or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone

post #1 of 217
Thread Starter 
Despite strong growth in first half of 2010, Google's Android platform is still not attractive to commercial development because of rampant app piracy and limitation in security and international sales through Google's store.

According to a report by Jay Yarow of Silicon Alley Insider, a developer of one of Android's top ten apps is seeing 97 percent of players in Asia using an illegal copy, 70 percent in Europe, and 43 percent in North America.

The game, named Radiant, sells for just $2.40 but Android users find it more attractive to pirate the game, given that its so easy on the Android platform to steal developers' work without paying anything. Google's planned solution is to allow developers to phone home at regular intervals to determine if they're pirated or not, shutting down if they're deemed to be pirated.

Apple's iOS App Store simply ties purchased apps to the user's iTunes account, making piracy difficult enough for casual users to prefer to actually buy apps instead, without any phone home authorization steps. The fact that most iPhone apps are priced low means that developers can make money in volume sales, because most apps aren't being pirated. Piracy largely prevented mobile software from ever being viable prior to Apple's App Store.

Problems beyond piracy

Creating a legitimate software business on the Android platform is difficult not just because of rampant piracy but also because Google only supports paid app sales in 13 of the 46 countries it is available from: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Apple supports paid downloads for third party App Store developers in 90 countries around the world. Globally, Apple has an installed base that's at least four times larger than Android, thanks in part to iPod touch and iPad users. Even in the US, where three of the top four mobile carriers can't carry the iPhone, Apple's smartphone still has an installed base twice the size of Android, even before counting other iOS devices.

That adds up to a commercially attractive installed base of buyers that is far more alluring to developers than the hobbyist-oriented Android Market, where more apps are distributed for free and supported by ads than any other mobile platform, according to Distimo.

Apple's App Store features the least expensive apps on average across its top 100 apps than another other platform, but also features a high average price in its top grossing applications, demonstrating both a viable market for low priced volume apps as well as specialty apps that can command a higher price.

In addition to its limited reach globally, Google's Android Market has also come under assault from top Android developers for allowing widespread copyright infringement, sloppy policies regarding app approval, poor security for users' data, and allowing developers to collect inappropriate information from users without their consent.

The jailbreak threat to Apple's App Store

Because of the huge volume of real app sales in iTunes, Apple can attract the attention of developers well beyond its core Mac platform. Other vendors are working hard to copy Apple's success, but the company is also threatened by efforts to expand jailbreaking.

A recent exploit in Apple's PDF rendering software that allows a web-based crack of the iPhone's security system threatens to expose a large number of users to the ease of app piracy.

If the company does not act to better secure its iOS, it may lose its early lead in offering a viable market for developers and end up with the same listings of rarely updated, low quality hobbyist mobile software that makes up the majority of competing mobile software markets.
post #2 of 217
Hey! It's 'open source' and with that comes a certain degree of inherent 'freedom' for many users... Sad but true.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 217
Like I said on my blog jailbreaking leads to priacy .

It's just a sad fact, like it or not, people just can't handle freedom .
post #4 of 217
Wow, Daniel Eran Dilger is going all out with his anti-Android articles. He currently is averaging at least one every day. At this rate there'll soon be more Android news on this site than Apple news. In fact so far today there are two Android articles but only one related to the Mac (and that is about Microsoft Office).

I suppose the real question is why? Has Daniel Eran Dilger got so little confidence in the iPhone that he feels it cannot stand on its own two feet and he must attack the competition to compensate? I have an iPhone. I bought it because I thought it was the best smartphone. I do not need articles like this to try and help me justify my purchase.

Please stop with these anti Google, anti Android articles and anti Microsoft articles and start posting more articles about Apple products. Thank you.
post #5 of 217
Let's face it. Developers who work for a living are flocking to App Store for a reason.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 217
I JUST did a speed test and hit 19 mps up 19 mps down
FIOS
>>>>>>>>
i am flying thru space 5 6 7 pages going at once
>>>>>>>>
I really hate these pirates . It really kills the incentive for creative types to create !!!!!


peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #7 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hey! It's 'open source' and with that comes a certain degree of inherent 'freedom' for many users... Sad but true.

They are on about thieves in the night stealing apps for free.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #8 of 217
And I wonder where the trolls are now that claim that DED isn't unbiased?
post #9 of 217
So you make a post about this...

But you completely ignore the post what? a WEEK ago? Where Google created a new anti-piracy measure (free for devs) for their apps, allowing them to "sign" them, and have those purchases checked against Android Market Records. Seriously, if you're going to report about android piracy, at least report what android is doing to prevent it.

Seriously, this is an APPLE BLOG. Stop posting about stuff not apple as 1) it has nothing to do with your products 2) you arn't taking the time to research the content, so you're making yourself look bad.

And Android apps have ALWAYS been linked to their gmail/google checkout account. The reason why piracy (up till now) was so easy for android was because of Google return policy, and the ability of android phones to install third party applications via sideloading. So an asshole could purchase an app on a phone, use a program like astro to "back it up." and then refund the purchase and install from the backup.

They then take the .apk (the app) and upload it to a warez site for others to install the same way.

This is negated by the new measure, which gives app authors the ability to make the app check the store at given intervals to make sure the Google account it's running on actually has a purchased version of the app.

If you're going to post a story, actually post a story. Don't just find the worst tidbit and harp on that while ignoring the actions ALREADY TAKEN to try and close the exploit you're talking on.
post #10 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Wow, Daniel Eran Dilger is going all out with his anti-Android articles. He currently is averaging at least one every day. At this rate there'll soon be more Android news on this site than Apple news. In fact so far today there are two Android articles but only one related to the Mac (and that is about Microsoft Office).

I suppose the real question is why? Has Daniel Eran Dilger got so little confidence in the iPhone that he feels it cannot stand on its own two feet and he must attack the competition to compensate? I have an iPhone. I bought it because I thought it was the best smartphone. I do not need articles like this to try and help me justify my purchase.

Please stop with these anti Google, anti Android articles and anti Microsoft articles and start posting more articles about Apple products. Thank you.

Whine whine whine whine. If you don't like his writing, read your apple news elsewhere. Articles comparing apples ios to competing operating systems make perfect sense for an apple blog. He's talking about Apples industry. Also, he's pointing out a valid point, not just aimlessly trashing android. Android has some benefits, but also has some problems, just like any system will.
post #11 of 217
Jailbreaking has a legitamate place. The android term ("becomming root?") is more appropriate to what most people want to do-- increase their control over the look, feel, and function of the device. There is nothing wrong with these goals, and it should be officially encouraged. (It will never be a dominant part of the population.)

Other activities, such as SIM unlocks, pirating of games, unfettered application control, etc., are considerably less cut and dry. Then the aspect of Apple's control over the platform comes in. How would we feel if Adobe started contributing to the Dev Team, and made a Flash app repository? If there is Flash on the iPhone, web applications have less pressure on them to improve platform independence. Is that good or bad..?
post #12 of 217
If Android's 886% growth YTY is one that has suffered from "undermining", one might ask how much growth there would have been without that restriction.

Of course, this is vintage Dilger anti-Android in action. But the more he does this, the less credible he becomes I suppose. Unless the reader's blinkers are permanently affixed, that is.

But I'm sure AI will milk his spin for all it's worth because the hits just keep on coming.
post #13 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Wow, Daniel Eran Dilger is going all out with his anti-Android articles. He currently is averaging at least one every day. At this rate there'll soon be more Android news on this site than Apple news. In fact so far today there are two Android articles but only one related to the Mac (and that is about Microsoft Office).

I suppose the real question is why? Has Daniel Eran Dilger got so little confidence in the iPhone that he feels it cannot stand on its own two feet and he must attack the competition to compensate? I have an iPhone. I bought it because I thought it was the best smartphone. I do not need articles like this to try and help me justify my purchase.

Please stop with these anti Google, anti Android articles and anti Microsoft articles and start posting more articles about Apple products. Thank you.

Perfectly valid (and I might add, interesting) article.

If you don't like articles like these, go somewhere else to get your Apple news.
post #14 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perfectly valid (and I might add, interesting) article.

