or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple

post #1 of 202
Thread Starter 
Apple has announced the departure of Mark Papermaster, the head of its iPod and iPhone division. The company's Mac hardware engineering lead Bob Mansfield will assume his responsibilities.

The news immediately stoked speculation that Papermaster's departure might be connected to the negative media attention devoted to the iPhone 4 antenna, but Apple did not indicate whether Papermaster left on his own accord or was asked to leave.

Apple recruited Papermaster away from IBM less than two years ago. The hiring resulted in a legal battle between the two companies over IBM's worries that the executive might take too many of its secrets to Apple.

Apple and IBM reached a settlement in January of 2009 that enabled IBM to keep tabs on Papermater's duties at Apple.

Internal documents that turned up in the legal dispute with IBM revealed that Papermaster was not Apple's ideal choice to lead its iPod and iPhone operations.
post #2 of 202
I'm willing to bet he was fired since he was apparently heading the development of the iPhone antenna.
post #3 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm willing to bet he was fired since he was apparently heading the development of the iPhone antenna.

Apple as a company let this product out the door. did they do no testing? they are all to blame for this fiasco. Jobs stamps everything doesn't he? oh right, he claims the successes, somebody else gets the failures....
post #4 of 202
Ah, the Internets, where facts and speculation blend into a syrupy mix called truthiness
If Papermaster did such a crappy job, why does my iPhone 4 work flawlessly?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #5 of 202
Any speculation where he ends up?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #6 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Apple as a company let this product out the door. did they do no testing? they are all to blame for this fiasco. Jobs stamps everything doesn't he? oh right, he claims the successes, somebody else gets the failures....

Hey clueless "screamingfist" - before you make a post that really really makes you look so stupid you should check the facts. First, only a handful of people complained. In fact, the OVERWHELMING majority of iPhone4 users say that they get much better reception and fewer dropped calls. The solution is actually quite simple - don't touch an area that is 1/16th of an inch in the lower left corner of the phone. 1/16th!!!!! How hard is that? This is something that was totally blown out of proportion by the media frenzy. As for Apple doing testing, I suggest you check out Apple's website where they show off their $100 million + testing facility. Now grow up, and go troll somewhere else.
post #7 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Any speculation where he ends up?

Hewlett-Packard, in the Palm division, probably heading up webOS device hardware engineering.
post #8 of 202
Is it just me or was it a dumb idea to hire a guy from IBM for anything much less to run your most profitable division? Didn't IBM fail miserably at making PCs? They did make a really decent laptop loved by geeks and they turn around and sell it to Lenovo.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #9 of 202
Apparently the iPhone 4 was already being tested 2 years before it was released and obviously before Papermaster started working for Apple officially according to Mansfield during the press' tour at Apple's testing facility. Then another report said that Papermaster was responsible for the antenna and that he was indeed fired.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/07/papermaster-out/

Interesting if true...
post #10 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah, the Internets, where facts and speculation blend into a syrupy mix called truthiness
If Papermaster did such a crappy job, why does my iPhone 4 work flawlessly?

Seriously! First reply states it's because of the iPhone 4 antenna, 2nd reply states that Apple is wrong for putting all the blame on Papermaster for "Antennagate".

Personally, I think if an engineer who loses an iPhone 4 doesn't get fired that Papermaster didn't get fired for helping make Apple's best phone, especially after the lengths Apple went to get him. The truth is probably dull so it probably won't ever be considered on Internet forums.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Any speculation where he ends up?

HP has a CEO position open.

edit: Doh! Pipped by cvaldes1831.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Any speculation where he ends up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Hewlett-Packard, in the Palm division, probably heading up webOS device hardware engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


HP has a CEO position open.

edit: Doh! Pipped by cvaldes1831.

I was going to say exactly the same thing

Head of HP Palm Division and Rubinstein will be CEO of HP.
post #12 of 202
If anything moving to Apple would apparently be a jarring proposition for an ex-IBMer. That company defines bureaucracy (and they employ it rigourously to the point of disadvantaging their clients on occasion). It's almost an OCD mentality.

I am led to understand that Apple doesn't really work that way. There could be something in that.
post #13 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I was going to say exactly the same thing

Head of HP Palm Division and Rubinstein will be CEO of HP.

They say great minds think alike, but in actuality the truly great minds think like no one else.

Seriously though, doesn't this news seem a little coincidental to the timing of HP's "reorganization"?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 202
So, is this saying that the iPhone 4 antenna IS flawed? Or is this just a firing due to many reasons, not just this one?

I don't want to buy my first iPhone if it is indeed flawed and the next version is completely changed, and mine is worth nothing, and does indeed not work as it should.

Or, as some have said, is this STILL overblown and the antenna works as well or better than many of the other top smartphones, and Papermaster's firing has nothing to do with me having a great phone when I get it in a couple of months?

I'd really like to know. I'm so on the fence about this whole iPhone antenna thing. I can't afford to get into a 3 year contract with a flawed phone. Literally, can't afford it. $$$
post #15 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously! First reply states it's because of the iPhone 4 antenna, 2nd reply states that Apple is wrong for putting all the blame on Papermaster for "Antennagate".

Personally, I think if an engineer who loses an iPhone 4 doesn't get fired that Papermaster didn't get fired for helping make Apple's best phone, especially after the lengths Apple went to get him. The truth is probably dull so it probably won't ever be considered on Internet forum.

This the reality of leadership.. Military and Corporations. Your people and/or department screws up, your responsible, and you get fired more likely even if your not directly responsible.
post #16 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

TSeriously though, doesn't this news seem a little coincidental to the timing of HP's "reorganization"?

I hope this is the only reason for his leaving and that "anntennagate" is only a media frenzy and not a truly flawed phone.
post #17 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This the reality of leadership.. Military and Corporations. Your people and/or department screws up, your responsible, and you get fired more likely even if your not directly responsible.

My question though is "Did they screw up?" or is this all overblown since other handsets have the same issue?
post #18 of 202
Well... Someone had to 'take the fall' for these recent fiascos, and we knew it wouldn't be Ole Stevie.

Inside Apple, he's "the guy responsible for the antenna" - that's a quote from a source back on July 23. (Another quote from the same source:

"Apparently the antenna guys used to have a big chip on their shoulder. No more."
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #19 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

So, is this saying that the iPhone 4 antenna IS flawed? Or is this just a firing due to many reasons, not just this one?

I don't want to buy my first iPhone if it is indeed flawed and the next version is completely changed, and mine is worth nothing, and does indeed not work as it should.

Or, as some have said, is this STILL overblown and the antenna works as well or better than many of the other top smartphones, and Papermaster's firing has nothing to do with me having a great phone when I get it in a couple of months?

I'd really like to know. I'm so on the fence about this whole iPhone antenna thing. I can't afford to get into a 3 year contract with a flawed phone. Literally, can't afford it. $$$

If your carrier has a great network and great coverage in your area, then get one. You won't have a problem no matter how long you death grip the s*** out of it. Ask people in your area who has an iPhone 4 if they have issues. Otherwise wait next year. Personally I do think it's overblown. I don't have the issue and neither does everyone I know who has the iPhone 4. But then again it's a real issue for a few people. Not all... Or you can get one, if your having antenna issues then bring it back.
post #20 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well... Someone had to 'take the fall' for these recent fiascos, and we knew it wouldn't be Ole Stevie.

Inside Apple, he's "the guy responsible for the antenna" - that's a quote from a source back on July 23. (Another quote from the same source:

"Apparently the antenna guys used to have a big chip on their shoulder. No more."

Why not? He's been fired before.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They say great minds think alike, but in actuality the truly great minds think like no one else.

Seriously though, doesn't this news seem a little coincidental to the timing of HP's "reorganization"?

I agree. It raised a flag when I read it.
post #22 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This the reality of leadership.. Military and Corporations. Your people and/or department screws up, your responsible, and you get fired more likely even if your not directly responsible.

Converting for technology time, wouldn't this be like blaming Obama for Watergate since this design was established long before he ever had a desk in Cuperinto if the design was set up before he got there?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Apple as a company let this product out the door. did they do no testing? they are all to blame for this fiasco. Jobs stamps everything doesn't he? oh right, he claims the successes, somebody else gets the failures....

That was my first thoughts as well...they had to throw someone under the bus. So Papermaster was the guy.....SB takes all the credit and media accolades when something goes right but he throws Papermaster under the bus when Antennagate needs a sacrifice.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #24 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Didn't IBM fail miserably at making PCs?

Um, no. They sold millions of them and became the dominant maker of personal computers for quite a few years.
post #25 of 202
Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).
post #26 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

If your carrier has a great network and great coverage in your area, then get one. You won't have a problem no matter how long you death grip the s*** out of it. Ask people in your area who has an iPhone 4 if they have issues. Otherwise wait next year. Personally I do think it's overblown. I don't have the issue and neither does everyone I know who has the iPhone 4. But then again it's a real issue for a few people. Not all... Or you can get one, if your having antenna issues then bring it back.

also ask any iphone 4 users living in the countries where iphone 4 was recently released. the consensus is that the antenna problem is with the carrier and not with the phone's antenna design. iphone 4 users in the other countries are not experiencing the antenna problems that users in the United States are experiencing. also, the infamous grip is not a natural way to hold any object—it's just to purposely trigger an undesired respond from a device.

anyway, i think Mr. Papermaster will end up with hp
post #27 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I agree. It raised a flag when I read it.

Gruber's source says he was fired and it was because of the antenna. His sources are typically accurate.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).

LOL...AT&T did not make the phones...Apple did. If the 3G and 3GS never had this type of problem before then why blame AT&T now?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #29 of 202
Ok. Bye.
post #30 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

So, is this saying that the iPhone 4 antenna IS flawed? Or is this just a firing due to many reasons, not just this one?

I don't want to buy my first iPhone if it is indeed flawed and the next version is completely changed, and mine is worth nothing, and does indeed not work as it should.

Or, as some have said, is this STILL overblown and the antenna works as well or better than many of the other top smartphones, and Papermaster's firing has nothing to do with me having a great phone when I get it in a couple of months?

I'd really like to know. I'm so on the fence about this whole iPhone antenna thing. I can't afford to get into a 3 year contract with a flawed phone. Literally, can't afford it. $$$

I'd say this speculation is so far off base its squarely in fantasy land. His division is the most successful and dynamic at Apple right now, and the iPhone 4 is their most successful product, there's no reason to punish him unless... this success was almost completely despite his management abilities. If he wasn't their ideal choice... that should tell you something right there, Apple seems to have an excellent track record with hirings.

I'll bet you an iPhone, that he was just not a good fit for Apple's management team and as a manager required too much oversight from above for his division. Probably just too IBM/corporate to jive with the lean/mean team pushing constantly to keep product after product fresh. Probably a very, very intense job - great for the right person, terrible for the wrong one. When you send your armada out, your don't want the first mate and officers having to constantly bump heads with a captain of your flagship, just to get the damn thing outta port.
post #31 of 202
Papermaster made a mistake. Now it's time to erase that mistake. (substitute Bob Morton for Papermaster to get the movie reference)
post #32 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).

So how much did AT&T spend on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you know?
post #33 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

also, the infamous grip is not a natural way to hold any objectit's just to purposely trigger an undesired respond from a device.

Not to start a shitstorm but I think Apple chose to position the problem as a 'grip' issue rather than the real problem which is an achilles point on the external surface which can in some cases cause the problem when touched.

Notwithstanding that, a friend of mine has ip4 now and we can't make any problems happen. This is in Australia, btw.
post #34 of 202
MSNBC is also speculating that the departure was due to the antenna problem:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38609229...h_and_gadgets/

Quote:
Papermaster, who came to Apple in 2008 from IBM, could not be reached for comment at a phone number listed under his name.

Maybe he didn't get the call because he wasn't holding his iPhone 4 properly.
post #35 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So how much did AT&T spend on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you know?

I don't see it in their SEC filings. Maybe they're hiding their war expenses?

Let's go ask Mark Hurd if HP spent any money on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

post #36 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).

Or maybe not enough wars... what natural resources are in your land?

Pretty damn awesome of us to spend all that money, just to give oil contracts to every other country but the US, including China and Vietnam. The US military is pretty damn powerful, it's surprising how much plundering is not being done, despite all the accusations by armchair nimrods. Sometimes regional stability is important just for maintaining global trade, especially when you're the country responsible for the model for the modern Western world. Our investments in foreign stability and economies is still unmatched by several magnitude than any other country (scratch that... all other countries combined). That Suez Canal is still pretty important to everyone in that neighborhood, and I'm sure that its security is a much greater and pressing concern to all trade than dollar or two fluctuations in just oil prices. It's not like the English still have the muscle to protect it alone.

Then again gutter-snipping trolls never think beyond A equals B, with B usually being the opposing political cult's fault. Maybe your speculation is off base, and the value for US military actions is a little more complicated and diagonal than the strategic planning of a 14-year old?

PS. Inferior telecommunications infrastructure? Never mind the absurdity of this notion, but where do you think your country got the technology? I can't remember which country Alexander Graham Bell & Thomas Edison are from, but only a fool would try to argue that it hasn't been the dominant one in 'magic electronic waves' since the mid 1800's.
post #37 of 202
For a company that went to such lengths to convince the public that there was no antenna problem, firing the guy who came up with the antenna seems... hypocritical?

Are they now acknowledging there is a problem with the antenna?
post #38 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

I'll bet you an iPhone, that he was just not a good fit for Apple's management team and as a manager required too much oversight from above for his division. Probably just too IBM/corporate to jive with the lean/mean team pushing constantly to keep product after product fresh. Probably a very, very intense job - great for the right person, terrible for the wrong one. When you send your armada out, your don't want the first mate and officers having to constantly bump heads with a captain of your flagship, just to get the damn thing outta port.

This is the most plausible assessment I've read on this topic.

It is likely that Papermaster did not get along with one specific person: Steve Jobs. The Devices division was doing great before Papermaster showed up, so he can't claim all the credit. It's likely that Steve got tired of Papermaster and figured that someone else that he liked better could handle the position. I'm guessing that Papermaster reacted to the antenna issue in a way that really rankled Jobs. Maybe Papermaster suggested that they recall all devices. Or maybe he said to ignore the entire thing. We'll probably never know the exact reason, but it is clear that Apple did not want this guy in the limelight.

The fact that an ex-IBMer didn't fit in at Apple isn't surprising at all. The corporate cultures are the diametrically opposed. Even IBM's action in filing a lawsuit to prevent Papermaster from working at Apple is a prime example of how different the company cultures are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Are they now acknowledging there is a problem with the antenna?

Nope.
post #39 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Hey clueless "screamingfist" - before you make a post that really really makes you look so stupid you should check the facts. First, only a handful of people complained. In fact, the OVERWHELMING majority of iPhone4 users say that they get much better reception and fewer dropped calls. The solution is actually quite simple - don't touch an area that is 1/16th of an inch in the lower left corner of the phone. 1/16th!!!!! How hard is that? This is something that was totally blown out of proportion by the media frenzy. As for Apple doing testing, I suggest you check out Apple's website where they show off their $100 million + testing facility. Now grow up, and go troll somewhere else.

hey dummy,
then why is this guy getting the boot?
post #40 of 202
This story = stinking turd
Apple Insider trolls = flies
The stupid comments they leave here = maggots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple