or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release - Page 3

post #81 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofflee21 View Post

I mean, if they were gonna make a CDMA phone, they would have bent for China as well, which was a 3 fold increase in market size. If they didn't do it for 450 million customers, I don't see them doing it for 80 million.

Are you just fraking with us by repeating this nonsense?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

. The one thing I like best about the Evo is is takes full advantage of my wifi which so far is the only smartphone that I can get to speed test over 20mbps.

Welcome to the club.

The fastest I've been able to get on AT&T is 3.1 mb.

Flash? Never heard of that one.
post #83 of 134
Quote:

With 4G my average is around 4.2 in a solid 4G area. The one thing I like best about the Evo is is takes full advantage of my wifi which so far is the only smartphone that I can get to speed test over 20mbps.

Also the Evo got Android 2.2 last week which has worked well so far. Also puts the Steve Jobs myth aside that Flash 10.1 can't run well on a smartphone.

1) Do you keep 4G on all the time or only when you need it due to the battery drain?

2) Have you checked the testing and review sites to see what the max is for the EVO on 802.11g and n? From why I've read the iPhone 4 still beats other smartphones with 802.11b/g/n chips despite having a lower CPU clock by an estimated 25%. In any case, all are great for a phone in 2010.
Quote:
Brian Klug of Anandtech has retested using a methodology similar to ours. *They used PDFs instead of MP3s which might actually be better because iPhones web browser seems to be more aggressive at downloading. *Theyve now managed to get their iPhone 4 to pull 24 Mbps downstream in 802.11g mode and 29.6 Mbps in 802.11n mode. *That is as fast as one can expect from an 802.11g network but the iPhone 4 falls short of the 70-80 Mbps you can get on an 802.11n enabled notebook or netbook. *However, the iPhone 4 seems to be much faster than the Google Nexus One in this round of testing. *The Nexus One only managed to pull an average of 14.4 Mbps in 802.11n mode and peak at 20 Mbps.

3) I'd like to see these tests of Flash running well on Android. EVERY review and demo I've seen shows it causing slow page load times, wonky page scrolling, and a major drain on your battery. And that's on 1GHz CPUs with 512MB RAM, but worst of all it's August 2010 and this promise of Flash on all smartphones (sans the iPhone) is still not even close to being a reality. When Apple is the only holdout an their is negliable page load times and battery drain then Flash can claim a victory, but seeing as Flash the desktop is still not capable of resving these issues I am not holding my breath.
post #84 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofflee21 View Post

I agree. Apple's been pretty clear about the one-size-fits-all. I mean, if they were gonna make a CDMA phone, they would have bent for China as well, which was a 3 fold increase in market size. If they didn't do it for 450 million customers, I don't see them doing it for 80 million. Everyone says they have proof but no one thinks about philosophy. Is Apple really the company to make two phones and troubleshoot for both? Aren't they the ones that make one device that works everywhere? Besides, only Verizon uses CDMA. Not many other providers outside America use it.

Here's a list of the 3 China carriers:

Apple has a deal with #2 China Unicom with 147 million subs

The current iPhone will not run on #3 China Telecom with 65 million subs-- it requires a CDMA phone

Apple is in endless negations with #1 China Mobile with 538 million subs -- it could use the current iPhone

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #85 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Absolutely wrong. CDMA is used by at least one of the Chinese networks and several other networks around the world. Nowhere near as many as GSM, but many millions of potential customers.

For example:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/...ion_technology
"A Sprint CDMA phone should work in most of Central and South America and the Caribbean along with New Zealand, Indonesia, China and Taiwan, South Korea, India, Israel, Thailand, and a few U.S. territories."

They are in the process of shutting down the NZ CDMA-One network.
post #86 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Welcome to the club.

Here's the faster of 4 tests on my iP4.

They were all over 10 mb download and 1.41 upload.

Notice: only 2 bars-- must be the superior iP4 antenna that delivers decent speeds with only 2 bars

Distance from the router didn't seem to make a difference!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #87 of 134
I can't find a WiFi performance test for the EVO 4G on AnandTech's site but this is has the Nexus One with Froyo. I have to assume it's been tweaked since these tests because that is pretty bad.

PS: Froyo is an absolutely brilliant update to Android over 2.1 that I have some trouble believing those results aren't from 2.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Welcome to the club.

image: http://img441.imageshack.us/i/screen...00808at709.png

I've seen some users getting 5.x Mb/s on AT&T's network at times. Regardless, at these rates I don't think getting 3, 4 or 5 Mb/s on a phone isn't as important as the power it uses to access to make that happen. There is no '4G' tech that can even come close to the power efficency of HS*PA for a similar speed. Verizon will have the same issue, too. This gives AT&T and T-Mobile USA several years before they will have to play catch up to Verizon's network speed maxs for their handsets.
post #88 of 134
I stand corrected: I guess AT&T has been working on their network.

3G
post #89 of 134
Quote:

Is that on an iPHone 4? We don't have one yet. My daughters iPhone is a 3Gs. Flash now works on my Evo with 2.2 but like I was telling Solip its not exactly ready for primetime when it comes to smartphones. Battery takes a pretty hard hit when viewing Flash content.

ATT certainly has a fast 3G network if you are in a good area. Living in Atlanta I have never had an issue with any carrier because the coverage is solid with Verizon, ATT and Sprint.

I would say with 3g I am only around 2mb with my Evo.

For me Android is just something I wanted to give a try. So far its been a mixed bag, some things I like and others Apple is light years ahead in my opinion.

Yeah, that's the iPhone 4. My 3GS could only muster about 15 mb. I've gotten over 30 on my iPad.
post #90 of 134
Quote:

That wasn't the comment any of us were taking about

So what. Your refrain is old. And boring. Like DaHarder's.

Surprise us, guys.
post #91 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Notice: only 2 bars-- must be the superior iP4 antenna that delivers decent speeds with only 2 bars

LOL I can get great WiFi speeds even with no bars from AT&T. Crazy¡

Quote:

For me Android is just something I wanted to give a try. So far its been a mixed bag, some things I like and others Apple is light years ahead in my opinion.

I think we can agree the iPhone is still best smartphone for the typical consumer and that you got an Android phone with their best OS release. Froyo is a very impressive upgrade over 2.1. I'm sure if that says more about how good 2.2 is or how bad 2.1 was but the end result is very impressive results that put Apple's JS benchmarks to shame. Other things are harder to directly compare.
post #92 of 134
Quote:

Is that on an iPHone 4? We don't have one yet. My daughters iPhone is a 3Gs. Flash now works on my Evo with 2.2 but like I was telling Solip its not exactly ready for primetime when it comes to smartphones. Battery takes a pretty hard hit when viewing Flash content.

ATT certainly has a fast 3G network if you are in a good area. Living in Atlanta I have never had an issue with any carrier because the coverage is solid with Verizon, ATT and Sprint.

I would say with 3g I am only around 2mb with my Evo.

How do you guys afford to try all these various Android phones? Don't ETFs kill you? AT&T has a family plan where additional iPhones are at a reduced base rate (data is still the same).

To educate myself, I would be willing to try an Android phone-- but I just can't justify the additional cost & 2 year tie-in.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #93 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL I can get great WiFi speeds even with no bars from AT&T. Crazy¡

Woosh! It runs even faster w/o a SIM card to slow it down!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #94 of 134
Quote:

Yeah my iPad will hit 30. My daughter keeps wanting to wait until the white iPhones are available. I thinnk she might have to give up on that and settle for black.

The fabled White iPhone 4 (which is white because of the use of exotic Unicorn horn shavings) will out-fabulous the black one, the Evo, and the Droid X, possibly even the iPad.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #95 of 134
Quote:

Yeah my iPad will hit 30. My daughter keeps wanting to wait until the white iPhones are available. I thinnk she might have to give up on that and settle for black.

I wanted the white one too, but I couldn't wait.

I've placed my iPhone 4's sim card into my iPad just to see how it would work. Not bad, but tethering is so much easier, though. Make sure you try that when she gets it.

Oh, it's a shame handylight was pulled from the app store, it's such a wonderful app.

If anyone missed out, send me a pm.
post #96 of 134
Quote:

We are talking about technology. If you can't handle that then stay out of the conversation.

Exactly what technology are you taking about?

It's all all just a bunch of impressionistic data points -- with a dollop of your biases -- that are being thrown around.

Wake me up when this gets to be a serious technology conversation.
post #97 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here you go, you got your wish:

The Greater Question Is: Why are you answering a post that was directed solely/specifically to (screen name) Postulant?

I know a few of you in here have multiple AI Identities, but seriously now, have some dignity -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #98 of 134
Quote:

So what. Your refrain is old. And boring. Like DaHarder's.

Surprise us, guys.

Not nearly as 'old' as your tired, ineffective attempts at building 'Strawmen' at an alarming rate when left unable to answer any/all legitimate inquiries directed your way.

You say you like Apple... How Do You Like Those Apples?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #99 of 134
Quote:

OK, The fastest I can get on my iPad is about 10.88 -- about the same as my iPhone.

What are you guys using to setup/monitor your WiFi?

I have the latest AirPort Extreme and ATT U-Verse.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #100 of 134
Quote:

OK, The fastest I can get on my iPad is about 10.88 -- about the same as my iPhone.

I'm using Apple's Time Capsule - Dual Band. I'm only actually paying for 20 mb, but I always seem to get between 25 - 30 mb.

iPad:

post #101 of 134
Quote:

While this may very well be a first I have to agree with Quadra that fragmentation is hurting the Android experience.

I think hell just froze over.
post #102 of 134
Quote:

If you using an internet-based test your bottle neck is likely going to AT&Ts U-Verse. There are ways to check your LAN speeds, but I dont know if any of them work with the iOS.
post #103 of 134
Quote:

I have the advantage of working for IBM. Most of the stuff I get I simply ask for, its one of the perks of being oncall 24x7 and having 20+ years with the same company.

Right now IBM at least in the Southeast works with both Verizon and Sprint. I believe we get a 25% discount from each with it comes to the plan. Not sure what we pay for the hardware. Sprint is always an option for me and we switch back and forth between Verizon and ATT depending on who outbids who at the time.

My department got iPad as management awards when they first came out so I got that for free and I just pay for the data plan.

Ahh... I understand-- when we owned the computer stores, we got freebees of all the latest whatever... great to be in that position!

I worked for IBM DPD 1963-1980 (Riverside, Las Vegas, Des Plaines, Tucson, Palo Alto). The most I ever got was a 300 baud modem (in an oak box) that rented for $79 per month (so I could run APL on a 2740 terminal), and A HP programmable calculator when I was in the Palo Alto Systems Center...

...Got lotsa' raises, awards, and some neat trips, tho!

In those, early days, you could deduct 10% of your gross pay to accumulate in a stock purchase plan... but the stock price was raising so fast, it was difficult to catch up!

Great Company! IBM had about 450,000 employees when I left.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #104 of 134
Quote:

Here's the faster of 4 tests on my iP4.

They were all over 10 mb download and 1.41 upload.

Distance from the router didn't seem to make a difference!

Thanks for reinforcing what everyone already knows: San Francisco networks are outdated.
post #105 of 134
I would say "some other carrier" by Jan 2011. I am once again skeptical about Verizon because it has not transitioned to sim cards yet. Perhaps T-Mo will get it.

The only reason why I would say it is possible is because Apple is not #1 or #2 in terms of sales, which could promt Apple to just bite the bullet, swallow the cost of redesigning the iPhone to make it CDMA compatible (it's very tightly packed so I would assume the likelihood of finding CDMA components to fit into existing design would be kinda low, unless it's already been designed for both).

If only all carriers were GSM we wouldn't be having this stupid problem.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #106 of 134
Why does saying something manifestly true mean I am bashing Android? Just because the apps aren't there yet, doesn't mean they won't be. Things change, especially with the sales numbers Android has been racking up lately.

Quote:

Here you go, you got your wish:
post #107 of 134
There is too much smoke here not to be some fire. The WSJ report, AT&T's recent note, etc.

My wife still has her Incredible, but I returned mine to Amazon within my 30-day cancellation period. Using the old iPhone 3g (on T-Mobile) until January. If Apple doesn't do anything by then I will probably go back to an Android phone.

BTW - anyone see this analysis:
http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits...buy-me-now.ars

Gruber talked about it. Not a surprise that AI didn't say anything, since this is now AndroidSucksInsider.com, but the author perfectly argues what I have been thinking: Apple needs to move to all 3 major carriers soon in the US or it is game over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I would say "some other carrier" by Jan 2011. I am once again skeptical about Verizon because it has not transitioned to sim cards yet. Perhaps T-Mo will get it.

The only reason why I would say it is possible is because Apple is not #1 or #2 in terms of sales, which could promt Apple to just bite the bullet, swallow the cost of redesigning the iPhone to make it CDMA compatible (it's very tightly packed so I would assume the likelihood of finding CDMA components to fit into existing design would be kinda low, unless it's already been designed for both).

If only all carriers were GSM we wouldn't be having this stupid problem.
post #108 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Foxconn starts construction any day now on a second iDevice plant. So I suppose they can be fully operational by December given the massive amount of person power they can quickly put to work in China. Awesome people management skills there.I stand corrected.

In any event, I sure as heck wouldn't want a CDMA nor a Verizon iPhone. Hope it's not a nightmare for Apple. Wonder how a CDMA iPhone will be able to perform internationally? New hybrid design with sleeping GSM on board?

Smells like trouble to me, but then we are still only in the perpetual rumor zone on this subject. I trust Apple to have an effective plan that will make the seemingly impossible work well. I just doubt Verizon's ability to perform their Role the Apple Way as AT&T has done so well these past 3 years.

For me, Verizon's willingness to actively try to end Net Neutrality with Google puts them on my s##t list of companies I would never do business with and which should be boycotted by all sentient beings. AT&T is a superior service provider that deserves our loyalty as the charter US iPhone carrier who followed Steve after Verizon told him to shove it. Why should we forgive them for that? I say NEVER FORGIVE VERIZON for thumbing their noses at Steve 4 years ago.

They do not believe in, nor will ever be, the Apple Way.

Why do people make such a big deal about a CDMA/GSM hybrid phone? There are several BB phones available on Verizon which also have a slot for a SIM card for the times you travel outside the US. This is a non-issue.
post #109 of 134
Quote:

I believe 10.88 using Uverse is about right. If I remember correctly Uverse is about 12mbps unless you upgrade to their 22mbps. At least that is what is offered here in Atlanta.

I have 30mb service with Charter and I get on average 28-30mb on my iPad so if you have 12mb service with uverse your iPad is taking full advantage of your broadband.

I use a linksys E3000 dual band router.

Thanks-- I'll check with AT&T.

I've been monitoring channels and changed a few settings-- but everything stays the same.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #110 of 134
Quote:

Supporting both chips is costly in every way. From actual chip costs and licensing fees to size and power efficiency. It’s the least likely thing to happen to the iPhone. If it’s so great an option why aren’t all these other vendors who make larger phones not simply making all their phones both CDMA and GSM for the same model if it’s such an ideal solution? They aren’t because it’s a very niche solution with too many limitations right now to be viable.

All good points. Obviously we'd love a phone that just ran anywhere and everywhere but everything is a trade off

Qualcomm has said though for a couple of years that they're going to make chips that help transition from CDMA to LTE, and they do make chips that do that. I'm not sure of the detail though and can't find much ... perhaps someone else can tell us more.

For example, in 2008 Qualcomm announced: (http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2734)
The MDM9600 supports UMTS, HSPA+, EV-DO Rev. B, UMB and LTE, making it a multi-technology world chip for global phones. The MDM9800 supports EV-DO Rev. B, UMB and LTE and is likely being made specifically to help Verizon transition from CDMA to LTE.

Interesting that it supports 3GSM as well as CDMA & LTE. What it doesn't list is GSM (2G). Could Apple release a phone that replaces support for 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE with support for CDMA EVDO? And if so would they release 2 models? (same high end support, but CDMA fall back vs GSM fall back)?

(btw: Telecom NZ has 3G850 and 3G2100 - but no 2G GSM at all... because it used to have CDMA (and still does).)
post #111 of 134
Quote:

PS: It looks Brasil is foregoing CDMA/EV-DO in favour of GSM/UMTS technology.

Actually Brasil's Vivo has already finished deploying GSM 3G countrywide a few years ago, even before the introduction of the iPhone (which they have been offering since the 3G version) in Brasil. They still support their old CDMA network, but just for their old customers who still haven't bought new phones. Brasil's four largest carriers are all GSM 3G and all offer the iPhone, which can also be bought unlocked and without contract (although at a very steep price).
post #112 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Thanks for reinforcing what everyone already knows: San Francisco networks are outdated.

Yeah, but this is broadband & I did try LA, Seattle Denver, etc.-- with worse results.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #113 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

All good points. Obviously we'd love a phone that just ran anywhere and everywhere but everything is a trade off

Qualcomm has said though for a couple of years that they're going to make chips that help transition from CDMA to LTE, and they do make chips that do that. I'm not sure of the detail though and can't find much ... perhaps someone else can tell us more.

For example, in 2008 Qualcomm announced: (http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2734)
The MDM9600 supports UMTS, HSPA+, EV-DO Rev. B, UMB and LTE, making it a multi-technology world chip for global phones. The MDM9800 supports EV-DO Rev. B, UMB and LTE and is likely being made specifically to help Verizon transition from CDMA to LTE.

Interesting that it supports 3GSM as well as CDMA & LTE. What it doesn't list is GSM (2G). Could Apple release a phone that replaces support for 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE with support for CDMA EVDO? And if so would they release 2 models? (same high end support, but CDMA fall back vs GSM fall back)?

(btw: Telecom NZ has 3G850 and 3G2100 - but no 2G GSM at all... because it used to have CDMA (and still does).)

Thats how I would expect Qualcomm to advertise their chips. They need to build on CDMA/EV-DO/LTE or CDMA/EV-DO/UMTS/LTE. One thing to note is that article is 6 months before Qualcomm officially announced dropping UMB, the head-to-head competitor to LTE for 4G tech.

I doubt that MDM9800 ever get past the idea stage, but that its moot. When Qualcomm does come out with a CDMA/EV-DO/LTE chip adding UMTS would make sense considering its popularity and Qualcomms patent holdings. What doesnt make sense is GSM, but that is also moot because it doesnt mean it cant be added to the logic board and be used the way it now.

I havent seen a teardown of a world mode phone but all the specs Ive read have the same four GSM bands as all other GSM-based phones, so it may be a separate chip. The only real limitation would be if youre limited to less than 5 UMTS bands like you are now. Im hoping for the next iPhone to have 6 UMTS bands so T-Mobile USA can get on board.
post #114 of 134
whyyyyy keep reporting on this? If it happens for sure then let us know.... :-)
post #115 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere View Post

whyyyyy keep reporting on this? If it happens for sure then let us know.... :-)

Sites like AppleInsider keep reporting this tired rumor because it generates pageviews.

Like yours. Like mine.
post #116 of 134
I'm sure Verizon will feel a strain on their network much like AT&T did in the beginning, due to so many people buying an iPhone as well as those that are going to "jump ship" from AT&T.
This could actually be a blessing for AT&T since some people will leave to Verizon, freeing up some of the strain on their network.
I could care less what carrier has it. I'm just glad to see there will be some competition for the price of the data plans. Hell, Sprint is selling unlimited EVERYTHING for $69. I only wish AT&T would do the same. I pay $69 for unlimited voice alone, $30 for unlimited data, and $20 for unlimited texting. That's $119 a month (before taxes), $50 more than Sprint for the same damn service!
Hopefully the iPhone does go to Verizon and prices for these plans will start to drop and get on par with Sprint.
I only hope...
post #117 of 134
Apple will NOT suffer the PR nightmare of releasing a new iPhone or new network barely 30 days after the Christmas (yes, I said Christmas) selling season. Expect something in the Spring.
post #118 of 134
I definitely want a CDMA iPhone because Canada has very limited GSM service. Virtually everywhere I go, I cannot get a signal for my 3G iPad, but my CDMA phone gets a full strength signal. I really do want an iPhone, but unless it's CDMA, I won't be able to use it.

It's the second largest country in the world, and if you want your phone to actually work in 90% of it, you need CDMA. Even most of the areas that the coverage maps show as having HSPA coverage, you get no signal at all, not even GPRS.
post #119 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I definitely want a CDMA iPhone because Canada has very limited GSM service. Virtually everywhere I go, I cannot get a signal for my 3G iPad, but my CDMA phone gets a full strength signal. I really do want an iPhone, but unless it's CDMA, I won't be able to use it.

It's the second largest country in the world, and if you want your phone to actually work in 90% of it, you need CDMA. Even most of the areas that the coverage maps show as having HSPA coverage, you get no signal at all, not even GPRS.

This sounds familiar.
post #120 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

...http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/...ion_technology
"A Sprint CDMA phone should work in most of Central and South America and the Caribbean along with New Zealand, Indonesia, China and Taiwan, South Korea, India, Israel, Thailand, and a few U.S. territories."

Excellent point. It's possible that the CDMA iPhone could be only for foreign markets. Apple would maintain AT&T exclusivity, if such a deal is still in effect, but would be sending a crystal clear message to AT&T and Verizon. As in "We're ready. Are you guys ready?"

Then again, all those rumored CDMA chips could be for a Verizon 3G iPad...

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release