If you don't like articles like these, go somewhere else to get your Apple news.

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. For instance, the headline might more properly be "Despite Android's 886% growth TYT, some enterprise security issues may hold back adoption." or words to that effect.

And as another poster pointed out, the very issue that Dilger uses to justify his headline has apparently been mitigated if not rendered moot already.

So either Dilger is being deliberately disingenuous (again) or he's incompetent.

I know which one I believe is the correct answer.

Most other contributors to the news page are more even handed in their pieces (except "Slash Lane" who appears to be a DED alias anyway), so getting news from AI is often informative and thought provoking. Dilger is an Apple flack, a click-baiting uber-apologist. As long as he posts rubbish like this, I'll feel entitled to call him on it.

But if you enjoy his offerings, then my opinions obviously won't change that.
post #15 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

So you make a post about this...

But you completely ignore the post what? a WEEK ago? Where Google created a new anti-piracy measure (free for devs) for their apps, allowing them to "sign" them, and have those purchases checked against Android Market Records. Seriously, if you're going to report about android piracy, at least report what android is doing to prevent it.

Seriously, this is an APPLE BLOG. Stop posting about stuff not apple as 1) it has nothing to do with your products 2) you arn't taking the time to research the content, so you're making yourself look bad.

And Android apps have ALWAYS been linked to their gmail/google checkout account. The reason why piracy (up till now) was so easy for android was because of Google return policy, and the ability of android phones to install third party applications via sideloading. So an asshole could purchase an app on a phone, use a program like astro to "back it up." and then refund the purchase and install from the backup.

They then take the .apk (the app) and upload it to a warez site for others to install the same way.

This is negated by the new measure, which gives app authors the ability to make the app check the store at given intervals to make sure the Google account it's running on actually has a purchased version of the app.

If you're going to post a story, actually post a story. Don't just find the worst tidbit and harp on that while ignoring the actions ALREADY TAKEN to try and close the exploit you're talking on.

Good points (and likely to be ignored here). It's not really about how much piracy stunts Android's 10-fold YTY growth -- rather, the purpose of this and similar articles is to create negative attitudes towards opening up of Apple's ecosystem through the legalized jailbreaking. Android is simply being used as a scarecrow, much like the virus-ridden Windows.
post #16 of 217
Comment retracted, couldn't find a delete button.
post #17 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. For instance, the headline might more properly be "Despite Android's 886% growth TYT, some enterprise security issues may hold back adoption." or words to that effect.

And as another poster pointed out, the very issue that Dilger uses to justify his headline has apparently been mitigated if not rendered moot already.

So either Dilger is being deliberately disingenuous (again) or he's incompetent.

I know which one I believe is the correct answer.

Most other contributors to the news page are more even handed in their pieces (except "Slash Lane" who appears to be a DED alias anyway), so getting news from AI is often informative and thought provoking. Dilger is an Apple flack, a click-baiting uber-apologist. As long as he posts rubbish like this, I'll feel entitled to call him on it.

But if you enjoy his offerings, then my opinions obviously won't change that.

Since when do articles by definition HAVE to be balanced?? At what point were the Watergate articles - balanced? Or any other article???? Really?

And app signing is only part of the answer - note also that Google is piece-mealing Android solutions, not developing a coherent approach - its patchwork and a hell of a way to manage a platform as promising as Android is. I wasn't at all sanguine about Google buying up Android in the first place, but all the fanboys are blinkered by the flow of money into building it out rapidly to keep adding features. The problem for Android smartphone owners beyond the obvious ones are the slow uptake of revisions by the carriers being pushed out to the existing base, and the need to constantly buy new hardware to keep up with the revisions. I am concerned that Android will go the way of netbooks - a flooded market with lots of units, but little brand loyalty to Android itself.

Oh wait. Sorry. I forgot completely about the actual short answer to your entry: UserCP>Edit ignore list>Chopper>Save. All taken care of.
post #18 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

So you make a post about this...

But you completely ignore the post what? a WEEK ago? Where Google created a new anti-piracy measure (free for devs) for their apps, allowing them to "sign" them, and have those purchases checked against Android Market Records. Seriously, if you're going to report about android piracy, at least report what android is doing to prevent it.

Seriously, this is an APPLE BLOG. Stop posting about stuff not apple as 1) it has nothing to do with your products 2) you arn't taking the time to research the content, so you're making yourself look bad.

And Android apps have ALWAYS been linked to their gmail/google checkout account. The reason why piracy (up till now) was so easy for android was because of Google return policy, and the ability of android phones to install third party applications via sideloading. So an asshole could purchase an app on a phone, use a program like astro to "back it up." and then refund the purchase and install from the backup.

They then take the .apk (the app) and upload it to a warez site for others to install the same way.

This is negated by the new measure, which gives app authors the ability to make the app check the store at given intervals to make sure the Google account it's running on actually has a purchased version of the app.

If you're going to post a story, actually post a story. Don't just find the worst tidbit and harp on that while ignoring the actions ALREADY TAKEN to try and close the exploit you're talking on.

There is just one major flaw with Google's anti-piracy strategy: it conflicts with their upgrade strategy. This measure won't be able to be used on the vast majority of current Android devices, as they will never see software upgrades to future versions of Android. And developers are clearly going to use the anti-piracy functions (it would be stupid if they didn't) which locks out their software to at minimum the release which introduced this fix.
post #19 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

So you make a post about this...

But you completely ignore the post what? a WEEK ago? Where Google created a new anti-piracy measure (free for devs) for their apps, allowing them to "sign" them, and have those purchases checked against Android Market Records. Seriously, if you're going to report about android piracy, at least report what android is doing to prevent it.

Seriously, this is an APPLE BLOG. Stop posting about stuff not apple as 1) it has nothing to do with your products 2) you arn't taking the time to research the content, so you're making yourself look bad.

And Android apps have ALWAYS been linked to their gmail/google checkout account. The reason why piracy (up till now) was so easy for android was because of Google return policy, and the ability of android phones to install third party applications via sideloading. So an asshole could purchase an app on a phone, use a program like astro to "back it up." and then refund the purchase and install from the backup.

They then take the .apk (the app) and upload it to a warez site for others to install the same way.

This is negated by the new measure, which gives app authors the ability to make the app check the store at given intervals to make sure the Google account it's running on actually has a purchased version of the app.

If you're going to post a story, actually post a story. Don't just find the worst tidbit and harp on that while ignoring the actions ALREADY TAKEN to try and close the exploit you're talking on.

What I LOVE are the apologists who come and say - "well that was taken care of a week ago" (app signing), which has actually been a solution available for the entire life of Android - but they CHOSE not to do it - until problems cropped up. This is of course is natural as Android is such a new OS - oh wait it's "older than iOS" isn't it. Because if they had enforced app signing to begin with they couldn't have crowed about being COMPLETELY OPEN. Yeah. SO much better.

For the average consumer the whole freedom meme is a complete and idiotic wash - it's only chanted by the leets who are the current wave of Android champions - and who incidentally LOVE the intensely robotic Droid commercials as well. No, Google is smart and they will drive as much uptake of Android as they can to support their entry into the mobile space ad business, and then spin it off to play with the rest of the Open Source community. Android is being used and abused by Google and the leets are loving every minute of it, because the rest of Linux is languishing under the Windows hegemony. This is the last great hope for those who want to see any variant of Linux gain significant marketshare in any space. THIS is why Android must succeed and gain more marketshare than Apple. Except Apple isn't about marketshare, it's about profits - something Android developers aren't seeing a whole lot of right now.
post #20 of 217
Cha-ching!!!!

Oh, wait....
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #21 of 217
hehe.. just reading the bias headline I guessed the author.
That at least is consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Whine whine whine whine. If you don't like his writing, read your apple news elsewhere. Articles comparing apples ios to competing operating systems make perfect sense for an apple blog. He's talking about Apples industry. Also, he's pointing out a valid point, not just aimlessly trashing android. Android has some benefits, but also has some problems, just like any system will.

Absolutely Android has some benefits but also some problems, and that's a valid point.

It's just that Daniel's articles are a significant different quality to the rest of AppleInsider.
They are
  • longer & highly detailed
  • usually highly researched
  • full of very pro-Apple spin

AI was more about sorting out likely rumours and expanding on those with insight, and articles about the future of Apple generally. My favourite place to go for a great insight into where things are going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perfectly valid (and I might add, interesting) article.

If you don't like articles like these, go somewhere else to get your Apple news.

Yes it's interesting, but I truly believe that a balanced article does more to support Apple than a biased one.

I know you weren't responding to me - but Daniel came late to AppleInsider. I read his roughlydrafted website too though, knowing the bias. I just now have to be careful that if an AI article says "Android having trouble with X" if it's the main crew I know Android is truly having trouble, if it's Daniel then it's his strongly held opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. For instance, the headline might more properly be "Despite Android's 886% growth TYT, some enterprise security issues may hold back adoption." or words to that effect.

And as another poster pointed out, the very issue that Dilger uses to justify his headline has apparently been mitigated if not rendered moot already.

So either Dilger is being deliberately disingenuous (again) or he's incompetent.

He's just a huge fan of Apple.
I have just always found that telling both sides is more useful.
It is a preference though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Since when do articles by definition HAVE to be balanced?? At what point were the Watergate articles - balanced? Or any other article???? Really?

Fair enough. For me, it's just my expectation of AppleInsider, and managing that.

I'd actually be perfectly happy if his articles were highlighted in some way - they are quite different to other AI articles.
post #22 of 217
The solution to Apple's jailbreaking for a majority is expanding carriers in the U.S.A. to T-Mobile and Verizon. There would be not need for jailbreaking for the majority. If I bought an iPhone I'd jailbreak it to get onto T-Mobile.

Apple just needs to keep locking the iOS for every update. That's annoying for most non-techie users to just toe-the-line. The rest may eventually just switch phones.
post #23 of 217
90% in asia, 70% in Europe, 40% in US?

This either makes me very glad about level US morality or very sad about the level of US tech education, sadly I think it's the latter.

Either way 40% is still way too high, and i hope it never gets that bad on the app store.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #24 of 217
Quote:
hehe.. just reading the bias headline I guessed the author.

I'd actually be perfectly happy if his articles were highlighted in some way - they are quite different to other AI articles.

This is not biased this is a real concern for developers. his posts dont need to be highlighted just open link and check the name, its not that hard.
post #25 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Since when do articles by definition HAVE to be balanced?? At what point were the Watergate articles - balanced? Or any other article???? Really?

And app signing is only part of the answer - note also that Google is piece-mealing Android solutions, not developing a coherent approach - its patchwork and a hell of a way to manage a platform as promising as Android is. I wasn't at all sanguine about Google buying up Android in the first place, but all the fanboys are blinkered by the flow of money into building it out rapidly to keep adding features. The problem for Android smartphone owners beyond the obvious ones are the slow uptake of revisions by the carriers being pushed out to the existing base, and the need to constantly buy new hardware to keep up with the revisions. I am concerned that Android will go the way of netbooks - a flooded market with lots of units, but little brand loyalty to Android itself.

Oh wait. Sorry. I forgot completely about the actual short answer to your entry: UserCP>Edit ignore list>Chopper>Save. All taken care of.

Well I'm sorry that you've chosen to ignore my posts, but it's your choice and since you won't be reading this anyway, you won't see that I think your second paragraph is thought-provoking if marred by the non-sequiturs it contains. If you hadn't put me on ignore, then we might all be witness to your arguments supporting your position, but alas, now we'll never know. Pity.

Yes, it's my opinion, as are the words you wrote, and it's hopefully a forum where our reasoned opinions may be expressed without offence. Just to clarify, a piece that is blatantly one sided is a commentary, or an opinion piece. It should be clearly identified as such, whereas this Dilger piece appears on the AI "News" section. The reader is entitled to expect then that this piece is news, not a hatchet job pretending to be news.

I don't know what passes for articles where you live, but in NZ something that is op ed is expected to be flagged as such, and where there is a lack of balance in a piece that appears to be a news report or an article, our media can be forced to publish a retraction.

