or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Game Center not compatible with iPhone 3G in iOS 4.1 beta 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Game Center not compatible with iPhone 3G in iOS 4.1 beta 3

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Both the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch are not compatible with Apple's forthcoming Game Center application in the latest beta of iOS 4.1.

People familiar with the matter told AppleInsider that iOS 4.1 beta 3, a pre-release build seeded to developers on Tuesday, has dropped support for Game Center for older handset models. In previous builds, the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch were capable of running Game Center.

Those familiar with the latest build said Apple's release notes did not indicate whether this was a permanent change, or a temporary one just for this beta. It simply stated that Game Center is "no longer supported" on the older hardware.

The loss of support was reportedly one of a number of changes made to the GameKit API found in iOS 4.1. In addition to a number of bug fixes, the latest update is also said to have added support for the achievements API, which will allow gamers to receive virtual awards for completing tasks in games.

Game Center has been touted by Apple as a major new feature of iOS 4, aiming to provide a centralized experience for gamers on the iPhone and iPod touch. Similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live, the social gaming network will allow gamers to see what their friends are playing, challenge them to an online match, or compare scores in specific titles.

In addition, the GameKit application programming interface allows developers to integrate their titles into the Game Center social network. The service will be opt-in for developers, who will not be forced to make their software a part of Game Center. But Apple officials believe it will be beneficial for application makers to integrate their games, because the service will allow a greater experience for users.
post #2 of 44
This is Smiles77 and I disapprove of this message.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #3 of 44
My 3G is such a pig running ios4 that i don't really care what Apple choses not to support on it, because it won't run worth a damn anyway. I have been holding out on a 4, but I think it is almost time to pull the trigger.
post #4 of 44
Seriously though, they should not remove support for the 2nd Gen iPod Touch as they're still selling it as new, in the 8GB current model. My 16GB 2nd Gen is running 20% faster under iOS 4.0 and I have heard from a lot of others with 2nd gen touches that theirs are the same, so I don't know why you would disallow the running of the Game Center app. I'd think you would want as many people as possible to be able to utilize your social gaming network, as that will drive adoption, otherwise something like OpenFeint is more attractive for game developers.. Here's to hoping they bring back support.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

This is Smiles77 and I disapprove of this message.

I know a lot f people that simply never upgraded to the 3GS and even more that have 3GS that are staying far away from iphone 4 and hate ios 4 saying it's very slow, like 5 seconds to Load a web page.

I hope this isn't a ploy to get users to upgrade as that would be acnew low, even for Apple.

As it stands now the 3g should be $50 to ugrade and foresee many upgrading to the 3 GS, running 3.1. Ios 4 is a mess right now and the iPhone 4 needs a revision. Peace
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

My 3G is such a pig running ios4 that i don't really care what Apple choses not to support on it, because it won't run worth a damn anyway. I have been holding out on a 4, but I think it is almost time to pull the trigger.

Have you tried a full reinstall. I did the first day and was amazed how well my 3G responded. Have had half a dozen clients do the same thing.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Have you tried a full reinstall. I did the first day and was amazed how well my 3G responded. Have had half a dozen clients do the same thing.

That worked for me for about two weeks before everything slowed down again.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

That worked for me for about two weeks before everything slowed down again.

Exactly, there is no permanent fix. A full reinstall works because it reboots the phone, which helps for a day or so.
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I know a lot f people that simply never upgraded to the 3GS and even more that have 3GS that are staying far away from iphone 4 and hate ios 4 saying it's very slow, like 5 seconds to Load a web page.

I hope this isn't a ploy to get users to upgrade as that would be acnew low, even for Apple.

As it stands now the 3g should be $50 to ugrade and foresee many upgrading to the 3 GS, running 3.1. Ios 4 is a mess right now and the iPhone 4 needs a revision. Peace

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????

Well, add me to the list. It's a mess for me. In fact my wife sees how poorly it is running on my phone and said she does not want the update done to hers. There are many people here and on Apple's own discussion forums which are having similar problems. Don't know what other "real facts" you are looking for. Would you like us all to capture video and post it for you on YouTube? Would that let you finally sleep at night?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????

My 'opinion' is that ios4 slowed my 3g to a crawl and it became unusable to all intents and purposes. 5 seconds for a web page. Try 5 seconds for most screen refreshes no matter what app. or 5 secs for text to appear after having typed a given word. I totally re-installed and did every other trick floating about in the ether at present. Then I reverted to ios3 and I am back to the old pretty slow but usable 3g. 'Fact' or 'opinion'? You tell me.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I hope this isn't a ploy to get users to upgrade as that would be acnew low, even for Apple.

Not really apples business model is all about selling new hardware. They dropped power pc support on macs making you have to buy a whole new mac instead of a new os. It was inevitable that at some point new phone features would only be availiable to new models to make people buy a new phone.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I know a lot f people that simply never upgraded to the 3GS and even more that have 3GS that are staying far away from iphone 4 and hate ios 4 saying it's very slow, like 5 seconds to Load a web page.

OK, those people you know suffer some strange logic. Since iOS 4 is running slowly on their older hardware, why in heck are they staying far away from iPhone 4? It blazes man.

The antenna issue? Scoff.

Thompson
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My 'opinion' is that ios4 slowed my 3g to a crawl and it became unusable to all intents and purposes. 5 seconds for a web page. Try 5 seconds for most screen refreshes no matter what app. or 5 secs for text to appear after having typed a given word. I totally re-installed and did every other trick floating about in the ether at present. Then I reverted to ios3 and I am back to the old pretty slow but usable 3g. 'Fact' or 'opinion'? You tell me.

Recent software will trump old hardware every time, especially at this early stage in the smartphone game where both are changing at light speed. This is to be expected. The main two solutions are to keep running the old iOS on the old iPhone or upgrade to the new iPhone with the latest iOS. It sounds like you took the former approach.

Thompson
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Recent software will trump old hardware every time, especially at this early stage in the smartphone game where both are changing at light speed. This is to be expected. The main two solutions are to keep running the old iOS on the old iPhone or upgrade to the new iPhone with the latest iOS. It sounds like you took the former approach.

Thompson

Yeah, the thing that bugs me though, is that Apple is CURRENTLY selling an 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch as if it were a new model, and yet it has no Multitasking, Background Wallpapers, and now Game Center support. How can they keep selling it and have it not fully support their current OS.

Current hardware, and current OS.
In important ways incompatible.
Bad stuff. \
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #16 of 44
I LOL'd a little

I have to think that they are in pretty unfamiliar territory:
1. Working on a gaming platform and
2. Blatantly copying something from Microsoft


My guess is that they need the extra RAM available in the 3GS onwards so they can have some kind of dashboard running in the background. It's hard to say for sure though.

I'd would pretty much LMAO if Apple decide to create a "game hub" and manage to release it before WP7.

On a final note Apple really really need to buy OpenFeint. One of the most important features of these social game platforms is that they work the same across all games. If they don't buy OpenFeint the experience will be way too fragmented.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, the thing that bugs me though, is that Apple is CURRENTLY selling an 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch as if it were a new model, and yet it has no Multitasking, Background Wallpapers, and now Game Center support. How can they keep selling it and have it not fully support their current OS.

Current hardware, and current OS.
In important ways incompatible.
Bad stuff. \

Yes, that is a fairly old piece of hardware to continue selling as new, but I'm sure its beneficial to Apple to dangle the $199 Touch at potential customers, only to go for the easy upsell when they see how much more they will get for that extra hundred.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I know a lot f people that simply never upgraded to the 3GS and even more that have 3GS that are staying far away from iphone 4 and hate ios 4 saying it's very slow, like 5 seconds to Load a web page.

Let's see, they are complaining about the lack of speed on an updated OS on a second and third generation phone but refuse to upgrade to the fourth generation, which is much faster and has much more memory and would not exhibit these problems. Sounds like these people are backwards thinking on the subject.
post #19 of 44
Is this release of iOS 4.1 iPhone only? I was under the impression iOS 4 would be the same for both devices, and no longer split between the two...

Has someone tried iOS 4.1 on an iPad?
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Is this release of iOS 4.1 iPhone only? I was under the impression iOS 4 would be the same for both devices, and no longer split between the two...

Has someone tried iOS 4.1 on an iPad?

The developer section lists the iOS versions for each device and model, the iPad is not listed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 44
So people that bought a 3G 6 months ago have no right to complain about the *reduction* in speed (not lack of), that renders their new phone unusable ? Apple has not stated they no longer support the 3G.

Apple actively encourage all users to upgrade via iTunes. There was no warning that it would be slow, there is no list of minimum system requirements. It has been oversold and a load of customers have traded a usable phone for "folders".

Thankfully for me, rolling back on the 3G is easy, but for the 3GS its a one-way ticket and Apple need to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Let's see, they are complaining about the lack of speed on an updated OS on a second and third generation phone but refuse to upgrade to the fourth generation, which is much faster and has much more memory and would not exhibit these problems. Sounds like these people are backwards thinking on the subject.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Recent software will trump old hardware every time, especially at this early stage in the smartphone game where both are changing at light speed. This is to be expected. The main two solutions are to keep running the old iOS on the old iPhone or upgrade to the new iPhone with the latest iOS. It sounds like you took the former approach.

Thompson

Well, yes and no. I took the former because I am a sucker for upgrades and often go against my better judgement. I then reverted. But all this was only a temporary measure while I was waiting to become eligible for an upgrade. Now I am but the iPhone4 cannot be had for love nor money in my part of Canada. Arrrgh... the trials and tribulations I must endure....
post #23 of 44
I guess this is the second major fazeout of older iDevices first one being iPhone 2G/iPod Touch 1. I am sure a jailbreak will bring functionality back to these devices, but it looks like it's time to upgrade sometime during this device cycle.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, yes and no. I took the former because I am a sucker for upgrades and often go against my better judgement. I then reverted. But all this was only a temporary measure while I was waiting to become eligible for an upgrade. Now I am but the iPhone4 cannot be had for love nor money in my part of Canada. Arrrgh... the trials and tribulations I must endure....

What part of Canada are you from? I though UPS ships just about anywhere.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Is this release of iOS 4.1 iPhone only? I was under the impression iOS 4 would be the same for both devices, and no longer split between the two...

Has someone tried iOS 4.1 on an iPad?

iOS will eventually be upgraded on the iPad as well, but they are currently out of sync. Give it time to come together. Things are moving too quickly to necessarily be kept in sync.

Thompson
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

iOS will eventually be upgraded on the iPad as well, but they are currently out of sync. Give it time to come together. Things are moving too quickly to necessarily be kept in sync.

Thompson

I wonder if they will ever be kept in sync. The device types are to disparate to be kept in sync like YoY iPhone and iPod Touch models.

If, as I suspect, they do add more iOS-based devices to the lineup which don't utilize CocoaTouch then a sunce update cycle gets even more complex and pointless.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 44
Lets hope its temporary: if phones sold around a month ago dont support GC, then Ill think about just using OpenFeint for my game, and jump to GC in a a couple years maybe. But Im not assuming the worst yet!
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

That worked for me for about two weeks before everything slowed down again.

i have to reboot my 3gs with iOS 4 every few days. probably a lot of memory leaks in there. and the task bar is probably a culprit as well.

OS 3 wasn't that stable until 3.1.3. my 3GS used to reboot spontaneously
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

OK, those people you know suffer some strange logic. Since iOS 4 is running slowly on their older hardware, why in heck are they staying far away from iPhone 4? It blazes man.

The antenna issue? Scoff.

Thompson

90% of games in the app store require first gen hardware. except for apple not supporting 2nd gen hardware there is no reason to upgrade if you don't have to
post #30 of 44
But golly, I thought fragmentation only happened on other mobile OSes.
post #31 of 44
Guess its the slow perforance of the devices on iOS4. .

Oh well, I luckly returned my 2nd gen iPod Touch for a 3rd gen .
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????

I'm with you.

Programs may take a little longer to load but not much longer. Bento, which I use all the time and traditionally took a while to load, actually loaded up quicker.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

So people that bought a 3G 6 months ago have no right to complain about the *reduction* in speed (not lack of), that renders their new phone unusable ? Apple has not stated they no longer support the 3G.

Apple actively encourage all users to upgrade via iTunes. There was no warning that it would be slow, there is no list of minimum system requirements. It has been oversold and a load of customers have traded a usable phone for "folders".

Good job. Couldn't have said it better myself. While I will upgrade at some point in the near future, having to do it because Apple almost made my current phone unusable is not the best reason to have to do so.

I understand technology changes and that is why I have said numerous times I would be more accepting if Apple would have cut off the upgrade to 3G users. An honest, "sorry your phone isn't powerful enough for the changes of the new OS." is much better than "sure it'll work just fine."

Don't forget this is a sanctioned upgrade from Apple. Imagine how many less tech savvy owners of 3G units are saying WTF after they updated their hardware. What is their opinion of Apple/iPhone right now? Without the flag from iTunes many of them would have never known about the update.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Good job. Couldn't have said it better myself. While I will upgrade at some point in the near future, having to do it because Apple almost made my current phone unusable is not the best reason to have to do so.

I understand technology changes and that is why I have said numerous times I would be more accepting if Apple would have cut off the upgrade to 3G users. An honest, "sorry your phone isn't powerful enough for the changes of the new OS." is much better than "sure it'll work just fine."

Have you read Apple's iOS 4 website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Compatibility
iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

Where did they say it will work just fine?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
post #35 of 44
Why do people assume they should get updates? Technology progresses very fast and tomorrows phones will be able to do things that today's can't. You shouldn't expect your phone to be magically able to handle these things.

People have short memories, before the iphone came on the scene, can you ever remember updating your phone? And before the iphone came on the scene can you remember getting a free major OS update anywhere (linux does not count), not just on the phone?
post #36 of 44
iOS 4 has really slowed down my second generation iPod touch. Lots of apps have a longer than usual pause when you boot them up and now safari crashes alot (which it never used to do). I will be upgrading to an iPhone 4 later this year.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Have you read Apple's iOS 4 website?



Where did they say it will work just fine?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

I have no idea what your point is. To answer you question though, no I didn't go to that previously unknown link before I connected my iPhone to iTunes and received the update message from Apple.

Just to see if there was some reason for the link you posted other than the
Quote:
iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

part I did go to the link you provided and after reading it a few times I still can't find the part that says, "This update will slow iPhone 3G's performance to an almost unusable level. Only apply update if you are justifying the purchase of an iPhone 4."

Again people, I don't think anyone who has a 3G was expecting some sort of miracle performance. For those of us that have this slow-down issue know how real it is. For those that don't, well consider yourself lucky. You will just have to take our word on how bad it is.

How happy would you be if you had to wait 40 seconds for your iPod app to open because it timed out the first time you tapped the icon and almost timed out the second time?

People on these message boards have updates that go bad from time to time. Just because it didn't happen to me doesn't mean I don't believe them. Nor do I tell them to go buy a new machine. Remember, Apple just stopped selling 3G phones a few weeks ago.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Remember, Apple just stopped selling 3G phones a few weeks ago.

Just a heads-up - the 3Gs is still being sold new where I live while the 3G seems to be sold out of official channels. You can still buy a brand new 3G from non-official sources though.

BTW, that was a great post. Kudos.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My 'opinion' is that ios4 slowed my 3g to a crawl and it became unusable to all intents and purposes. 5 seconds for a web page. Try 5 seconds for most screen refreshes no matter what app. or 5 secs for text to appear after having typed a given word. I totally re-installed and did every other trick floating about in the ether at present. Then I reverted to ios3 and I am back to the old pretty slow but usable 3g. 'Fact' or 'opinion'? You tell me.

Neither, it's an experience. Some people will experience this issue, some won't. It's also a problem, one that you could tell Apple about? No? Aright then, I won't strain your brain. Pssst... apple.com/feedback
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

Pssst... apple.com/feedback

Been there, done that. Waiting to see what the response is in 4.1.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Game Center not compatible with iPhone 3G in iOS 4.1 beta 3