or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Nuclear power and nature

Nuclear power and nature - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Last April (2009), at the local Earth Day event here, there was a "Smart Car" stand, amongst the usual clutch of electrics and hybrids. As this vehicle is really small and lightweight, I assumed the mpg would be unbeatable, having seen publicized mpg statistics in Europe and the UK of between 60 and 70 miles per gallon. However, the people on the Smart Car display I spoke with quoted me no better than 36mpg for typical city driving... which strikes me as utterly lousy for 'new technology'.... I have a little 18 year old Dodge Colt I use for a runabout and that gets similar gas mileage... around 32 mpg for city driving! (The 1.2 : 1 difference between a US and an "Imperial" gallon doesn't account for these "discrepancies").

It turns out that many high mpg European cars, both hybrids and diesels, are illegal in the US.... (!!!). Different emission standards are often bandied around as a "justification", but it seems 'inconsistent" that, for example, a gas swilling Hummer is OK on US roads, whereas the diesel version of the Mini Cooper, which can get up to 75mpg, is verboten. Anyway, what is the mission behind these "different emission standards", and what is the reasoning cited by lawmakers as to what's permissable and what is not?

20 years ago i had a 1980-ish Honda CRX... It got nearly 50 mpg on the freeway (nearly = high 40's). Even around town it got 35-40 mpg.
So now, 30 years after that car was built, no one even makes one that does as well any more.

Emissions and safety requirements have made cars LESS fuel efficient. They're not allowedtoburn fuel completely, and are so heavy (with airbags, intrusion beams, massive bumpers, ABS systems, etc) that it takes too much energy just to move them.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

20 years ago i had a 1980-ish Honda CRX... It got nearly 50 mpg on the freeway (nearly = high 40's). Even around town it got 35-40 mpg.
So now, 30 years after that car was built, no one even makes one that does as well any more.

Emissions and safety requirements have made cars LESS fuel efficient. They're not allowedtoburn fuel completely, and are so heavy (with airbags, intrusion beams, massive bumpers, ABS systems, etc) that it takes too much energy just to move them.

Yeah, those Hummers and Escalades are really heavy because of all the emission and safety features. Gas guzzlers all which should be banished
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Yeah, those Hummers and Escalades are really heavy because of all the emission and safety features. Gas guzzlers all which should be banished

Don't be an idiot. Even a brand new Prius doesn't get mileage as good as that Honda did 30 years ago. Nor does the SmartCar, nor does a brand new Fiesta.

Hell, my Ford Excursion gets better mileage than a Prius!
post #44 of 57
I purchased a 1996 Geo Metro hatchback in 2006 and owned it for a couple years. 3 cylinder Suzuki engine, 1.0 liter, manual transmission. The engine was easy to work on, even for a non-mechanic like myself. It averaged 43 mpg over the time I owned it. I kept detailed gas mileage records using the fueleconomy.gov website.

I drove it to work every day, and even took it on a trip from Phoenix to eastern Idaho and back. It was the most economical vehicle I have ever owned.

I sold it because I didn't feel safe in it. I would often get passed and cut-off driving around down - even though I kept up with the flow of traffic. People seemed to drive aggressively around me - I suppose to show how cool they were and how lame I was for driving a pregnant roller skate. I would just laugh all the way to the gas station.

But one day after a near miss from some idiot who decided to merge into my lane with me in the way, I decided I'd had enough. I want to make it home to my family in one piece if I can help it.

I miss being able to drive 350+ miles on 1 tank of gas and only have to put 9-10 gallons in it to fill it up.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Don't be an idiot. Even a brand new Prius doesn't get mileage as good as that Honda did 30 years ago. Nor does the SmartCar, nor does a brand new Fiesta.

Hell, my Ford Excursion gets better mileage than a Prius!

My modified plugin Prius averages 82mpg.
My wife's regular Prius 43 mpg.

I just wonder what this has to do with nuclear power.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I purchased a 1996 Geo Metro hatchback in 2006 and owned it for a couple years. 3 cylinder Suzuki engine, 1.0 liter, manual transmission. The engine was easy to work on, even for a non-mechanic like myself. It averaged 43 mpg over the time I owned it. I kept detailed gas mileage records using the fueleconomy.gov website.

I drove it to work every day, and even took it on a trip from Phoenix to eastern Idaho and back. It was the most economical vehicle I have ever owned.

I sold it because I didn't feel safe in it. I would often get passed and cut-off driving around down - even though I kept up with the flow of traffic. People seemed to drive aggressively around me - I suppose to show how cool they were and how lame I was for driving a pregnant roller skate. I would just laugh all the way to the gas station.

But one day after a near miss from some idiot who decided to merge into my lane with me in the way, I decided I'd had enough. I want to make it home to my family in one piece if I can help it.

I miss being able to drive 350+ miles on 1 tank of gas and only have to put 9-10 gallons in it to fill it up.

Haha, "pregnant roller skate"!

We disagree on most things and I don't expect you to catch up any time soon, but...

I completely agree about not feeling safe. I used to cycle a lot but feel much more timid about now, cycling in traffic than I used to when i was in my twenties, most of the time it's fine, but wheras when i used to crash, get hit etc and get straight back on my back as if it nothing happened, now I'm much more weary.

The last winter i spent in the US i drove along a road in thick snow and saw two vehicles that had slid off the road, they were both SUV's. The great thing about knowing you're vulnerable is you tend know your limits better, if o ly because you have too.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #47 of 57
Can someone explain to me, eespecially BR, why nuclear power is so so so lovely when Spain has the power from windmills alone the epuivalent of 40 average sized nuclear power stations.
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Can someone explain to me, eespecially BR, why nuclear power is so so so lovely when Spain has the power from windmills alone the epuivalent of 40 average sized nuclear power stations.

Hands, comma issue these guys love socialized energy. They want to depend on the gov who they hate to secure their E supply. Confused yet? They have comma issues. I forgot the radioactive waste, they want folks to be able to have fun with that.
More waste, more fun.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Hands, comma issue these guys love socialized energy. They want to depend on the gov who they hate to secure their E supply. Confused yet? They have comma issues. I forgot the radioactive waste, they want folks to be able to have fun with that.
More waste, more fun.

Their fusking retarded! Their comma omunists!
post #50 of 57
Quote:

More waste, more fun.

They're fusking retarded! Their comma omunists!
post #51 of 57
Quote:

More waste, more fun.

They're fusking retarded! They're comma omunists! ... and they're, most importantly, the disease.
post #52 of 57
Quote:

... and they're, most importantly, the disease.

We will find a cure. We always do.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #53 of 57
Quote:

We will find a cure. We always do.

Mass vaccinations
post #54 of 57
Quote:

More waste, more fun.

Correction:
Sentence 2:
They want to depend on the SMALL gov who they hate to secure AND PROVIDE their E (just in case: E is for energy) supply.

in addition.
The smallest possible government will also be in charge of all the nuclear material. Yeah baby.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #55 of 57
Quote:

Correction:
Sentence 2:
They want to depend on the SMALL gov who they hate to secure AND PROVIDE their E (just in case: E is for energy) supply.

in addition.
The smallest possible government will also be in charge of all the nuclear material. Yeah baby.

I know your not religious worm and neither am I, but I believe that Jesus is the God of all light. I remember someone on radio asking what Jesus thought hell was. Jesus, they said, said it was like garbage can or whatever... rediculous when you thonk about it. Man now engines, energy etc damaging fundamentals of planet system... less rediculous... We have a probrem Huston... Still hell is still hell, but our planet's future, that's a big issue that causes real pain.
post #56 of 57
Quote:

I know your not religious worm and neither am I, but I believe that Jesus is the God of all light. I remember someone on radio asking what Jesus thought hell was. Jesus, they said, said it was like garbage can or whatever... rediculous when you thonk about it. Man now engines, energy etc damaging fundamentals of planet system... less rediculous... We have a probrem Huston... Still hell is still hell, but our planet's future, that's a big issue that causes real pain.

Paradise is where you create it.
Atheism saves.
Reason will prevail, no doubt. Evolution is the law.
A minute spent praying is a minute wasted inventing.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #57 of 57
Quote:

Global warming is blamed for the devastating forest fires that can now turn into a nuclear disaster. Moscow has the hottest summer ever.

Global warming is FALSELY blamed for the devastating forest fires in Russia.

It's Official: NOAA Finds That Russian Heat Wave Was 100% Natural - CO2 Warming Not Even A Factor

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Nuclear power and nature