or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Stanford School of Medicine equipping students with Apple's iPad

Stanford School of Medicine equipping students with Apple's iPad

post #1 of 46
The School of Medicine at Stanford University has adopted Apple's iPad, providing the device to all incoming first year medical students and Master of Medicine students.

The school cited four reasons behind the new program, including student readiness, noting that iPad "creates opportunities for efficient, mobile, and innovative learning."

Stanford also noted "the flexibility of iPad technology," noting that "iPad allows students to view and annotate course content electronically, facilitating advance preparation as well as in-class note-taking in a highly portable, sharable and searchable format."

Access to information and "information literacy" was also a consideration, with the school pointing out that "students will be able to easily access high-quality information at any place, at any time (for example, images from textbooks on digital course reserve, image databases, journal articles, Lane Librarys various search tools, etc.)"

A fourth rationale was Stanford's intent to go green, "replacing printed syllabi with PDFs is in line with the Sustainable Stanford initiative, which aims to build sustainable practices into every aspect of campus life."

Stanford and Apple

Located near Apple in Silicon Valley, Stanford has long had a history of interaction with Apple and its chief executive Steve Jobs, both in computing technology in general and within its School of Medicine.

The university invited Jobs to give a commencement address in 2005, and Stanford doctors later treated Jobs through his battle with pancreatic cancer.

The university was also an early participant in Apple's iTunes U program, which enabled schools to share free educational courses and other content with the public.

In 2008, the school announced an iPhone development course, and last year it began publishing its "iPhone Application Programming" course on iTunes U for free to the general public.
post #2 of 46
Sounds like the logical move for the medical industry... Windows-based Tablet PCs ---> Apple iPads.

Smaller... Lighter... Longer Battery Life = Win!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 46
Every student in America should be given an iPad. No more books. The cost of an iPad is cheaper than a semester cost of books in most colleges, and even in many high schools across the country.

Save the trees, save the environment! Free iPad for all. No more wars, let's use the money for school.
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sounds like the logical move for the medical industry... Windows-based Tablet PCs ---> Apple iPads.

Smaller... Lighter... Longer Battery Life = Win!

also...virus free device!!
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay_bobo View Post

also...virus free device!!

In these 'highly specialized' environments, the software run is pretty locked-down, so viruses and the like aren't usually an issue... 'usually'
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #6 of 46
My daughter is in Med School and I will be getting her one to augment her MacBookPro 13.

I see the iPad taking over the medical field!

Best
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Every student in America should be given an iPad. No more books. The cost of an iPad is cheaper than a semester cost of books in most colleges, and even in many high schools across the country.

Save the trees, save the environment! Free iPad for all. No more wars, let's use the money for school.

Agreed, and you can throw in Newspapers and Magazine subs...Company reports, the list goes on and on. And don't forget all the oil/gas it takes to ship them and the oil/gas to get the raw materials to the paper mills and printers...it's not just about saving trees!

Edit: and the water pollution b/c of having to bleach the paper to white.
post #8 of 46
Quote:

No.

Chuck Dick
President of the American Book Publishers Union to Promote Killing Trees to Print More Books To Gouge College Students
post #9 of 46
Spectacular. This will also ease the transition into hospitals and the "instant patient records" capabilities of the iPad... Better care for "cheap" and I don't mind that it's Green.
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My daughter is in Med School and I will be getting her one to augment her MacBookPro 13.

I see the iPad taking over the medical field!

Best

Only if they can sterilize them.
post #11 of 46
If anything, we really need more textbooks on the iPad. Thing is, I'd rather not see my iPad littered with apps that are books, and the folder organization in iOS4 would be too clunky. Textbooks are a VISUAL experience. I want book apps to integrate with iBooks so that they show up as a separate tab called "apps" and then have a nice cover page so I can browse my stuff visually.
post #12 of 46
Quote:

When college books stores lose that extra revenue from not selling as many text they will just increase the cost of tuition.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

When college books stores lose that extra revenue from not selling as many text they will just increase the cost of tuition.

College Bookstores generally are independent businesses that lease space from the College. If books drop under their own cost and weight, the College would simply lease the space out to some other entity for some other use. The losers will be traditional publishers that don't adapt. The winners might be students (cheaper and better interactive "texts") and professors (indie industry).
post #14 of 46
Quote:

Save the trees, save the environment!

I would be curious to know which is more environmentally friendly...
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasein View Post

The winners might be students (cheaper and better interactive "texts").

My son was given a CD to complement his 4th grade textbook two years ago. What a disappointment to find that the CD was just a PDF version of the book. No interactivity...I don't remember if it was searchable, or not. Other than that, no added content.
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

In these 'highly specialized' environments, the software run is pretty locked-down, so viruses and the like aren't usually an issue... 'usually'

Yea right. Nothing but WinXP terminals in large hospitals that constantly need reboots to update their patient records. Yeah, that's a secure, real-time environment.
post #17 of 46
Quote:

Given the costs of shipping storage and handling in the store - not to mention (even cheap student) staffing to stock bookshelves - this is a win for them too. Set up a row of simple kiosks to pay for and download textbooks directly to your computer or iPad, yeah that is the way to go. Less staffing required, virtually no storage, shipping or handling. Space requirements are smaller as well, heck you could even have a "bookstore app" for that - once on campus your bookstore app checks your location and asks for validation and your class list, downloads your textbooks and supporting material and you're done.
post #18 of 46
Maybe I should go back and do med school all over again.
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

I would be curious to know which is more environmentally friendly...

Paper industry uses heavy equipment to cut drop and transport trees (arguably a renewable resource) to a paper mill where equipment requiring energy is used to grind the wood to pulp (maybe mix in some level of recycled material), uses tons (literally) of chemicals to treat the woodfiber and make it better able to be rolled out into thin sheets and bleached white and inked with lines. Once produced it has to be cut, formatted for notebooks, lab books, or wrapped in reams for printers, or transported in large spools to printing houses where it is printed, treated, cut and bound into books. The books are sold, used for one semester, resold, recycled or just thrown away. If you are taking four classes per semester, that usually mean one to two (or more texts and supporting material per student per semester (that would be roughly 20 million students in the US alone for undergraduates), or 160 million text books and related material, most of which will be updated in the next year or two with a new edition making the old editions obsolete. So figure on average half that or 80 million texts needing to be replaced with new ones each year. Estimate at 1-2lbs of paper per textbook (or more) thats 160 million pounds of waste paper to process, recycle, incinerate, or landfill. *whew* someone else tackle the electronic side of the equation
post #20 of 46
Quote:

But is it cheaper than the difference in cost between the electronic version of the text and the treeware version? My guess is that e-texts *won't* be that much cheaper. Certainly not enough to offset the cost of an iPad in a year (much less one term).

Quote:

There *are* benefits to treeware versus etexts. Higher resolution, for example.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Estimate at 1-2lbs of paper per textbook (or more) thats 160 million pounds of waste paper to process, recycle, incinerate, or landfill. *whew* someone else tackle the electronic side of the equation

The textbooks I've seen for medical education seem to be heavier than that, I'd say 2-3lbs. I would hope that 1 ipad + what is needed to support it for 2 years would be better than the ~20 books that it might replace, but it's important to actually get a good analysis, because high technology often takes a lot more power, water and chemicals to manufacture.

I had this discussion with a green blogger some time back, he assumed that an SD card per movie for distribution would be better for the environment than an optical disc because it's a lot smaller than the disc that it replaced, he gave figures on the amount of water, oil & energy it takes to make a disc, & packaging, but didn't bother to find info on equivalent figures on the SD card to make a comparision. I dug up information showing that one SD card takes a lot more to make than a single optical disc & packaging than the SD card & packaging..
post #22 of 46
The iPad is making inroads in all kinds of industries and revolutionizing portable computing like no computer I've seen before.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Only if they can sterilize them.

Probably easier to sterilize than most tablet computers. I bet a sealed case can be made so it can be wiped down with alcohol cleaners.

I was thinking the medical field is one of the major markets that tablet computers had.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The School of Medicine at Stanford University has adopted Apple's iPad, providing the device to all incoming first year medical students and Master of Medicine students.

Why only first year students? Next semester, my university is also giving away iPads to incoming freshmen and new transfer students only. I'm sorry, I'm paying the same tuition as them -- where's my free iPad? I'm sure they're inflating everyone's tuition to cover the cost, so why should I have to subsidize their iPads?
post #25 of 46
Under the old medical school teaching system, the average class generated about 100 pages of classes notes/day via the note taking service. Do the math assuming only 150 days of classes/year... even if for just 2 years. This is addition to the textbooks that are mostly bulky. Even in residency, most text books are heavy... medicine, surgery, ent, neuro, etc. Worse, is that they get out dated and have to be replaced. It is hard to carry any books around, quick access or even to refer them around the house or office/hospital.

My estimate is that the average medical student reads a minimum of about 20,000 pages during the 4 years of medical school. Plus what is read during residency. The actual number of pages read is much higher. Then there are countless medical journals.

The iPad is great device, though some improvements could be added over time:
1. Higher resolution screen like the iPhone 4.0.
2. More storage memory to store images and video in hi resolution, like path slides, radiology images, etc.
3. Camera for quick acquisition and transmission of images for consultation and record over a secure HIPPA compliant system.

Not complaining... what we got is beyond expectation and a good start.
post #26 of 46
Quote:

Not really. The college book store will just go "digital" and just transition to selling the electronic text when they need to.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I had this discussion with a green blogger some time back, he assumed that an SD card per movie for distribution would be better for the environment than an optical disc because it's a lot smaller than the disc that it replaced, he gave figures on the amount of water, oil & energy it takes to make a disc, & packaging, but didn't bother to find info on equivalent figures on the SD card to make a comparision. I dug up information showing that one SD card takes a lot more to make than a single optical disc & packaging than the SD card & packaging..

Well probably at this time, only because each SD card is packaged separately rather than in bulk like CD/DVD. However in the long run, when SD cards replace optical media, which they will... I think the production costs (energy, packaging etc.) will be much lower.

SD cards also won't be with us very long, since almost everything will be going wireless transfer, and with built in SSDs. Slots of all kinds will disappear, and when ultra-fast transfer speeds are needed, I fully expect LightPeak will become the standard connect for everything.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Given the costs of shipping storage and handling in the store - not to mention (even cheap student) staffing to stock bookshelves - this is a win for them too. Set up a row of simple kiosks to pay for and download textbooks directly to your computer or iPad, yeah that is the way to go. Less staffing required, virtually no storage, shipping or handling. Space requirements are smaller as well, heck you could even have a "bookstore app" for that - once on campus your bookstore app checks your location and asks for validation and your class list, downloads your textbooks and supporting material and you're done.

I should have read a little further. This is exactly what I meant in a reply to a previous post.
post #29 of 46
Quote:

Yup, if every bullet was a download, if every gun was an iPad, every if missile was a crate of iPads. The world would be better off indeed.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The iPad is making inroads in all kinds of industries and revolutionizing portable computing like no computer I've seen before.

It is the new platform beyond the Mac and will have a far, far, further reach.
post #31 of 46
My brother is retired now, a surgeon in Atlanta for many years. I was the kid younger brother when he started going to med school. The enormous number of huge books that he had to lug around was probably the thing I remember most. I also remember him poring over his messy notes, pages all curled, some wet from a rainstorm, and he'd work like heck trying to decipher his hurried handwriting. Imagine if all that changed, or if he could simply have recorded audio or video of important parts of the lecture. His shoulders would probably be less hunched than they are now.
post #32 of 46
Quote:

Textbook publishers make the big money from these limited printings of expensive volumes. Notice the prices on them? And the bookstores don't pay anything but rent to the colleges.

Good place to buy computers, though, with your student card.
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yea right. Nothing but WinXP terminals in large hospitals that constantly need reboots to update their patient records. Yeah, that's a secure, real-time environment.

There are lots of horror stories here. Like the bypass operation where some idiot left the Windows heart monitor connected to the Internet, and it was patch Tuesday. Bong! the machines all rebooted right at the crucial moment of the operation.
post #34 of 46
Quote:

Probably easier to sterilize than most tablet computers. I bet a sealed case can be made so it can be wiped down with alcohol cleaners.

I was thinking the medical field is one of the major markets that tablet computers had.

There will be a need for special iPad covers for this kind of work, but it's hardly a stretch to imagine that.

As for environmental damage from books vs iPads, it's not really that clear cut. Books can be made with much less damage than they currently do. Fast growing, sustainable forests can do better than the electricity usage from iPads or other e-book readers and with more re-use (the ultimate way to be environmentally friendly) they can be better too.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

There are lots of horror stories here. Like the bypass operation where some idiot left the Windows heart monitor connected to the Internet, and it was patch Tuesday. Bong! the machines all rebooted right at the crucial moment of the operation.

It would be really unlikely, but it would be pretty bad to have an iPad left inside you!
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdb View Post

There will be a need for special iPad covers for this kind of work, but it's hardly a stretch to imagine that.

As for environmental damage from books vs iPads, it's not really that clear cut. Books can be made with much less damage than they currently do. Fast growing, sustainable forests can do better than the electricity usage from iPads or other e-book readers and with more re-use (the ultimate way to be environmentally friendly) they can be better too.

Surgeons are already using them inside sterile bags. Moreover, vinyl surgical gloves do not interfere with ones ability to use the device.
post #37 of 46
You will have to buy the books through iTunes. And Apple will get its cut off the top. Imagine how much money Apple will make with a cut of every textbook sold...
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It is the new platform beyond the Mac and will have a far, far, further reach.

This is true. For those of you old enough to remember, the Apple II was the premier device of its kind in its time. But that Apple corp. did not move quickly or well enough to thwart IBM and Microsoft and almost lost everything had it not been for all of us fanboys. Apple must continue to inovate and adapt. But for now the IPad is absolutely wonderful.
post #39 of 46
Quote:

I don't work there so don't hate me, but my iPhone is well protected by the Otterbox Defender series case. I know they make one for iPad. I'm sure there are other brands, but that is what I use. They also make water resistant ones, which are probably capable of a full alcohol wipe-down.

I assume the OP was joking, but it's totally feasible.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDe View Post

You will have to buy the books through iTunes. And Apple will get its cut off the top. Imagine how much money Apple will make with a cut of every textbook sold...

This was an obvious use before the thing even launched. iTunes U didn't come out of nowhere. Plenty of people on these forums also predicted it would take over the medical field as well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Stanford School of Medicine equipping students with Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Stanford School of Medicine equipping students with Apple's iPad