or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Papermaster's Apple exit a result of falling out with Steve Jobs

Papermaster's Apple exit a result of falling out with Steve Jobs - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

What this bodes for

Warren Buffet

remains to be seen.

Don't know about the others, but Buffett's succession planning is transparent, and well under way: http://www.heritageinstitute.com/gov...succession.htm
post #42 of 62
"Papermaster's Apple exit a result of falling out with Steve Jobs"... about the failings of, and subsequent negative press surrounding, the iPhone 4's antenna system.

There... All Fixed Now
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Don't know about the others, but Buffett's succession planning is transparent, and well under way:

He's also 80 years old this month so that's not a real surprise.
post #44 of 62
Quote:

Don't know about the others, but Buffett's succession planning is transparent, and well under way: http://www.heritageinstitute.com/gov...succession.htm

So is Jobs. Except he hasn't made part of his will public like Buffet has.
Quote:
BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY'S CORPORATE GOVERNANCE GUIDELINES

10. Management Succession

Assuring that the Company has the appropriate successor to the current Chief Executive Officer in the event of his death or disability is one of the Board’s primary responsibilities. The Company does not anticipate that the Chief Executive Officer will retire other than due to disability. The Chief Executive Officer reports annually to the Board on executive management succession planning and makes available, on a continuing basis, his recommendation on succession in the event he were disabled. The Board and the committees of non-management directors and independent directors regularly review succession planning and the strengths and weaknesses of certain individuals currently employed by the Company who could succeed the Chief Executive Officer in the event of his death or disability.

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/gov.../berkshire.htm

Quote:
APPLE INC. CORPORATE GOVERNANCE GUIDELINES

XIX.\tMANAGEMENT REVIEW AND SUCCESSION PLANNING
The Compensation Committee should conduct, and review with the Board, an annual evaluation of the performance of all executive officers, including the CEO. The Compensation Committee is expected to use this review in the course of its deliberations when considering the compensation of the CEO and senior management. The Board also reviews the CEO performance evaluation to ensure that the CEO is providing effective leadership of the Corporation. As part of the annual evaluation, the Board and the CEO should conduct an annual review of management development and succession planning for senior management, including the CEO.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...R5cGU9Mw==&t=1

post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Or we'd be saying "so THAT'S how the most successful company in America operates. What can we learn from that."

Who's the most successful? Apple? It really depends on how we measure company's success. Apple is very interesting company because they aren't like others, but, frankly, there's a piece of ``antennagate' ' in nearly every product by Apple.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"They added that Mr. Papermaster didn't appear to have the type of creative thinking expected at Apple and wasn't used to Apple's corporate culture, where even senior executives are expected to keep on top of the smallest details of their areas of responsibility and often have to handle many tasks directly, as opposed to delegating them."

So does this mean that Steve Jobs failed regarding the Apple corporate culture by not handling the tasks directly, as opposed to delegating them when it came to Mr. Papermaster? You can't get more senior executive then Steve!

It seems as those who must not be named are throwing out excuses and like mud against a wall, see what sticks!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

HOLY F*** I just Googled "LOAOROFL" as you have written it and your post just a few minutes earlier was already indexed!

Google KNOWS ALL
Google WATCHES ALL
HEIL GOOGLE!

Well what do you think is happening on the android platform. When you write email, sms, take pics etc. Someone at google will definately be able to index and access that!!!
post #48 of 62
so, f that guy. What's next?

Oh, and bad press is better than no press.
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Where the hell have you been?

Did you bother to read the thread and look at the references. (In your case, the Globe & Mail and The Financial Post links in the reference above)

Nobody said anything about having discussions. We are talking about senior management and in particular, Jobs.

And if you are so sure, supply a reference. Not a bloggers comment.

Where have you been?

You said it's morbid, I said it's not, it's pure business. In fact, as one other person has said, it doesn't even have to be morbid. You can phrase it as when a person win's the lottery, gets promoted, retires, etc...

As for Apple confirming a succession plan, I have this link:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=arvMlXeFV098

And even Steve has hinted in Quarterly Conferences that there are many at Apple that could fill his shoes.
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Where have you been?

You said it's morbid, I said it's not, it's pure business. In fact, as one other person has said, it doesn't even have to be morbid. You can phrase it as when a person win's the lottery, gets promoted, retires, etc...

As for Apple confirming a succession plan, I have this link:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=arvMlXeFV098

And even Steve has hinted in Quarterly Conferences that there are many at Apple that could fill his shoes.

I was responding to this comment:
Quote:
Quote:

Apple is Jobs and Jobs, Apple. Given his (unfortunately) finite lease on life, the Jobs 'put' will now be back in a big way in Apple's share price. Hope Apple's Board is getting on board by putting in place a succession plan, and will plan to publicize it.

This wasn't a 'general' request to produce a 'succession' plan. This was in reference to a personal health problem of one individual. I find such a suggestion as morbid.

VIrtually every public company has a 'Succession' statement in its Governance. Apple as it did when Jobs went on leave and as every other company has, has an interim plan in place in the event of an emergency. They don't as previously referenced generally name a replacement; certainly not a permanent one. And if they do, they don't post it.
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More likely "don't hire an IBM guy for a key position at Apple". The cultures are just too different.

The opposite would also be true. Jobs or Cook could never run IBM successfully.

I agree, regarding Jobs.

But I strongly disagree regarding Cook. Like Jobs, he is a detail-oriented workaholic genius. But unlike Jobs, Tim Cook is an inside the box thinker. And unlike CEO, Chief Operating Officer is one of the few roles at Apple where it pays to be inside the box (CFO is another). I know for a fact that Jobs values Mr Cook's attitude every single day. Cook is not only inside the box, he understands the inside of the box better than almost everyone else. He might as well have invented the box.

Cook would be a valuable CEO at any company other than Apple. Whoever follows Jobs as Apple's CEO needs to have a flair for thinking outside the box so that that message can be propagated down through all levels (with the exception of COO, and perhaps CFO.)

Thompson
post #52 of 62
Quote:

So is Jobs. Except he hasn't made part of his will public like Buffet has.

(excerpts from BH's and AAPL's corporate governance documents on succession.....)

Nice finds!
post #53 of 62
Having a falling out with Steve is not that hard to do.

Having one that costs you your job, is.

I think the funny part here, if there is one, was how hard IBM tried to block his being hired at Apple in the first place.

Perhaps Apple should have thanked them?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I know for a fact that Jobs values Mr Cook's attitude every single day. Cook is not only inside the box......

You do? Why/how? (Not being snarky at all; serious question).
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More likely "don't hire an IBM guy for a key position at Apple". The cultures are just too different.

You made my day! As one whose firm was gobbled up by IBM in the mid-1980s, I can tell you how the two cultures were like colliding galaxies! This was Rolm - a real go-getter of a company whose motto for employees was "A Great Place To Work." Then the suits came in and drained the pool, brought on board such luminaries as Rob Enderle, and the talent just fled the scene founding their own outfits or joining other startups. IBM looked around one day and said, "Huh? Wha' happened?" Then they sold the remains of a great company to Siemens.

When I was on assignment in the UK I can recall a division mgr coming over and bringing a 2nd level manager simply to act as his driver!
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

There a lot of fun things to do in life besides work. {lay with kids/grandkids...

Oh yeah! Now it's my turn to ROFLMAO

I know, I know, it's a simple misspelling but the result turned out funny.
post #57 of 62
Quote:

You do? Why/how? (Not being snarky at all; serious question).

I'll see whether I can get time to look up the references, but in previous interviews, Steve Jobs has sung the praises of Tim Cook in a very large way.

Thompson
post #58 of 62
Quote:

When I was about 10 years old, I remember saying how I wished that Christmas would come earlier. To which my father simply said, "So you wish to die sooner?"

Hoping that Apple's Board would be planning Job's successor "given his (unfortunately) finite lease on life," is morbid to say the least. And "plan(s) to publicize it,' even more so.

I can't recall any company doing so. Or anybody of high moral grounds wishing such. Why should Apple be any different?

Do we really need to get into "the next CEO of Apple?"

Imagine coming home from work and finding your spouse and kids planning your funeral. What a great incentive to live.

Some companies have a mandatory retirement or step-down age for their CEOs. Does Apple?
post #59 of 62
What it is not easy to work with Steve Jobs? What a shocker. I thought God was supposed to be merciful!!!!
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

What it is not easy to work with Steve Jobs? What a shocker. I thought God was supposed to be merciful!!!!

No, you have it all wrong.
I am merciful.
Steve isn't.

s/ God
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.

It's called Watergate-gate

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Some companies have a mandatory retirement or step-down age for their CEOs. Does Apple?

What is this? Logan's Run?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Papermaster's Apple exit a result of falling out with Steve Jobs