or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria

Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria - Page 5

post #161 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I meant it to be a joke. It seems I have failed.

You mean the part about walking around being pedestrian?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #162 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

If anything flour+water should be PRAISED for not letting a billionaire walk in and get a table ahead of someone, forcing everybody else to wait even longer. I have not eaten here yet but I already admire their business practices. Sounds like a humbling moment for Steve that he probably needed and hasn't had in a long time!

LOL. That's how Karl Marx got started.
How do you know that doesn't happen to him all the time? As far as I'm concerned, AT&T drops his calls as often as they drop everyone else's. It's not like his SIM card gets magical preference over the rest of the schlubs battling it out for bandwidth in San Francisco's crowded cell towers.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #163 of 250
Quote:

If I had his money Id pay people to put pants on me. And I wouldnt be walking around in public. That seems so pedestrian.

Seriously, this is news? If he threw a fit and demanded a table because hes Steve Jobs and got turned away or if he bought the restaurant and then fired the guy that turned him away, that would be news.

Hey, you're talking about Steve Jobs. If he bought the restaurant, before he was done all the workers would be wearing gold-plated diapers!
post #164 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Most of the people in there are Photoshopped in," user "Ryan" commented. "The person who did it lined up in the shadows with the shadows of the telephone wires instead of the shadows in the telephone pole. Steve Jobs, dude in blue, girl in white -- all cropped in. Even shadows of people behind the camera are cropped in."

The use of the expression 'cropped in' clearly demonstrates that this person went to art school and should be considered an expert.
post #165 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkirk3279 View Post

Occam's Razor falls before a really good hoax.

Actually, I DID just take an art class and aced it.

Ironically, for the final we had to come up with a storyboard of sketches that told a story.

Include a person, something mechanical, something abstract, some other artist's style, something architectural... and draw part of it by non-traditional means.

The irony?

I used Steve Jobs holding an Apple, the iPod, the Apple Logo by Rob Janoff, 1 Infinite Loop, and the iPad.

I also cut a 2" wide Apple Logo from 1/4" thick steel with a plasma cutter and polished it.

BTW, the flaw with the wide-angle lens argument is the shadows of the power lines are pretty straight.

If it was a wide lens they'd curve a lot more as you go outward from center.

That's a lot of typing just to prove that you don't know what "irony" means.
post #166 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You guys are arguing about the shadows on the ground? Have you ever seen a Star Wars movie? The shadows line up in each scene, but that doesn't prove anything in the scene is "real".

True. It's possible for the shadows in a fake picture to be just as correct as in a real picture.

But if the shadows are incorrect, then it MUST be a fake.

Quote:

Occam's Razor falls before a really good hoax.

No, Occam's Razor says that no one in their right mind cares whether Jobs got a seat in that restaurant or not.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #167 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You guys are arguing about the shadows on the ground? Have you ever seen a Star Wars movie? The shadows line up in each scene, but that doesn't prove anything in the scene is "real".

Yeah, but if they are wrong, it proves it was doctored or it was a fake (CGI) shot.
post #168 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

That's a lot of typing just to prove that you don't know what "irony" means.

Yeah, it's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron.
post #169 of 250
Quote:

No. I compared Steve's "shadow" with the shadow of the person to the left of the camera.

Now that's just silly. You can't trust the photograph enough to do *that*.

Quote:
Since they are both standing on the same plane, their shadows should have the same degree of sharpness and darkness.

Well not exactly, no. It all depends on many things. For one, the difference isn't that much. So the slight difference can be explained otherwise, by ambient lighting, materials, etc.,etc. And, btw there's no one in the same distance as Jobs is. *No one*. So you can't make a fair comparison. Again, you are gasping for straws.

Quote:
That power line is 20+ feet higher than their heads, of course the shadow it casts is fuzzy.

Oh geeze. At least you score that one.
post #170 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean the part about walking around being pedestrian?

I meant that to be a double entendre. The first sentence was me being silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Yeah, but if they are wrong, it proves it was doctored or it was a fake (CGI) shot.

