or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Alleged next-gen iPod touch part has forward facing camera space

Alleged next-gen iPod touch part has forward facing camera space

post #1 of 59
New photos claimed to be of a front panel for Apple's forthcoming iPod touch upgrade show a spot for a forward-facing camera, providing more evidence that the next-generation media player will support the FaceTime open standard for video chat.

The pictures were sent Thursday to MacRumors, and show a single, centered hole above the screen's display, likely to be used for a camera. The photos allegedly came from an iPhone parts supplier, and are claimed to be of parts from Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPod touch.

The part says "Apple (c) 2010," and also has a production date of April 29, 2010, stamped on the inside.

The photos come a day after illustrations from a case manufacturer showed a camera and flash on the back side of the anticipated iPod touch update. If both of these reports prove accurate, it would mean that the next update to the iPod touch would include two cameras, like the iPhone 4.

Apple planned to build a camera into last year's iPod touch upgrade, but technical issues with bad camera module parts led to the feature being scrapped. It is believed the camera was removed late in the development of the device, as multiple third-party cases were made with camera holes, and space for a camera was discovered inside the final 2009 model after it was disassembled.

The inclusion of a forward-facing camera on the iPod touch would come as no surprise, as Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said his company will ship millions of devices compatible with FaceTime this year alone. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of making FaceTime video chat calls over Wi-Fi.

Apple is expected to introduce its new line of iPods, including an updated iPod touch, at an event in September, as the company does every year.

post #2 of 59
The question is will the rear camera be 5mp or the 3.2mp cam of the iPhone 3GS?

I'm betting on the latter.
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New photos claimed to be of a front panel for Apple's forthcoming iPod touch upgrade show a spot for a forward-facing camera, providing more evidence that the next-generation media player will support the FaceTime open standard for video chat.

To me, this is a no-brainer. The next iPod Touch will include a forward-facing camera and FaceTime. And the next iPad the same.

Does anyone besides me recognize that this is going to revolutionize mobile communications? Does anyone besides me recognize how this is going to hugely add to the value of Apple over the next few years? Apparently not many others, since the price of Apple seems stuck at about $262/share.

Wow. Just wow.
post #4 of 59
If it's true, then it will also have a built-in mic. That will make VoIP so much more useful! Of course, all calls would be on "speakerphone"...
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

If it's true, then it will also have a built-in mic. That will make VoIP so much more useful! Of course, all calls would be on "speakerphone"...

You could plug in headphones.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

post #6 of 59
Next killer app - forward facing camera on ipod.
This will cut the knees out from under the Cell phone companies.
This might be a harbinger of a new long term strategy for Apple. Phoneless communications for the masses.
post #7 of 59
Interestingly, the FaceTime feature was recently deemed to be one of the "least interesting" features for iPhone users and the Retina display was supposedly the most interesting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #8 of 59
Quote:

I wonder how many parents will realise that their kids will now have essentially a free videophone in their bedrooms.

I bet we will hear at least on scary story about Internet predators and young kids after the release and someone, somewhere, is sure to blame it all on Apple.
post #9 of 59
Let me tell you, I sincerely look forward to a FaceTime enabled iPod Touch. All you'd need at that point is a Virgin Mobile mifi (of if you're lucky enough, one of those new Clearwire iSpots), and you have a prepaid 3G-enabled data-only device capable of video and VoIP chat anywhere you are.

Man... Who needs an iPhone at that point? Sure, not as slick, but you pay *FAR* less than an iPhone for both hardware and service, you can pick whichever carrier you wish, including Verizon, and with a Google Voice number, simply connect it with any free SIP service out there and enjoy free voice calls, free voicemail and sms, and, of course, free FaceTime with any other iDevice user!

I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 4 yet for this exact reason. I'd hate to lose my AT&T unlimited plan, but I could simply move to Sprint's Overdrive 4G, pay $15 per month less, and enjoy the WiMax speed when it comes to Los Angeles. Holy crap, my friends, that is awesome!
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

You could plug in headphones.

yea... i guess i didn't make my first post clear. that is what i do now. that is what i am hoping to avoid.
post #11 of 59
Quote:

yea... i guess i didn't make my first post clear. that is what i do now. that is what i am hoping to avoid.

