or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Unboxing: Apple's mid-2010 iMac has changes on the inside

Unboxing: Apple's mid-2010 iMac has changes on the inside

post #1 of 37
Apple's latest batch of iMacs bring faster processor, memory, and graphics performance and an improved SD Card slot, while retaining the same external design of previous models.

Inside, the new iMacs include faster processors, ranging from 3.06, 3.2 or 3.6GHz Core i3 options on the 21.5 inch model (each with 4MB of L3 cache), or a 3.2GHz Core i3 or 2.6GHz Core i5 (both with 4MB of L3 cache) or Quad Core 2.8GHz i5, or Quad Core 2.93GHz Core i7 (both with 8MB of L3 cache) on the 27 inch model.

All new iMacs also use faster 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, with four slots officially supporting 16GB. For disk storage, the 21.5 inch models offer:
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (low end model)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (higher end model)
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA ($150 more than higher end model)
While 27 inch models offer choice of:
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (standard)
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA ($150 more)
256GB solid-state drive ($600 more)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA and 256GB solid-state drive< ($750 more)
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA and 256GB solid-state drive ($900 more)
For graphics, the lower end 21.5 inch iMac uses an ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.
The higher end 21.5 inch iMac uses ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory.
The dual core 27 inch iMac uses an ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory.
The quad core 27 inch iMac uses an ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.

In the box

The new iMac ships with a power cable, Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse, an Apple logo monogrammed screen wipe, and the usual stickers, user guide and regulatory information. DVDs provide Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife apps: iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb.

The keyboard box seems designed with the Magic Trackpad in mind, which fits perfectly into the booklet section. However, there's not an option to choose the new trackpad instead of the bundled mouse; it's only available as a separate, additional purchase.

The new iMac is protected by what appears to be a more tightly wrapped screen cover, held in place with sticky but residue free adhesive. The rest of the case and external features appear to be identical to the previous generation.

On the right edge of the highly reflective screen there's the same SD Card slot, but like the latest Mac mini it now accepts new SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) cards 32 GB and larger. SDXC theoretically supports cards up to 2TB, but Apple does not specify a supported ceiling for the new slot. Previous models only supported the Standard SD format of 4 MB to 4 GB and SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards from 4GB to 32 GB.

Appleinsider's formal review of the new iMacs will follow.

Where to buy

post #2 of 37
Nice To Know... I guess if it works - Why Change?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 37
the sticky plaster

Seriously, get a life.
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

the sticky plaster[sic]

Seriously, get a life.

Perhaps you don't recall but the initial shipments of these new glass-to-edge iMacs had a packaging issue that resulted in a seemingly high rate of cracked or broken glass in the bottom corner of one side and/or sometimes a slightly shifted glass panel (which is only held in place via magnets), so it makes perfect sense that a reviewer would compare the second model's packaging of this form factor to the first even though I'm sure the packaging changed last year to resolve this issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 37
+3 to solipsism's signature....
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps you don't recall but the initial shipments of these new glass-to-edge iMacs had a packaging issue that resulted in a seemingly high rate of cracked

Ordered early. Arrived in perfect condition.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyShawn View Post

+3 to solipsism's signature....

it were expressed as a mathematical statement.
post #8 of 37
One issue I would be interested in, is how bootcamp works with the SSD+HD combo. Do I have to use precious SSD space on Windows, or can it be put on the larger media drive?
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy01 View Post

One issue I would be interested in, is how bootcamp works with the SSD+HD combo. Do I have to use precious SSD space on Windows, or can it be put on the larger media drive?

Im pretty sure they planned for this contingency from the start. Remember, the Mac Pro can have 4 internal drives.

Here is what comes up on MBP when I start Bootcamp Assistance

post #10 of 37
Did the last 27" model support a secondary internal drive? If so, I completely missed this.
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

Did the last 27" model support a secondary internal drive? If so, I completely missed this.

No, its new.
post #12 of 37
Quote:

No, its new.

I thought so. I would have expected this article to draw some specific attention to such a significant new feature.
post #13 of 37
I'm a photographer and I really like my 27" glossy screen (as do my clients).
post #14 of 37
I ordered a few iMacs (3*21.5", 1*27") in sequence since June, which I sequencely exchanged due to very bad yellow tint and kept the 27". They all had that thick adhesive plastic, covering the screen and sides, up to the back, so it's not a new feature.

I hope those new screens don't have the yellow tinge issue anymore, but as it looks like a light hardware refresh they're probably the same LG panels. And now the 24" Cinema Display which was 16:10 and tinge-free now very probably features the same tinge-vulnerable panel as the 27".

Luckily for me the initial light yellow tint gradually wore off on my 27" (which was the opposite on the 21.5")
post #15 of 37
Hmmm... if it's exactly the same on the outside why have an unboxing article? Wouldn't you cancel it once you noticed it was same? But the trackpad fit in the keyboard box was a nice discovery.
post #16 of 37
Did they drop the Kensington security slot? It was eliminated on the new mini, and I don't see any reference to it here or on the iMac tech specs page on Apple.com.
post #17 of 37
I'm going to order the 27" quad core i5 iMac with a 1TB HD but WITHOUT the optional SSD drive.

I figure since there is room for one, I can always add an SSD later down the road when they come down in price.

I know some sites are reporting that although there is an empty space for one, that Apple doesn't make it easy by not including the brackets or wires necessary to install it....HOWEVER...I am sure that eventually Apple will announce that their stores will do the install for a price. But right now they want people to order the expensive add on only when you first purchase one online as a BTO.

Or at least I hope this is the case. I just can't spring for this option right now, yet can't wait for the prices of the SSDs to come down either.

One day tho, I'd like to be able to swing by my local Apple store and drop off my 27" at the genius bar for one to be added. :-)
post #18 of 37

They should throw that Mighty (Apple) Mouse away. And offer three options.

1. Magic Mouse

2. Magic Trackpad

3. Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad [Add $69.00]

End of story. The current choice is idiotic.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

1. Magic Mouse

2. Magic Trackpad

It's not stupid at all....why do YOU think it's stupid?
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

the sticky plaster

Seriously, get a life.

It's all in the detail I just sold a Mac Pro system and 30" monitor on eBay and when packing it all up in the original boxes I was truly impressed with the quality of all the shipping packing making it snug and safe to travel. No nasty little plastic corners, rather a fully enveloping protective system right down to all the cables and extras. None of which I really noticed in the excitement when it all arrived lol. Apple quality is end to end no question.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

1. Magic Mouse

2. Magic Trackpad

Why? Wired Might mouse still has side buttons for expose which I use regularly. It also does not require batteries to run.

I never could understand consumers complaining about choice. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Why does it bother you that it's there and that there is choice for those who do want it?

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Agreed. It's painful to see such a beautiful machine and to know one can't buy it because they just plain and simply cannot handle glare, I am in this category. But let's keep the pressure up, who knows they might finally get some decent anti glare glass, better anti glare glass that is, in the future, I mean the CRT monitors and filters managed to way back when, why can't apple? I would wager it's the cost.

I still can't believe no one in the globe hasn't exoerimented with some museum glass mod for the iMac. Maybe because the c2d whit iMacs are still available and pretty good in terms of specs. I for once will surely -when I buy a new iMac- will take the glass out and take it to my local glass and picture frame store and ask them to replicate it with some better a/r glass and then stick it on the Mac to see how it works out, just for the hell of it really.

Well the iMac glass screen is held on by magnets (pretty easy to lift off), so it's possible for an after market solution. I would stop petitioning Apple and start petitioning a glass fabricator.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/03/04...on-by-magnets/
post #23 of 37
"Inside, the new iMacs include faster processors, ranging from 3.06, 3.2 or 3.6GHz Core i3 options on the 21.5 inch model (each with 4MB of L3 cache), or a 3.2GHz Core i3 or 2.6GHz Core i5 (both with 4MB of L3 cache) or Quad Core 2.8GHz i5, or Quad Core 2.93GHz Core i7 (both with 8MB of L3 cache) on the 27 inch model."

According to my ordered 21.5" model, the 3.6GHz is a Core i5, not i3 as stated in the article. I'll update if it isn't when it arrives, but my invoice definitely says Core i5.
post #24 of 37
What a beautiful machine!
post #25 of 37
Amazing isn't it? Everything that the Apple store says you will get is in the box! How do they do it?
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Amazing isn't it? Everything that the Apple store says you will get is in the box! How do they do it?

Magic?
post #27 of 37
A very strong Reality Distortion Field?
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Why? Wired Might mouse still has side buttons for expose which I use regularly. It also does not require batteries to run.

I never could understand consumers complaining about choice. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Why does it bother you that it's there and that there is choice for those who do want it?

My problem with it is that I already have a Magic Mouse (which I love) but don't want to buy another one just to get a Magic Trackpad (which I would like to get) when I buy my next iMac.

I suppose I'll just spend the extra money and then sell the packaged Magic Mouse.
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is a site specifically set up to complain about the glass issue - why would you expect it to be representative of the population as a whole?

Apple has shown an incredible ability to offer the market what it wants for the past 5 years or more. If there is sufficient demand, they'll offer a non-glare option. The fact that they don't suggests that the number of people wanting it is tiny.

I'm willing to bet it is a larger percentage of people than the percentage of people having antenna problems. While the antenna problem sparked Steve Jobs to state that Apple wants all of its customers to be happy, the glossy/matte issue has been going on for years with no recompense.
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

Quote:

No, its new.

The specs infer a SATA drive and the option of a second solid state drive. Could I infer from this information that a second SATA drive could be installed (in lieu of a SSD)?

In other words... are there two identical HD bays?

I'm thinking built-in TM.
A is A
A is A
post #31 of 37
Quick correction to one of the specs in the article: As far as the 21.5" models go, there is no Core i3 with 3.6GHz. That's in fact a dual-core i5 running at 3.6GHz, which also has 4MB of L3 cache, but features Intel's Turbo Boost technology, which the Core i3's do not. The Core i3-550 running at 3.2GHz is the fastest Core i3 available.

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

Did they drop the Kensington security slot? It was eliminated on the new mini, and I don't see any reference to it here or on the iMac tech specs page on Apple.com.

Yes, the Kensington lock slot is there. Under Store, iMac, choose Gallery, the back picture shows it... Not sure if it works but I'll try embedding the image here.

Yeah the lock slot was eliminated from the Mini. Meaning Apple doesn't want you to use the Mini in schools and so on...
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The specs infer a SATA drive and the option of a second solid state drive. Could I infer from this information that a second SATA drive could be installed (in lieu of a SSD)?

In other words... are there two identical HD bays?

I'm thinking built-in TM.

The second bay is for a 2.5" drive, which is what the SSDs are. It could hold a laptop hard drive, but not one "identical" to the other drive. The SSD bay also lacks mounting rails and cables if you don't get the SSD from Apple.
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The second bay is for a 2.5" drive, which is what the SSDs are. It could hold a laptop hard drive, but not one "identical" to the other drive. The SSD bay also lacks mounting rails and cables if you don't get the SSD from Apple.

Hopefully someone is working on an aftermarket kit to sell online.
Quote:
The good news is that the SSD bay available in the new iMacs holds a standard 2.5" form factor drive, which means you can install a high-performance OWC Mercury Extreme SSD for the speed advantage over Apple's SSDs.

The bad news is that, unless your Mid 2010 iMac originally came with an Apple SSD, there's no graceful way to install an OWC one. The appropriate mounting bracket and connector cables are nowhere to be found on the non-SSD models.

One thing I can’t find is the maximum drive thickness allowed. Meaning, the SSD used is 9.5mm which is the standard drive thickness Apple uses for all notebooks with 2.5” drives, but they will take a 12.5mm drive just fine.
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah the lock slot was eliminated from the Mini. Meaning Apple doesn't want you to use the Mini in schools and so on...

That was very surprising.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Not true.

Just a quicky. I have had 8 Apple laptops in the past 10 years. The only one that I can really use on my boat is the MacBook Pro LED backlit Glossy. The matte screens are a complete blank. But then my grade 10 science class would have taught me that. Over 30 years in the ad business tells me your other point with graphic artists and photographers are perceptions only.

Take a moment and peruse Apples client site. Great examples of creative and scientific use of the very screens that don't work. If you could only see some of their studios.

You can, if you can't arrange you equipment out of the spotlight, apply a matte overlay. 3M and the likes have great products. However, you can't take a matte screen and render it glossy to really see the deep vivid colors and contrast of your artwork.

That's a complete misconception regarding a "vivid" color palette. They're srgb panels (not that this is a bad thing) no matter what coating you apply to them. The gloss makes it appear artificially more vivid at first glance but does nothing for perceptual accuracy relative to say a printed reference. It doesn't give you a deeper black point, wider color gamut, better contrast ratio, or more accurate reference. This is just bad information. The 3M and other solutions do affect color perception so they aren't an ideal solution. The improved outdoor viewing is nice though.
post #37 of 37
Hmm...I have mainly used 1.8" SSD's. They're super duper tiny and almost fit into the DVD slot. I wonder if there is a way to maybe get those to work more easily than 2.5" drives...? \

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Unboxing: Apple's mid-2010 iMac has changes on the inside