or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp considers news organization devoted to iPad, other tablets

News Corp considers news organization devoted to iPad, other tablets

post #1 of 44
The popularity of Apple's iPad has prompted media giant News Corp. to consider starting a news organization that would provide content specifically for a new subscription service for tablet devices.

The Financial Times reported Friday that the company has not yet made a decision on the matter, but is expected to make a move this autumn. Officials with the company see such a venture as an opportunity to help News Corp. transition into the digital era for news.

If created, the news organization would have its own staff and be its own, entirely new entity.

"The ambitious undertaking under consideration would be another test of consumers' appetite to pay for news," the report said. "The momentum behind developing a tablet-centric product is driven by a belief that readers are willing to pay for portability. News Corp's early progress in selling subscriptions on the iPad has inspired the company to consider the new business."

In May, News Corp Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch revealed that his publication The Wall Street Journal had already gained more than 64,000 active iPad users. Then in June, he praised the device and the potential for it at the annual D: All Things Digital Conference.

In addition, this week the Journal began soliciting iPad users in the New York City metropolitan area, asking them to participate in group sessions in August to help improve their application available on the App Store.

"We are very interested in hearing about your experiences with the iPad, the Wall Street Journal app, and other news apps," Alan Murray, the paper's online executive editor said in an e-mail sent out on Wednesday and obtained by AppleInsider. Users selected for the study will receive $200 for their participation.

The Times said the efforts by News Corp. are viewed internally as "an honest attempt" at transforming journalism.

"If News Corp gives the green light to the tablet-centric news organisation plans, it will hire a new staff while borrowing fro the resources, but not the content, of its news assets, which include the New York Post and Down Jones," author Kenneth Li wrote. "The product would include coverage of news, entertainment, sports and politics."
post #2 of 44
Now the they just have to convince Apple to allow subscription services.
post #3 of 44
I don't trust Rupert to deliver objective information after what he's done with FOX.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Times said the efforts by News Corp. are viewed internally as "an honest attempt" at transforming journalism.

Of course they would - but can they sell that to the public. Gonna be difficult I think.
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

You should read Gruber's take on this.

Its quite clear Apple allows subscriptions (there are several apps doing subscription), but SI was doing something with linking the iTunes accounts, that Apple wasn't happy about.

Unfortunately, its more muddied waters. Apple has full bases, and 0 outs. They need to fix their App Store policies and will get the walk-off grandslam.

Unfortunately, they keep seeming to ignore the huge, and growing problem the App Store is.

(I know a lot will say that its successful, but I would argue the App Store is successful despite itself. Mainly because the rest of the Apple eco-system is so strong (i.e. Hardware and ease of use).
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Its quite clear Apple allows subscriptions (there are several apps doing subscription), but SI was doing something with linking the iTunes accounts, that Apple wasn't happy about.

Unfortunately, its more muddied waters. Apple has full bases, and 0 outs. They need to fix their App Store policies and will get the walk-off grandslam.

Unfortunately, they keep seeming to ignore the huge, and growing problem the App Store is.

(I know a lot will say that its successful, but I would argue the App Store is successful despite itself. Mainly because the rest of the Apple eco-system is so strong (i.e. Hardware and ease of use).

I think, the APP store was extremely good to begin with, but now it has become quite a mess. Particularly because of the huge amount of apps. Maybe subcategorizing would be helpful and in adition a more advanced search function.
As for portable newsmagazines, I certainly would be willing to pay for subscribtion. Only jurnalism which is financially payed by the actual readers is forced to do decent jurnalism.
I they suck, the readers stop subscribing. It' as simple as that. All freely available newspapers I know are really catastrophic.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I don't trust Rupert to deliver objective information after what he's done with FOX.

But I guess you would trust CNBC and Keith Olbermann huh?
post #8 of 44
Why do you need a separate division for iPad and how would iPad "transform journalism". All you really need is to have engineers and editors that are familiar with technology to transition journalism over to a new medium. Journalism is independent of technology really, you can have good/bad reporting on any medium.

Creating iFox news for iPad does not change the fact it's fox news, same goes for NBC.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #9 of 44
Propaganda Corp would not be my first choice for 'news.'
post #10 of 44
Murdoch has been about the gutter press since long before he bought his way into US citizenship and control of so much of the media in the US. The Sun has been a top-selling newspaper in the UK for decades (www.thesun.co.uk). It's like the New York Post except it has topless or nude women on page 3. Will this end up on the iPad?
post #11 of 44
The thing is most people bash other people and organizations because they're told to. Not because they come to that decision on their own accord. Ask anyone who bashes anything in the news and see if they've read or watched something objectively in its entirety and can dispute it with sound reason or if they're just going off selected clips put in the context that their news source of choice wants their viewers to ingest and disseminate.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Agreed. Why pay for brainwashing when you can get it for free?

I would be much more interested in seeing something from Bloomberg on the iPad that is aimed at a broader audience than just their terminal subscribers. I find Bloomberg news to be one of the least rabidly biased news outlets out there. If nothing else, they've got Michael Lewis who is 100% awesome.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

WSJ already has a subscription option for the iPad.
post #14 of 44
Suggestion:

Stick with ZINIO for iPad... full one-year subscriptions of almost every major publication for US 5.00 to 40.00, and absolutely none of this silly drama.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Why do you need a separate division for iPad and how would iPad "transform journalism". All you really need is to have engineers and editors that are familiar with technology to transition journalism over to a new medium. Journalism is independent of technology really, you can have good/bad reporting on any medium.

Creating iFox news for iPad does not change the fact it's fox news, same goes for NBC.

Brand may be the point of the exercise. Considering the fact that the demographics of iPad users skew younger and more politically moderate than either Fox News or the Wall Street Journal, News Corp. may be looking to establish a stand-alone brand.

This sounds a lot like Slate.com or The Daily Beast but geared more toward tablet displays.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I think, the APP store was extremely good to begin with, but now it has become quite a mess. Particularly because of the huge amount of apps.

This is an opinion that I've heard here before .... and IMHO it was stupid then and is still stupid. 225,000 apps is too much to search through ?????

Do you ever do a google, bing, yahoo or any other kind of a search on the web that has untold millions of web sites to choose from?

Stop being so lazy and put the same kind of effort into an app search that is usually required to put into a web search ... the lack of effort on your part does not constitute a responsibility on anyone else's . Rant over!.....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Where in his comment did he say anything like that?

I'm about sick to death of people using this sort of imbecilic argument in defense of Faux News.

Fox News isn't news, it's propaganda. MSNBC has their own bias, but definitely not to the same degree as Fox, and pointing to that bias as a method to defend Fox is not very intelligent at all.

They should just called themselves "America's conservative news network."
post #18 of 44
It would be a good move on News Corp's part to move on this endeavor asap. In 5-10 years when the iPad is in million of more households there's only going to be so many companies on top of the list of best iPad news/magazine providers.

That said, Fox News is a joke.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #19 of 44
Quote:

Don'y worry they don't actually have a 'news' division! They write it all themselves.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Where in his comment did he say anything like that?

I'm about sick to death of people using this sort of imbecilic argument in defense of Faux News.

Fox News isn't news, it's propaganda. MSNBC has their own bias, but definitely not to the same degree as Fox, and pointing to that bias as a method to defend Fox is not very intelligent at all.

They should just called themselves "America's conservative news network."

Hey don't insult conservatives, many of them do have brains! Call it "America's far right wingnut view point network"
post #21 of 44
Quote:

NBC? Do you trust NBC? With the likes of Matt Lauer of the Today Show, or Ed Schultz, Keith Olbermann et al of MSNBC, NBC News like Chuck Todd or Brian Williams... NBC = Nose Brown Company because everywhere you look their news personalities have their head so far up Obama's Ass!

Yeah, FOX Blows... that is blows the competition out of the water when it comes to a numbers game regarding ratings! From the Orlando Sentinel...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #22 of 44
Quote:

Based on what?

I'm curious how people think that they can make simple, unsupported comments like that and think that they will be taken seriously.

Apple has shown that the App Store works. Developers are making lots of money. Customers are happy (for the most part). The only problem is a bit of whining from lazy developers who don't care to meet Apple's rules.

And as more problem with the Android app store appear (only a few million sets of private information sent to China, after all), Apple's decisions look better over time, not worse.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

NBC? Do you trust NBC? With the likes of Matt Lauer of the Today Show, or Ed Schultz, Keith Olbermann et al of MSNBC, NBC News like Chuck Todd or Brian Williams... NBC = Nose Brown Company because everywhere you look their news personalities have their head so far up Obama's Ass!

Yeah, FOX Blows... that is blows the competition out of the water when it comes to a numbers game regarding ratings! From the Orlando Sentinel...

Look everyone, yet another person to bring up msnbc as a means to defend Fox News.

BTW, don't try to sell us on the validity of Fox News based on their numbers. That's such an idiotic argument. Fox News' propagandist bullshit is as clear as day. It's really sad how many people believe their nonsense.

Also, calling the other news networks liberal is stupid as well (just sayin, because that's usually where this conversation goes.) Compared to Fox News, all news networks ARE liberal, but that's just because Fox is so far right.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey don't insult conservatives, many of them do have brains! Call it "America's far right wingnut view point network"

Point taken. I'm a Ron Paul supporter myself, but I guess that makes me more of a libertarian than a conservative. I always thought being conservative meant being against war, and occupation of countries we have no business being in. The money we could save if we changed to isolationism could eliminate social security (pay everyone back what they put in, then just end it) and get us out of this massive deficit, not to mention create jobs if we put it back into our own system somehow.

I'm getting a little off topic lol
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Just what I was thinking. Seems like a duplication of resources to have a separate unit gathering the same news for a different format. In fact the format's only significantly different if you compare it to print -- compared to a desktop web browser it's a nice upgrade but pretty much the same.
post #26 of 44
Quote:

Well obviously you were not paying attention this week. Almost every media outlet was calling them 'racist' over the Sherrod case... when they were the only chain that wasn't being racist in reporting the story. I don't watch TV news, but seems a little fishy that all the supposed "fair" media is constantly printing quiet retractions, burying stories after their initial slant proves false, and now public on-air apologies to the "hated, biased" Fox?

A lot of trolls make judgements on bias, and vilify something their too lazy to learn about... That would be you AppleZilla. Shouldn't you be a PC guy? We Mac users are supposed to be better than that.

As for Fox and paid iPad/iPhone apps the more the better. You don't have to buy what you don't like, but only a fool would discourage an attempt by a large media company to offer products for us. I'm not sure how the model exactly works but one of the largest (if not the) media content revenue generators for iTunes is Rush Limbaugh. And having the Wall Street Journal create dedicated, serious iPad content would be a very good thing for the Apple platform.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

It would be a good move on News Corp's part to move on this endeavor asap. In 5-10 years when the iPad is in million of more households there's only going to be so many companies on top of the list of best iPad news/magazine providers.

That said, Fox News is a joke.

Totally agreed... up until the end, when you lost me with the obligatory party Democrat "Heil Hitler" at the end. Must say a prayer to protect from the devil, I guess? All seems rather lemming-like, medeival peasant minded... mustn't upset the devil... only unquestioning faith in the 'good of the church' can protect you. However your initial point is very valid and logical for this reality we share, just the jackboots... they make the people not in your club a little uneasy, and the scuff up the floor something horrible.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No but I would trust the BBC, and Australia's ABC among others. Who needs news Corp
post #29 of 44
Rupert Murdoch's number one goal is making money. Political influence comes a close second but it's second. Accept it as fact. If you don't, read his history and then come back to the discussion. Of course, political influence (#2) is very often a facilitator to making money (#1) so it can be hard to separate them.

As an example, "The Times", the venerable English newspaper, has recently set up a paywall for online users. In a month or so the traffic decreased 85% but they say this is good because they get better quality readers. Well, maybe.

"The Times" is the quintessential Conservative newspaper in Britain. The "Daily Telegraph" is a close second. And Britain has just elected a Conservative government, headed by the new Prime Minister David Cameron. But when he visits the U.S. there are "complaints" that he visits more with Democrats than with Republicans.

Truth is that a British Conservative government, dealing with wars and bad budgets and fiscal crises as bad as those in the U.S. (smaller in absolute numbers, larger in relative terms) does in fact have more in common with the Democrats, even though he's raising taxes and cutting spending. The position of the U.S. Republicans is very, very far to the right of any government in Europe. The Tea Party folks will have none of this, of course, but the facts are plain. Subscribe to Rupert's "Times" paywall and read for yourselves - it's the most right-wing of the main-line press. Or read the still-free Telegraph for a similar-but-not-identical view. Beyond that you're into the territory of fringe groups of some kind or another. Note: readers of a certain age might notice the parallels between present British Conservatives and "Eisenhower Republicans". They would be quite correct.

That leaves the current U.S. GOP way out on the Right. That is sad, and also true. The only political parties in Europe with positions similar to the GOP are the right-wing fringes. There are NO main-stream parties in Europe, either in government or opposition, that have the general agenda of the GOP.

I'd like to have an Eisenhower Republican party that I could vote for. Please, can we have that?

flame - > /dev/null
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Totally agreed... up until the end, when you lost me with the obligatory party Democrat "Heil Hitler" at the end. Must say a prayer to protect from the devil, I guess? All seems rather lemming-like, medeival peasant minded.

So we must be lemmings, Nazis or medieval peasants to think or say that Fox News is a joke? Does that make you feel better about what you watch?

Great comment above comparing European politics to American politics. Some people in the US - especially the "global warming is an Al Gore-inspired hoax" and "national healthcare sucks" crowd - somehow believe that their views are shared by other (ultra) right wingers around the developed world. It ain't so, Joe.
post #31 of 44
Good old Rupert, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #32 of 44
Newspapers, TV and radio have traditionally been entirely separate companies so in a sense the web was the exception in that it was often just a division of existing companies. What he is proposing with the iPad is a more serious approach.

As for the App Store being in trouble I would have to disagree - it is a resounding success. But what it needs is some fundamental GUI insight about how to display and navigate very large data sets. That could send it in to the stratosphere.
post #33 of 44
Quote:

Look everyone, yet another person to bring up msnbc as a means to defend Fox News.

BTW, don't try to sell us on the validity of Fox News based on their numbers. That's such an idiotic argument. Fox News' propagandist bullshit is as clear as day. It's really sad how many people believe their nonsense.

Also, calling the other news networks liberal is stupid as well (just sayin, because that's usually where this conversation goes.) Compared to Fox News, all news networks ARE liberal, but that's just because Fox is so far right.

FOX News
WSJ (editorial div.)

Vs.

NBC
CBS
ABC
PBS
CNN
CNBC
MSNBC (sorry to throw this in)
NPR
New York Times
Washington Post
plus hundreds of other outlets.

A reasonable person could just easily say, the other networks are so liberal it makes FOX look conservative. At the end of the day I know a slant when I see one -from both sides!. Lets just say its nice to have competing views in this wonderful country we live in.
post #34 of 44
Quote:

You are a full of sh*t liberal showing your objectivity.

You prefer the fake media instead.

post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

FOX News
WSJ (editorial div.)

Vs.

NBC
CBS
ABC
PBS
CNN
CNBC
MSNBC (sorry to throw this in)
NPR
New York Times
Washington Post
plus hundreds of other outlets.

A reasonable person could just easily say, the other networks are so liberal it makes FOX look conservative. At the end of the day I know a slant when I see one -from both sides!. Lets just say its nice to have competing views in this wonderful country we live in.

I have no problem with competing views. I do have a problem with spreading misinformation lol

The funny thing is though, I literally get ALL my news from the internet now. I rarely watch news on TV. Youtube of all places is turning out to be a great way to cut through the controlled bs here in America, and really see what's happening. It's amazing how many stories are ran on foreign channels that in the US would make headlines, but instead we barely hear a peep.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

You are a full of sh*t liberal showing your objectivity.

You prefer the fake media instead.

I see comments like these all the time nowadays. If you actually prefer to have your opinions formed for you, then good for you, but just because someone doesn't trust Fox News, it doesn't automatically make them some far left loon.

This is what's wrong with the country now. There's a constant "left vs right" paradigm driven into the minds of everyone so we remain arguing and fighting, and distracted. It's ridiculous that a discussion about a supposed NEWS channel always turns political. What does that tell you? In fact, what does it tell you that because he doesn't trust Fox News, you automatically called him a "full of shit liberal"???
post #37 of 44
Quote:

I have no problem with competing views. I do have a problem with spreading misinformation lol

The funny thing is though, I literally get ALL my news from the internet now. I rarely watch news on TV. Youtube of all places is turning out to be a great way to cut through the controlled bs here in America, and really see what's happening. It's amazing how many stories are ran on foreign channels that in the US would make headlines, but instead we barely hear a peep.

Believe me, they all spread misinformation, either wittingly or unwittingly. The thing is, most of us only watch those sources that tend to validate our preconceived views. The real trick is to go to other sites for alternative viewpoints.

Agree on the internet and foreign news sources.
post #38 of 44
Quote:

If you've read any comment from Apple there's no need to read Gruber. His blog never deviates from the Steve Jobs party line.
post #39 of 44
My WSJ was delivered soaking wet today! Saturday's edition is one of my fav's because the content is a little more 'fun.' Cars, wine, travel, movies, books, etc. Had to send my GF our the local convenience store to get another one! In the rain no less.

I'll probably wait for the second gen. iPad before changing my sub. to online only b/c of the likelihood of a camera for FaceTime/Scanning UPC codes and the like. And the possible use of the iPhone 4's high res screen.

This is when I will convert to a paid online/iPad version. And all my Mags for that matter.

Best.

PS. I balance the WSJ editorial bent with listening to the Diane Rehms' Podcast from NPR while on my daily runs.

We probably should all avoid Fox News and MSNBC irrespective of our individual political leanings.

Hannity is looking more and more like Lou Costello, Keith Obberman is one cheeseburger away from a stroke, Chris Matthews looks more and more like Charles Nelson-Riley with his constantly wet lower lip...and Glenn Beck is just a self-righteous prig/buffoon of the first order! Put them in a room together and they would look and sound like the caricatures they have become. George will is just plain 'dialed out!'

PSS. I recommend Fareed Zakaria on CNN as the best as far as TV news is concerned! FYI: Video Podcasts available. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/f...eo/id285714206 Oh and Bill Maher on HBO!

PSSS. Sorry for being off topic a bit!
post #40 of 44
Great!

More news with less facts.

And you get to pay them for the privilege.

Awesome. Just awesome.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • News Corp considers news organization devoted to iPad, other tablets
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp considers news organization devoted to iPad, other tablets