or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersoze View Post

This is poppycock. If you do something that damages the phone, then you voided (not "avoid") the warranty because something you did damaged the phone. If you do something that does not damage the phone, then you do not void the warranty. The logical implication of the claim is that if you jailbreak the phone, you will damage it. This is poppycock.

avoid |əˈvɔɪd|
verb [ trans. ]
1 keep away from or stop oneself from doing (something) : avoid excessive exposure to the sun | the kind of place that Robyn would normally have avoided like the plague.
• contrive not to meet (someone) : boys lined up to meet Gloria, but avoided her bossy sister.
• (of a person or a route) not go to or through (a place) : this route avoids downtown Boston.
• prevent from happening : make the necessary adjustments to avoid an accident.
2 Law repudiate, nullify, or render void (a decree or contract).
-

New Oxford American Dictionary He was actually, technically, correct. When talking about a warranty, you "avoid" the warranty when you violate it. It means, as the second definition clearly states, that you have voided the contract (which a warranty is, as discussed earlier in the thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

That's so cute!

Are those the GOP talking points for the week?


No, they are simply facts. Please go read a bit then come back. If you have some actual information to 'refute' what I said, feel free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

If you think it's not factual you should explain it rather than saying outright that a comment on BP is automatically a political statement.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Clearly this thread is in need of an attorney who specializes in these matters to weigh in. Both sides are stating their cases with a certainty that is most likely based on their world view rather than specific case law. One or the other side may be right, or more likely, the whole thing is uncertain, with cases going every which way depending on specifics and jurisdiction. Please, lawyers, a lil' help for our armchair attorneys?

You've already had a law student weigh in in this thread. There are a number of property-related counts on which successful charges could be brought and a number more that could be used to instill the fear of God in these childish individuals. You don't need an attorney who specializes in these matters, it's a pretty straightforward case of destruction of property (of which vandalism is a type) and trespassing due to their exceeding their license to use the property (their license, quite obviously, did not include a 'right' to destroy property).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

At first I thought "avoids the warranty" - what a clever play on words.

Then I realized that perhaps English is not your primary language.

Either way I like it, because if you do jailbreak your iPhone, Apple will "avoid" doing any warranty work for you.

See the second definition of "avoid", supra.
post #82 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

No, they are simply facts. Please go read a bit then come back. If you have some actual information to 'refute' what I said, feel free.

As the person making the claims in your initial post, the burden of proof is on you.

Looking forward to seeing your sources.

post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

You don't need an attorney who specializes in these matters, it's a pretty straightforward case of destruction of property (of which vandalism is a type) and trespassing due to their exceeding their license to use the property (their license, quite obviously, did not include a 'right' to destroy property).

Teenage misfits are not of legal age to enter into a contract concerning licensing agreements. It is such a minor offense anyway, nobody is going to waste their efforts on even contacting their parents. Just part of doing business. Apple isn't losing any sleep over this. It just ups the coolness factor of Apple products in that age demographic anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbrigette View Post

Okay, I see, they do have some sort of emulator so I could test. I do agree I would like to put my apps on my device, but actually I can still develop something, learn how to do it, etc, without paying.

Actually as a graphic artist I am more interested in epub for iBooks. I found out that if I use Adobe InDesign to make an epub doc I can't put it on my own device (because of the DRM) but I can use Stanza to make epub files from my pdfs that I can put on my own device. I do agree this is a bit crazy!!! However, I do think this is all growing so fast that limits for now are okay. (no way ever am I jailbreaking my device) but in the future I hope that I could actually test my creations on my own iWhatever.

As far as epub is concerned, you can use inDesign to create your own epub documents without restrictions. You might want to look into acquiring this desktop AppleScript 'ePub Zip 1.0.2'. It allows you to make quick edits to your css files without having to republish through ID. Good luck on your adventure into programming, it is a fun ride.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersoze View Post

So you mean to assert that if your iPhone has a manufacturing defect unrelated to your having jailbroken the phone, that they will deny warranty coverage? Do you have any evidence to back this up? Do you know someone to whom this actually happened? It's kind of funny that there are lots of people who say that Apple will do this, but if it were me and I would going to say something of that sort that I know someone else would challenge, I would give the particulars in the first place.

First of all, I am NOT you.

You wouldn't happen to be my long lost cousin, would you?

I'm just asking as my long lost cousin is an a$$hole who likes to act like an attorney and thinks he is the authority on everything.

As to the post I made, it was a jest, i.e. a play on words. Perhaps you need to spend less time articulating your responses and more time bidding on a sense of humor on eBay.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

avoid |əˈvɔɪd|
verb [ trans. ]
1 keep away from or stop oneself from doing (something) : avoid excessive exposure to the sun | the kind of place that Robyn would normally have avoided like the plague.
contrive not to meet (someone) : boys lined up to meet Gloria, but avoided her bossy sister.
(of a person or a route) not go to or through (a place) : this route avoids downtown Boston.
prevent from happening : make the necessary adjustments to avoid an accident.
2 Law repudiate, nullify, or render void (a decree or contract).
-

New Oxford American Dictionary See the second definition of "avoid", supra.

Damn, girlfriend. You didn't have to go all "Oxford" on me.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

As the person making the claims in your initial post, the burden of proof is on you.

Looking forward to seeing your sources.


As much as I love doing your research for you, here:

Halliburton's connection to the spill (they were the ones performing the capping operation):
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...onnection.html
Some basic information on BP's operation and revenue-/profit-by-segment:
http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/BP_(BP)
[If you have access to Scientific American, this is worth a read:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...nergy-leaders]
A bit of information for you on the relatively minor impact the oil spill actually had (as compared to the media's fictional disaster):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...aign-ever.html
More of the same information:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...007202,00.html
More information on the companies involved:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/06...ther-companies
BP has a specific division of the company devoted to alternative energy:
http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?...tentId=7012352
A bit on the investment numbers BP puts into alternative energy:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN1310080220100413
A ranking of the greenest oil companies (BP only recently dropped to third from first):
http://www.greenopia.com/usa/oil_sea...bcategory=None

Happy reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Teenage misfits are not of legal age to enter into a contract concerning licensing agreements. It is such a minor offense anyway, nobody is going to waste their efforts on even contacting their parents. Just part of doing business. Apple isn't losing any sleep over this. It just ups the coolness factor of Apple products in that age demographic anyway.

You seem to have misinterpreted "license" (much like a number of people earlier in the thread and the word "avoid").
When I said "license" I meant the business owner's consent to enter and use its property (the owner in this case is Apple). When you proceed to damage or tamper with Apple's property, your license has been exceeded and is no longer valid (effectively, it's been revoked, even retroactively in some cases). Therefore, you no longer have a license to use the property and are a trespasser.
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Lets run some reality checks against these claims shall we?


Which of course means that the half dozen or so iPhones unrecoverably bricked by my friends during their attempt to jailbreak them are mere figments of their imagination - they will be relieved to know that.


because no one, anywhere at anytime has used jailbreaking to download apps they didn't pay for (when the apps were offered under a price point), yep. Never happened. Ever.


because the demo accounts on the instore iPhones can be switched from the store WiFi to 3G to do it - not even especially creative, besides being stupid and adolescent in general. Perhaps you would allow me to come over a pee in your coffee cup? Many cultures regard urine as a healthy alternative to other beverages - which makes it OK.

If you are going to offer clues to other please at least offer clues that are useable, not this drivel.

Evidence the jailbreak caused the brick not their stupidity-bricking a phone is IMPOSSIBLE from a jailbreak- I M P O S S I B L E - you are misinformed - REMEMBER 90% of consumers are morons in regards to diagnosing their problems with their electronics, computers and personal health - become a developer-then come back and say that - then you'd be an outright liar.

I do agree that it is vandalism in regards to what was done in the store-and probably not a jailbreaker-probably on the side of the jailbreak haters or an inside job. Jailbreakers do not tell everyone with an iphone to jailbreak. They do not want to hack you. Most do not steal apps (mostly an overseas thing). They do it to their own iphones that they pay for. It is legal. It is geeky and only geeks should apply.

Honestly I don't understand why a non-jailbreaker would even have an opinion beyond their own personal view that it's just "not their thing"-I have only seen a couple of intelligent non-jailbreak statements.

It's like gay marriage-two guys wanna get married - who's business is it really? It's between them. Not for you you say-well ok-don't marry someone of the same sex-Gay people don't want you to marry someone other than the person you want. Is their getting married going to mess up marriage as an institution? NO. It will help build it.
Jailbreaking brings to light things that Apple may be missing-OS4 introduces ideas and features bought to light by the jailbreak community which is mostly a great bunch of guys-geeks. We need each other-stop being so gullible to propaganda, trolls, and outright insane nonsense. It gets old.

Now jailbreakers-enjoy your jailbroken iphone and be happy.
Non-jailbreakers-enjoy your factory non-jailbroken iphone. and be happy.

later-
post #89 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the jailbreak process is legal and carries no malicious intent, the exploit utilized to crack the iOS 4 operating system is potentially dangerous and could be used to give a nefarious hacker remote control of someone's phone by simply getting them to visit a website on their phone. Apple this week revealed that it already has a fix in place for the PDF exploit, and it will be included in a forthcoming update to iOS devices.

Makes me think back to the history of Apple's founders. Not sure what 'fun' Jobs used to have, but Woz was more than happy to have this kind of fun.

No one's been harmed by this, and no one is too out of pocket - maybe Apple employees have to reset the display phones a little more often, but that doesn't seem too serious compared to say phone phreaking in a historical perspective, and certainly very small beans compared to some modern hacking. It does however draw attention to the security flaw in iOS that will hopefully make Apple fix it a little quicker, and maybe make them test a little bit more in future.
post #90 of 91

Appears to be wa-A-ay more complicated, than just ``using my hardware how I see fit' '.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #91 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcfarlane View Post

Makes me think back to the history of Apple's founders. Not sure what 'fun' Jobs used to have, but Woz was more than happy to have this kind of fun.

No one's been harmed by this, and no one is too out of pocket - maybe Apple employees have to reset the display phones a little more often, but that doesn't seem too serious compared to say phone phreaking in a historical perspective, and certainly very small beans compared to some modern hacking. It does however draw attention to the security flaw in iOS that will hopefully make Apple fix it a little quicker, and maybe make them test a little bit more in future.

I'm with you on this. Unlike many of the posters on this story, at least they have a sense of humor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores