or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria

Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria - Page 4

post #121 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Did anyone think that the pole might be crooked. I just did a test with a flashlight and two pencils. If you "lean" one of them to the right (towards other pencil)... guess what happens... the shadows go toward each other, without moving the light source.

now realize how your model is nothing like the photo. in your model, i'm guessing that the pencils are going to be within a few inches of each other, and the flashlight maybe a foot away. in the photo, steve is maybe ten feet away from the pole, and the lightsource is NINETY THREE MILLION GODDAMN MILES AWAY. the shadows in the photo are very nearly perfectly parallel.

perspective is sufficient to explain why things appear the way they do, without resorting to telephone poles ready to topple into buildings, or someone faking in steve for an alleged incident which is not only perfectly reasonable (appearing at a trendy restaurant without so much as a reservation), but which is also, in fact, supported by a third party (the restaurant itself).
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #122 of 250
[QUOTE=Robin Huber;1690690]http://gallery.me.com/roberthuber/100876

Ah yes. I see your problem. Your photo has the sun too much for the left. You have to take a picture with the sun *BEHIND* you. Try again.

As it is right now, the vanishing point of the shadows are veeeeeery to the right. If you have your camera with you or something, please try again. Perhaps we can still teach someone here and this may not have been a total waste of time.
post #123 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

http://gallery.me.com/roberthuber/100876

Okay, explain why my shadow appears parallel to the pole shadow and all other shadows and Steve's shadow and the pole shadow are on radically different angles.

I would explain it, but for the fact that I don't know, and I honestly couldn't give a shit.
post #124 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by drow View Post

my final 2cp, because even a rotten bastard like me starts to feel bad kicking dogs this dumb.

basic perspective. start paying attention to the world around you. take an art class if you really just do not get it.
occam's razor. it makes goddamn sense.

Occam's Razor falls before a really good hoax.

Actually, I DID just take an art class and aced it.

Ironically, for the final we had to come up with a storyboard of sketches that told a story.

Include a person, something mechanical, something abstract, some other artist's style, something architectural... and draw part of it by non-traditional means.

The irony?

I used Steve Jobs holding an Apple, the iPod, the Apple Logo by Rob Janoff, 1 Infinite Loop, and the iPad.

I also cut a 2" wide Apple Logo from 1/4" thick steel with a plasma cutter and polished it.

BTW, the flaw with the wide-angle lens argument is the shadows of the power lines are pretty straight.

If it was a wide lens they'd curve a lot more as you go outward from center.
post #125 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I would explain it, but for the fact that I don't know, and I honestly couldn't give a shit.

I can. But I need his assistance. Let me see if I can find a photo in the INTERNETZ.

Does someone know any photo gallery on the internetz? (Kidding heheh)

Not that much on the netz, but I didn't want to waste time

here see this example

http://www.sudiptashaw.com/photograp...ws-950x601.jpg

okay, notice the shadows on the floor. They are all "parallel" in the 3d universe. They are converging to a vanishing point to the right, as they should, in the perspective.
post #126 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Yes, matrix you did. Except that it's all wrong. You don't need a "wide lens" to get that effect. You just need to be an average photographer and shoot the right direction with an average camera.

No, the vanishing point for shadow is so extreme I would think you need around 12-14 mm. for digital-size sensor to achieve that, which is no way that picture captured with that extreme wide angle.
Noticed the sun is actually to the right, or just behind, of photographer.
Or the pole is leaned. Problem solved.
post #127 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkirk3279 View Post

Actually, I DID just take an art class and aced it.

Well I took a fucking architecture course and I was the best in class. Wanna compare dicks too?
post #128 of 250
I don't think we'll settle this until one of us on the thread who lives in the city goes down to Flour + Water, stands in the same spot at the same time of day (note it was sunny, obviously a fake since it's never sunny in SF--sorry, as an Angeleno I couldn't resist) and put a guy where Steve was standing and take a pic. Even then there are people here who would explain it away I fear.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #129 of 250
lol ...
post #130 of 250
This is a great example of the pathetic power of the internet. A complete non-story on an internet site has managed to prompt 128 (and counting) comments relating to the authenticity of a photo included in said non-story.

It's all rather dismal really.
post #131 of 250
Quote:

Did you read the entire story? It seems clear that this has been shown to be a fake image. It never happened. Or if it did, someone went to a lot of trouble to create a fake image to illustrate a true story. Doesn't seem logical.

I don't really care whether it's true or not.

My post that you were responding to was questioning some jerk who said that the waiter should be fired. Whether the photo is real or not, the waiter did exactly what he should have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

dumb move by the restaurant's manager.

Exactly the opposite.

Let's say Jobs gets pi$$ed off. How much pizza could he buy, anyway? Instead, he has 100 people who got tables while Jobs didn't so they're all going to run to tell their friends that they're more important than Steve Jobs.

Plus you have a million people who see the article on the Internet and wonder about this restaurant that's so exclusive that even Steve Jobs can't get in - even though he wanted to.

Plus, the people who would have eaten there anyway get the message that "we treat everyone fairly here" which is never a bad message.

Absolutely nothing negative for the restaurant (of course, the whole story may not even be true, and even if true, the owner may not have known about it until later. In any event, he's undoubtedly happy).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #132 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No, the vanishing point for shadow is so extreme I would think you need around 12-14 mm. for digital-size sensor to achieve that, which is no way that picture captured with that extreme wide angle.
Noticed the sun is actually to the right, or just behind, of photographer.
Or the pole is leaned. Problem solved.

No. Again, the sun is VERY low, and the vanishing point of the sun's shadows is WITHIN the photograph. This is why people are having trouble with the picture, perhaps, because it's unusual for these circumstances to happen. But if the vanishing point is within the picture, all vertical shadows must converge to it, regardless of "wide angles". It's simple geometry stuff, and angles have no fucking nothing to do with it. Believe in me, I am probably the smartest geometric geek you'll ever encounter in the netz.
post #133 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is a great example of the pathetic power of the internet. A complete non-story on an internet site has managed to prompt 128 (and counting) comments relating to the authenticity of a photo included in said non-story.

It's all rather dismal really.

Dismal?

No, the truly abysmal part is when people who find it dismal not only cannot turn away, but feel compelled to post.
post #134 of 250
Quote:

okay, notice the shadows on the floor. They are all "parallel" in the 3d universe. They are converging to a vanishing point to the right, as they should, in the perspective.

The only reason they appear to converge is that the poles that are casting them are not perpendicular. They are angled bridge trusses. Find a picture with vertical poles.
post #135 of 250
Quote:

No. Again, the sun is VERY low, and the vanishing point of the sun's shadows is WITHIN the photograph. This is why people are having trouble with the picture, perhaps, because it's unusual for these circumstances to happen. But if the vanishing point is within the picture, all vertical shadows must converge to it, regardless of "wide angles". It's simple geometry stuff, and angles have no fucking nothing to do with it. Believe in me, I am probably the smartest geometric geek you'll ever encounter in the netz.

No you don't understand, and the picture you posted is no use either. The sun is in different direction.
The picture could be real for 2 things only: The pole is leaned, or the wall behind SJ is not parallel to the line of poles.
post #136 of 250
Quote:

Well I took a fucking architecture course and I was the best in class. Wanna compare dicks too?

A bit curious, are you?
Why not lighten up a bit?
Jeez.
post #137 of 250
Quote:

Or perhaps you are clearly dumb at these things. Please enlighten me where do you see any contradiction on the picture. You speak of "sharp" shadows. Probably you are comparing them with the shadows of the cables which are blurred. And then you really think you are "on to" something. But you are not. You are only witnessing the product of your ignorance. Go outside and see a shadow of any cable that is well above you, like 4,5 meters. Then compare to your shadow.

Oh, hello! Your shadow is now sharper than the cable's! OMG do you realise what that means? It means, you are not really you, you are a photoshopped person!!

No. I compared Steve's "shadow" with the shadow of the person to the left of the camera.

Since they are both standing on the same plane, their shadows should have the same degree of sharpness and darkness.

That power line is 20+ feet higher than their heads, of course the shadow it casts is fuzzy.
post #138 of 250
What a second... Steve Jobs casts a shadow? Next thing you'll be telling me, he can see himself in mirrors.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #139 of 250
Quote:

*What*?? Oh my God.

Okay, before I just make fun out of you, please enlighten me, what *exactly* are you talking about. By the "telephone pole" shadow you are meaning the red lighted big shadows on the left?

Because if you aren't and you are speaking of the 3 lines more to the center, than you are also dumb. Those lines are more or less horizontal, so their shadows do not have to align with the shadows of vertical objects... get it?

I was referring to the shadow that appears at about the middle of the left edge of the pic, and goes diagonally toward the upper right on the sidewalk. Two people in the background are stepping on it. I don't see the "red lighted" shadow you are referring to. I didn't mean the telephone lines themselves.

Just curious. Why are you so hostile to people who are just enjoying a normal discourse about this subject? It makes you seem as though you think you are superior to everyone here. All the gratuitous insults about education and intelligence about people you really don't know as living, breathing human beings. I really think you are better than that.
post #140 of 250
Waiting for DED to write a long article debunking the 10 myths of why Flour + Water is an excellent restaurant...
post #141 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

Wow - must be a really slow news day. Why is this up here?

There is always at least one tool that has to say "slow news day eh?" and today it gets to be you. You know some days there is no news. But we still have to have somethjng to read you d bag. Also like to point out over 100 replys already not bad for a slow news day
post #142 of 250
Ah ha! Now the shoe is on the other foot! Supply and demand strikes again!

"We're selling every pizza we can make. We just can't make enough pizzas. Customers just love our pizzas."
post #143 of 250
Quote:

I was referring to the shadow that appears at about the middle of the left edge of the pic, and goes diagonally toward the upper right on the sidewalk. Two people in the background are stepping on it. I don't see the "red lighted" shadow you are referring to. I didn't mean the telephone lines themselves.

Just curious. Why are you so hostile to people who are just enjoying a normal discourse about this subject? It makes you seem as though you think you are superior to everyone here. All the gratuitous insults about education and intelligence about people you really don't know as living, breathing human beings. I really think you are better than that.

It's sad. Some people LIVE to put down others. As if insisting you're smarter actually makes it true.

Here we have a perfectly good discussion of perspective and 'shopping' and somebody has to spoil it.
post #144 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkirk3279 View Post

It's sad. Some people LIVE to put down others. As if insisting you're smarter actually makes it true.

Here we have a perfectly good discussion of perspective and 'shopping' and somebody has to spoil it.

My comments may have been incorrect. OK.
I'm willing to eat a bit of humble pie when needed and maybe learn something but now I won't even consider anything dias wrote.
post #145 of 250
It's called the iPizza.
Don't ask me how it started.
post #146 of 250
You know, the more I examine the original photo (not the marked up one), I am thinking we just don't have enough information. What I saw as the smoking gun, an anomalous shadow of one of a continuous line of telephone poles behind the shooter might well be something else. It just doesn't articulate properly with the shadows of the phone lines on the sidewalk. It could be one of those arms that come out from a perpendicular pole to hold a stop light over an intersection behind the shooter--we just don't know. I am no longer convinced this is a fake. This has nothing to do with the validity of my or Luis' arguments, just a lack of data. Just for fun I am going to try a Google street view to see what I can learn. Peace.
post #147 of 250
If anything flour+water should be PRAISED for not letting a billionaire walk in and get a table ahead of someone, forcing everybody else to wait even longer. I have not eaten here yet but I already admire their business practices. Sounds like a humbling moment for Steve that he probably needed and hasn't had in a long time!
post #148 of 250
Well, you know how Jobs designed the original Mac?

He wanted it to look like a Cuisinart.

And we already had a "pizza box" Mac.
post #149 of 250
100% doctored
post #150 of 250
Quote:

I don't think we'll settle this until one of us on the thread who lives in the city goes down to Flour + Water, stands in the same spot at the same time of day...and put a guy where Steve was standing and take a pic.

You know, when you really think about it, it doesn't really matter. But for those who just have to know, they should do as you suggest and either try to recreate the shot on location or find someone who can. I know, let's call the Mythbusters, they're in the bay area.
post #151 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

You know, when you really think about it, it doesn't really matter. But for those who just have to know, they should do as you suggest and either try to recreate the shot on location or find someone who can. I know, let's call the Mythbusters, they're in the bay area.

Good idea! They already proved the different angles of shadows on the Moon Landing pictures.... this should be cake for them.
post #152 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Good idea! They already proved the different angles of shadows on the Moon Landing pictures.... this should be cake for them.

Good point, I totally forgot about the faked moon landing episode.
post #153 of 250
Perhaps this is why he lost ll that weight, if only he had a personal assistant to make restaurant reservations for him.

Seriously, why is this news?
post #154 of 250
I believe this story was carried on the network WGAF.
post #155 of 250
fake.

As they state in the article, the shadow is lined up incorrectly. Should correspond with the pole and the couple walking in the shadow of the pole. The wires appear differently because they are horizontal and not vertical like the pole and people.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #156 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

He puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else.

If I had his money Id pay people to put pants on me. And I wouldnt be walking around in public. That seems so pedestrian.

Seriously, this is news? If he threw a fit and demanded a table because hes Steve Jobs and got turned away or if he bought the restaurant and then fired the guy that turned him away, that would be news.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #157 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I had his money Id pay people to put pants on me. And I wouldnt be walking around in public. That seems so pedestrian.

Did you mean this literally?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #158 of 250
Four pages of comments over the least interesting thing that's ever happened to Steve Jobs?

Wow...
post #159 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Did you mean this literally?

I meant it to be a joke. It seems I have failed.
post #160 of 250
You guys are arguing about the shadows on the ground? Have you ever seen a Star Wars movie? The shadows line up in each scene, but that doesn't prove anything in the scene is "real".

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria