or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Rumored iTunes cloud service could be delayed further

Rumored iTunes cloud service could be delayed further

post #1 of 25
Mired in licensing issues, Apple's rumored full-scale cloud music service might be further down the line than previously thought. A limited feature service could be released by the end of the year.

Sources told CNet that if 'in the cloud' music features from Apple are released in the next few months, they will probably be "modest in scope," rather than more robust offerings as previously rumored.

After Apple purchased the online music streaming service LaLa late last year, speculation about the possibility of an iTunes streaming service increased. In January, one music industry veteran went on record saying that an upcoming version of iTunes would make users' iTunes libraries "available from any browser or net connected ipod/touch/tablet."

Although CNet claims that causes for the delay remain unclear, licensing issues and personnel changes may be a large part of the problem. According to the report, Apple "still hasn't obtained the licenses needed to store or distribute music from the cloud."

Additionally, music industry sources said Monday that "one of Lala's four founding members, someone who moved to Apple after the acquisition, has recently left the company."

These delays could cost Apple if Google can launch a competing service first. Although the Mountain View, Calif.-based company has partnered with music streaming services in the past, it has yet to launch a full-featured cloud music service. CNet's sources report that "Google's music attempts have never appeared this concrete before."

On the other hand, positive evidence that the project remains on track can be found by looking at Apple's $1 billion North Carolina server farm project. Several analysts are predicting that the project is being built specifically for a cloud media service. In July, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer announced that the server farm is "on schedule" to open by the end of the year.
post #2 of 25
How can you delay something that is rumoured?
post #3 of 25
Sounds like the white iPhone. A new Apple talent!
post #4 of 25
How can something with no official confirmation or release date be "delayed"?

An ongoing process might be getting more complicated for Apple, but that isn't a delay. If a date isn't announced, then it can't be postponed.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

How can something with no official confirmation or release date be "delayed"?

An ongoing process might be getting more complicated for Apple, but that isn't a delay. If a date isn't announced, then it can't be postponed.

The sky could Vaal. Apple could buy Ms. I hate these "could" articles.
post #6 of 25
And you think ATT's network is strained now!

And if it's limited to wi-fi only (at first), there really won't be much point, in my opinion. Anything that connects only by wi-fi already has all my music on it. And that's the way I'd want it because I still want my music when I'm not on wi-fi.

But, since it's only rumored and there's no info on how it would work, bit-rates available, etc, I'll reserve judgement. I just don't see how Apple, who has consistently rejected offering a streaming service, will make this an attractive offering (although as a backup method for my iTunes media so I don't have to keep safe backups of terabytes of data, that would potentially be of interest for a reasonable price).
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

The sky could Vaal. Apple could buy Ms. I hate these "could" articles.

oh I so wish apple bought microsoft.
post #8 of 25
Google doesn't have iTunes on 100 million computers. I doubt they would see much benefit of being first.
post #9 of 25
I know Apple needs rights for streaming etc...
... but really, if Apple lets me "backup" my music to the cloud, would that be illegal?

If they let me "restore" my music to my computer or iPhone or AppleTV (but only to devices that regular syncing would sync to), would that require a new deal? I'm not talking about streaming, I'm talking about downloading my song as a restore (and playing it as it downloads), and keeping it on my device for a while afterwards. Much the same as a rental movie works today.
post #10 of 25
Release it! I kept my Grandfathered iPhone data plan for this. I already am using 3GBs a month of AT&T's bandwidth to stream Internet radio. I Want More!
post #11 of 25
I bet Apple will find it harder to set up this type of service than the competition because the record labels will fight against giving Apple so much control a second time, that might be the cause of the licensing issues.
post #12 of 25
well at least SOMEONE is using xserve's, even if it's Apple.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I know Apple needs rights for streaming etc...
... but really, if Apple lets me "backup" my music to the cloud, would that be illegal?

If they let me "restore" my music to my computer or iPhone or AppleTV (but only to devices that regular syncing would sync to), would that require a new deal? I'm not talking about streaming, I'm talking about downloading my song as a restore (and playing it as it downloads), and keeping it on my device for a while afterwards. Much the same as a rental movie works today.

Only if you promise to rip your music at 128 kbps or less.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Google doesn't have iTunes on 100 million computers. I doubt they would see much benefit of being first.

No, your right. But they have their search engine and front end available to about 2 billion, give or take a couple of million.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Apple could buy Ms.

No Apple should buy Google. Their stock is cheap right now .

Annother question. should I buy Mobileme now or should I wait?
post #16 of 25
I think the server farm will be used for an all-in media streaming outlet including Apple TV, iTunes etc.

I wonder if Apple will also reinvent mobileme to provide a tiered free-to-paid service which is more like Google services
www.applebitch.com - Honest Apple News & Opinions
www.applebitch.com - Honest Apple News & Opinions
post #17 of 25
I'd like to think this is all happening but there's been no confirmation from Apple of what the data centre is for, no changes to iTunes/iPod app to show it's giving streamed content more priority and not even moves from competitors showing that they know what Apple is up to. There's actually been nothing factual at all that indicates Apple is doing iTunes via the cloud.

I'd certainly like to see it happen. And not just for music but also movies and TV as well. It's hard though not to think the pace is glacial.

Papers and magazines on the iPad are barely getting a pass mark due to complexity over subscription, music is clearly going to be harder because the industry feels threatened Apple, and movies and TV (especially using your own content and merging that with pay-per-view/monthly subscriptions) seem to be a long way off still.
post #18 of 25
My source says the Data Center is on schedule and that there has not been a spot on rumor of what it will be. He says that it is incredible but would not reveal specifics.
jgb
jgb
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshopkins View Post

How can you delay something that is rumoured?

exactly. This is tabloid journalism at its finest. No named sources, hedging comments, etc. The truth is that the time is coming up when itunes is likely to be updated and they can't find any semi solid details about what's up so they are afraid that it won't happen, so they are setting up a potential failure so they won't look like morons when it turns out they are wrong.

Reminds me of a certain 20 something actor and actress who play a couple on screen that have been rumored to be not only dating but soulmates/true loves just like their on screen characters. About 8 months ago articles started up about how their agents were forcing them to cool off to save their careers (bogus cause an agent is the employee not the employer and doesn't have that power) and then there were rumors of break ups etc. All for a couple that hasn't said they are dating, no one can prove it and there's strong rumors that she at least actually prefers the same sex

Geesh folks. It's one thing to talk about why Apple had a jones for lala and what they might take from said service and put into itunes etc. But this 'reporting' is laughable

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 25
I really can't figure out why Apple bought Lala and shut it down with no replacement in sight. Spending millions of dollars to alienate customers seems like a really stupid move.
post #21 of 25
If Lala could do it i just don´t get what the issue is what happened to the licenses Lala had? this just tells me Apple is going to do something totally different and new with the streaming services, if not, there would not be an issue.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I really can't figure out why Apple bought Lala and shut it down with no replacement in sight. Spending millions of dollars to alienate customers seems like a really stupid move.

Apple buys companies for their IP, not their user base. They then take that IP and tweak it for their own use but only when they see it fits in their business model.

Building a single massive data center simply for media streaming is unlikely. You would be better off with several smaller distributed data centers. The only Apple-esk purpose I can think of for a big massive new data center is a repository for user data, something as simple as disk on the Internet. With their push and emphasis on the mobile device market it is a logical enhancement to store and retrieve your data from anywhere. Wrap that around a smart MobileMe experience and you have another Apple coup, re-inventing something that already exists but making it seamless and highly usable.
post #23 of 25
How does Pandora fit into all of this? Is it private, and, if so, if it was bought and shut down, could someone easily make another version to take its place? My son and his friend don't buy much from itunes - they just stream Pandora. They were bummed out on a recent ski trip, when they couldn't stream it on their 3G phones; however, we couldn't get ATT anyway, due to too much traffic on the skislopes, so having your tunes on the device seems more reasonable for the foreseeable future.

With all the fantasy talk about acquisitions, wouldn't it be lovely for Apple to buy ATT, and maybe they can build a more robust network (ha!). Didn't Google seriously consider getting into the wireless business, and didn't they buy spectrum frequencies (can't remember the details). However, Google has a history of buying lots of stuff, with no payoff in site.

Apple has stated they have no interest (ever) of getting into the TV business (even with their obvious push with Apple TV), due to lack of control of the "box" (namely the TV), so doubt they would want to get into the wireless business either.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

How does Pandora fit into all of this? Is it private, and, if so, if it was bought and shut down, could someone easily make another version to take its place? My son and his friend don't buy much from itunes - they just stream Pandora. They were bummed out on a recent ski trip, when they couldn't stream it on their 3G phones; however, we couldn't get ATT anyway, due to too much traffic on the skislopes, so having your tunes on the device seems more reasonable for the foreseeable future.

I understand why some people would want Pandora to surprise you with new songs, but in most case I think local storage for songs makes more sense. 1GB will easily get you over 300 songs.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mired in licensing issues, Apple's rumored full-scale cloud music service might be further down the line than previously thought. A limited feature service could be released by the end of the year.

Sources told CNet that if 'in the cloud' music features from Apple are released in the next few months, they will probably be "modest in scope," rather than more robust offerings as previously rumored.

After Apple purchased the online music streaming service LaLa late last year, speculation about the possibility of an iTunes streaming service increased. In January, one music industry veteran went on record saying that an upcoming version of iTunes would make users' iTunes libraries "available from any browser or net connected ipod/touch/tablet."

Although CNet claims that causes for the delay remain unclear, licensing issues and personnel changes may be a large part of the problem. According to the report, Apple "still hasn't obtained the licenses needed to store or distribute music from the cloud."

Additionally, music industry sources said Monday that "one of Lala's four founding members, someone who moved to Apple after the acquisition, has recently left the company."

These delays could cost Apple if Google can launch a competing service first. Although the Mountain View, Calif.-based company has partnered with music streaming services in the past, it has yet to launch a full-featured cloud music service. CNet's sources report that "Google's music attempts have never appeared this concrete before."

On the other hand, positive evidence that the project remains on track can be found by looking at Apple's $1 billion North Carolina server farm project. Several analysts are predicting that the project is being built specifically for a cloud media service. In July, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer announced that the server farm is "on schedule" to open by the end of the year.

I firmly believe that Apple is preparing to directly compete with Netflix streaming subscription. They are probably having trouble getting all the studios and TV outlets on board with licensing. I sure hope it happens, Netflix HD streaming is awesome, they just lack enough variety due to the same licensing problems that Apple is having...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Rumored iTunes cloud service could be delayed further