Why don't you just buy and iPhone then?

post #12 of 59
Since we're spreading 'speculation', here's a few more:

Q3 2010 - New Ipod Touch featuring a 3.2mp rear-facing still/video camera, in 32/64/128gb capacities.

Q3 2010 - New 1.7 inch touch-screen iPod Shuffle in 2/4/8gb capacities.

Q3 2010 - Revised iPod Nano essentially the same as today's but in 8/16/32gb capacities.

Q1 2011 - Revised iPhone with a new antenna system and composite back instead of glass.

Q2 2011 - Revised iPad featuring front-facing web camera, available 128gb capacity (only on 9'7inch), new 7 inch version, and all with 3g.

We'll See Soon Enough...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #13 of 59
Quote:

because the iPhone requires a expensive 2 year contract. VoIP on my iPod touch is free. :rollseyes:
post #14 of 59
Quote:

Apple sells the iPod touch and continues to update it with features such as a camera and mic for a reason. Obviously there's millions of people out there who can't or won't buy an iPhone.
post #15 of 59
Quote:

because the iPhone requires a expensive 2 year contract. VoIP on my iPod touch is free. :rollseyes:

Which is exactly why neither Apple nor AT&T are going to allow a front-facing camera on the next generation iPod Touch.

Check back next month...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Next killer app - forward facing camera on ipod.
This will cut the knees out from under the Cell phone companies.
This might be a harbinger of a new long term strategy for Apple. Phoneless communications for the masses.

So let me add some fuel to this....
At&t offered "cheap" 3g plans for the iPad.
If they can offer the same plans for a 3g-enabled ipod touch, there would be zero need for an actual cell phone and an expensive plan.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

To me, this is a no-brainer. The next iPod Touch will include a forward-facing camera and FaceTime. And the next iPad the same.

Does anyone besides me recognize that this is going to revolutionize mobile communications? Does anyone besides me recognize how this is going to hugely add to the value of Apple over the next few years? Apparently not many others, since the price of Apple seems stuck at about $262/share.

Wow. Just wow.

Spoke like a true fanboy!
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post

Spoke like a true fanboy!

I agree with him and I'm no fanboy. What is the difference now between an iPhone and iPod touch other than a 3G chip?

Sprint is said to be developing a case with EVDO for the iPod touch. All you need is Facetime 3G Skype, Fring or the new Vonage/Facebook app and you have an iPhone.
post #19 of 59
Quote:

Skype VOIP plans are much cheaper
post #20 of 59
this camera news is no shocker, it's inevitable - already have the parts, already have the support built into the os....
Sacto Joe: i wouldn't say it revolutionizes MOBILE communications, since you'll have to be in range of WiFi to use it.
one comment above guessed at an 128gb touch - not going to happen in september. the iphone and the touch will probably be bumped to a max of 64gb this year.
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Apple sells the iPod touch and continues to update it with features such as a camera and mic for a reason. Obviously there's millions of people out there who can't or won't buy an iPhone.

I'm one of those millions, I refuse to pay the outrageous monthly fees ATT charges for the use of a smart phone. I'm actually waiting for the new touch to buy one regardless of whether it has a front camera or not, something I wont use anyways.
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The pictures were sent Thursday to MacRumors....

Gee...wonder who lost these parts in a bar?
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Which is exactly why neither Apple nor AT&T are going to allow a front-facing camera on the next generation iPod Touch.

Check back next month...

Right... AT&T is going to bark at Apple about a product that does not even use their network?
post #24 of 59
Quote:

... Q1 2011 - Revised iPhone with a new antenna system and composite back instead of glass. ...

This is total BS. It just shows what a troll you are believing in this crap.

On the other hand this is twice now that you've said the next iPod touch will definitely *not* have a forward facing camera. So, in two months when it turns out you're completely wrong, you'll have to change your handle again to save face Mr. "teckstud."

Better start thinking of a new name right now IMO.
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post

I'm one of those millions, I refuse to pay the outrageous monthly fees ATT charges for the use of a smart phone. I'm actually waiting for the new touch to buy one regardless of whether it has a front camera or not, something I wont use anyways.

Same here. I can't wait for the 4touch.

Yo, "4touch" is so awesome. I just thought of that.
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is total BS. It just shows what a troll you are believing in this crap.

On the other hand this is twice now that you've said the next iPod touch will definitely *not* have a forward facing camera. So, in two months when it turns out you're completely wrong, you'll have to change your handle again to save face Mr. "teckstud."

Better start thinking of a new name right now IMO.

No, because unlike you, I fully understand the American English definition of the word 'speculation', and that makes all the difference.

Note: Just because you constantly misinterpret, misunderstand, and misquote other's words/posts doesn't make your rhetoric/vitriol any less F A L S E.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #27 of 59
Quote:

its clear that AT&T wouldn't want any such thing, but apple? a killer app which steals some other company's shiz? they've been all over that.
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drow View Post

its clear that AT&T wouldn't want any such thing, but apple? a killer app which steals some other company's shiz? they've been all over that.

I certainly can see this happening once the whole AT&T exclusivity ends, but as for now it just doesn't appear to be part of the game plan.

Who Really Knows... ? http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/05/...cetime-camera/
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #29 of 59
Quote:

No, because unlike you, I fully understand the American English definition of the word 'speculation', and that makes all the difference.

Note: Just because you constantly misinterpret, misunderstand, and misquote other's words/posts doesn't make your rhetoric/vitriol any less F A L S E.

More BS.

You've stated this quite categorically as well as the "speculation" you exhibit here. Common sense would easily tell you that you are quite wrong, but also evidenced like this:

and this:

and this quote: "These pictures from MacRumors clearly show a FaceTime camera on the front bezel of a supposed iPod touch 4th generation prototype. They are labeled "Apple (c) 2010," which adds proof to their authenticity and have a build date of April 29, 2010."

What I don't understand is why you even bother. You've been pestering and annoying people on this forum on a daily basis for at least a year, changing your name when you get banned etc. Everything you say is mean spirited or biased/bigoted in some way, you clearly have no idea about technology or much knowledge of what you speak about, people ridicule you daily .... yet ... you still come here every day and spew whatever your nasty thoughts of the day are.

I just don't get people like that and I never will. It's almost like you enjoy being despised.
post #30 of 59
To me, this makes much more sense than the other photos without a front camera for FaceTime. Whether you think FaceTime is useful or not, Apple clearly thinks it's important. Just look at their ads for the iPhone 4. You can bet on FaceTime coming to Macs and iPads as well.
post #31 of 59
But I don't understand why they would do this as it might impact iPhone sales...

Of course, this could be the iPod=>home (video) phone play... that'd rock the casbah.

Ultimately, the more FaceTime clients exist, the stronger Apple gets and more useful video-calling will be.

Anything that kneecaps the telecom cartel is good by me.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 4 yet for this exact reason. I'd hate to lose my AT&T unlimited plan, but I could simply move to Sprint's Overdrive 4G, pay $15 per month less, and enjoy the WiMax speed when it comes to Los Angeles. Holy crap, my friends, that is awesome!

You don't have to give up your unlimited data plan to buy an iPhone 4. I kept mine.

nothing to see here

nothing to see here

post #33 of 59
Quote:

More BS.

You've stated this quite categorically as well as the "speculation" you exhibit here. Common sense would easily tell you that you are quite wrong, but also evidenced like this:

I just don't get people like that and I never will. It's almost like you enjoy being despised.

If you'd take a break from childishly thrashing about angrily about things that really don't matter, you'll notice that I Beat You In Posting This Little 'Photographic Tid-Bit' (via a link, no doubt) By Some 8 Minutes.

Again, I never claimed that my post was anything more than 'speculation' regardless of your F A L S E claims to the contrary.

It's Almost Like You Enjoy Being WRONG!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #34 of 59
Quote:

More BS.

What I don't understand is why you even bother. You've been pestering and annoying people on this forum on a daily basis for at least a year, changing your name when you get banned etc. Everything you say is mean spirited or biased/bigoted in some way, you clearly have no idea about technology or much knowledge of what you speak about, people ridicule you daily .... yet ... you still come here every day and spew whatever your nasty thoughts of the day are.

I find it far more 'interesting' that an individual with a Join Date of Mar 2010, is commenting on matters having happened, "on a daily basis for at least a year".

There also appears to be a large degree of 'transference' in your constant accusations of others being forced of into "changing [their] name when [they] get banned etc.". Hmmm?

For The Record: I, personally, have but this one internet screen name/account, and have utilized it for well over a decade given that I have absolutely nothing to hide, post respectfully, and stand by my posts regardless of idle badgering, bashing, threatening, harassing, and belittlement from those who truly know nothing of what they post.

Have A Nice Day.

Now about that new iPod Touch... One thing's for sure - There Will Be Some Kind of Camera
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #35 of 59
Quote:

I certainly can see this happening once the whole AT&T exclusivity ends, but as for now it just doesn't appear to be part of the game plan.

Who Really Knows... ? http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/05/...cetime-camera/

Why would AT&T have any control over what Apple does with wifi only component of an ipod, or iphone?

Like normal, apple will do what apple wants to do. If apple wants a front facing camera, htey will have a front facing camera.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #36 of 59
I am interested to see how Apple will link iPod Touches with FaceTime. Currently the iPhone Facetime is linked with the iphones phone number. If it was me I would link it with the email addresses in the iPod touch and iPhone 4 Mail as well.
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Why would AT&T have any control over what Apple does with wifi only component of an ipod, or iphone?

Like normal, apple will do what apple wants to do. If apple wants a front facing camera, htey will have a front facing camera.

We'll all know how this plays out in about a month, but with the recent 'ruling' regarding jailbreaking, Apple may have a new perspective on the whole VoiP calling issue.

Personally, I say add all the features you can, as it makes for a more complete consumer product.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #38 of 59
I want to replace my current first generation iPod touch with a new model with camera (pay only $37 a month for unlimited texts and minutes with MetroPCS so iPhone is out of the question) as it would be the perfect device for my job as I input all the text I need in the field into my iPod (can never read my own handwriting!) and have a camera for the pictures I take all in one device (work in the real estate field). However, if the camera is front facing, that makes using it as a still camera pretty much useless as you can't see what you are shooting. Are you supposed to just hold it in the air and guess at what you are shooting, turn it over, and verify that you got what you meant to take a picture of? It seems silly that the only thing you could use this camera for would be to video conference, you can't record anything besides yourself because you can't see what you are recording!
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I want to replace my current first generation iPod touch with a new model with camera (pay only $37 a month for unlimited texts and minutes with MetroPCS so iPhone is out of the question) as it would be the perfect device for my job as I input all the text I need in the field into my iPod (can never read my own handwriting!) and have a camera for the pictures I take all in one device (work in the real estate field). However, if the camera is front facing, that makes using it as a still camera pretty much useless as you can't see what you are shooting. Are you supposed to just hold it in the air and guess at what you are shooting, turn it over, and verify that you got what you meant to take a picture of? It seems silly that the only thing you could use this camera for would be to video conference, you can't record anything besides yourself because you can't see what you are recording!

You're not taking into account that typically most devices featuring front-facing cameras (video conferencing) also have a rear-facing (snapshots and video recording) cameras of higher resolution.

For an example of this implementation just look at the Creative Zii EGG http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10297175-49.html
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #40 of 59
Quote:

You're not taking into account that typically most devices featuring front-facing cameras (video conferencing) also have a rear-facing (snapshots and video recording) cameras of higher resolution.

Ahh, I did not know that, I thought it was only a front facing camera. Will definitely be buying one if this is the case, thanks!

I also love how it's got the sexy iPhone 4 look to it!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Alleged next-gen iPod touch part has forward facing camera space