If you believe that a piece that contains deliberately misleading, inflammatory and or obviously biased "reporting" is still an article, then fill your boots. I believe in calling "spin", "spin".
post #26 of 217
The bigger question is why do so many people think it is ok to pirate this software? They are shooting themselves in the foot doing it.
post #27 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

There is just one major flaw with Google's anti-piracy strategy: it conflicts with their upgrade strategy. This measure won't be able to be used on the vast majority of current Android devices, as they will never see software upgrades to future versions of Android. And developers are clearly going to use the anti-piracy functions (it would be stupid if they didn't) which locks out their software to at minimum the release which introduced this fix.



Googles anti-piracy strategy is based on preexisting data that they've had in the system for awhile now.

This isn't "in android" it's all server side. All app developers need to do is implement the code in their programs and push out an update. It works on all phones 1.5 or higher. Aka ALL of them.
post #28 of 217
I'm wondering why DED is talking so much about Android piracy instead of trying to focus on how Apple's security was breached to allow the jailbreak exploit.

John Gruber has some musings from Charlie Miller on the subject:

Quote:
Starting to get a handle on jailbreakme.com exploit. Very beautiful work. Scary how it totally defeats Apples security architecture.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/08/02/jailbreakme
post #29 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I suppose the real question is why? Has Daniel Eran Dilger got so little confidence in the iPhone that he feels it cannot stand on its own two feet and he must attack the competition to compensate?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the trolls now completely own this site. Who wants to read articles about Apple when the only ones here are Apple critics. You have to cater to your core users don't you and AppleInsider's core constituents are Android supporters and Apple haters now. Any Apple article with even a hint of the positive is pounced upon. So why not write about Android?
post #30 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

What I LOVE are the apologists who come and say - "well that was taken care of a week ago" (app signing), which has actually been a solution available for the entire life of Android - but they CHOSE not to do it - until problems cropped up. This is of course is natural as Android is such a new OS - oh wait it's "older than iOS" isn't it. Because if they had enforced app signing to begin with they couldn't have crowed about being COMPLETELY OPEN. Yeah. SO much better.

For the average consumer the whole freedom meme is a complete and idiotic wash - it's only chanted by the leets who are the current wave of Android champions - and who incidentally LOVE the intensely robotic Droid commercials as well. No, Google is smart and they will drive as much uptake of Android as they can to support their entry into the mobile space ad business, and then spin it off to play with the rest of the Open Source community. Android is being used and abused by Google and the leets are loving every minute of it, because the rest of Linux is languishing under the Windows hegemony. This is the last great hope for those who want to see any variant of Linux gain significant marketshare in any space. THIS is why Android must succeed and gain more marketshare than Apple. Except Apple isn't about marketshare, it's about profits - something Android developers aren't seeing a whole lot of right now.

Actually they had other methods of attempted copy protection before this. Unfortunately it artificially increased the app size, and obviously a lot of people found a workaround. And app signing has NOTHING to do with being open as an OS, it never has been. But then again, I wouldn't expect you to understand that because it requires thinking in something other than irrational absolutes.

And you completely missed the entire point of my post which was Apple insider shouldn't be posting this trash because it has NOTHING to do with Apple except in passing, and the reason it was posted was to justify iOS, which, according to apple fans, requires no justification.

It's just another attempt at mud-slinging "journalism." I started posting here because Apple insider started showing up in my Android RSS feeds they're posting so much about it. So I came to read. They don't even attempt at looking at android, they only post stuff if they can somehow mock it, which.. I'll say it again, is completely pointless when you're on a site called APPLE INSIDER.

They should go back to posting apple news.
post #31 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexor View Post

The bigger question is why do so many people think it is ok to pirate this software? They are shooting themselves in the foot doing it.

Piracy can create markets too.

People use a given piece of software, primarily because everyone else is using it. The more people who use something, the more that other people will use it. Rampant piracy creates an installed base that the people who always do pay for their software will naturally drift towards.
post #32 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

This is not biased this is a real concern for developers.

It's probably both!

It's just a shame that his detail is usually so good while his overviews and sweeping statements are so pro-Apple.

Quote:
his posts dont need to be highlighted just open link and check the name, its not that hard.

Yep. But it's only people who take the time to understand the authors on AppleInsider who can just check the name.
post #33 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the trolls now completely own this site. Who wants to read articles about Apple when the only ones here are Apple critics. You have to cater to your core users don't you and AppleInsider's core constituents are Android supporters and Apple haters now. Any Apple article with even a hint of the positive is pounced upon. So why not write about Android?

Maybe because apple insider started posting snotty android articles, and they posted them frequently enough that they started showing up in RSS search feeds looking for android news.

Posting poorly researched anti-android op-ed articles will only increase the number of trolls. You don't fight trolls by feeding them.
post #34 of 217
Note to Developers:

Android users are Cheap Penny Pinching Freeloaders. They don't buy Apps.




There is no money in ANDROID.



Report: 98.9% Of Downloads On The Android Market Are Free

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/03...989-free-apps/

Android Market a haven for cheapskates

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...en_cheapskates

Male Android Cheapskates To Dominate Mobile Market

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/27/male...mobile-market/



post #35 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Piracy can create markets too.

People sue a given piece of software, primarily because everyone else is using it. The more people who use something, the more that other people will use it. Rampant piracy creates an installed base that the people who always do pay for their software will naturally drift towards.

No, it creates a pirate market and creates a disincentive for developers to continue developing that product.

By your argument, Music piracy increases CD sales since so many people pirating the album will cause people who do pay for CD's to buy that album. Except it doesn't work like that.

Piracy has no justification. 70% of people pirating an app doesn't cause a ton of people to buy that app.
post #36 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Note to Developers:

Android users are Cheap Penny Pinching Freeloaders. They don't buy Apps.




There is no money in ANDROID.



Report: 98.9% Of Downloads On The Android Market Are Free

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/03...989-free-apps/

Android Market a haven for cheapskates

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...en_cheapskates

Male Android Cheapskates To Dominate Mobile Market

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/27/male...mobile-market/




You keep posting the same trash time and time again.

Find another tune to sing.

The android market is hard to monetize on a consumer end as well. It's NOT all users. Seriously. Yes, there are a lot of cheapskates, but what percentage of downloads from the app store (discounting music and movies) are free? People are cheapskates.

The primary issue with paid apps on the market is the market application itself. It's VERY hard to find quality paid applications unless you know specifically what you're looking for. This is one of the reasons blogs go out of their way to post QR codes for every app they review.
post #37 of 217
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Was just a freight train coming your way
post #38 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Note to Developers:

Android users are Cheap Penny Pinching Freeloaders. They don't buy Apps.




There is no money in ANDROID.



Report: 98.9% Of Downloads On The Android Market Are Free

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/03...989-free-apps/

Android Market a haven for cheapskates

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...en_cheapskates

Male Android Cheapskates To Dominate Mobile Market

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/27/male...mobile-market/




Are you over here causing trouble, Dave?
post #39 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Are you over here causing trouble, Dave?

he needs to make a point to cause trouble
post #40 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. For instance, the headline might more properly be "Despite Android's 886% growth TYT, some enterprise security issues may hold back adoption." or words to that effect.

And as another poster pointed out, the very issue that Dilger uses to justify his headline has apparently been mitigated if not rendered moot already.

So either Dilger is being deliberately disingenuous (again) or he's incompetent.

I know which one I believe is the correct answer.

Most other contributors to the news page are more even handed in their pieces (except "Slash Lane" who appears to be a DED alias anyway), so getting news from AI is often informative and thought provoking. Dilger is an Apple flack, a click-baiting uber-apologist. As long as he posts rubbish like this, I'll feel entitled to call him on it.

But if you enjoy his offerings, then my opinions obviously won't change that.

Give me a break, at least he is well informed and has valid points.

There is non-stop Apple bashing in the press with people saying the most stupid and uninformed things. On top of that there are just as many asinine articles saying how absolutely perfect the Android phones are glossing over any negatives.

And by the way the problems have not been resolved.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone