or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › mDNSResponder issue

mDNSResponder issue

post #1 of 6
I installed a new iMac the other day and I happened to notice that even during times when I should have minimal network activity, the light on my router associated with the iMac port had a steady flash that would not stop. Almost like a someone left a ping going... This is also visible on my Little Snitch network monitor. Looking a little closer it appears as though mDNSResponder is sending a steady stream of packets to port 53 (BIND) at my Primary DNS server. I tried changing to a different DNS server and mDNSResponder just start attacking that one. I see it also hit other Macs on the net, but those are very occasionally as is to be expected.

I have tried turning off just about every bonjour service I can find and don't seem to be able to make it stop. I have other Macs on the network running 10.6.4 that are just fine and don't seem to have this problem

Short of telling mDNSReponder not to advertise, can anyone give me a suggestion what might be causing this and how to make it stop?

I am not alone... see the current topic: http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...19348&tstart=0

Help Please!!!
post #2 of 6
This is not an issue. You will never get your network card to stop sending out packets. Its expected behavior
post #3 of 6
bbwi, I am not talking about mDSNResponder just sending out packets "frequently". I am talking about it sending them out continuously in the tune of thousands an hour to the "primary" (first) DNS server in your list (as defined in your network configuration). These queries are not being responded to by the server. The "send" light associated with Little Snitch is pegged solid red. This is not normal behavior. At the same time, mDNSResponder is continuing to communicate with the other hosts on my network in a normal fashion. I "torched" the network from my router to confirm this fact and page-after-page of packets being sent to port 53 on my router just fly across the page.

I am trying few things to see if can better isolate what is causing the problem. I just though someone on this forum might be able to give me a little insight if they have seen this situation before.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by netispguy View Post

bbwi, I am not talking about mDSNResponder just sending out packets "frequently". I am talking about it sending them out continuously in the tune of thousands an hour to the "primary" (first) DNS server in your list (as defined in your network configuration). These queries are not being responded to by the server. The "send" light associated with Little Snitch is pegged solid red. This is not normal behavior. At the same time, mDNSResponder is continuing to communicate with the other hosts on my network in a normal fashion. I "torched" the network from my router to confirm this fact and page-after-page of packets being sent to port 53 on my router just fly across the page.

I am trying few things to see if can better isolate what is causing the problem. I just though someone on this forum might be able to give me a little insight if they have seen this situation before.

I'm fairly certain that all DNS goes through mDNSResponder under Snow Leopard. That would be why you are seeing lots of traffic on port 53.

Edit:

Yes all DNS does in fact go through mDNSResponder. If you would like to disable the multicast portion you can follow the directions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3789?viewlocale=en_US
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
post #5 of 6
Well I'm not sure if LittleSnitch does packet sniffing but that would be what you need to determine more info. You could also download clamav and perform a scan if you're concerned about virii
post #6 of 6
ok... we think we know what the problem is... and I am 100% sure that a lot of people have this issue, but are just not aware of it.

It seems that the problem is coming from our friends at EPSON (again). Specifically, their "Event Manager" that send information to each printer so that you can initiate scans on the printer by pressing a button (with your mac computer name tagged on it). Turning off the "Enable Network Scan" will make mDNSResponder behave again...

I spoke with both Apple and EPSON. Apple was nice, but no real help. EPSON (I managed to talk to someone in Tier 3 support) says it possibly is a bug with their TCP/IP 10.6.4 software and are going to look into it... right... what a pain...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › mDNSResponder issue