I just updated to 4.0.1 (8A306) the other day, no problems. I have a a thin rubber cover on the phone as well.
post #6 of 81
I experienced this extreme slowness after upgrading to 4 as well. Then I tried completely wiping the phone and starting from fresh. Now it works like new. Try it if you've got the time.
post #7 of 81
I lost my App data, but at least my phone is running normally again.

Following taken from:
http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How...U_Restore_Mode

DFU MODE

This method is best for restoring, upgrading, downgrading and such. This is not the same as regular restore (with the "Connect to iTunes" logo)

Step-by-Step:

1. Turn the iPhone ON
2. CONNECT it to the dock
3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode
4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds
5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button
6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so. The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER. It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot (hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.

Another Way is to hear to the sound of the hardware Disconnect and Reconnect. When you hold power and home to reset, once you hear the USB disconnect sound leave the power button but keep holding the home until you hear another USB plugin sound. This is the easiest way to know that your phone is in DFU mode.
post #8 of 81
The iOS 4 upgrade on my iPhone 3G has been a very disappointing experience. My iPhone 3G is linked to the Rogers network in Canada, and with three-year contracts here (makes AT&T look positively generous!), the earliest I could upgrade without a special Rogers promotion is next summer. So I'm likely stuck with the 3G for another year, and I would really like it to work well for the life of the contract. Since updating to iOS 4, I've experienced ridiculous slow-downs and freezes. When I upgraded to iOS 4.0.1, the performance improved, although relatively marginally.
post #9 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

That is wayyyy too sweeping a generalisation to make from your personal experience.

From mine, I would say quite the opposite - I find several things (including battery life, bluetooth control and sound quality, plus folders) working much better in iOS4. I do notice (and expected it) slower application start-up times, too imperceptible to trouble me (I also have a 3GS to compare with). I spent around 3 days using the upgraded 3G alone and to be honest, I'd be happy using it as my main phone for another 2 years as it does most of what I want done and all that I need done.

It must be said that several of my colleagues who upgraded their 3G's are either unhappy or have downgraded back to 3.1.3, but when I ask how they upgraded, they generally tinkered with and interrupted the tediously long upgrade process, thereby hosing it.

I suspect that a great deal of unhappy upgraders are tinkerers, jailbreakers and the like, or just plain smart-ass know-it-alls too "knowledgeable" to follow simple instructions and exercise a little patience during crucial processes like OS upgrades.

But then again, that's just my personal perspective.
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLo View Post

I lost my App data, but at least my phone is running normally again.

Following taken from:
http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How...U_Restore_Mode

DFU MODE

This method is best for restoring, upgrading, downgrading and such. This is not the same as regular restore (with the "Connect to iTunes" logo)

Step-by-Step:

1. Turn the iPhone ON
2. CONNECT it to the dock
3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode
4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds
5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button
6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so. The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER. It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot (hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.

Another Way is to hear to the sound of the hardware Disconnect and Reconnect. When you hold power and home to reset, once you hear the USB disconnect sound leave the power button but keep holding the home until you hear another USB plugin sound. This is the easiest way to know that your phone is in DFU mode.

"It just works"
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

That is wayyyy too sweeping a generalisation to make from your personal experience.

From mine, I would say quite the opposite - I find several things (including battery life, bluetooth control and sound quality, plus folders) working much better in iOS4. I do notice (and expected it) slower application start-up times, too imperceptible to trouble me (I also have a 3GS to compare with). I spent around 3 days using the upgraded 3G alone and to be honest, I'd be happy using it as my main phone for another 2 years as it does most of what I want done and all that I need done.

It must be said that several of my colleagues who upgraded their 3G's are either unhappy or have downgraded back to 3.1.3, but when I ask how they upgraded, they generally tinkered with and interrupted the tediously long upgrade process, thereby hosing it.

I suspect that a great deal of unhappy upgraders are tinkerers, jailbreakers and the like, or just plain smart-ass know-it-alls too "knowledgeable" to follow simple instructions and exercise a little patience during crucial processes like OS upgrades.

I didn't interrupt the long upgrade process, but my phone became a huge frustration after I upgraded. When writing emails in Japanese the phone would slow and crash after about 4 lines. Apps often crashed, phone became unresponsive when there was an incoming call. Extremely frustrating and it's what drove me to upgrade to the iPhone 4 a couple months faster than expected. It's not driving me away from Apple, but I'm unimpressed that they decided it was ok to release that software on the 3G. Out of about six friends that have upgraded no one has been happy with iOS4 on the 3G. I find it hard to believe all of Apple's test phones worked fine.
post #12 of 81
I have upgraded two Iphone 3G's and they are both working well. A little bit slower but nothing really to complain about. Rogers will no doubt allow upgrades at two years so will likely be getting new IPhone 4's shortly. I am thinking of upgrading end of September as I suspect Apple will have the antennae issue factory fixed by then, and the backlog of manufactured units have all been shipped and sold.

Back to topic, iOS4 on my IPhone 3 works well enough.
post #13 of 81
Quote:

I am glad that your upgrade works and went so well.

I am a bit puzzled though that you give advice that you do not keep (generalizing based on limited data).

Mine did not work in the sense that it is slow, Safari "hangs" etc. I did not tinker, and there were no interruptions.
post #14 of 81
I upgraded my 3G while waiting for my iphone4. The upgrade worked without a hitch. The worst was simply waiting for that huge download. Was definitely slower after. Then it got slower and slower. Before the iphone4 arrived, I could not even answer a phone call with a Bluetooth headset as the lag to pickup the call took longer that AT&T to kick it over to voicemail. It was miserable near the end. Tried every simple reset I could without wiping my data. No change.

Post upgrade some of my apps no longer worked either (not ios4 compatible). Perhaps that has something to do with it. The code is still in there it just doesn't work right. I can only guess at the real or imagined effect it may have

After I got the new phone I decided to give the old one to my mom. I completely rest the the phone ( but did not reinstall the OS). It was still a dead toad at that point. I downgraded it to 3.1.3 and it worked like a champ after that. Whatever the cause, at that point the bad mojo was out.

I believe the claims that there are those with 3G that do and don't have the issue. Like cancer think finding the cause may be the real task.

With that said, I wish I'd done a truly clean install on that 3G and put iOS4 on it just to satisfy my curiosity. mYbe I can still get my dad to put it in DFU mode and throw iOS4.0.1 on there just to find out.
post #15 of 81
After upgrading my enterprise 3G phone, my life took a turn into the slow lane. Swipes on the phone lagged for several seconds before anything happened. Opening the camera lens or MMS took as much as 15 seconds. I regretted upgrading to iOS4. I told several friends at work to not upgrade and they haven't.

I just updated my OS again yesterday hoping that the problem might (fingers crossed) be addressed, but no such luck. If I could go back to the 3.X whatever version I would. Is this possible? If so, where are the instructions for doing so?
Anthracite
Anthracite
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I am glad that your upgrade works and went so well.

I am a bit puzzled though that you give advice that you do not keep (generalizing based on limited data).

Mine did not work in the sense that it is slow, Safari "hangs" etc. I did not tinker, and there were no interruptions.

Same here. On the 3G a major disappointment, on the 3GS couldn't be happier.
post #17 of 81
I know several people with the 3G. All that upgraded have had issues with iOS 4.0. I expect this from a company wanting to show that they technically have a new version of Android on a phone that can't really take it, but not from Apple so I have to assume this is was not an issue while testing v4.0 on the 3G. Hopefully this gets resolved soon as it's pretty awful.

PS: It sucks for the consumer that the Chicken Littles made a such a ruckus about the iPhone 4's new antenna design that a real issue affects real users who already own thw device and cant return it went virtually unheard of by most people, thus making it worse for them. Way to go, Asshats (you know who you are)ยก

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Apple made it seem as though the original iPhone EDGE lacked sufficient processor speed and system memory to handle iOS 4. But as far as I am aware, the iPhone 3G uses the same SoC as the original and the only update was the addition of the 3G radio. I don't recall any increase in memory, CPU speed, or graphics update.

Soooooo.... Apple made the decision to EoL the original as opposed to a more gradual dying out of it's use.

1) How or where did they make it seem like it "lacked sufficient processor speed and system memory" when it's the same speed processor and amount of RAM as the iPhone 3G.

2) As I recall from iFixit's teardowns of each device there were component model changes even though the processor type and speed, and amount of RAM was unchanged.

3) Even if we assume for a moment that the CPU, RAM and GPU SoC was similar enough to not require any driver changes there are still a mess of new and updated chips in the iPhone 3G. They didn't simply glue on a 3G radio to the original iPhone then call it a day.

4) Yes, Apple made a decision. They could make
Mac OS X run on Motorola-based Macs if they really want to, but that would be fruitless and silly. They made a demarkation point to stop supplying rich updates to their "cellphone" after 3 full years. I'm not sure of any other handset developer that keeps rich updates going for that long or offers them at the time of the release of their next big release. Case in point, the HTC Dream and HTC Nexus One.

5) I'm sure part of Apple's reasoning in even supporting a phone with rich updates for 3 years is because other vendors would spread themselves thin with too many products thus making it Pyrrhic Victory if they actually try to keep all their smartphones updated at the same time with all feasible features for 3 years.

6) The gradual dying will happen as it happens. If you don't want the latest tech then you probably don't care or even know about the latest features. If you are drilling using an EDGE-only smartphone in mid-2010 then the latest absolutely doesn't matter to that user and thinking Apple should be build, test and support a 4th phone simply because the base "performance" is the same as their next phone doesn't make much sense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #18 of 81
I had slowness/instability/spontaneous power down problems after upgrading to OS4. Finally thought I would try downgrading to OS3. It was really easy, and better, the phone's back to its normal self now. I would totally recommend downgrading to any 3G user unless your very attached to the new e-mail features and folders, the two things I miss now. Still, the device is responsive in a reasonable way now.
post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

After upgrading my enterprise 3G phone, my life took a turn into the slow lane. Swipes on the phone lagged for several seconds before anything happened. Opening the camera lens or MMS took as much as 15 seconds. I regretted upgrading to iOS4. I told several friends at work to not upgrade and they haven't.

I just updated my OS again yesterday hoping that the problem might (fingers crossed) be addressed, but no such luck. If I could go back to the 3.X whatever version I would. Is this possible? If so, where are the instructions for doing so?

Just google it. I downgraded my 3g successfully after the ios4 upgrade slowed it to a painful crawl.
post #20 of 81
I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS, so no issues (aside from all of the iPhone 4 issues) for me... but a friend of mine uses the 3G still and he showed me how horrible it runs iOS 4 on this 3G. I'm sure he did the upgrade like pretty much everyone else... thats why they call it "UPGRADING" rather than a full brand new install. Not everyone wants to lose thier SMS messages/etc.

His phone was horrifically slow... Text messaging especially. He could type only 1 character at a time and the character would "stick" for a second. I'm sure the issue is super annoying for iPhone 3G owners. I feel for yall. Hopefully you feel the same for us iPhone 4 owners lol. (Sensor issue, antenna issue, etc)
post #21 of 81
Rolled back to 3.1.3 last night. It was like I got a new phone. With iOS 4 on my 3G it was horrible. Super slow, could not answer calls because i could not swipe the phone open in time. Random re-boots in the middle of the night on my night stand.

iPhone 3G + iOS 4 = EPIC FAIL

The whole iOS 4/iPhone 4.0 is Apple's Vista. Apple should have NEVER allowed the 3G to updrade to the iOS 4.
post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Just google it. I downgraded my 3g successfully after the ios4 upgrade slowed it to a painful crawl.

Hopefully this issue also makes Apple aware that they need a proper downgrade process in place, but I doubt it.
post #23 of 81
I am absolutely livid that Apple doesn't offer a sanctioned downgrade path back to iOS3.

I also experienced the slowdown disaster - it became so bad that I missed about 70% of my incoming calls. Imagine trying to swipe the slider that is utterly unresponsive, while you see an important client calling through - repeatedly.

To make matters worse, it also killed my WiFi.

I'm in the same boat as Landnsea - I'm locked into a contract without an upgrade available in the near future.

As added salt in the wound, when I took it to the local Genius Bar, my support tech's response was simply "Wow, that's the worst I've seen yet." Yet he refused to downgrade it to iOS3. The store manager also refused to fix it, but graciously offered me a new 3G replacement - running iOS3!! wtf??!?! - for $300.

%^&$ that.

In the end, I opted for the total reset and lost ALL of my application data. The phone's performance is acceptable once more, but I'm beyond furious.

This really feels personal, because I'm a loyal Apple user with SEVEN macs - including two mac pros and 3 MBP's - between my home and business. I've literally personally converted at least 20 people into mac users over the last 15 or so years, but suffice it to say, my next phone is certainly not going to be an iPhone.

Instead, I find myself on a rabid anti-Apple crusade for the first time since using a mac in 1991. Between this shit experience and the antenna/proximity sensor issues of the new hardware, I'm waging a grass-roots campaign and warning potential buyers off of Apple's celphones. I've already convinced three people not to buy.

Clean up your act Apple. You've gone from one of the best, to going straight into the toilet.
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Same here. On the 3G a major disappointment, on the 3GS couldn't be happier.

I did find that if I leave 2 to 3 GB free on the phone it is better. It is not nearly as good as iOS 3 but at least the phone is generally useable
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I did find that if I leave 2 to 3 GB free on the phone it is better. It is not nearly as good as iOS 3 but at least the phone is generally useable

I haven't had a performance difference between a full and empty iOS device. Since they don't use vRAM and I assume the OS is partitioned anyway what would be the reason media storage free space on NAND would help with performance?
post #26 of 81
It's obvious the 3G isn't a priority anymore at Apple.

I've been through a number of firmware updates on my 3G, enough to know that it'll often make it slower, so I decided to wait on 4.0 and I'm glad I did based on what I'm hearing.

Even on 3.1.3 the notes app and SMS app have never been fast, but over time they've slowed and slowed. Rebooting (hard and soft) sometimes helps, but it eventually slows back down again. Probably a limitation of the technology available at the time, the 3G is just not what it used to be on any OS, and I wonder if it'll happen to the 3GS in a year as well.

I'm sure Apple felt obligated to update the 3G since it is still a relatively new phone, and don't want to be encumbered by old hardware, but they could've done a better job.
post #27 of 81
my wife and I both have the 3g, but not for long...

Sorry Apple we aren't upgrading to a flawed designed iphone 4 either...

what are we doing?

We are going to T-mobile!

Why?

Because I have an iPad wifi, and hardly use the internet on my iphone anymore AND I don't want another 2 yr contract with AT&T!

Why T-mobile?

I bought two Motorola E8's used off ebay for $70 for both, and we are going on a MONTH to MONTH plan! unlimited minutes for $79. Our iPhone bill was $191!!!

It's a phone period, all we need it to do is make calls, not surf the internet incredibly slowly, or crash, or anything else.

I'm sure I can find something else to do with the extra $100+ a month!

Yes, I'll keep my 3 other household Macs, yes I still love Apple, but until they come out with something better (or even Android does) for a reasonable amount of money monthly... who needs the headaches?
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT63 View Post

my wife and I both have the 3g, but not for long...

what are we doing?

We are going to T-mobile!

Why?

Because I have an iPad wifi, and hardly use the internet on my iphone anymore AND I don't want another 2 yr contract with AT&T!

Why T-mobile?

I bought two Motorola E8's used off ebay for $70 for both, and we are going on a MONTH to MONTH plan! unlimited minutes for $79. Our iPhone bill was $191!!!

It's a phone period, all we need it to do is make calls, not surf the internet incredibly slowly, or crash, or anything else.

I'm sure I can find something else to do with the extra $100+ a month!

Yes, I'll keep my 3 other household Macs, yes I still love Apple, but until they come out with something better (or even Android does) for a reasonable amount of money monthly... who needs the headaches?

I have a 3g and will upgrade to the ip4 the moment my contracts let me. I love my iPhone. But there is nothing wrong with being pragmatic and facing up to the realities. Some people use their iPhones for calls only in which case I personally would buy a something smaller and cheaper.
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hopefully this issue also makes Apple aware that they need a proper downgrade process in place, but I doubt it.

Yes, but I'd rather they fixed ios4. Not because I need multitasking and folders, but because I can't upgrade mM calendar unless I run ios4.
On a different note - do people here actively use multitasking? Or do you just forget that its there and occasionally spend a minute or two closing apps? Whenever I use my wife's 3gs I don't really notice any difference.
post #30 of 81
I have both a 3G phone and a 2G iPod that have felt the effects of updating. I find it interesting how all the Mac news sites (AI included) waited until the WSJ did a report to mention anything. I've seen lots of antenna stories in the past month, but nothing about a lot of users with debilitated devices.
post #31 of 81
Quote:

Damn, talk about a "sweeping a generalisation"!
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, but I'd rather they fixed ios4. Not because I need multitasking and folders, but because I can't upgrade mM calendar unless I run ios4.

I didnt state it, but I meant it be above and beyond fixing iOS 4.0 on the 3G.

Quote:
On a different note - do people here actively use multitasking?

I do. Besides the staples of the Phone, Safari, Mail, and iPod apps I recently purchased TomTom. I didnt see the need when it first came out but with the new multitasking APIs it allows me to run everything else while still getting directions that come in over faded music even when not in the app. The arrow in the Menu Bar shows me that an app is currently using the GPS.

The beauty of Apples setup is that items arent simply running in the background if they are built right. They do what they need to do and then close, and I think its only the needed processes that are running.

Quote:
Or do you just forget that its there and occasionally spend a minute or two closing apps? Whenever I use my wife's 3gs I don't really notice any difference.

Based on the first sentence I would say you think that the double-tapping of the Home Button shows you all the apps (4 at a time) currently running in the background. This is not the case. This is simply the Fast App Switcher that lets you get back to your most recently used app in chronological order going left to right.

One or more of these app might still have a process or processes running but chances are there is not. You can verify this system apps function by restarting your iPhone and then going back into Fast App Switching. All the apps you had in there previously will still be there in the same order before you power cycled.

Three thingsI I wish that Apple would do with to make the double-tap more friendly:
  1. Add a badge to the apps in Fast App Switching (and on the Home Screen) that indicate that a process is still running
  2. Allow the icons in Fast App Switching to slide into view in portrait mode.
  3. Bring consistency back to the iPod controller in iOS 4.0. When the screen is locked and you double-tap the Home Button the controller is on top, like its always been, but if you are in the phone in any way you not only have to do the first initial steps to access the iPod controls but also have extra steps to take. You double-tap the Home Button and then slide the icons to the right to reveal a crammed iPod controls that are at the base of the display instead of toward the top and spread out in a way that is easy to access quickly, accurately and naturally.

PS: Some may not have noticed that the new audio background process allows apps to use the native iPod controls you can access outside the iPod app. For example, if you access Fast App Switching and then swipe to the right youll see the icon for your preferred 3rd-party audio player, not the iPod and be able to control it from there. That I like!
post #33 of 81
I want to express my disappointment as well. Besides the slowness, short battery life, and overheating, I found that a few of my favorite games and apps would shut down abruptly in between processes or while switching stages, etc. My Papago! GPS navigation app is also useless too because it's too slow. I'm getting the iPhone 4 if it would solve this problem, but it won't be available in my country for at least another 3-4 months... I very angry that I can't do anything and have to continue to bare to use my once-favorite iPhone for that long. Apple needs to fix this problem quick!
post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I haven't had a performance difference between a full and empty iOS device. Since they don't use vRAM and I assume the OS is partitioned anyway what would be the reason media storage free space on NAND would help with performance?

I dont understand it either, but the slowness and lag have lessened, and it is particularly noticeable when typing (e.g., texting).
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wienerdog View Post

In the end, I opted for the total reset and lost ALL of my application data. The phone's performance is acceptable once more, but I'm beyond furious.

Why didn't your backup restore?
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

I found a solution in the comments at another site.

Go to settings/general/home button/ spotlight search. uncheck all of the options, then restart your phone.

I tried it and it worked! performance was almost back to pre iOS4 levels, even after I rechecked most of the spotlight items.

I recommend trying this before doing anything more radical.
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT63 View Post

How do you know it's flawed? A bunch of online hyperbole?

You can get an iPhone 4 risk free for 30 days right now. No costs to cancel, return or break contract. Seems silly to abandon a platform you like because of a bunch of nonsensical ranting on the internet.

Quote:

I'm curious, what do you think the cheapest plan for the iPhone is? How much a month?
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

iPhone 3G + iOS 4 = EPIC FAIL

The whole iOS 4/iPhone 4.0 is Apple's Vista. Apple should have NEVER allowed the 3G to updrade to the iOS 4.

Not.

iOS4 is functioning on my 3G and I intend to keep it. One has to realize the 3G's 128Mb of RAM is a significantly-limiting factor, so like those running a PC with limited RAM, rebooting more often helps to "clear things out". Thus I shut my iPhone down at least every other night and usually nightly so it's freshly booted each morning. Doing that, it works just fine. Oh, did I mention it's jailbroken too? So not only does it work, it multitasks. I'm quite happy with iOS4 and it works well enough on my 3G that I've delayed ordering an iPhone 4. Yes, it's that good.

Some "EPIC FAIL". I suggest the fail is your post.
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Not.

iOS4 is functioning on my 3G and I intend to keep it. One has to realize the 3G's 128Mb of RAM is a significantly-limiting factor, so like those running a PC with limited RAM, rebooting more often helps to "clear things out". Thus I shut my iPhone down at least every other night and usually nightly so it's freshly booted each morning. Doing that, it works just fine. Oh, did I mention it's jailbroken too? So not only does it work, it multitasks. I'm quite happy with iOS4 and it works well enough on my 3G that I've delayed ordering an iPhone 4. Yes, it's that good.

Some "EPIC FAIL". I suggest the fail is your post.

Here is the thing though - Apple said that the 3G could not take full advantage of some aspects of iOS 4 because of the hardware limitations (e.g., multi-tasking). I knew that, and fully accepted that, as I was really only looking for folders and a unified inbox. However, by making that statement and putting those constraints on the iOS, the clear implication is that everything else will be fine, and that the iOS would run fine.

It does not apparently run fine on quite a few 3G iPhones, and this is a problem.
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wienerdog View Post

I am absolutely livid that Apple doesn't offer a sanctioned downgrade path back to iOS3.

I also experienced the slowdown disaster - it became so bad that I missed about 70% of my incoming calls. Imagine trying to swipe the slider that is utterly unresponsive, while you see an important client calling through - repeatedly.

To make matters worse, it also killed my WiFi.

I'm in the same boat as Landnsea - I'm locked into a contract without an upgrade available in the near future.

As added salt in the wound, when I took it to the local Genius Bar, my support tech's response was simply "Wow, that's the worst I've seen yet." Yet he refused to downgrade it to iOS3. The store manager also refused to fix it, but graciously offered me a new 3G replacement - running iOS3!! wtf??!?! - for $300.

%^&$ that.

This really feels personal, because I'm a loyal Apple user with SEVEN macs - including two mac pros and 3 MBP's - between my home and business. I've literally personally converted at least 20 people into mac users over the last 15 or so years, but suffice it to say, my next phone is certainly not going to be an iPhone.

Instead, I find myself on a rabid anti-Apple crusade for the first time since using a mac in 1991. Between this shit experience and the antenna/proximity sensor issues of the new hardware, I'm waging a grass-roots campaign and warning potential buyers off of Apple's celphones. I've already convinced three people not to buy.

Clean up your act Apple. You've gone from one of the best, to going straight into the toilet.

You should email this to Steve Jobs.
Edit: For anyone who wants to speed up their 3G and doesn't mind jailbreaking, take a look at this link.

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...h-daemons.html

I did this for my iPhone 2G on 3.1.2 and it really helped a lot.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple looking into iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G