or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple removes competitors' phones from iPhone 4 antenna page
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple removes competitors' phones from iPhone 4 antenna page

post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 
Apple's iPhone 4 antenna page, which shows the great lengths the company goes to in order to test its handsets, no longer features videos of competing smartphones losing reception when held improperly.

The "death grip" videos previously posted at apple.com/antenna showed a number of handsets experiencing signal attenuation when held. Most recently, Motorola's Droid X had been added to the page.

The antenna information page had also previously shown Research in Motion's BlackBerry Bold 9700, HTC's Droid Eris, Samsung's Windows Mobile Omnia II, Nokia's N97, as well as Apple's own iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

Competing smartphone makers took issue with the fact that Apple had compared their phones to the iPhone 4. They argued that their phones did not experience the same level of signal attenuation as the iPhone 4, which can lose signal strength when the bottom left corner of the device is touched. But Apple's videos of the phones suggested otherwise, showing popular handsets losing signal when held in the hand.

The videos, however, remain on Apple's official YouTube channel.

The official antenna page still features one video, that offers an inside look at Apple's antenna testing labs. The company has invested more than $100 million in its advanced labs, which feature 17 different, state-of-the-art anechoic chambers designed to measure antenna and wireless performance.
post #2 of 89
Good. It was getting lame.
post #3 of 89
Good. Hope that shame of the LoC might be somehow mitigated, too.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #4 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotGraham94 View Post

I guess apple were the ones RECEIVING legal threats

Well, if Apple's videos showed the truth about the problem with other companies' handsets, what's there to sue about. I mean, the other companies were attacking the iPhone4 first.

I suspect it is probably more of a truce between the companies. We'll see in the following weeks if there is a lack of iPhone4 bashing.
post #5 of 89
I guess the positive stories coming from the International launch are doing a better job at nullifying the damage being done by a pack of mainly American whiners than all the videos pointing out the truth were doing.

Sued?

For what?

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your death grip obsessed, whining masses yearning to be drop out free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"





Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotGraham94 View Post

I guess apple were the ones RECEIVING legal threats
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #6 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Good. It was getting lame.

It was lame from the start. Smart move to remove.
post #7 of 89
They did their job. iPhone sales are through the roof. No need to keep them up. Apple killed "antennagate" and are moving on.
post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

I mean, the other companies were attacking the iPhone4 first.

They were and Apple has a right and duty to product itself, its products, investors and bottom line, but you get to a point when it’s no longer advantageous to do an attack ad, even if provoked. I suspect that hill60 is right in that news from outside the US is better than Apple’s defense in that it’s an independent 3rd-party reporting on the quality of the iPhone 4 and (likely) anyone who still thinks this is an iPhone 4-only issue causing a “short circuiting” of the antennas probably won’t be changing their stance on the iPhone or Apple anytime soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I guess the positive stories coming from the International launch are doing a better job at nullifying the damage being done by a pack of mainly American whiners than all the videos pointing out the truth were doing.

That sounds reasonable.


PS: Hulu Plus preview invites are being sent out now. Just signed up. Now to see how to compares to the selection and quality of other paid streaming services, like Netflix.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Good. It was getting lame.

Agreed,

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #10 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


PS: Hulu Preview invites are being sent out now. Just signed up. Now to see how to compares to the selection and quality of other paid streaming services, like Netflix.

Received mine about 3 weeks ago. In my opinion, Hulu Plus pales in comparison to Netflix in the movie section, but takes Netflix to task with it's tv section. I prefer movies over tv, therefore I consider Netflix the better of the two.
post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I guess the positive stories coming from the International launch are doing a better job at nullifying the damage being done by a pack of mainly American whiners than all the videos pointing out the truth were doing.

Sued?

For what?

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your death grip obsessed, whining masses yearning to be drop out free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"



agree 100%
post #12 of 89
Off topic
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Well, if Apple's videos showed the truth about the problem with other companies' handsets, what's there to sue about. I mean, the other companies were attacking the iPhone4 first.

I suspect it is probably more of a truce between the companies. We'll see in the following weeks if there is a lack of iPhone4 bashing.

