or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple offers volume educational discounts for App Store purchases
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers volume educational discounts for App Store purchases

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Apple this week announced the App Store Volume Purchase program for iOS devices, allowing educational institutions to purchase mobile software in volume at a discounted price for devices like the iPad.

Apple Education informed customers of the new program on its mailing list this week. It allows qualified institutions to purchase apps for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch in volume, and then distribute that software to users.

The new program allows educational institutions to purchase multiple copies of the same application at once, and it also gives developers the opportunity to discount software when purchased in bulk.

The new offering from Apple comes after some schools have started to require that students who enroll own an iPhone or iPod touch. Even Apple's recently launched iPad has also found success in higher education as a learning tool.

Institutions can now buy mobile applications by purchasing a "Volume Voucher" from the Apple Store for Education. The vouchers can be bought in denominations ranging from $100 to $10,000. The program will also allow purchase orders and other payment options, and will recognize the tax status of the institution and bill accordingly.

Once the volume vouchers are received, they can be given to the Program Facilitator, a new account type that allows individuals -- such as a dean, a professor, a school principal or a teacher -- to redeem vouchers through the program.



Purchasing software through the App Store Volume Purchase Program will result in the facilitator being sent an e-mail with app-specific codes, one code per license. End-users, such as students or faculty with an iOS device, can then redeem the codes in the same manner in which users redeem a gift card on the App Store.

The Volume Purchase Program also includes an optional, separate agreement that allows institutions to use one or more iTunes accounts to sync multiple iOS devices. Using this, an institution can set up devices with generic iTunes accounts and control what apps are available on a device.

More information on Apple's new Volume Purchase Program for the App Store is available in a list of frequently asked questions on the official site.
post #2 of 14
Seems reasonable - what is the discount? Does Apple eat it or is it shared with the developer?
post #3 of 14
If only there were more desirable/useful 'educational' titles available for iOS devices.

Maybe Soon...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #4 of 14
A device as snappy as an iPad means there's less time waiting on the device, and more time learning from what's on the screen lol
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Seems reasonable - what is the discount? Does Apple eat it or is it shared with the developer?

As I understand it, developers have to choose to be a part of the program and which of their apps is included. It is not for all apps across the board. And the discount is apparently as much as 50%. That might be across the board or might be something the developer can pick. Or even perhaps a scaling like 30% for up to X codes, 40% of you get x+1 to Y or 50% for Y+1 to Z.

Since the developers opt in they would share in the reduced earnings. So say an app was normally $1 and now it is 50 cents. They would get 70% of the 50 and Apple gets the other 30%

To be honest I suspect that the only folks that might opt in are the text book type folks with a few other things like the guys that make Elements, the language apps etc.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

To be honest I suspect that the only folks that might opt in are the text book type folks with a few other things like the guys that make Elements, the language apps etc.

I could see this being helpful for applications that are rather expensive, apps with college level type need. I am a film major and I bought Storyboard Composer, which was a 20 dollar app. Kind of steep for a student to have to pay but I know it will be useful in creating storyboards for projects.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

As I understand it, developers have to choose to be a part of the program and which of their apps is included. It is not for all apps across the board. And the discount is apparently as much as 50%. That might be across the board or might be something the developer can pick. Or even perhaps a scaling like 30% for up to X codes, 40% of you get x+1 to Y or 50% for Y+1 to Z.

Since the developers opt in they would share in the reduced earnings. So say an app was normally $1 and now it is 50 cents. They would get 70% of the 50 and Apple gets the other 30%

To be honest I suspect that the only folks that might opt in are the text book type folks with a few other things like the guys that make Elements, the language apps etc.

I am a developer and had not received anything from Apple at the time I made my comment. I have nothing that would be appropriate under the educational discount umbrella but was curious. I do find it interesting that sometimes the news here actually beats what I get from Apple - time wise.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

If only there were more desirable/useful 'educational' titles available for iOS devices.

Maybe Soon...

What are you looking for, or are interested in that you have not been able to find yet?

Seems to me there is a wonderful array of well-written educational apps available on every topic I can think of. There are educational apps available for most all ages and educational levels.

What ideas do you have that developers need to focus on?
post #9 of 14
I have actually sent Apple Developer Program this suggestion few months ago. I hope Apple expand it to include other educational and non-educational groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I am a developer and had not received anything from Apple at the time I made my comment. I have nothing that would be appropriate under the educational discount umbrella but was curious. I do find it interesting that sometimes the news here actually beats what I get from Apple - time wise.

Log in to iTunesConnect and you will be asked to agree to the new contract, which include the educational discount clause (3.1). The discount is fixed at 50% for a purchase of 20 copies or more.
post #10 of 14
This is great news for any student in the medical field. UT requires that we purchase Skyscape, but many students pass because it's kinda pricey. It's easily the best app on my phone - it's like having all your textbooks in your pocket - very handy in clinicals.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

What are you looking for, or are interested in that you have not been able to find yet?

Seems to me there is a wonderful array of well-written educational apps available on every topic I can think of. There are educational apps available for most all ages and educational levels.

What ideas do you have that developers need to focus on?

There are plenty of elementary-level apps, but when recommending tutorials/practice apps for high school-aged students there appears to be a lack of quality apps for algebra, trig, calculous and the sciences.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

There are plenty of elementary-level apps, but when recommending tutorials/practice apps for high school-aged students there appears to be a lack of quality apps for algebra, trig, calculous and the sciences.

There are plenty available. See the list below.

Top 50 Educational Apps
http://www.top10onlineuniversities.o...-learners.html

Top 10 Apps for Science Majors
http://collegetimes.us/10-best-iphon...cience-majors/

Top Apps for English Majors
http://collegetimes.us/15-best-iphon...nglish-majors/


Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics
http://www.appstore.ca/2009/12/new-1...tor-education/

http://search.appcraver.com/algebra2-iphone-34469/app

http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/app....4&expand=false


History Apps
http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/app....4&expand=false

http://everythingishistory.com/2009/...-history-geek/

Best iPad apps for college students
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/professo...-students.html

8 Great College iPad Apps
http://www.papermasters.com/blog/5-i...lege-students/

Top iPad Apps for College Students
http://www.top-colleges.com/blog/201...lege-students/
post #13 of 14
LOL!!!
post #14 of 14
I couldn't agree more! I have been using various apps with kids, some with significant disabilities as well as typical students, and I have had many, many successful learning outcomes! I feel that bundling apps is a great step from Apple! I applaud their step into the app market on behalf of educators!



Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

What are you looking for, or are interested in that you have not been able to find yet?

Seems to me there is a wonderful array of well-written educational apps available on every topic I can think of. There are educational apps available for most all ages and educational levels.

What ideas do you have that developers need to focus on?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple offers volume educational discounts for App Store purchases
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple offers volume educational discounts for App Store purchases