or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › UK using iPad to train soldiers for Afghan operations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UK using iPad to train soldiers for Afghan operations

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
The US Army isn't the only security force adopting Apple's iOS devices for training and military operations; the UK is also now actively using iPad to train its soldiers.

Following a report earlier this year that outlined the interest in Apple's mobile devices being expressed by the US Army, a new report by the BBC outlines similar interest across the Atlantic.

The Royal School of Artillery in Wiltshire is already using iPad to train soldiers how to handle a "fire mission," a scenario where they are facing enemy fire from several miles away. Early trials have shown troops "have learned the jargon and procedures more quickly than before, when they were sat listening to lessons from instructors," the report said.

Lance Bombardier Jason Markham, who has already served in Afghanistan and is in training for a second tour, told the BBC, "[iPad-based training] makes it more fun instead of being sat in a classroom looking at a presentation being given information.

"If you're on a course you can take this back to the block and practise with it, even have little competitions with it."



Army training officer Major Rich Gill, who has been working to roll out the iPad training, noted, "if we can use this sort of technology, we can probably shorten the amount of training and that is pretty key nowadays when people are so committed to operations in Afghanistan.

"There's so much they need to do before they go there and when they come back. If we can use this to reduce the amount of training it'll be fantastic."

While the armed forced are facing cuts, Gill said the move to iPad-based training is good value for the money because its helps cut related expenses, including printing reference guides a manuals. "You can get all the material that you need on there at the right time and it's really mobile as well," Gill said.

Apple's iPad was among 15 other devices the team considered, and "at the time this project came about this was the best bit of hardware on the market," Gill noted. The same team is now working on a 3D training app for pilots, intended to help them quickly identify different types of vehicles from the air.
post #2 of 44
Just one example of why all the iPad haters missed the point.

Could you do this training in other ways? Of course, But the iPad's compactness, reliability, and ease of use make it better than the alternatives.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the UK is also now actively using iPad to train its solderers.

eh?
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

They're the ones soldering the country back together.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

Sounds like it's an electrical engineering simulation app.
post #6 of 44
Well... I guess there really is 'An App For That' !
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just one example of why all the iPad haters missed the point.

Could you do this training in other ways? Of course, But the iPad's compactness, reliability, and ease of use make it better than the alternatives.

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #8 of 44
I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).

I must disagree with you on a few points. I think the motion sensors and the multiple axis gyro could give a more realistic or imersive experince to the trainie and the 10-12 hour battery gives it a big advantage. I think that most laptops with that kind of graphics performance would not be able to run on battery very long and wouldn't really be cheaper. And coming from my mostly antedodal observations most portabels thAT can go 12 hours on a charge have weak graphics peformance.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!

I found my on the shelf next to the hen's teeth.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #11 of 44
I think this is more a testament to the fact that people learn through interactivity and traditional lectures may not be the best model for presenting information. Teachers are better off helping one-on-one while the iPad gives the lecture. I think the iPad is helping people re-evaluate traditional methods. Especially as the economy is pushing people to try things differently. Just a matter of time and students will give up their pencils for fingers.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just one example of why all the iPad haters missed the point.

Could you do this training in other ways? Of course, But the iPad's compactness, reliability, and ease of use make it better than the alternatives.

It helps that it has good development tools, lots of software, easy management, good industrial design, long battery, feels more personal then a personal computer, and will be around for the long haul. It would be hard to find something that can compete with that... even among net books. I think that there is also a collective subconscious desire for a device like this to succeed. That is why there is very little criticism and a lot of praise placed on the iPad despite it being a new concept with lots of things to iron out still. There is a global interest to make this device succeed. I think that competitors may have trouble rallying the same support.
post #13 of 44
Hope they are not getting special pricing or quantity-dsicount on this. No wonder, iPad is still hard to get.

No matter what they are using it for, Apple should not get into the KILLING-BUSINESS. Once the military get into Apple products, chances are there will be export restrictions. And who knows what else.

I don't like it at all.
post #14 of 44
Maybe some language training would help, too.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Hope they are not getting special pricing or quantity-dsicount on this. No wonder, iPad is still hard to get.

No matter what they are using it for, Apple should not get into the KILLING-BUSINESS. Once the military get into Apple products, chances are there will be export restrictions. And who knows what else.

I don't like it at all.

Well in addition to killing, they also stop killing. So if they do it right, there's an overall reduction in killing.
post #16 of 44
Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.

Bullets fuck?
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \

Windows PC's need to be able to stop bullets, since people are more likely to get frustrated and try to shoot the fucker!
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!

I bet they didn't have to try that hard. Surely Apple keep some aside to give quickly to people like this in the knowledge that it will get them yet more positive (and free) press!
post #21 of 44
.....
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I bet they didn't have to try that hard. Surely Apple keep some aside to give quickly to people like this in the knowledge that it will get them yet more positive (and free) press!

Not really. Apple doesn't do that, but I doubt they got them in stores. If you order on-line they will eventually arrive. All online orders (enterprise or not), go through the same channel. They do have bulk packs for larger purchases though.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).

Yeah, marching around in combat gear on dusty mountain tracks in Afghanistan with a "regular ol PC laptop" strapped to your vest sure would work "just as well or better" than a 1,5 pound 9 inch iPad. Just as well or better. Uhu. Sure.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Not really. Apple doesn't do that, but I doubt they got them in stores. If you order on-line they will eventually arrive. All online orders (enterprise or not), go through the same channel. They do have bulk packs for larger purchases though.

Apple has a "government" sales team. They handle big customers like the army.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Bullets fuck?

Which is why you want to stop them. Stop the fucking bullets - otherwise you have all these little bullets running around and when they can't fuck well half of them get real ornery and the other half develop blue casings.
post #26 of 44
The ipad can't be used as a bullet shield. EPIC fail!

Seriously though I don't see what use a tablet could have...hehehe.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.

Well maybe it can....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/i...t-for-soldier/
post #28 of 44
The real good news here is that, after these soldiers get killed, the Afghans will be able to take their iPads along with their guns. I applaud Apple's innovative use of tech to empower the oppressed.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).

May I ask, what you would like to print... and why?

For the majority of things, printing is unnecessary and even undesirable, because you can't "search" it, tag it, work with the information further (copy/paste/edit), whatever. In most cases it is thrown away after reading once, or filed away not to be looked at again for years.

My take on it, and I'm in design and advertising where reams of paper are wasted frivolously and daily (not be me though).
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \

I doubt they're firing bullets at them at the Royal Artillery School in Wiltshire\
 uMBP 15.4", 2.44Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, iPhone 4 32GB
Reply
 uMBP 15.4", 2.44Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, iPhone 4 32GB
Reply
post #31 of 44
the ipad used as a tool to train our young boys and girls the ways of war ,could save some lives .


on both sides .

i hope so ..

peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Hope they are not getting special pricing or quantity-dsicount on this. No wonder, iPad is still hard to get.

No matter what they are using it for, Apple should not get into the KILLING-BUSINESS. Once the military get into Apple products, chances are there will be export restrictions. And who knows what else.

I don't like it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7qtjdxl04Q

The Forces discount Apple offers doesn't apply to iPad/iPhones but I'm sure a bulk buy can be negotiated. Regardless I'm very sure an off the shelf iPad is significantly cheaper than what BAe would charge to deliver a desktop PC for training purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.

A logical and reasoned argument - well done you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

May I ask, what you would like to print... and why?

For the majority of things, printing is unnecessary and even undesirable, because you can't "search" it, tag it, work with the information further (copy/paste/edit), whatever. In most cases it is thrown away after reading once, or filed away not to be looked at again for years.

My take on it, and I'm in design and advertising where reams of paper are wasted frivolously and daily (not be me though).

Some so-called E-Tickets still require printing - which whilst ferking stupid on the part of those who insist upon it - would be handy from your iOS device.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Bullets fuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Windows PC's need to be able to stop bullets, since people are more likely to get frustrated and try to shoot the fucker!

Best thread this whole fucking week.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!

I found a damaged one in a trash can along with Steve Jobs' humility and a coloured rubber band.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well... I guess there really is 'An App For That' !

iBulletStopperHD for iPad
Also, now available, iKillU HD
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

The real good news here is that, after these soldiers get killed, the Afghans will be able to take their iPads along with their guns. I applaud Apple's innovative use of tech to empower the oppressed.

Maybe the Afghans can do a map search on an ipad to find you and give you a taste of what Taliban oppression is.

Please Apple add stupid Bedouin to your map data so that real afghans can target him.

That would be Apple's innovative use of tech to reduce idiots.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

The real good news here is that, after these soldiers get killed, the Afghans will be able to take their iPads along with their guns. I applaud Apple's innovative use of tech to empower the oppressed.

How is it good news that a soldier has been killed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Maybe the Afghans can do a map search on an ipad to find you and give you a taste of what Taliban oppression is.
Please Apple add stupid Bedouin to your map data so that real afghans can target him.
That would be Apple's innovative use of tech to reduce idiots.

Agreed, but maybe there is a tracking device ie GPS that drones can home in on so they can launch one of these http://www.google.com/images?client=...d=0CDsQsAQwAw:).
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

They're trying to add the camera which people expected in the iPad!
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

Oh for Frak sake. Gonna be a spelling nazi fag?
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I must disagree with you on a few points. I think the motion sensors and the multiple axis gyro could give a more realistic or imersive experince to the trainie and the 10-12 hour battery gives it a big advantage. I think that most laptops with that kind of graphics performance would not be able to run on battery very long and wouldn't really be cheaper. And coming from my mostly antedodal observations most portabels thAT can go 12 hours on a charge have weak graphics peformance.

"Weak graphics performance"? You obviously haven't used an iPad. The graphics are pretty damn good for a tablet device...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › UK using iPad to train soldiers for Afghan operations