There has always been a certain jealousy when it comes to Apple products. Even going back to the Apple II and Commodore 64 days though it has gotten progressively worse in recent times. I believe that "antenna gate" could be used to show how media, public dissemination and the internet effect public perception.

Gizmodo did try their hardest though. But I think this is all behind us now. Good try gizmodo.
post #14 of 89
I agree that they had served their purpose. After visiting the site, I was struck by two things:

1) The fat rubber band that held the phone in place in one test seemed kinda low tech compared to all the whiz-bang technology around it. I am sure it worked just fine, but still rather incongruous.

2) As I read the last paragraph on the page I kept expecting to see "both in and out of cases" among the long list of variables. They didn't include it. I wondered if that was because they didn't test that (unlikely I think), or some legal reason (more likely). What do you think?

BTW, I continue to love my iP4 first without, then with, it's free Apple bumper.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #15 of 89
Very Wise Move... It proved nothing and made Apple look like it was 'pointing fingers' at others rather than fixing the actual issues.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Very Wise Move... It proved nothing and made Apple look like it was 'pointing fingers' at others rather than fixing the actual issues.

I agree somewhat, but to be fair, their competitors pointed first.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Well, if Apple's videos showed the truth about the problem with other companies' handsets, what's there to sue about. I mean, the other companies were attacking the iPhone4 first.

I suspect it is probably more of a truce between the companies. We'll see in the following weeks if there is a lack of iPhone4 bashing.

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.

In my own "testing" I found that I couldn't even reproduce my own results. I tried holding the phone different ways both in and out of the case and found a inexplicable lack of consistency. In worst case scenarios I had bars go down one time, and up the next. There are so many variables in play that the best one can hope for are macro results. Zeroing in micro on one video of one instance is probably futile. Do enough tests and shoot enough video and you can make any phone do anything. Either way it helped Apple, I think. It instilled their own FUD about their critics.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Very Wise Move... It proved nothing and made Apple look like it was 'pointing fingers' at others rather than fixing the actual issues.

Do you have any empirical evidence to back this up, or are you, in your usual grand fashion, talking through your hat based on your feelings/surmise/biases? (Oh, don't bother linking to some silly tech article; I said 'empirical evidence.').
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree somewhat, but to be fair, their competitors pointed first.

Unfortunate that people always get pissy when their fragile emotional bubbles are burst with actual knowledge.

It was a wonderfully informative reality check for the whiners, I'll miss those well-manicured, antennae-blocking hands.
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree somewhat, but to be fair, their competitors pointed first.


I would say customers pointed first...
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.

No way. No company is stupid enough to open a legal can of worms when there is technological uncertainty of this kind.

In all likelihood, its competitors howled (although they asked for it, in good measure), tons of press reports followed (with coverage not necessarily to the competitors' liking), Apple realized that it had made its point (everybody had a good laugh in Cupertino), and just decided to move on.
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Unfortunate that people always get pissy when their fragile emotional bubbles are burst with actual knowledge.

It was a wonderfully informative reality check for the whiners, I'll miss those well-manicured, antennae-blocking hands.

Hehe...
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.

Well I, unfortunately, don't own an iPhone since they're just to damn expensive in Portugal...but I do own an HTC Tattoo and I can get my bars to drop

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

Reply

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

Reply
post #25 of 89
This video was released before the iPhone 4 was released (05/26/2010), it wasn't made by Apple:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

This was released on 06/28/2010, again it wasn't made by Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvCQfQxiPM

These videos probably inspired Apple's response, fight fire with fire.

Finally some light entertainment (language warning):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0


Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hulu Plus preview invites are being sent out now. Just signed up. Now to see how to compares to the selection and quality of other paid streaming services, like Netflix.

paying for quality content sound reasonable, but paying for content and still getting commercials!? i'll just watch on my pc and get the same service from the same company with the same commercials for FREE.
post #27 of 89
Off topic.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 89
Apple did this to stop the main stream media from escalating a minor issue, that all phones suffer from, into a huge iPhone-only issue.

Now that everyone knows the truth, no need to host the videos.
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.

Really? You have evidence that there have been threats of legal action - and that they were the cause of Apple pulling down the site? And you have evidence that Apple faked the video? And you can prove that no one else can recreate Apple's work?

In the REAL world (you should really try to visit some time), there have been youtube videos on virtually every smart phone out there showing the bars dropping. It's just a fact of life.

And it's hard to imagine what the grounds for legal action would be - unless Apple really did completely falsify the videos - which is too ridiculous a premise to even consider.

There have been reports from multiple countries reporting no problems there. Apple (and all the individuals on YouTube) have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it's not just an iPhone problem.

Once the situation gets to that point, there's no point continuing to beat the dead horse. You run the risk of whacking its heart back into action and resurrecting the entire issue.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 89
Legal threats? Unlikely. More likely, the competitors agreed to stop reaming Apple in their advertising. It was turning into a war nobody wins.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #31 of 89
Apple was guilty of false advertising.

End of story. Move along.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple was guilty of false advertising.

End of story. Move along.

And you are guilty of tripe. Moving along....
post #33 of 89
Who was taking out FULL PAGE ADS in the New York Times taking advantage of the iPhone antenna hysteria?

Apples competitors were asking for it and they got it.

All the whiners were loving it when Apple was doing nothing and getting hammered by the idiots in the tech media and retards on message boards like these.

As soon as Apple started fighting back those same people were "outraged" by what Apple was doing.

Comical.
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Good. It was getting lame.

Especially because Apple didn't post for comparison a video of the signal drop when merely touching the iPhone 4 antenna gap--no stranglehold required.

Apple: if you have any integrity, bring back Field Test Mode.
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No way. No company is stupid enough to open a legal can of worms when there is technological uncertainty of this kind.

In all likelihood, its competitors howled (although they asked for it, in good measure), tons of press reports followed (with coverage not necessarily to the competitors' liking), Apple realized that it had made its point (everybody had a good laugh in Cupertino), and just decided to move on.

Something I have noticed on the droid X is that it will go into a low power network mode. It will go from full bars to one, but as soon as you do something like hit the icon to make a phone call, or open mail, it jumps right back up to 4 bars. Apple could have recorded the phone going into low power mode without realizing that was what happened. Does not mean they did it on purpose, but did not understand how their competitors phone works, and was misinformed in the information they released about what was happening in the video. I mean they have that "State of the art" testing room right? Why would they show it off and then not use it?
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This video was released before the iPhone 4 was released (05/26/2010), it wasn't made by Apple:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

This was released on 06/28/2010, again it wasn't made by Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvCQfQxiPM

These videos probably inspired Apple's response, fight fire with fire.

Finally some light entertainment (language warning):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

Look, I am not saying there are not phones out there that do not truly have an issue with hand placement. I have seen very convincing videos such as someone running a download speed test while demonstrating a bad spot to hold. Some of the phones Apple put up videos for really do have this problem, but some of the others do not appear to be affected to the extent that the Apple videos show.
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple was guilty of false advertising.

End of story. Move along.

You forgot to check your Apple-envy at the door.
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Something I have noticed on the droid X is that it will go into a low power network mode. It will go from full bars to one, but as soon as you do something like hit the icon to make a phone call, or open mail, it jumps right back up to 4 bars. Apple could have recorded the phone going into low power mode without realizing that was what happened. Does not mean they did it on purpose, but did not understand how their competitors phone works, and was misinformed in the information they released about what was happening in the video. I mean they have that "State of the art" testing room right? Why would they show it off and then not use it?

It really makes no difference at this point. iPhone demand continues, unabated. The whole antennagate affair is dead.
post #39 of 89
I love Apple, but the fact that Apple stepped down to the level of it's competitors seemed childish. All they needed to do was give out the bumper, and not bring other companies into it. It did not seem professional. I sometimes wonder if Apple still thinks that it is a Start-Up company and not one of the largest tech companies in the world. Take the high road, take care of your customers and take the profit to the bank.
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Look, I am not saying there are not phones out there that do not truly have an issue with hand placement. I have seen very convincing videos such as someone running a download speed test while demonstrating a bad spot to hold. Some of the phones Apple put up videos for really do have this problem, but some of the others do not appear to be affected to the extent that the Apple videos show.

How do you know some aren't affected to the extent Apple showed? Did you do the thorough test on any yourself? Remember even IP4 owners reported inconsistent feedback about the issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple removes competitors' phones from iPhone 4 antenna page