There was a Mythbusters episode on the moon landing that showed shadows pointing in different directions can come from a single light source. I think it had to do with a 2D image showing a 2D shadow based on a 3D object. This isn't my field of expertise but the conclusion seemed reasonable to me to debunk those you think te moon landing images were faked.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #171 of 250
And please, you guys didn't show that this was fake at all. All you got are banana arguments. I couldn't give a shit if this was a fake or not. But when I saw the "experts" opinion on the original post, and then I saw the picture, I couldn't relate *at all*. If this is a fake, let me tell you, it's a damn good one. Now why would anyone spend so much time making such a good fake for such a stupid story?

Anything's possible, I guess. Anyhoo, it's irrelevant. I'm just here combating the sheer ignorance of the people that apparently have too many opinions for their own sake.
post #172 of 250
How come no one is "praising" Jobs for waiting his turn, and walking out when no tables were available? It's not like he cut the line, threw down $100 and demanded to be seated. Cut the guy some slack he is just trying to go out and get some dinner.
post #173 of 250
Quote:

I meant that to be a double entendre. The first sentence was me being silly.

There was a Mythbusters episode on the moon landing that showed shadows pointing in different directions can come from a single light source. I think it had to do with a 2D image showing a 2D shadow based on a 3D object. This isn't my field of expertise but the conclusion seemed reasonable to me to debunk those you think te moon landing images were faked.

Sounds like they just made up a scientific sounding explanation.
post #174 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmerock View Post

The use of the expression 'cropped in' clearly demonstrates that this person went to art school and should be considered an expert.

I would love to be able to "crop in" things in my pictures. That would be magic to be able to expand the photo after it's been taken!
post #175 of 250
Quote:

to debunk those you think te moon landing images were faked.

Of course it was fake. I read it on the internet!
Tell that to Buzz Aldrin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUI36tPKDg4
post #176 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

He puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else.

I have always been bothered by this saying, am I the only one who puts pants on 2 legs at a time?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #177 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Anyhoo, it's irrelevant. I'm just here combating the sheer ignorance of the people that apparently have too many opinions for their own sake.

And how's that working out for you?
Quote:
Now why would anyone spend so much time making such a good fake for such a stupid story?

Likely for the same reason someone would spend so much time "combating the sheer ignorance of the people that apparently have too many opinions for their own sake".

Dunno???
post #178 of 250
I'm gonna have pizza for lunch!
post #179 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Sounds like they just made up a scientific sounding explanation.

No, they recreated the physical scene in a scale model. It didnt prove that that moon landing wasnt faked, but it did prove that a signal light source can cause shadows that dont appear to line up from a single observation point, thus debunking the conspiracy theorists claims that the pic is proof that it was faked.

PS: The moon landing is more enjoyable than this story.
post #180 of 250
Quote:

Of course it was fake. I read it on the internet!
Tell that to Buzz Aldrin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUI36tPKDg4

That is awesome! Buzz Lightyear* is my hero! I wish I could do that to some of the asshats on this forum but I’m sure they would be timid little mice in person.
post #181 of 250
He did get to jump to the head of the kidney transplant line right?
post #182 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

He did get to jump to the head of the kidney transplant line right?

I dont recall that being the case. I thought the only benefit of his wealth was having a jet on standby to whisk him to wherever hed need to be at a moments notice.
post #183 of 250
Quote:

I dont recall that being the case. I thought the only benefit of his wealth was having a jet on standby to whisk him to wherever hed need to be at a moments notice.

I thought they sent him to Tenn to get the transplant done while pushing him up the list. I could be wrong but I thought this was the case.
post #184 of 250
Quote:

And how's that working out for you?

I'm actually a professional in this matter. Learn your place.

Quote:
Likely for the same reason someone would spend so much time "combating the sheer ignorance of the people that apparently have too many opinions for their own sake".

Dunno???

For exactly the opposite reason.
post #185 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I thought they sent him to Tenn to get the transplant done while pushing him up the list. I could be wrong but I thought this was the case.

From Fortune it sounds like he went to a place with a shorter waiting list. I know they have review boards and I guess he could have greased some palms to be pushed through faster but I cant find any evidence of that.
post #186 of 250
Quote:

Steve is a vegetarian ... which rules out pepperoni. Broccoli pizza ... yum.

Nope, SJ is a vegan ... big difference -> no meat, dairy products, eggs etc. Looking at the online menu for this place I don't see any vegan meals ... so why would SJ be trying to eat a place that doesn't cater for his diet?
post #187 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Jobs is married right?

Who was his "companion?"

Hopefully not that young girl next to him.

I was thinking that, it actually looks in the photo likes hes holding hands with her. Sure its just the angle of the camera.
post #188 of 250
Quote:

I'm actually a professional in this matter. Learn your place.

Pause and silence as we all bow down. Posting of his verifiable credentials and job experience to follow I hope. Let's hope it's at least 20 years full time experience in photo analysis for the CIA. Anything much less compelling and I think I'll assume my place is correct, thank you very much.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #189 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz_silverfox View Post

Nope, SJ is a vegan ... big difference -> no meat, dairy products, eggs etc. Looking at the online menu for this place I don't see any vegan meals ... so why would SJ be trying to eat a place that doesn't cater for his diet?

1) its not uncommon for restaurants to have alternate menu options for those with particular diets.

2) Its not uncommon for restaurants to allow customers to substitute items, or pizzerias to make your own pie.

3) Could Steves doctor told him he needs to alter his diet to maintain his weight?
post #190 of 250
BTW, what happened to Street View on Google. Used to work splendidly on Maps app on iPhone, now seems absent. The version online just gives a tiny thumbnail that is barely discernible with no way I can find to expand. Would love to verify the source of that that one big anomalous shadow that I've been arguing about all day. Any help?
post #191 of 250
Mystery solved. The hotly debated shadow anomalies are obviously a result of the solar flare activity. QED.

No no... no need to thank me. Happy to bring closure to such an important issue.
post #192 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Pause and silence as we all bow down. Posting of his verifiable credentials and job experience to follow I hope. Let's hope it's at least 20 years full time experience in photo analysis for the CIA. Anything much less compelling and I think I'll assume my place is correct, thank you very much.

Bow down, crude mortal, to your knees, for before you lies your GOD of photoshop and image manipulation.
post #193 of 250
Quote:

1) it’s not uncommon for restaurants to have alternate menu options for those with particular diets.

2) It’s not uncommon for restaurants to allow customers to substitute items, or pizzerias to make your own pie.

3) Could Steve’s doctor told him he needs to alter his diet to maintain his weight?

I would tend to agree with you, however, some of the most common reasons for becoming a vegan are ethical commitment or moral conviction concerning animal rights or welfare, the environment, and spiritual or religious beliefs. I believe SJ become a vegan due to his spiritual beliefs, so would only change his diet to suit all the requirements of a vegan.

Not only is cheese-free pizza and egg-free pasta (not using any milk I might add) a little difficult, it must be prepared using utensils, pots, pans etc that have never touched any animal products it must also be cooked in ovens that also has not cooked meat.

It looks like this place prides itself on "salami (that) is made in house, most of our meat comes from whole animals (which we butcher ourselves and utilize in their entirety)" so would be a bit of a stretch to accommodate all the requirements of a vegan. But, hey, I could be wrong.
post #194 of 250
And apparently he was booed on the way out by a few patrons who held up their newly nonfunctional 3G phones. One was heard to shout out "thanks for making my phone so magical".
post #195 of 250
Quote:

Not only is cheese-free pizza and egg-free pasta (not using any milk I might add) a little difficult, it must be prepared using utensils, pots, pans etc that have never touched any animal products it must also be cooked in ovens that also has not cooked meat.

not all vegans are that obsessive.
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #196 of 250
Quote:

I'm actually a professional in this matter.

You get paid to combat the sheer ignorance of the people that apparently have too many opinions for their own sake? That's what I quoted and what you responded to.
Quote:
Learn your place

Don't be a dick. Obviously you haven't learned your place or any common civility.
There are no requirements to be here except having access to a computer.
We both have a place here as long as there is at least a bit of respect.
post #197 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by drow View Post

not all vegans are that obsessive.

It has been reported that SJ takes his vegan diet very seriously.
post #198 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

La rue du Bluff, c'est dans quel arrondissement ?

That's why I will NEVER live in the US: you have so few good restaurants, and, consequently, the good ones are always crowded!

I must admit that when I went to France I was very impressed with the food (amongst other things). I thought that the French would screw up the pizza but it was some of the best I ever had.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #199 of 250
Quote:

It has been reported that SJ takes his vegan diet very seriously.

but the shadows were all wrong, so those reports are obviously fake.
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #200 of 250
Jeez. When did AI turn into TMZ.com? Nuke this thread now, before it destroys the web site from within.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria