or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's Steve Ballmer: 'Apple sold more iPads than I'd like them to sell'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft's Steve Ballmer: 'Apple sold more iPads than I'd like them to sell' - Page 4

post #121 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga
Perhaps the ironic thing is that the .NET 4 Touch SDK is actually pretty decent, as is the C# language compared to Objective-C. Combine that with some rather nice database, connectivity, and kernel technology and there's really no technical reason why Microsoft SHOULDN'T be able to make a kick-ass touch device. What they appear to be utterly incompetent at is using technology to build an actual solution to consumer needs and integrating well into a consumer's life. They still seem driven by the feature checklist and battling their competitors rather than just building good stuff for people.

Yes, but Ballmer wants Windows 7 on a Tablet, not their mobile OS. Windows 7 means having tablets with basically the specs of (at minimum) a cheap underpowered netbook running an OS designed for desktops with a keyboard and two-button mouse. If you want a thin & light tablet with long battery life & superior usability, this isn't the magic formula. In fact, this is a recipe for the exact opposite. Remember Project Origami? Microsoft has already tried this. All it does is make users wish they had a more powerful laptop with a real keyboard. And ironically, since the price bottom fell out of the PC laptop market, it's probably a better value to buy a decent laptop instead of a crippled Windows 7 tablet.

The .NET 4.0 Touch API is part of Windows 7 (it's what I was referring to). It's actually a pretty nice API and would enable some pretty decent apps. But again, Microsoft is trying to solve problems with technology that aren't technological problems.
post #122 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post


Just what are you trying to say christopher?

Made me laugh, John! Thanks for taking it as intended....humorously! Good on you!

Another way to say it....

"I'll take that hint....whatever it was!"

Best
post #123 of 187
Announcement from Balmer "Here we go again just Watch MS

Quote Hot on the heels of our resounding success

With the Zune

We shall be making a new product which will reach higher degrees of achievement

It will be the tablet from MS called the """ NUZE """ .

Pronounced Noose
post #124 of 187
Recently I spent several hours reading the Microsoft employees blog with many, many posting from those middle aged coders and sales people who had lost their jobs due to the Microsoft policy of firing the 10% who have not been given high job ratings. Magically, the upper echelons of Microsoft management do not get fired in the same way for underperformance, even if their stuff-ups are of the multi-million dollar kind (as in Ros Ho).

If I had not read those terrible posts of men wondering whether they were going to get jobs again and be able to feed their families I might (just might!) begin to feel sorry for Ballmer and his clueless ramblings about the products Microsoft can't come close to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #125 of 187
The iPad is pretty awesome. Allow me just one cross-posting here, that's all, I promise:

iPad shuts down in full sunlight? I've done the test, find out the results here... Okay... So if any of you are considering getting an iPad or thinking of whether to take it to the pool, park or beach, be sure to check out my video. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jv1EYFQuZM
post #126 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Perhaps the ironic thing is that the .NET 4 Touch SDK is actually pretty decent, as is the C# language compared to Objective-C. Combine that with some rather nice database, connectivity, and kernel technology and there's really no technical reason why Microsoft SHOULDN'T be able to make a kick-ass touch device. What they appear to be utterly incompetent at is using technology to build an actual solution to consumer needs and integrating well into a consumer's life. They still seem driven by the feature checklist and battling their competitors rather than just building good stuff for people


I'm kind of in the same boat.

If you look at all the pieces in the "mobile device" jigsaw puzzle (consistent and compelling UI/UX, hardware, gaming, customer and enterprise cloud services, content delivery, mapping, development environment, enterprise workplace integration, desktop integration etc) Microsoft seem to be the company with the most pieces.

They are just missing one big piece in the middle... "hardware", which they have cut out a template for and said "this is how it should look".

Their big problem is that they don't seem to have anyone able to put the damn thing together, or rather they have a whole bunch of people trying to put it together all at once. The result is a phone puzzle that's almost ready and the Slate puzzle hasn't even been taken out of the box yet.

Apple and Google both have around half the puzzle, maybe more maybe less, and they have borrowed pieces from others to make something recognizable. The trouble for Microsoft is that they have both finished the parts of the puzzle they have, backed it, framed it and hung it on the wall.

I think the idea that a tech company can be all things to all users will soon be a thing of the past and that Microsoft should focus their mobile strategy on certain markets, specifically enterprise and tech savvy consumers/gamers. The idea that Microsoft will ever be able to create a a more compelling product than Apple for teenage girls and well-to-do soccer moms is all but lost. Strike that, it is lost.


Back to slates... I can't help but shake the feeling that Microsoft were (are?) waiting on Intel. I think they may have backed Intel to get a much faster and more energy efficient x86 CPU/GPU/chipset to market that would allow Microsoft to wrap a UI (hello MCE) around W7 Embedded and call it Windows Slate Edition.

This could very well still be their plan. You have probably noticed that native code isn't allowed in WP7 development which hints at a possible cross OS/architecture phone/slate strategy.

Or perhaps their recent deal with ARM is a sign that they no longer have confidence in Intel to deliver and are backing ARM and the WP7 OS for their phone and slate platform.

Regardless of whether they crash and burn or thrive there are certainly interesting times ahead!
post #127 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Ballmer is an idiot. I hope they lose their ass in the tablet PC market.

HP got it right by canceling their Windows-based slate. However, I doubt their WebOS slate will do very well.

Any OS can perform better than what Windows Offer. Windows problem is what Ballmer boast that it's there in every form factor and that's reason it sucks beyond eternity. It just tries to everything and it doesn't work that way.
post #128 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Kin is what you are thinking of, kin. No one said it'll be good, but it will be office, outlook and exchange that people are used to and they will flock to it like they always do. MS is losing the consumer battle, but they are still top dog when it comes to corporate productivity software and I have a feeling they can milk that for many years to come. Unless... someone moves us away from .doc(x), then Microsoft is totally fucked.

I really so hope someone moves us away from .doc, to PDF maybe?
I'm going to throw a party the day M$ dies.
post #129 of 187
The presence of Windows being everywhere was noticeable at the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.
A few of the Windows machines are projecting the BSOD instead of the desired images for the ceremony.
Link: http://sites.google.com/site/pedrogf...mpic-bsod-2008
post #130 of 187
The thing is, the only reason really left to run Windows is for corporate work. Wherein people are so enslaved to their jobs and Microsoft Office, there is no escape.

For everything else, there's Mastercar... Er, I mean, iOS, MacOS + Android.

Microsoft is standing on the beach watching the storm gather strength off in the distance, with the sky above getting quite dark.

They can rest on their corporate laurels, de facto operating system, and Microsoft Office, for several years more, but all the other castles are but made of sand.

The only reason Windows is still dominant is because no one else except Apple have made an attempt to compete. Even then, Apple doesn't really compete as such, unless it released OS X to run on any hardware.

In any case Windows and Office and server products all came to the forefront during Bill Gates' time. With Ballmer left in the driving seat, everything else has been stuttering and sputtering.

At any stage, if they wanted to, Google or Apple could pull the trigger and destroy Windows. By making an OS that integrates and runs on all hardware, ARM and x86, and developing compatible-enough versions of Office. Microshaft is lucky Google and Apple have their own strategies starting with the shift to mobility.

Some days, I wish Steve wasn't so zen and creation-driven, and if he just came out and said, "Let's f**ing destroy Microsoft. Let's do it. Endgame...I want to see them wiped off the map in 5 to 10 years' time!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm kind of in the same boat.

If you look at all the pieces in the "mobile device" jigsaw puzzle (consistent and compelling UI/UX, hardware, gaming, customer and enterprise cloud services, content delivery, mapping, development environment, enterprise workplace integration, desktop integration etc) Microsoft seem to be the company with the most pieces.

They are just missing one big piece in the middle... "hardware", which they have cut out a template for and said "this is how it should look".

Their big problem is that they don't seem to have anyone able to put the damn thing together, or rather they have a whole bunch of people trying to put it together all at once. The result is a phone puzzle that's almost ready and the Slate puzzle hasn't even been taken out of the box yet.

Apple and Google both have around half the puzzle, maybe more maybe less, and they have borrowed pieces from others to make something recognizable. The trouble for Microsoft is that they have both finished the parts of the puzzle they have, backed it, framed it and hung it on the wall.

I think the idea that a tech company can be all things to all users will soon be a thing of the past and that Microsoft should focus their mobile strategy on certain markets, specifically enterprise and tech savvy consumers/gamers. The idea that Microsoft will ever be able to create a a more compelling product than Apple for teenage girls and well-to-do soccer moms is all but lost. Strike that, it is lost.


Back to slates... I can't help but shake the feeling that Microsoft were (are?) waiting on Intel. I think they may have backed Intel to get a much faster and more energy efficient x86 CPU/GPU/chipset to market that would allow Microsoft to wrap a UI (hello MCE) around W7 Embedded and call it Windows Slate Edition.

This could very well still be their plan. You have probably noticed that native code isn't allowed in WP7 development which hints at a possible cross OS/architecture phone/slate strategy.

Or perhaps their recent deal with ARM is a sign that they no longer have confidence in Intel to deliver and are backing ARM and the WP7 OS for their phone and slate platform.

Regardless of whether they crash and burn or thrive there are certainly interesting times ahead!
post #131 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but Ballmer wants Windows 7 on a Tablet, not their mobile OS. Windows 7 means having tablets with basically the specs of (at minimum) a cheap underpowered netbook running an OS designed for desktops with a keyboard and two-button mouse. If you want a thin & light tablet with long battery life & superior usability, this isn't the magic formula. In fact, this is a recipe for the exact opposite. Remember Project Origami? Microsoft has already tried this. All it does is make users wish they had a more powerful laptop with a real keyboard. And ironically, since the price bottom fell out of the PC laptop market, it's probably a better value to buy a decent laptop instead of a crippled Windows 7 tablet.

This is Ballmer expecting a different result from the same strategy.

post #132 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Conversely... as the rather content owner/user of an Apple iPad 64/WiFi+3g, I can honestly say that it's really just an enlarged, overpriced iPod Touch lacking the convenience of being pocketable.

Conversely an iPod Touch is an undersized iPad? There are two sizes for different uses, you know like a table that seats eight (and they tend to cost more) is just an oversized table that seats four. That's how sizes work
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #133 of 187
I liked Steve Ballmers ipad review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRcTYgEx3mI
post #134 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At any stage, if they wanted to, Google or Apple could pull the trigger and destroy Windows. By making an OS that integrates and runs on all hardware, ARM and x86, and developing compatible-enough versions of Office. Microshaft is lucky Google and Apple have their own strategies starting with the shift to mobility.

I think you undervalue what Microsoft actually do in the enterprise environment. If all that was involved was chucking an Office clone on an OS then Linux would have wiped them out long ago.
post #135 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

5 years ago the obvious answer would be Apple, but today... I'm not so sure. If I was playing with money from someone else I'd probably try to ride the Apple wave and get off at the right time... if I were investing my own money between Apple and Microsoft... I'd probably choose the bank.

The phenomenal rise in Apple's stock price is tied to their ability to keep creating growth markets. The iPod and iPhone have both lost the momentum they had and the iPad will only carry them for another 1 or 2 years. After that they need to create another market similar to the iPod/iPhone/iPad in order to maintain the same stock growth.

They might be able to do it... but it would sure feel like a gamble.

I'm not offering investment advice here - merely pointing out the management incompetence now prevailing at Microsoft. Mr. Ballmer is having his Cpt. Ahab moments and that big white whale is going to sink his ship!
post #136 of 187
If Linux is too small to matter, why does Microsoft invest so much money in fighting it?
post #137 of 187
@ Balmer: No shit Sherlock.

Balmer is a true collosus of idiocy.
post #138 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Everything in this world is a 'compromise' of sorts, and when it comes to the iPad, the ability to have all of my ZINIO subscriptions (I've been using the service since I purchased my first tablet PC, the Hp/Compaq TC, in 2003) readily available at any given moment on a device this convenient, and with such outstanding battery autonomy, more than justifies its presence in my (admittedly diverse) electronics arsenal.

As for my selecting the 'the top of the line' version, it's always my policy to buy nothing but the absolute most well-equiped version available of any and everything I purchase, that way there's never any regret as to what I could have bought.

That's About It!

Thanks for the reply and explanation and I agree with buying the best your money can afford. Especially since whenever you buy technology it's going to be outdated in just a couple years if not sooner. My main worry and reason for waiting on the iPad is I think a lot of people who bought one this year are going to be plenty p.o.'d when they likely come out with a webcam version next spring. As you said everything is compromise. Good day.
post #139 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Ten minutes? Give me a break Ballmer. Why must he over exaggerate everything he says when he is talking about competition? Face the facts. We won in another category.

Why do you use the phrase "over exaggerate" when criticizing exaggeration?
post #140 of 187
I like to remind everyone that Steve Ballmer worked for Proctor & Gamble before Microsoft. He is just a soap salesman with no clue about technology. So, as others have pointed out, he makes a lot of random, unconnected, insulting and vague statements regarding their competition.

I will say that I respect his decision to hock everything he had to buy Microsoft stock early on, thereby becoming extremely wealthy. Thereby demonstrating that you don't have to have a clue about technology to become rich from it.
It is a fact that 63% of statistics are true 47% of the time. The rest are just made up on the spot.
Reply
It is a fact that 63% of statistics are true 47% of the time. The rest are just made up on the spot.
Reply
post #141 of 187
If Microsoft had any brains they would bring a Windows Phone 7 tablet. Windows 7 doesn't cut it for tablets.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #142 of 187
I don't care about Microsoft or what Microsoft does. Windows is a big blob and the fact it's running in toasters or toad stools is meaningless.
post #143 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The .NET 4.0 Touch API is part of Windows 7 (it's what I was referring to). It's actually a pretty nice API and would enable some pretty decent apps. But again, Microsoft is trying to solve problems with technology that aren't technological problems.

That's a start, now they need to rewrite Office, Outlook, and all the rest to "touch", include an app store to sell these apps at a reasonable cost, add multitouch so users can easily press Ctrl-Alt-Del when programs go south , solve the tendency of desktop apps like Firefox with Flash plugins to runaway with 100% of the CPU time, invent a backup & restore solution that's as easy as plugging your tablet into you computer, provide an easy way to buy & download movies that run well on the hardware (no guarantee when different tablets have different specs), get rid of the stupid drive letters so your tablet doesn't feel like a DOS machine from 1980, add a screen magnifier feature so you can easily touch the tiny icons crowded in the System Tray, etc.

I'm sure Ballmer will say, yeah, Windows 7 tablets support USB which is great because that's how you'll load apps onto your tablet: via external DVD ROM drives. And you'll be able to plug in your USB floppy or thumb drives so you can create emergency boot disks when a virus wipes out your boot sector. And BTW, those tablets had better support hardware keyboards because how else are you going to tell Windows 7 to boot into safe mode because those new video drivers prevented Windows from booting properly?

Yeah, Windows 7 on a tablet. Bring it!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #144 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Most likely just someone with a truly well-rounded perspective

You say you buy all these Apple products with your own money!

You come on AI and badmouth every Apple product -- sometimes feigning praise, but including a poorly-disguised dig.

So, one must assume that you dislike Apple and all their products... but you [claim to[ continue to buy them.

Only you would claim that this represents a "truly well-rounded perspective".

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #145 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

Quit attacking Ballmer!

He's done a excellent job for..............Apple! He should stay.

A most excellent observation !!!!

My problem with it is that each time he puts his mouth in gear, it becomes apparent the brain has not been started. It is just hard to take time after time. I would imagine after a time he shall become attracted to politics. God Help us. Perhaps he should remain where he is at least he is harmless there.
post #146 of 187
.


Here's an interesting take on Apple from a microsoft press:





And another from Apple-- almost 32 years (to the day) earlier!




.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #147 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

... The iPod and iPhone have both lost the momentum they had and the iPad will only carry them for another 1 or 2 years. ...

I don't see any evidence of that, each new model sells better than the previous, and, if anything, it would seem that iOS device momentum is increasing.
post #148 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I really so hope someone moves us away from .doc, to PDF maybe?
I'm going to throw a party the day M$ dies.

PDF is the wrong kind of format. It's a format intended for document distribution, not editing. It can be done, but editing a PDF is mashing a square peg in a round hole.

.odt is an open file format for text, though the problem is that it is from OpenOffice, and the OpenOffice software is not very good. One example: I've had their spreadsheet program crash or stall for a minute when I cut and pasted three cells to an adjacent column. I get this stalling or crashes more often than 10% of my pastes.
post #149 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You say you buy all these Apple products with your own money!

You come on AI and badmouth every Apple product -- sometimes feigning praise it, but including a poorly-disguised dig.

So, one must assume that you dislike Apple and all their products... but you [claim to[ continue to buy them.

Only you would claim that this represents a "truly well-rounded perspective".

I feel strongly that there's no better perspective than that of one who actual owns/uses a device at length - everything else is just lip service... It's That Simple.

You're so bent on the idea that all I do is go around making 'poorly-disguised' digs at Apple, but the fact is, this is hardly the only forum that I frequent, and I praise when earned and criticize when required, with everything that I own.

As for your 'dig' as to whether all of the items listed/pictured are actually mine, that appears to be more an issue with you possibly being 'envious' than anything related to my ability to acquire said items.

"So, one must assume that you dislike Apple and all their products"...

Well, you know what they say about assuming... Just Saying
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #150 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Imagine if Ballmer/Microsoft went incommunicado and emerged 6 months later with a kickass product.

Imagine if they didn't comment on unannounced products.

Imagine if they didn't cozy up with partners on stage to show products they might or might not make within 83 years.

Imagine if they simply released stuff when it was done and ready to go, and then let the product speak for itself.

(flick your lighters on)

Imagine all the people...

sleepity darling do not cry and i will sing you a ....
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #151 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The iPad is pretty awesome. Allow me just one cross-posting here, that's all, I promise:

iPad shuts down in full sunlight? I've done the test, find out the results here... Okay... So if any of you are considering getting an iPad or thinking of whether to take it to the pool, park or beach, be sure to check out my video. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jv1EYFQuZM

Nice vid!

Where are the girls in bikinis-- this was a SI swim shoot, wasn't it.

Interesting... the iPad appears to withstand more severe sustained heat/direct unlighted conditions than the human body!

So, I guess the conclusion is that the iPad at the beach is OK for humanoid-- beach robots, not so much.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #152 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I feel strongly that there's no better perspective than that of one who actual owns/uses a device at length - everything else is just lip service... It's That Simple.

You're so bent on the idea that all I do is go around making 'poorly-disguised' digs at Apple, but the fact is, this is hardly the only forum that I frequent, and I praise when earned and criticize when required, with everything that I own.

The concern here is that you do seem to be focusing on the negative parts to the point of suspicion, when you're being that negative, it's legitimate to be curious why you own these products if they seem to have such serious-sounding flaws from how you write your comments.

Your little bit about iPad being just a large Touch is a commonly used invective usually from people that have had very little experience with the device. Even the built-in apps are considerably different because you have nine times the area to work with in making a UI. I try not to use apps made for the smaller devices on the iPad because it's a very poor fit, with blocky nearest-neighbor scaling and oversized controls, or excess unused space.
post #153 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post


Awesome!

I recall many years ago reading about the internal discussions regarding the creation of a game console. One camp (Robbie Bach, J Allard) wanted Microsoft to create hardware and services, and another camp (Steve Ballmer) wanted to license Windows for Game Consoles to companies like Dell as their strategy for taking market share from Sony. Had they done that, they would have failed miserably, and the Xbox wouldn't be the platform we know today (whether you like it or not). Had Ballmer won that argument, Microsoft would be at the whims of their hardware partners. If Dell lost money on their half-hearted attempt to enter the game console business, they would have dumped it in favor of netbooks or PDAs or whatever was trending at the time. Windows 7 on a Tablet sounds like a repeat of Ballmer's single solution.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #154 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The concern here is that you do seem to be focusing on the negative parts to the point of suspicion, when you're being that negative, it's legitimate to be curious why you own these products if they seem to have such serious-sounding flaws from how you write your comments.

Your little bit about iPad being just a large Touch is a commonly used invective usually from people that have had very little experience with the device. Even the built-in apps are considerably different because you have nine times the area to work with in making a UI. I try not to use apps made for the smaller devices on the iPad because it's a very poor fit, with blocky nearest-neighbor scaling and oversized controls, or excess unused space.

For me, the much larger issue here is that admiration for these inanimate objets has morphed into an environment wherein people actually 'covet' these 'things', allowing this 'object-lust' to drive them into displaying blatant disrespect and hostility towards those with differing opinions.

I, with a full understanding of human behavior, still find it terribly disturbing how even when someone, such as myself, produces clear/indisputable (photographic) evidence that they are not simply some 'Apple Hating Troll', upset because they can't afford Apple's 'elitist' wares, but actually own almost all of said companies 'premium' products, still isn't allowed to post in peace, especially given that I (personally) simply state my view and move on, never lashing-out, attacking, or blatantly disrespecting the views expressed by my fellow forum members (even after much provocation).

Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #155 of 187
In the end what will the consumer be doing with a full featured tablet anyway?
No a darn thing!
99% of the folks you see on a laptop are playing games, surfing the net and watching videos from some site. That's it.
All MS is worried about is market perception. Ballmer wants everyone to think MS so it keeps MS current in the minds of the techies and in the tech blogs.
post #156 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Oh Really... ?

Then I Guess the Absolute Truth Is Tiresome Then, as here's a pic (taken only minutes ago) of my iMac 27/i7, MacBook Pro 13, iPad 64/WiFi+3g, Apple iPhone 3GS (work phone), iPod Nano/16gb, iPod Touch/64gb... etc.

Understand, I own many more 'Apple' products, but this should be more than enough to make clear just how silly it is to make sweeping assumptions about matters of which you know absolutely nothing.



Enjoy... as I sure do enjoy my iPad - ;-)

You posted this again in this thread, come on, anyone can get a picture like this and put their name to it. Pathetic!!!
post #157 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

In the end what will the consumer be doing with a full featured tablet anyway?
No a darn thing!
99% of the folks you see on a laptop are playing games, surfing the net and watching videos from some site. That's it.
All MS is worried about is market perception. Ballmer wants everyone to think MS so it keeps MS current in the minds of the techies and in the tech blogs.

"playing games, surfing the net and watching videos from some site"... all activities/tasks for which tablet/slate devices (including my iPad) are ideally suited.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #158 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I feel strongly that there's no better perspective than that of one who actual owns/uses a device at length - everything else is just lip service... It's That Simple.

You're so bent on the idea that all I do is go around making 'poorly-disguised' digs at Apple, but the fact is, this is hardly the only forum that I frequent, and I praise when earned and criticize when required, with everything that I own.

As for your 'dig' as to whether all of the items listed/pictured are actually mine, that appears to be more an issue with you possibly being 'envious' than anything related to my ability to acquire said items.

"So, one must assume that you dislike Apple and all their products"...

Well, you know what they say about assuming... Just Saying

This guy is full of himself, it is really funny
post #159 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Enjoy... as I sure do enjoy my iPad - ;-)

You have to wonder how you could enjoy your iPad so much when you've never had anything positive to say.

I guess you're simply too invested in your hate of Apple products to accept the fact that they make good products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The iPad is pretty awesome. Allow me just one cross-posting here, that's all, I promise:

iPad shuts down in full sunlight? I've done the test, find out the results here... Okay... So if any of you are considering getting an iPad or thinking of whether to take it to the pool, park or beach, be sure to check out my video. Cheers.]

Electronic device stops working if it gets too hot. News at 11.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #160 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You posted this again in this thread, come on, anyone can get a picture like this and put their name to it. Pathetic!!!

ROTFLMAO!... Given the content/context of the post in which the pic(s) appeared, its appearance was quite applicable, as was the one displaying my iPad along with my Archos 5IT, iPod Touch, and Lenovo S10-3t.

Incidentally, I guess anyone can simply grab any random photo(s) off the internet prominently displaying www.appleinsider.com on the exact same thread/page/comment in which the first photo appeared.

Seriously Now... Be A 'Hater' All You Want, but At Least Attempt To Be Logical/Reasonable About It - Pathetic Indeed!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft's Steve Ballmer: 'Apple sold more iPads than I'd like them to sell'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's Steve Ballmer: 'Apple sold more iPads than I'd like them to sell'