or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone - Page 3

post #81 of 217
Deleted

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Reply

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Reply
post #82 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Hey Menno - go FK yourself! Daniel hit the nail on the head and you have no clue what you are talking about. The fact of the matter is that it is the techtards that are gravitating to Android and are trying to beat the system and steal the content. Your description of what has been going on exactly reinforces that point. Who are you a paid shill for anyway?

Oh really? So if I made a post and posted it on "android insider" about how the iphone can't multi-task and has a low resolution screen, I would be hitting the nail on the head even though I completely missed the apple announcement that addressed the very things I was talking about?

He is talking about android app security, but misses the latest news about... wait for it... ANDROID APP SECURITY. The update Google announced DIRECTLY addresses the issue Daniel mentioned and was literally on every android blog and most tech blogs over a week ago.

He also said that apple gets around this by having app purchases linked to an itunes id.. how do you think paid apps are tracked in the marketplace?

If I am a paid shill, you're Steve Jobs. I'm an android, and macOSX user who's getting sick and tired of having AI android-trash "news" posts show up in my Android News RSS feed instead of them writing about the company that's in their name. This is APPLE INSIDER. Not "we bash anything but apple" insider. How long will it be before they report on the apple news that happened today (I'll give you a hint, it's about the dangers of the new jailbreaking exploit)

The guy saw a potential smear campaign against android and he jumped for it without even doing a google/bing/whatever search to make sure he had the most accurate information. His article was poorly researched, has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this website's theme, and completely omits data to make their point.
post #83 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Oh really? So if I made a post and posted it on "android insider" about how the iphone can't multi-task and has a low resolution screen, I would be hitting the nail on the head even though I completely missed the apple announcement that addressed the very things I was talking about?

He is talking about android app security, but misses the latest news about... wait for it... ANDROID APP SECURITY. The update Google announced DIRECTLY addresses the issue Daniel mentioned and was literally on every android blog and most tech blogs over a week ago.

He also said that apple gets around this by having app purchases linked to an itunes id.. how do you think paid apps are tracked in the marketplace?

If I am a paid shill, you're Steve Jobs. I'm an android, and macOSX user who's getting sick and tired of having AI android-trash "news" posts show up in my Android News RSS feed instead of them writing about the company that's in their name. This is APPLE INSIDER. Not "we bash anything but apple" insider. How long will it be before they report on the apple news that happened today (I'll give you a hint, it's about the dangers of the new jailbreaking exploit)

The guy saw a potential smear campaign against android and he jumped for it without even doing a google/bing/whatever search to make sure he had the most accurate information. His article was poorly researched, has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this website's theme, and completely omits data to make their point.

Well Menno, as a very happy iP4 owner, and Mac fan, I have to say that I'm a bit humbled by your point of view. Well said. Certainly gave me a different perspective.

It seriously irritates me that the the X-haters (on BOTH sides) have turned this into some kind of mob-scene where there has to be one winner. You want your Android RSS-feeds "clean", well I would like the same for my Apple-feeds too. There are just as many Apple fanboys that are as guilty as the Phandroids in displaying absolute child-like behavior. I blame the media on both sides for flaming this to be some kind of holy-war and spinning their stories to further their propoganda cause. It seriously sickens me.

On a more positive note, here we are in what is basically a wireless revolution. I believe there should be gratitude to Apple for successfully throwing a crowbar into the stodgy machinery called the "wireless industry" and opening up a new field for other players. I'm very impressed with the race-car pace of innovation going on from both sides.

But like some sports, these forums are infested (on both sides) by the sports-version of "Hooligans" that take it too far.

So I do side with you. I want my news unbiased and given as simple news. I long for those days. Unfortunately, the media salivates and the quick-and-easy web-hits to bring in the crowds. Sadly, I don't see that changing any time soon.
post #84 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Excellent platform for whom? The average consumer? I dont think so. For tinkering youth it seems great but so is a jailbroken iOS device and other platforms.

Case in point, I was asked just today for an Android app that would facilitate moving pics from the phone to a PC. Id expect it to built in feature but the fact that its not simple enough that I was even asked is telling.

So Android has some major issues. Its not acceptable for corporate use nor consumer friendly like other mobile OSes that are designed by vendors, and now you say its greatest asset, being a modern App Phone, is the weakest part of the entire Android setup when i thought it was the strongest thing it had going for it. That pretty much makes its use and popularity based on the fact that its free.

Android's popularity is based primarily on one thing - it is on Verizon and iOS devices aren't. And I don't think you can say Android is consumer friendly with 800+ percent growth. Consumers have adapted to the mess that is Windows. Comparatively Android is a piece of cake.
post #85 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Jailbreaking has a legitamate place. The android term ("becomming root?") is more appropriate to what most people want to do-- increase their control over the look, feel, and function of the device. There is nothing wrong with these goals, and it should be officially encouraged. (It will never be a dominant part of the population.)

Other activities, such as SIM unlocks, pirating of games, unfettered application control, etc., are considerably less cut and dry. Then the aspect of Apple's control over the platform comes in. How would we feel if Adobe started contributing to the Dev Team, and made a Flash app repository? If there is Flash on the iPhone, web applications have less pressure on them to improve platform independence. Is that good or bad..?

The thing is, once you jailbreak, it is an absolutely trivial matter to go from that to app piracy. It's literally a few taps away once you jailbreak.

I appreciate jailbreaking and the non-pirating uses of that, that's cool. Just that the temptation to just whack in you-know-what-Stallous and access all the apps for free, is one big temptation.

Jailbreaking is a gateway drug, in that sense. For better or worse...? I don't know.
post #86 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

actually they don't. most people who pirate do so to avoid paying. And those albums would be popular without pirating. they were pirated because those people wanted popular albums

It's been well documented that people who pirate buy more music than people who don't.

You should do some reading:

http://boingboing.net/2007/11/02/p2p...uy-more-m.html
http://techgeist.net/2009/04/why-pir...es-its-a-fact/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...buy-more-music
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Pirate-F...news-5001.html
http://boingboing.net/2009/11/01/hea...al-downlo.html
post #87 of 217
Quote:
In addition to its limited reach globally, Google's Android Market has also come under assault from top Android developers for allowing widespread copyright infringement, sloppy policies regarding app approval, poor security for users' data, and allowing developers to collect inappropriate information from users without their consent.

The above paragraph, from the original article by DED, contains 3 links. The 2nd and 3rd links are to other articles by DED. They, in turn, contain links to other articles by... wait for it... DED (or his alias Prince McClean). Each article has DED's own unique style of reporting.


Daisy chain, anyone?

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #88 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You keep posting the same trash time and time again.

Find another tune to sing.

The android market is hard to monetize on a consumer end as well. It's NOT all users. Seriously. Yes, there are a lot of cheapskates, but what percentage of downloads from the app store (discounting music and movies) are free? People are cheapskates.

The primary issue with paid apps on the market is the market application itself. It's VERY hard to find quality paid applications unless you know specifically what you're looking for. This is one of the reasons blogs go out of their way to post QR codes for every app they review.


You slam the user for singing the same old song, but the song is still relevant. It shows (clear as day) that most Android users go for the free stuff, which does lend credence to the piracy angle. Notice as well, that those numbers are provided from AdMob, who (as we all know) is owned by Google. There is no slant to be had when it is as plain as day. The fact that you don't see it or you want to dismiss it, doesn't mean that it is not valid. As far as the Android articles go, it is relevant to this site since that is part of Apple's competition. Just like when I see Apple related articles on an Android site. They are relevant to each other.
post #89 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... So Android has some major issues. Its not acceptable for corporate use nor consumer friendly like other mobile OSes that are designed by vendors, and now you say its greatest asset, being a modern App Phone, is the weakest part of the entire Android setup when i thought it was the strongest thing it had going for it. That pretty much makes its use and popularity based on the fact that its free.

Well, why should it be different than anything else Google does? Actually, I don't think 'free' is accurate. I'm pretty sure that Google pays handset makers, and maybe carriers, to use Android.
post #90 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

... The Android platform is measured by the number of HW devices running Android. The iPhone platform is measured by the number of iPhones running iOS. Quite simple really...

Interesting discrepancy here. So, for Android, we count 'devices', but for iOS (that's the platform name) we only count iPhones? Why don't we count iOS 'devices'? We are after all talking about developer issues here, not carrier wars, or something where it matters whether a 'device' is a phone or not.
post #91 of 217
Android has only been around for a fraction of the time the iPhone has been around, and look how much market share they've already taken in that short amount of time.

Does their app store have some problems? Sure, and so does Apple's. But again, Android has only been around as a serious smart phone contender for a fraction of the amount of time that the iPhone has been around.

Give it more time and they'll fix things. This article is just pointing out a problem at a specific point in time, it doesn't mean the death of Android by any means.

Do you really think Google doesn't know about this issue? They're constantly making improvements to their OS and its entire environment. It's just going to get better and better, and has the potential to be just as big as if not bigger than anything else. But then again, it also has a chance NOT to. You just don't know what's going to happen, you can't fortell the future.

But while these articles are informative a lot of you take them to mean "Well, Android will never be as good as Apple, ha ha!" If you think this way you're a fool.
post #92 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

Google is ONLY interested in shoveling out as many android licesnses as possible to get the Google search bar out there - beyond that, they don't care, does it matter that every Android phoen has a different OS & OS face? Is the Google search bar working? DONE. People grabbing your personal info? Sure, we'll remotely shut them down AFTERWARDS ... hey, you're running a free Linux OS - you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Maybe you should actually pick up and android phone, or at least read about it from someone who knows what android does (aka, not this site) before you shove your other foot in your mouth.

Yeah, he has no idea what he's talking about. Google uses Android to spy on you in all sorts of ways, not just search!
post #93 of 217
It's a good article I think. I certainly enjoyed reading it and it confirmed my suspicions.

Google don't care about anyone else making money. If anything they want everything to be free, or rather paid for by their advertising. I.e., they make the money and no-one else does.

Seems to me you'd have to be mad to invest in an Android app.

I think we'll see the real quality stuff coming out on the Apple platform, with everyone else drowning in a sea of mediocre home-made apps.

I'd be tempted to have a look at Android but it looks too messy to me and it's not going to pay the bills.
post #94 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

So you make a post about this...

But you completely ignore the post what? a WEEK ago? Where Google created a new anti-piracy measure (free for devs) for their apps, allowing them to "sign" them, and have those purchases checked against Android Market Records. Seriously, if you're going to report about android piracy, at least report what android is doing to prevent it.

Seriously, this is an APPLE BLOG. Stop posting about stuff not apple as 1) it has nothing to do with your products 2) you arn't taking the time to research the content, so you're making yourself look bad.

And Android apps have ALWAYS been linked to their gmail/google checkout account. The reason why piracy (up till now) was so easy for android was because of Google return policy, and the ability of android phones to install third party applications via sideloading. So an asshole could purchase an app on a phone, use a program like astro to "back it up." and then refund the purchase and install from the backup.

They then take the .apk (the app) and upload it to a warez site for others to install the same way.

This is negated by the new measure, which gives app authors the ability to make the app check the store at given intervals to make sure the Google account it's running on actually has a purchased version of the app.

If you're going to post a story, actually post a story. Don't just find the worst tidbit and harp on that while ignoring the actions ALREADY TAKEN to try and close the exploit you're talking on.

Please , Go to the Android Sites. Tell them the same thing.
Tell them to stop posting about the iPhone and completely ignoring the truth.
A few examples are below:
Phandroid
ancroidcentral
droidforums.net

The Phone bashing is really getting out of control its sad that people just read
something on a forum and dont look at the device themselves.
I am using an iPhone 3G now but migrating to a Droid X simply becuase we are moving to Verizon.
Im really Hoping the iPhone makes its way to Verizon.

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

Reply

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

Reply
post #95 of 217
I'd say to those that are critical of 'anti Android articles' (their terminology not mine ... and various other products we love to hate) need to remember as with Windows, Apple enthusiasts have a totally legitimate right to by critical of and poke fun at things that are total rip off of Apple products but fail in so many ways. No iPod no Zune and the same will apply to any new Microsoft 'Slate" aka rip off of iPad. Had there been no Mac OS there would be no Winblows, had there been no iPhone there would be no Android and we all know what a heap of crap MS had planned for their tablet, so bad even they scrapped it. There is no negative mention of products that are original on AI be they good or bad but anything simply copied from Apple is totally fair game and in context IMHO. Heck even movies made by Pixar were copied asap by rival film studios. I can't imagine what a boring world this would be without good old Steve. So keep the articles like this coming they help offset the annoyance at the rip off merchants that dilute AAPL. (Please spare me the "AAAPL benefits from the competition" line)
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #96 of 217

I've done lots of reading. Now you should do some thinking.

Those figures are irrelevant. All they show is that the same people who steal music are (as a group) the same people who buy CDs. So younger people are the ones who buy CDs and also the ones who steal CDs. BFD.

It says nothing about how many CDs those people would be buying if they DIDN'T steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangtickboom View Post

Android has only been around for a fraction of the time the iPhone has been around, and look how much market share they've already taken in that short amount of time.

That's true. The fraction is about 9/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post

Don't forget this apple forum site; we have to help apple and comment about how apple products are just better. It really doesn't matter the Android is becoming better or more attractive choice or if it keeps growing in market share.
That's what the author of this post is doing. This is not an objective discussion.
The IPhone 4 is the best phone

That's absolutely untrue. Reasoned discussion is welcome. Just not the mindless, shrill "Apple sux" nonsense that most of the trolls here spew.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #97 of 217
Google don't care about its android store. They don't care about charging anyone for the Android license.


What do they care about? They want millions of devices running their OS so that they can feed those millions adverts and data mine those users and sell their data.
post #98 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Actually he's not informed. He missed a key release about android app security (that works for all OS releases out there right now) that addresses the piracy issue.

And we're not talking about those other articles, because those articles are invariably on an android centric site. this is an APPLE site, why do they continuously post crap about android?

to see what this site is saying about Android - and then take issue with?
post #99 of 217
This reminds me of a cool game for iOS Epic Win which is yet to be released within weeks. Of course Android users want it on their Android phones, but from their posts to developers website, it is clear me to they dont want to PAY for anything. More than half of them say make it a free web app.

This is the problem Android faces, users who are happier stealing content, or simply dont want to pay for anything. I believe it is a cultural, generational problem and I think it beyond Googles ability to solve.
post #100 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm wondering why DED is talking so much about Android piracy instead of trying to focus on how Apple's security was breached to allow the jailbreak exploit.

John Gruber has some musings from Charlie Miller on the subject:



http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/08/02/jailbreakme

according to the latest posting - perhaps Flash isn't the only "bag of hurt" that Adobe creates for the mobile platforms.
post #101 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Piracy can create markets too.

People use a given piece of software, primarily because everyone else is using it. The more people who use something, the more that other people will use it. Rampant piracy creates an installed base that the people who always do pay for their software will naturally drift towards.

Well if all you are concerned about is creating markets then the door is wide open! Theft and larceny involve billions of grey- and black-market dollars, so let's throw our support behind these efforts. Because that is the logical end to that argument. And why the Asia and European regions see so much activity around piracy, theft and other questionable acitivity. The dark nasty side to all of this is loss of revenue to those who create the items being stolen, and the loss of resources to create them in the first place, not to mention the loss of motiviation to do so. Unless the developer has decided to simply release it for free - then you aren't really really pirating it are you.
post #102 of 217
yeah the people who pirate buy more music is rubbish. Why not take a country or two as examples? In Spain and Brazil everyone pirates. But guess what? Nobody buys. So much so in fact that both countries have almost no music industry anymore and bands have zero chance of being signed and zero chance of every making a living in music.
post #103 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Actually they had other methods of attempted copy protection before this. Unfortunately it artificially increased the app size, and obviously a lot of people found a workaround. And app signing has NOTHING to do with being open as an OS, it never has been. But then again, I wouldn't expect you to understand that because it requires thinking in something other than irrational absolutes.

And you completely missed the entire point of my post which was Apple insider shouldn't be posting this trash because it has NOTHING to do with Apple except in passing, and the reason it was posted was to justify iOS, which, according to apple fans, requires no justification.

It's just another attempt at mud-slinging "journalism." I started posting here because Apple insider started showing up in my Android RSS feeds they're posting so much about it. So I came to read. They don't even attempt at looking at android, they only post stuff if they can somehow mock it, which.. I'll say it again, is completely pointless when you're on a site called APPLE INSIDER.

They should go back to posting apple news.

First and foremost who the heck are you to say what AI posts or doesn't post?? Google has placed itself as a direct competitor to the iOS/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad ecosystem, not only in smartphones but just announced in the development of tablets as well. How the heck ISN'T that relevant??

And of course they had other tools they could bring to bear on the app piracy issue, including app signing - but in order to protect the PERCEPTION of openness they had to be circumspect around doing that since so much of their criticism of the iOS ecosystem depends heavily on that perception. But when needs demand it they are quick enough to slap down the controls that they should have used in the first place.

You are the one with irrationality issues here, not I. Your posts drip of Android fanboyism and yet you persist in trying to call out criticisms on what is an unabashedly Apple supporting site - talk about a lesson in futility - and yet here you are. Still.

What is that assessment of doing the samething over and over, yet expecting a different result? Indicates a questionable mental state doesn't it??

We get all kinds of Android RSS crawlers coming in here to defend the platform, who prefer to ignore the very real challenges of the platform, the real agenda driving the sugar-daddy Google that is pouring money into it just to build out their presence in mobile ad business - and once that is established will drop it as they have dropped so many other projects that they got bored with.

If the platform is as golden as you and the other fanboys keep claiming in here, where is the money? Where are the hoards of devs abandoning Apple app store to dev only for Android? Non-existent? Of course. You get a nice body of cross-over dev work - as they port their apps to Android AS WELL (not exclusively), because they want wider exposure - but if Google ever tried to insist on exclusivity by the devs - they would be laughed at! The Android app monetization for devs is pathetically underdeveloped and not functionally improving in the near-term.

I was a supporter of Android until Google bought it - and I knew precisely WHY they bought it and what it was going to be used for. But if I tried to call that out, I was shouted down by the giddy other supporters who only saw the money Google promised to throw at Android to make it a major player in the mobile market. You apparently are one of those who can't see the strings being pulled and what will happen, and it WILL happen, when Google has sucked all the advantage out of Android and then drops it for something better at making money for them. They ahve a track record of doing that - so it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. And unless Android has enough internal fortitude to maintain itself in the competitive mobile markets it will go the way of Windows Mobile and the other players that have seen the impacts of RIM, Apple and the current Android influences.
post #104 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Google don't care about its android store. They don't care about charging anyone for the Android license.


What do they care about? They want millions of devices running their OS so that they can feed those millions adverts and data mine those users and sell their data.

Just take a look at the Android ad prominently featured at the top of this supposedly Apple centric web site for confirmation.
post #105 of 217
Piracy problems undermine ALL platforms. No platform has solved the piracy problem, other than running software in the cloud. Google has been pushing cloud computing for years, and Apple and Microsoft are moving in that direction.

It's silly to argue about one failed DRM scheme being better than another failed DRM scheme.

AI glossed over this story in January, but several different iPhone developers implemented "phone home" functions and found that the App Store piracy rate was as high as 90%. Piracy rates increased with the cost of the app. The original (detailed) article is here, clearly both platforms have work to do...
post #106 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Piracy problems undermine ALL platforms. No platform has solved the piracy problem, other than running software in the cloud. Google has been pushing cloud computing for years, and Apple and Microsoft are moving in that direction.

It's silly to argue about one failed DRM scheme being better than another failed DRM scheme.

AI glossed over this story in January, but several different iPhone developers implemented "phone home" functions and found that the App Store piracy rate was as high as 90%. Piracy rates increased with the cost of the app. The original (detailed) article is here, clearly both platforms have work to do...

ROTFLMAO.

Did you read the article you cited?

The piracy for iPhone is attributed entirely to jailbroken phones. Sort of disproves your theory that Apple's App Store has a big a problem as Android's. Those are all thefts that BYPASS the App Store - you're actually confirming the claim that jailbreaking is done at least party to steal apps, as well as confirming that Apple's App Store DOES work.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #107 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

according to the latest posting - perhaps Flash isn't the only "bag of hurt" that Adobe creates for the mobile platforms.

My reading was that it was Apple's own PDF reader code that has the vulnerability, not Adobe. Unless it was something funky about the PDF format in and of itself.

On that topic, this Comex guy that found this exploit, and the one before it (Spirit) is extremely brilliant, and I suspect he may have inside knowledge from leaks inside Apple. It is the ongoing war, nothing is 100% secure. But if I were to trust a device, I would choose iOS over Android any day.
post #108 of 217
Open source is a bad choice even if your a geek. It's a world without software patents and laws, anyone can steal, but some get angry due to this and moan and complain and point you out at Linux World. It's a mess, even Linus Tolvalds infers that the reason he uses fedora is because the distro is "useable". In other words, many other distro's are not. There is problems with standardisation. There isn't one familiar interface for all Android phones, different phone companies change the UI (this would not happen if Android were closed). So what if your a developer? How do you know that your app is going to be on everyone's phone? You don't.
post #109 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO.

Did you read the article you cited?

The piracy for iPhone is attributed entirely to jailbroken phones. Sort of disproves your theory that Apple's App Store has a big a problem as Android's. Those are all thefts that BYPASS the App Store - you're actually confirming the claim that jailbreaking is done at least party to steal apps, as well as confirming that Apple's App Store DOES work.

Dude, jailbreaking is as easy as installing an app. No skill required. Android thefts involve bypassing the Android Market too... so what's your point?

DRM is like door locks, they keep the honest honest and only slow down the determined crooks. My point is that if you're a developer, it's just as easy (and common) to get ripped off on iOS as it is Android.
post #110 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Whine whine whine whine. If you don't like his writing, read your apple news elsewhere.

This is about an open dialog, not love it or leave it. The purpose of having a comments section on a news site is to allow all readers to provide feedback. Accusing another user of whining as you have is little more than an attempt at censorship.
post #111 of 217
it's a mess for sure. One reason that Apple development was attractive to me personally was to get away from the open source jungle that was Java (or rather Java frameworks). People would rave about something like Maven, a build tool. To me it was a badly documented command line piece of junk that took ages to run and was a nightmare to fix.

A controlled environment is preferable. Or rather a controlled environment that is good quality is preferable (compared with for example Oracle that's a cash driven consultant's dream but a mess for the rest)
post #112 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

... My point is that if you're a developer, it's just as easy (and common) to get ripped off on iOS as it is Android.

Easy, perhaps, although that point is certainly debatable, but unless you have some evidence to support your assertion that it's just as common, "to get ripped off on iOS as it is Android," and I don't think you do -- in fact, I think the evidence is to the contrary -- this is just baseless propaganda.
post #113 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The jailbreak threat to Apple's App Store

Because of the huge volume of real app sales in iTunes, Apple can attract the attention of developers well beyond its core Mac platform. Other vendors are working hard to copy Apple's success, but the company is also threatened by efforts to expand jailbreaking.

A recent exploit in Apple's PDF rendering software that allows a web-based crack of the iPhone's security system threatens to expose a large number of users to the ease of app piracy.

If the company does not act to better secure its iOS, it may lose its early lead in offering a viable market for developers and end up with the same listings of rarely updated, low quality hobbyist mobile software that makes up the majority of competing mobile software markets.

Personally, I only see one reason to have one's iPhone jailbreaked. To let the iPhone tether with an iPad. Even with an iPad WiFi + 3G I see no reason to pay for two different data packages.

Apple would limit the number of jailbreaked iPhones if they gave an application like MyWi access to the AppStore. Or if they simply allowed an iPhone to tether with an iPad in exactly the same way as it already tethers with a laptop.
post #114 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. .... As long as he posts rubbish like this, I'll feel entitled to call him on it.

But if you enjoy his offerings, then my opinions obviously won't change that.

Sorry but the more you rant, the more he sounds balanced and you sound like a hater.

Daniel has his own opinions, but he backs them up by referencing reviewable data. Most ranters just say,,, "My toy better..... yours is bad!!" :-)

Just a thought here. And as always feel free to post. But if your post sounds like a rant, that is how it and you will be received.

en
post #115 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Easy, perhaps, although that point is certainly debatable, but unless you have some evidence to support your assertion that it's just as common, "to get ripped off on iOS as it is Android," and I don't think you do -- in fact, I think the evidence is to the contrary -- this is just baseless propaganda.

Several popular App Store developers did their own research and posted the findings, so I would hardly call it baseless propaganda.

Since you missed the link the first time, I made this entire reply a link to the article I originally referred to. I will also post the URL text at the end.

The article discussed App Store piracy in very clear and specific terms, so I see no need to try and regurgitate it for you.


http://247wallst.com/2010/01/13/appl...ion-to-piracy/
post #116 of 217
post #117 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

There is just one major flaw with Google's anti-piracy strategy: it conflicts with their upgrade strategy. This measure won't be able to be used on the vast majority of current Android devices, as they will never see software upgrades to future versions of Android. And developers are clearly going to use the anti-piracy functions (it would be stupid if they didn't) which locks out their software to at minimum the release which introduced this fix.

This is not true. This functionality has been included into Android Market client since version 1.5. Please, read the documentation before making such statements
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
post #118 of 217
There are some advantages to a closed system which a company protects. There are some advantages to open systems, which no company can protect. Buyer beware.
post #119 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, I didn't see any evidence there that the problem is as common on iOS as on Android. In fact, I didn't see any evidence of anything there, just a lot of wild conjecture masquerading as analysis. Surely you have something more substantive that you can point to?

The article is just as substantive and factual as the AI article.

Any paid app can be easily found online and installed for free on a jailbroken phone. "Wrong" (morally) but true. Anyone with an iOS device and Google can do their own "research" and prove this 100% with less than an hour of effort. Taking the Apple stance and ignoring it doesn't make it less true, nor does it solve the problem.
post #120 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO.

Did you read the article you cited?

The piracy for iPhone is attributed entirely to jailbroken phones...

Which line in the article said that?

The article pointed out that only about 10% of iPhones were jailbroken (many more now for sure), and that only 40% of those had pirated apps.

If the piracy is as widespread as the article claimed, it is hard to explain how 4% of all phones can account for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

according to the latest posting - perhaps Flash isn't the only "bag of hurt" that Adobe creates for the mobile platforms.

It was my understanding from the link you cite that the software at fault was Apple's. In any case, Apple put the buggy code in Safari, not Adobe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone