or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

post #1 of 134
Yet another rumor has suggested that Apple will release a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone 4 in January of 2011, citing industry sources who claim the company has ordered millions of chips for production starting in December.

TechCrunch reported Sunday that Apple is planning to begin production of a Verizon iPhone in December, citing informants in the overseas supply chain. That would put the handset on track for a January launch -- a date that has been previously rumored.

"Sources with knowledge of this entire situation have assured me that Apple has submitted orders for millions of units of Qualcomm CDMA chips for a Verizon iPhone run due in December," author Steve Cheney wrote. "This production run would likely be for a January launch and I'd bet the phone is nearly 100% consistent with the current iPhone 4 (with a fixed internal insulator on the antenna)."

The report also noted that the CEO of Verizon is scheduled to give the opening keynote at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, and the announcement of a Verizon iPhone could serve as a bombshell for the show. Cheney gave the caveat that he cannot say "with 100% accuracy" that a Verizon iPhone will arrive in January, though he said that "all of the signals point that way."

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for some time, but reports of the device launching in the coming months have gained considerable steam of late. In June, when Bloomberg said it was told that Apple would start selling a CDMA handset in 2011, marking the end of exclusivity in the U.S. for AT&T.

Soon after, another report alleged that Apple has built and perfected a CDMA iPhone, and could quickly begin production of the device whenever a deal is struck with Verizon. An earlier June report alleged that Apple would ship a Verizon iPhone in the fourth quarter of 2010, also citing industry sources.

The endless Verizon iPhone rumors quieted earlier this year, when Apple announced the iPad, and the 3G-capable version of its touchscreen tablet was not compatible with Verizon's network. But they picked up again, when The Wall Street Journal, in late March, said that Apple was working on two new iPhones -- the iPhone 4, and a CDMA-capable version that were said to go into mass production in September.
post #2 of 134
We all know that this is coming, but really?

Reminds of the epitaph on the tombstone of a hypochondriac:

"See, I told you I was sick!"
post #3 of 134
What would really lock this rumor in is if there was proof that Verizon is currently scrambling to upgrade and expand their network in anticipation of handling the instantly added call and date load when the iPhone went live on their system.
post #4 of 134
Call me when Apple and Verizon have a joint press conference.
post #5 of 134
I wish this rumour would die already. A Verizon iPhone - which, btw, wouldn't even have the option of a carrier unlock and would only be ever sold with Verizon, a large but limited market - has been set for a guaranteed at least a dozen times since release.
post #6 of 134
I say keep the rumors coming. The one thing we all know for sure....one day the rumor will prove to be right!

One day....one day.
post #7 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... I'd bet the phone is nearly 100% consistent with the current iPhone 4 (with a fixed internal insulator on the antenna)....

Whatever the veracity of the rest of it, this part (bolded) would seem to be an add-on guess by the person in question. It doesn't appear to even make sense. "fixed internal insulator"???

This person doesn't know what they are talking about at least in that regard.
post #8 of 134
>>> The report also noted that the CEO of Verizon is scheduled to give the opening keynote at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, and the announcement of a Verizon iPhone could serve as a bombshell for the show.

I would think Apple would reserve the announcement for themselves.
post #9 of 134
Is there an option of a carrier unlock in the US right now with the iPhone? Nope. If you want to use your iPhone in Europe, even though the networks are compatible, you have to jailbreak because AT&T will do nothing for you. And if you've fulfilled your 2 years with AT&T, can you get a carrier unlock to use it with T-Mobile? Nope. So the current iPhone might as well be a CDMA phone for all the good it will do you on a GSM network besides AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I wish this rumour would die already. A Verizon iPhone - which, btw, wouldn't even have the option of a carrier unlock and would only be ever sold with Verizon, a large but limited market - has been set for a guaranteed at least a dozen times since release.
post #10 of 134
God I hate Verizon and CDMA. But this is welcome news and long overdue. Apple should have ended the deal with AT&T immediately after they dumped unlimited data plans for iPhone and iPad.

My assumption is that Apple has been building & testing a CDMA handset internally for years, much in the same way they announced that they had Intel builds of OS X internally from the beginning, long before they dumped PowerPC.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 134
Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally.

How would this new iPhone be branded? "The new iPhone USA. Because that is where it works.", or "The new iPhone 5. With more limited network coverage."

Or are everyone assuming that the next iPhone would support CDMA in addition to GSM and UMTS? Then it would make sense.
post #12 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Or are everyone assuming that the next iPhone would support CDMA in addition to GSM and UMTS? Then it would make sense.

I hope not, why would anyone outside the US want to pay extra for CDMA internals, that most of them would likely never use?
post #13 of 134
Quote:

Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally.

How would this new iPhone be branded? "The new iPhone USA. Because that is where it works.", or "The new iPhone 5. With more limited network coverage."

There are enough rumors about CDMA iPhones on this site that one could make an entire site out of them. I think what you are looking for is China. They use CDMA as well.
post #14 of 134
Quote:

China's largest carrier uses CDMA. They have over 300 million customers. They have said that they want the iPhone on their network. That alone is worth it.
post #15 of 134
Quote:

Supporting both chips is costly in every way. From actual chip costs and licensing fees to size and power efficiency. It’s the least likely thing to happen to the iPhone. If it’s so great an option why aren’t all these other vendors who make larger phones not simply making all their phones both CDMA and GSM for the same model if it’s such an ideal solution? They aren’t because it’s a very niche solution with too many limitations right now to be viable.

And there is a huge number of CDMA users in the US and one thing holding back the iPhone sales on two fronts (assuming they weren’t already selling every model they can make). One, some people can’t or won’t change to AT&T. There are valid reasons for this. Two, there are plenty of countries Apple has tapped that an iconic status symbol like the iPhone would sell well, though not in the numbers we’d see in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

China's largest carrier uses CDMA. They have over 300 million customers. They have said that they want the iPhone on their network. That alone is worth it.

No, it’s not. There smallest carrier with only 65M subs is CDMA. There two largest MNOs account for about 12x as many subs are GSM-based with their largest carrier with over 550M subs using TD-SCDMA for their 3G. TD-SCDMA is not CDMA. It’s an alternative to W-CDMA, which the iPhone and Europe uses, and even uses the same UMTS air interface. It’s not CDMA!!!!

PS: WHy does this keep getting pushed around as fact when it’s complete BS?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 134
Quote:

I've been skeptical in the past. But this time, I am going "hmmmm.....".

ATT made some recent comments in their 10Q that would lead me to conclude that this could, indeed, be happening: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons
post #17 of 134
Quote:

By your logic, why does anyone bother making any phone for Verizon and Sprint?

There are more CDMA users in the US than GSM. Apparently those people are satisfied with their coverage and are not all running to ATT and Tmobile.
post #18 of 134
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn, Another rumor.

Eventually it might happen but nobody really knows. While ATT is building up its line up with the new droid and the new blackberry touch it looks possible. However a January launch???? after the holidays?????
post #19 of 134
Quote:

I don't think the iPhone has a branding problem.
post #20 of 134

Here's a thought?

Could Apple successfully release a CDMA iPhone without a Verizon deal?

Let' look at the US potential for a CDMA iPhone:

If Apple signs up Sprint Nextel they would gain an immediate 48.2 million potential subscribers-- or an addition of 50% of their current potential with AT&T. If Apple signs up the second tier carriers, that's another 40 million potential subscribers.

Gene Munster estimates that US iPhone sales for this year will be "AT&T which we estimate will sell 15.8M units to its sub base of 82.5M." That equals 19% of the AT&T subscribes (for the whole year-- or [roughly] 5% of the subscriber base per quarter.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_verizon.html

Apple's world-wide sales last year skewed to the last quarter Oct-Dec-- about 35%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

Let's be conservative, and not take into account any buzz associated with the iPhone being available for the first time on these carriers. Also, let's ignore the second tier carriers and assume only Sprint Nextel's 48 million subscribers. Finally, lets assume that Apple announces availability of a CDMA iPhone on Sprint beginning Oct 1, 2010.

Assume Munster's [adjusted} percentage applies--5% per quarter of total subs. We'll ignore any skewing of 4th quarter holiday sales.

48 million Nextel subs x 5% penetration == 2.4 million CDMA iPhone 4s to Nextel in 4Q CY 2010.

Not too bad!

But the story doesn't end there. If you cherry pick some world-wide carriers, you get a lot more potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs.

and

That's over 110 million additional potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs in just 2 world markets.

Finally, a CDMA iPhone 4 deal with Sprint would certainly end the AT&T exclusivity agreement.

That potentially opens up a deal with T-Moblle and its 33.6 million subs for a GSM iPhone 4.

Hmmmm.

All charts are from links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #21 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

However a January launch???? after the holidays?????

From a production/quality control/logistics standpoint, it might be easier for Apple to wait until after the Christmas season. Esp. if they are also coming out with their white iPhone by that point.
post #22 of 134
Foxconn starts construction any day now on a second iDevice plant. So I suppose they can be fully operational by December given the massive amount of person power they can quickly put to work in China. Awesome people management skills there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Construction starts on Auguat 20th and expected be fully operational within a year. Perhaps in time for the iPhone 5 production.

I stand corrected.

In any event, I sure as heck wouldn't want a CDMA nor a Verizon iPhone. Hope it's not a nightmare for Apple. Wonder how a CDMA iPhone will be able to perform internationally? New hybrid design with sleeping GSM on board?

Smells like trouble to me, but then we are still only in the perpetual rumor zone on this subject. I trust Apple to have an effective plan that will make the seemingly impossible work well. I just doubt Verizon's ability to perform their Role the Apple Way as AT&T has done so well these past 3 years.

For me, Verizon's willingness to actively try to end Net Neutrality with Google puts them on my s##t list of companies I would never do business with and which should be boycotted by all sentient beings. AT&T is a superior service provider that deserves our loyalty as the charter US iPhone carrier who followed Steve after Verizon told him to shove it. Why should we forgive them for that? I say NEVER FORGIVE VERIZON for thumbing their noses at Steve 4 years ago.

They do not believe in, nor will ever be, the Apple Way.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #23 of 134
If it happens... It Happens.

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in something with a 3.5inch screen (regardless of pixel density), and no longer even buy iPhone/iPod Touch apps, only apps specifically created for my iPad.

I'm sure that there are many who will be trilled as the prospect of having the iPhone on a much more reliable network (for now that is), but I'm not one of them, and will continue to support Verizon's Android-Powered smartphone lineup exclusively.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #24 of 134
Simultaneous Voice & Data? Carry Over Minutes?

Those are the first 2 Qs that come to mind when the topic of iPhone on Verizon comes up.

No Simultaneous Voice & Data = castrated, limited iPhone!

No Carry Over Minutes = stolen money, rip off, a trap for overtime fees
!

Other Qs:

CDMS only, or Dual CDMA-GSM Chip? Ideally Triple Chip, with the addition of LTE... But then, we are still in 2010, so it's probably way too soon for Dual, never mind Triple Chip!

Plan Prices?, Data Limits? are among other Qs...

Another trade off - supposedly a more stable, but slower, and not as tested Verizon network! Now VZ will get to back up their network superiority claims! The "moment of truth" is finally coming, I guess!?

How would iPhone on VZ will be different from ATT during the International travel in terms of fees and all else?

Insurance for iPhone?

Otherwise, this rumor is very annoying, until it is no longer a rumor, but a reality! It can't be confirmed now, because ATT could lose sales with people waiting for Verizon iPhone...

Go  Apple!!!

Go  Apple!!!

post #25 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's a thought?

Could Apple successfully release a CDMA iPhone without a Verizon deal?

Let' look at the US potential for a CDMA iPhone:

image: http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/US...ubscribers.png

If Apple signs up Sprint Nextel they would gain an immediate 48.2 million potential subscribers-- or an addition of 50% of their current potential with AT&T. If Apple signs up the second tier carriers, that's another 40 million potential subscribers.

Gene Munster estimates that US iPhone sales for this year will be "AT&T which we estimate will sell 15.8M units to its sub base of 82.5M." That equals 19% of the AT&T subscribes (for the whole year-- or [roughly] 5% of the subscriber base per quarter.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_verizon.html

Apple's world-wide sales last year skewed to the last quarter Oct-Dec-- about 35%.

image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uarter.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

Let's be conservative, and not take into account any buzz associated with the iPhone being available for the first time on these carriers. Also, let's ignore the second tier carriers and assume only Sprint Nextel's 48 million subscribers. Finally, lets assume that Apple announces availability of a CDMA iPhone on Sprint beginning Oct 1, 2010.

Assume Munster's [adjusted} percentage applies--5% per quarter of total subs. We'll ignore any skewing of 4th quarter holiday sales.

48 million Nextel subs x 5% penetration == 2.4 million CDMA iPhone 4s to Nextel in 4Q CY 2010.

Not too bad!

But the story doesn't end there. If you cherry pick some world-wide carriers, you get a lot more potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs.

image: http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Br...ubscribers.png

and

image: http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Ch...ubscribers.png

That's over 110 million additional potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs in just 2 world markets.

Finally, a CDMA iPhone 4 deal with Sprint would certainly end the AT&T exclusivity agreement.

That potentially opens up a deal with T-Moblle and its 33.6 million subs for a GSM iPhone 4.

Hmmmm.

All charts are from links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

Nice work, and i agree, while Verizon is the largest single carrier for CDMA its not the only choice. If Apple gets this new 200k per day iPhone factory going and they get ahead of demands without Verizon playing ball (likely) and Sprint willing to do whatever Apple wants (likely) to get the iPhone then we may a very different setup in the US.

Remember that Apple started off selling the original iPhone to the lesser carriers in each country. They could do this again with CDMA.

PS: It looks Brasil is foregoing CDMA/EV-DO in favour of GSM/UMTS technology.

PPS: I wouldnt count any of the MNVOs in those lists. Its hard to tell which ones are with Sprint and Verizon, expect for the ones with LTE planned are obviously leasing from Verizon.
post #26 of 134
Quote:

No, its not. There smallest carrier with only 65M subs is CDMA. There two largest MNOs account for about 12x as many subs are GSM-based with their largest carrier with over 550M subs using TD-SCDMA for their 3G. TD-SCDMA is not CDMA. Its an alternative to W-CDMA, which the iPhone and Europe uses, and even uses the same UMTS air interface. Its not CDMA!!!!

That's good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still their 65 million along with sprint, verizon and some other CDMA carriers would make for a nice market.
post #27 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Simultaneous Voice & Data? Carry Over Minutes?

Those are the first 2 Qs that come to mind when the topic of iPhone on Verizon comes up.

No Simultaneous Voice & Data = castrated, limited iPhone!

No Carry Over Minutes = stolen money, rip off, a trap for overtime fees
!

Other Qs:

CDMS only, or Dual CDMA-GSM Chip? Ideally Triple Chip, with the addition of LTE... But then, we are still in 2010, so it's probably way too soon for Dual, never mind Triple Chip!

Plan Prices?, Data Limits? are among other Qs...

Another trade off - supposedly a more stable, but slower, and not as tested Verizon network! Now VZ will get to back up their network superiority claims! The "moment of truth" is finally coming, I guess!?

How would iPhone on VZ will be different from ATT during the International travel in terms of fees and all else?

Insurance for iPhone?

Otherwise, this rumor is very annoying, until it is no longer a rumor, but a reality! It can't be confirmed now, because ATT could lose sales with people waiting for Verizon iPhone...

Verizon has been working on a fix for the SV&D without having to implement EV-DO Rev. B. For all we know, this was ordained as a requirement for getting the iPhone, not that they need to bend to Apples will, but AT&T is coming awfully close to being the largest carrier in the US.

The iPhone aside, if AT&T can advertise itself as the largest and fastest carrier, and if they fix some of their inherent issues with the new spectrum usage the only remaining issue is coverage area which really is going to only affect a very small number of people so it might behoove Verizon to get the iPhone to stay ahead of the game.
post #28 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

If it happens... It Happens.

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in something with a 3.5inch screen (regardless of pixel density), and no longer even buy iPhone/iPod Touch apps, only apps specifically created for my iPad.

I'm sure that there are many who will be trilled as the prospect of having the iPhone on a much more reliable network (for now that is), but I'm not one of them, and will continue to support Verizon's Android-Powered smartphone lineup exclusively.

I also would really like the screen to be larger, while still keeping the unit very pocketable. (Therefore, for me, iPad, has a quite different function and area of use.)

But one might hope that Apple will make an iPhone with a 4 inches display. It can easily be done roughly within the present footprint.
Gaddy
Gaddy
post #29 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Still their 65 million along with sprint, verizon and some other CDMA carriers would make for a nice market.

Absolutely! Ill stay with AT&T as I get coverage in my area, its the fastest, and I wont go back to voice without data, but Id love for there to be a CDMA/EV-DO iPhone.

Id also like to see a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobiles 550M subs. They add about 5-6 million new subs each month.
post #30 of 134
Couldn't care less. Verizon did me wrong in the past, and now I'm perfectly happy with AT&T.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #31 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

From a production/quality control/logistics standpoint, it might be easier for Apple to wait until after the Christmas season. Esp. if they are also coming out with their white iPhone by that point.

They could announce in time for Xmas buying season and offer a phone gift card, with product delivery in January.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #32 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenandersen View Post

But one might hope that Apple will make an iPhone with a 4 inches display. It can easily be done roughly within the present footprint.

I doubt it. Apple could have gone bigger with the iPhone 4 when they upped the resolution. They could have made the pixels a little less dense (likely cheaper) and altered the aspect ratio while still being well within the Retina Display levels for a person with 20/20 vision.

On top of that, it would mean a lot more than simply having developers double the resolution of their images and recompile their apps, it would mean a very different setup, or buttons would be larger than they need to be. it would change everything in the UI.

I think its safe to say that a 3:2 3.5 display was set upon a long time ago and that is what will stay for the several years to come.
post #33 of 134
post #34 of 134
Quote:

Nice work, and i agree, while Verizon is the largest single carrier for CDMA its not the only choice. If Apple gets this new 200k per day iPhone factory going and they get ahead of demands without Verizon playing ball (likely) and Sprint willing to do whatever Apple wants (likely) to get the iPhone then we may a very different setup in the US.

200 K per day... I like the sound of that! Kinda' like the sign on a car driving through France: "Brest or Bust!"

Quote:
Remember that Apple started off selling the original iPhone to the lesser carriers in each country. They could do this again with CDMA.

Yes! I had forgotten that! It gives Apple leverage and the carriers the incentive to [out]perform!

Quote:
PS: It looks Brasil is foregoing CDMA/EV-DO in favour of GSM/UMTS technology.

PPS: I wouldnt count any of the MNVOs in those lists. Its hard to tell which ones are with Sprint and Verizon, expect for the ones with LTE planned are obviously leasing from Verizon.

Exactly! Because less is known (by me) of those markets, I chose to display their subs but not base any sales projections on them.

I have been against an Apple CDMA phone, but in favor of a "Universal" phone that could run on all of the major carriers, world-wide.

But, until that is practical, I would like to see Apple address the CDMA market (I changed my mind). From what I read, CDMA will be replaced by LTE-- but that will take at least 4 years. During those 4 years, CDMA will be the fallback for existing CDMA carriers.

I don't think it is wise for Apple to exclude the CDMA market for the next 4 years (or longer).

post #35 of 134
Blackintosh is back. My ban has been lifted. Don't bother to get up.

Funny I was just saying this afternoon how it's been a while since we've had a Verizon rumor.
post #36 of 134
Quote:

Absolutely! Ill stay with AT&T as I get coverage in my area, its the fastest, and I wont go back to voice without data, but Id love for there to be a CDMA/EV-DO iPhone.

Id also like to see a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobiles 550M subs. They add about 5-6 million new subs each month.

SOT!

Re AT&T coverage. I've never had a problem-- I live 60 miles East of San Francisco (notorious for poor reception). We have always had decent reception since the original iPhone. With the later iPhones, we couldn't always get 3G and it would often degrade to Edge. No dropped calls, but not the best web performance.

AT&T has been quietly improving 3G reception and fleshing out its network-- at least around here.

Thursday, evening I was at a long (2 1/2) hour soccer practice in the middle of a large park. Nothing much interesting was happening on the field.

I whipped out my trusty iPad 3G and had a good signal-- what the hell, let's see if I can get NetFlix.

Long story short-- I took about a minute to startup and cache the movie. Then, it worked flawlessly!

I was able to scrub way forward and back and it would resume play after 1 or 2 seconds. I switched to another movie with the same results. I could barely tell the difference between the 3G reception and the AT&T Uverse cable we have at home.

That's nice!

post #37 of 134
Quote:

Quote:

Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally..

Absolutely wrong. CDMA is used by at least one of the Chinese networks and several other networks around the world. Nowhere near as many as GSM, but many millions of potential customers.

For example:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/...ion_technology
"A Sprint CDMA phone should work in most of Central and South America and the Caribbean along with New Zealand, Indonesia, China and Taiwan, South Korea, India, Israel, Thailand, and a few U.S. territories."
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Christmas production runs generally end in October or early November. December is an ideal time to switch product mix and ramp up for a January launch. You have excess production capacity available from your biggest quarter which should allow for a very fast ramp-up.
post #39 of 134
Anyone know what Verizon are like in terms of selling into the corporate market? Most people I know who get their phones given to them by the big companies they work for are on AT&T, and the only people I know on Verizon have bought the phones themselves.

It's not exactly been a scientific study by me (!) but I wonder if anyone here knows whether Verizon go after the corporate market as hard as AT&T.
post #40 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

200 K per day... I like the sound of that! Kinda' like the sign on a car driving through France: "Brest or Bust!"

Construction starts on Auguat 20th and expected be fully operational within a year. Perhaps in time for the iPhone 5 production.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release