or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad configuration policies reference camera
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad configuration policies reference camera

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
AppleInsider has discovered that Apple's iPad management profile policies available to corporate users include the capability to disable use of its camera, providing evidence of future intent to include a camera on upcoming models.

Apple's configuration profile tools for iOS devices include a variety of settings and restrictions that companies can impose to regulate how the devices are used and to configure services such as VPN and wireless networking access or email, calendar and directory services.

Policies can also force strong passwords and set security features such as the number of times a password attempt can fail before the device wipes its data. Similar to parental controls, the policy settings can also be used to block access to features such as the iTunes Store, Safari, YouTube, or the use of its camera.

While iPhones do have cameras to disable, no iPad models currently do. However, among the profiles specifically included in its iPad documentation, Apple notes the ability to restrict camera use on the iPad.



iPad camera potential

Prior to launch, it was widely rumored that Apple's upcoming tablet might include a camera. When it shipped, Apple only provided the ability to connect to external cameras through its Dock connector, either via USB or using an SD Card reader adapter.

API support for camera, flash, and zoom functions were discovered in developer builds of the iPad-only iOS 3.2 in February.

While those APIs may have been added as part of software development work performed to support iPhone 4, Apple also posted job listings for a "Performance QA Engineer, iPad Media" which stated, "Build on your QA experience and knowledge of digital camera technology (still and video) to develop and maintain testing frameworks for both capture and playback pipelines."

Taken together, it appears likely that future versions of iPad will incorporate a camera, most likely a front-facing unit intended to support FaceTime. That video conferencing feature is currently limited to iPhone 4, but Apple plans to make it a widespread standard among mobile devices.
post #2 of 28
Yes, of course there will be a camera in the iPad.
BUT, look for it next year after they sell a boat-load of this version for Christmas.
post #3 of 28
while i'm sure everyone here agrees that a camera is inevitable for an iPad refresh, it's still nice to see hints of evidence. [so thanks for that AI]

...or this could have been someone being too lazy proofreading their copy/paste from the iPhone policies to the iPad policies document
post #4 of 28
Of course there is going to be a camera, the question is whether 1 or 2. I'm thinking just front facing for facetime, but I could be wrong...
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #5 of 28
I still say a new iPad with a front-facing camera is coming in November.
post #6 of 28
Actually I was surprised that there was no camera in the initial version. It's a very logical feature to include.

The one thought I had was that Apple might wait until their Billion Dollar server farm is ready and deliver some of the iPad features through it.

As far as importance, right now that tis the primary reason why I don't have one already.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Of course there is going to be a camera, the question is whether 1 or 2. I'm thinking just front facing for facetime, but I could be wrong...

Probably one camera for 2nd gen iPad, plus a hole in the circuit board for the front-facing camera which will be postponed to 3rd gen iPad due to mysterious "technical issues"...
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still say a new iPad with a front-facing camera is coming in November.

And you're still incorrect.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still say a new iPad with a front-facing camera is coming in November.

I think you're right. I know Apple normally sticks to a 12 month release cycle, but I think they may switch it up a little bit with the iPad 2. There are 2 reasons I think they may release a new iPad this fall.

1) Apple normally releases new hardware when they roll out a new version of iOS for a device. iOS 4 isn't coming to the iPad until this fall. It seems like they should be able to add the basic features of iOS 4 (folders, multitasking, iAd, ...) to the iPad no problem. I get the impression Apple is holding out for something more. New hardware?

2) To stay ahead of the competition. Other manufacturers are supposed to have their iPad "competitors" for sale around November. Some of these supposed competitors will have cameras and hardware that the current iPad doesn't have. If Apple comes out with the iPad 2 when everyone else is just getting their first attempts to market, Apple will completely blow them out of the water. Apple was WAY ahead of the competition when they announced the iPad in January. I think they are going to do everything they can to stay ahead of them.

I think the iPad will sell like crazy during the Holidays. (Well, it's already selling like hot cakes.) But, it will be the hottest device this Holiday season regardless if there is a new version or not. If there is a new version it will sell even more. I expect the iPad 2 will have similar prices to the current iPad, and Apple will knock off $100 of the current iPad and it will be the "budget" option. Imagine how many families will pick up an iPad for $400!
post #10 of 28
iPhone Configuration Utility has had that checkbox for some time because it applies to the iPhone's camera.

iPCU is also used with iPod touch and iPad. On those devices the camera setting is meaningless because there is no camera.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still say a new iPad with a front-facing camera is coming in November.

I heard the same thing from a woman who claimed to have been told this by an Apple employee that is a friend of hers during my night in the iPhone launch queue in Palo Alto June 23-24.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #12 of 28
I'd be shocked if the next iPad didn't come sooner than that usual 12 month cycle.

The iPad 1.0 is simply an unfinished product. It's great that it sold so well, but it's a very under-featured product compared to even a cheap netbook (I have both, I know first hand what each can do).
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still say a new iPad with a front-facing camera is coming in November.

November is a BAD time to do a significant update on a product that might be a big gift item. I don't remember any significant product updates happening in November/December, Apple has avoided significant October updates for several years as well.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffffffle View Post

iPhone Configuration Utility has had that checkbox for some time because it applies to the iPhone's camera.

iPCU is also used with iPod touch and iPad. On those devices the camera setting is meaningless because there is no camera.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I agree.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still say a new iPad with a front-facing camera is coming in November.

That seems highly doubtful. A couple of reasons:

1. They are already selling this one faster than they can make them.

2. It doesn't really fit with the Apple product rollout planning which generally goes on a yearly cycle.

3. They will have gotten all the kinks out of the manufacturing and distributing of this model in time for a Christmas rush. They won't be changing the product during the Christmas buying season.

4. What no one seems to have noticed is that Apple has very cleverly setup the following product calendar ensuring they have a fresh product (and fresh "buzz" about them and their products) all year:

January-ish: iMac

April-ish: iPad

June-ish: iPhone

September-ish: iPod (though they have done iPod updates in January in the past, lately it all seems to be September)

One new product per quarter. Slick.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That seems highly doubtful. A couple of reasons:

1. They are already selling this one faster than they can make them.

2. It doesn't really fit with the Apple product rollout planning which generally goes on a yearly cycle.

3. They will have gotten all the kinks out of the manufacturing and distributing of this model in time for a Christmas rush. They won't be changing the product during the Christmas buying season.

4. What no one seems to have noticed is that Apple has very cleverly setup the following product calendar ensuring they have a fresh product (and fresh "buzz" about them and their products) all year:

January-ish: iMac

April-ish: iPad

June-ish: iPhone

September-ish: iPod (though they have done iPod updates in January in the past, lately it all seems to be September)

One new product per quarter. Slick.

I just want to give some clarification for future reference: iMacs and Mac laptops are actually on a 9-10 month schedule. Their updates are not yearly.

Releasing a hardware product after October is suicide for maximum hardware sales (unless you WANT demand, like with game systems). Supply never reaches demand for products released in those months because manufacturing doesn't catch up. You have to deal with people who want a product ASAP in addition to the usual Christmas gift-buying crowd.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that Apple will release a new iPad until next April. And it's really sad knowing that the Retina display pretty much destroyed the real beauty which is the iPad display. =/
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

November is a BAD time to do a significant update on a product that might be a big gift item. I don't remember any significant product updates happening in November/December, Apple has avoided significant October updates for several years as well.

That's true. In fact, after Fall announcements they've gone out of their way to declare their "holiday lineup complete."
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #18 of 28
Will Apple be nice this time and allow hardware upgrade?
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Yes, of course there will be a camera in the iPad.
BUT, look for it next year after they sell a boat-load of this version for Christmas.

There's no way Apple will deliver an iPad with a camera next year. In September will be announced, in November available. Apple will not waste the opportunity of selling a lot more iPads in the Q4 in the Holidays season. That's what's gonna help them to sell 7.5-8 millions of iPads in 2010.

1 or 2 cameras? I'm pretty sure there gonna be 2 cameras, the flip feature is a FaceTime key, also, they know people will want to take pictures with it in the holidays.

And the iPod Touch (must be renamed iTouch) will gonna get them too, of course. This Christmas will be remembered as the FaceTime Christmas, and nothing will be the same after. BF/AF (Before-FaceTime/After-FaceTime).

Remember what Steve told us at the FaceTime presentation: "...and Apple will ship 10's of millions of FaceTime devices this year. 10's of millions of FaceTime devices". He made emphasis in this year and used the word devices clearly because he was referring to iPad and iPod Touch, but he couldn't say it, to maintain the secrecy.

And just when that iPad be available I'll buy one.
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #20 of 28
It's not referring to the camera adapter is it?
post #21 of 28
This to me is obvious because the iPad version of IOS is due to be updated around then. The number one issue there is the lack of RAM in the iPad. Apple will update iPad because they know this is the weakest link towards running 4.1 or whatever they call it on iPad.

Support for FaceTime could also be rolled in, doneright it could be a significant feature for iPad and probably will be for a few iPods. The problem here is that Apple really hasnt finalized FaceTime yet from what i can see. So will FaceTime as a product be ready for a front facing camera on iPad. As to anybody thinking that a rear facing camera is coming I think you need to get a grip.



Dave
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

There's no way Apple will deliver an iPad with a camera next year. In September will be announced, in November available. Apple will not waste the opportunity of selling a lot more iPads in the Q4 in the Holidays season. That's what's gonna help them to sell 7.5-8 millions of iPads in 2010.

1 or 2 cameras? I'm pretty sure there gonna be 2 cameras, the flip feature is a FaceTime key, also, they know people will want to take pictures with it in the holidays.

And the iPod Touch (must be renamed iTouch) will gonna get them too, of course. This Christmas will be remembered as the FaceTime Christmas, and nothing will be the same after. BF/AF (Before-FaceTime/After-FaceTime).

Remember what Steve told us at the FaceTime presentation: "...and Apple will ship 10's of millions of FaceTime devices this year. 10's of millions of FaceTime devices". He made emphasis in this year and used the word devices clearly because he was referring to iPad and iPod Touch, but he couldn't say it, to maintain the secrecy.

And just when that iPad be available I'll buy one.

I have the first one. In fact I'm posting this with it. And I won't hesitate to buy the next one either.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This to me is obvious because the iPad version of IOS is due to be updated around then. The number one issue there is the lack of RAM in the iPad. Apple will update iPad because they know this is the weakest link towards running 4.1 or whatever they call it on iPad.

Support for FaceTime could also be rolled in, doneright it could be a significant feature for iPad and probably will be for a few iPods. The problem here is that Apple really hasnt finalized FaceTime yet from what i can see. So will FaceTime as a product be ready for a front facing camera on iPad. As to anybody thinking that a rear facing camera is coming I think you need to get a grip.



Dave

Hate to interrupt, but the ultra obvious reason for the lack of camera is that the next gen CPU is required for adequate video capture at the iPad's screen rez. It might look ok on an iPhone retina screen, but it needs to impress on the larger display.
post #24 of 28
If Apple are going to introduce a forward facing camera, they're going to have to look closely at the way it is placed and designed - if you use the iPad as suggested, on your lap, the person chatting to you is going to get a view directly up your nostrils - if you hold the pad out in front of you, your arms will get tired after a short while.

I'd always agreed with the lack of camera for this reason - the form of the iPad doesn't make one practical.

For the same reason a rear camera is a ridiculous idea, how could you possible need/want/be able to use this as a digital camera - it's simply a ridiculous form factor to use as such.

I'm hoping this is simply a lazy copy and paste across all iOS documentation and hasn't been erased from the iPad docs yet.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Yes, of course there will be a camera in the iPad.
BUT, look for it next year after they sell a boat-load of this version for Christmas.

BINGO!

Without any viable competition there is no reason for them to introduce a new version right now. This is being saved for the day when someone else enters the scene with a unit that has a camera. Then iPod Touch Maxi 2.0 gets released with everything missing from iPod Touch Maxi 1.0, complete with a price drop. Thank you early adopters....
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

I think you're right. I know Apple normally sticks to a 12 month release cycle, but I think they may switch it up a little bit with the iPad 2. There are 2 reasons I think they may release a new iPad this fall.

1) Apple normally releases new hardware when they roll out a new version of iOS for a device. iOS 4 isn't coming to the iPad until this fall. It seems like they should be able to add the basic features of iOS 4 (folders, multitasking, iAd, ...) to the iPad no problem. I get the impression Apple is holding out for something more. New hardware?

2) To stay ahead of the competition. Other manufacturers are supposed to have their iPad "competitors" for sale around November. Some of these supposed competitors will have cameras and hardware that the current iPad doesn't have. If Apple comes out with the iPad 2 when everyone else is just getting their first attempts to market, Apple will completely blow them out of the water. Apple was WAY ahead of the competition when they announced the iPad in January. I think they are going to do everything they can to stay ahead of them.

I think the iPad will sell like crazy during the Holidays. (Well, it's already selling like hot cakes.) But, it will be the hottest device this Holiday season regardless if there is a new version or not. If there is a new version it will sell even more. I expect the iPad 2 will have similar prices to the current iPad, and Apple will knock off $100 of the current iPad and it will be the "budget" option. Imagine how many families will pick up an iPad for $400!


We'll find out in a few months, but I agree with your argument. Apple had a free ride with the iPhone for well over a year. It looks like the iPad will face a faster response. In this short time competitors won't be able to come up with a sophisticated operating system or interesting applications. However, they can add a USB port, front and rear camera, more memory, higher resolution screen, etc. It's possible that Apple may feel the need to preemptively respond to these developmetns.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

BINGO!

Without any viable competition there is no reason for them to introduce a new version right now. This is being saved for the day when someone else enters the scene with a unit that has a camera. Then iPod Touch Maxi 2.0 gets released with everything missing from iPod Touch Maxi 1.0, complete with a price drop. Thank you early adopters....

Yes but if it wasn't for early adopters you wouldn't have an iPad at all. And then the next generation iPad users themselves become early adopters because the year after that there will be a better camera.

Frankly I see no use for a camera in the iPad. That's what the iPhone 4 and the USB camera adapter are for. Maybe that's what this is all about... maybe it's something to do with tethering an iPhone 4 to the iPad in order to use that as the camera for FaceTime and iMovie. Not a stupid idea actually and makes more sense than an internal camera.
post #28 of 28
how about NO... why does everything have to have a frikin camera in it?

I for one was pleased when i saw apple didn't put a camera in it,after all a device that will go on to be,the most widely used E reader yet... just doesn't need one,it is not a laptop replacement or a phone. NO CAMERA.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad configuration policies reference camera