or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple rechargeable batteries are likely rebranded Sanyo Eneloops

Apple rechargeable batteries are likely rebranded Sanyo Eneloops

post #1 of 61
Though Apple's new rechargeable batteries do not offer any indication of who manufactured them, a new analysis and disassembly has found evidence that they are rebranded Sanyo Eneloops.

Czech website SuperApple (via Engadget) did extensive testing of Apple's new batteries, and found that they have many of the same characteristics as the Sanyo Eneloop model HR-3UTG batteries. In addition to having identical performance, the Sanyo rechargeables also have the same minimum capacity of 1900 mAh.

The website also took apart one of the AA batteries from Apple, but did not find any evidence on the inside that they are manufactured by Sanyo. The Apple-branded charger, which re-powers two batteries at a time,was also taken apart and found to have a "startling" amount of unused space inside.

As noted in AppleInsider's first look at the new Apple Battery Charger and AAs, the batteries do not have an Apple logo on them. Instead, they feature a plain silver design that simply reads "Rechargeable."

In fact, the only mention of Apple on the battery is in the fine print: "Charge only with Apple specified charger. Made in Japan." Sanyo's corporate headquarters is in Osaka, Japan, and its Eneloop batteries are said to be manufactured in both Japan and China.

Apple has not commented on who manufactures its batteries, but the included charger does carry the traditional "Designed by Apple in California" fine print.

In all, users get 6 AA batteries and a charger for $29. For comparison, a Sanyo Eneloop four-pack of batteries with a charger that can recharge four batteries at a time retails for $21.99.
post #2 of 61
I think disassembling apple products has now gone a step too far.

But interesting to see the inside of a rechargeable battery, I guess.
post #3 of 61
Seems like an OK deal to me. Others do this all the time.
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple's new rechargeable batteries do not offer any indication of who manufactured them, a new analysis and disassembly has found evidence that they are rebranded Sanyo Eneloops.

Eneloops are the very, very best batteries. That is why Apple uses them.
post #5 of 61
who disassembles batteries and why the hell should i care what brand it is on the inside. OBVIOUSLY they're not making their own batteries. It's a branding mechanism.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Eneloops are the very, very best batteries. That is why Apple uses them.

jesus christ, this again?
post #7 of 61
Quote:
a "startling" amount of unused space inside.

How much is startling? Are all devices expected to be packed full of stuff now?
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In all, users get 6 AA batteries and a charger for $29. For comparison, a Sanyo Eneloop four-pack of batteries with a charger that can recharge four batteries at a time retails for $21.99.

Does the charger that comes with the Sanyo Eneloop four-pack have low vampire-power draw when charging is complete? That's what's unique about the Apple batteries and charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrk View Post

The "startling" quote is from the review at the Czech website in the link; it's not AI making that judgment (at least not this time).

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #9 of 61
Quote:

My thoughts exactly - maybe the should fill the whole damn thing with epoxy. Then there wouldn't be all that space and we wouldn't have to endure 'teardowns' of chargers and AA cells.

BTW: These are not batteries they are AA cells - multiple cells wired together equals a battery.
post #10 of 61
Good for Apple. I've been using Eneloops for all my flashes since 2006 and never worry about recharging just prior to an event, or about cold weather draining the life away from the batteries. Just wished Sanyo would increase capacity as it has already been 4 years, and Eneloops are still at 2 amps.
post #11 of 61
If these are relabeled eneloops, that would tick me off a bit. I remember mention that they (Apple) developed the AA batteries. I thought it odd at the time that Apple would research AA battery tech. I don't see anything on the charger product page claiming the batteries are Apple's, though. Perhaps I am remembering wrong and whoever was only talking about the charger.

- Jasen.
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I think disassembling apple products has now gone a step too far.
But interesting to see the inside of a rechargeable battery, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My thoughts exactly - maybe the should fill the whole damn thing with epoxy. Then there wouldn't be all that space and we wouldn't have to endure 'teardowns' of chargers and AA cells.

Geez people, it's not like they dissected a live hamster or anything like that.

I must admit though, seeing a beautiful Apple AA battery torn inside out is somehow unsettling.

We are getting very attached to technology and inanimate objects...
post #13 of 61
Well, I currently have a battery charging system for my Apple BT keyboard, MagicPad & Magic Mouse and I know it's a 'vampire.' Albeit, pretty minuscule in the greater scheme of things. But come payday, I will be ordering the Apple charger...I've made a commitment to buy only Apple Tech because everything else is so poorly designed in comparison. And I'm not just talking about batteries here. If Apple doesn't make it, I will do without!

I bought the new Aluminum Apple Remote and it is so superior over the white plastic one. Worth every penny ($20)

I'm selling my iMac 20," my desk, chair, file cabinet, 46" HDTV/stand/DVD player, my AppleTV and will buy a 27" iMac and use it for the odd time I watch a RedBox DVD...got rid of my cable, too.Too expensive, too many commercials, too many wires, too many remotes and too clunky an interface.

I will wait for Apple to make a TV, which by the sound of things will be a long time!

iPhone 4 (Sold 3Gs for $200 at Sellyouroldiphone.com)
Second gen iPad 3Gs (Sell MacBook)
Airport Express 'N,' (Sell Airport Extreme, 'g')
27" iMac (EyeTV, for the odd NFL game I may want to watch, or Tiger) Get Fareed Zakaria's GPS video podcast on iTunes.

Only down side is can't get Formula One and also my GF thinks I'm an idiot!

Maybe a new MBA, so I can work sitting by the lake having a beer!

No Cable, no wires, no remotes, no excessive fees.

Best!
post #14 of 61
I posted this weeks ago. Sanyo Eneloops cost $1 less per cell than Apple. I bought Eneloops.
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well, I currently have a battery charging system for my Apple BT keyboard, MagicPad & Magic Mouse and I know it's a 'vampire.' Albeit, pretty minuscule in the greater scheme of things. But come payday, I will be ordering the Apple charger...I've made a commitment to buy only Apple Tech because everything else is so poorly designed in comparison. And I'm not just talking about batteries here. If Apple doesn't make it, I will do without!

I bought the new Aluminum Apple Remote and it is so superior over the white plastic one.

I'm selling my iMac 20," my desk, chair, file cabinet, HDTV/stand/DVD player, my AppleTV and will buy a 27" iMac and use it for the odd time I watch a RedBox DVD...got rid of my cable, too.Too expensive, too many commercials, too many wires, too many remotes and too clunky an interface.

I will wait for Apple to make a TV, which by the sound of things will be a long time!

iPhone 4
Second gen iPad 3Gs (Sell MacBook)
Airport Express
27" iMac (EyeTV, for the odd NFL game I may want to watch, or Tiger) Get Fareed Zakaria's GPS video podcast on iTunes.

Only down side is can't get Formula One and my GF thinks I'm obsessed with Apple!

Maybe a new MBA, so I can work sitting by the lake having a beer!

No Cable, no wires, no remotes, no excessive fees.

Best!

Heck, I don't really need a battery charger but I might get it just to get those Apple batteries. Best looking batteries I've ever seen.
post #16 of 61
Eneloops rock. Keep a charge up to a year (not that you'll wait that long with all of the rechargeable devices around the house).

Maybe these batteries will be included with future keyboard/mouse purchases? (Won't hold my breath).
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

If these are relabeled eneloops, that would tick me off a bit. I remember mention that they (Apple) developed the AA batteries. I thought it odd at the time that Apple would research AA battery tech. I don't see anything on the charger product page claiming the batteries are Apple's, though. Perhaps I am remembering wrong and whoever was only talking about the charger.

- Jasen.

Errrr, no, they only said they developed a CHARGER that has the smallest vampire draw on the market. The only thing they say about the batteries is that they are "high-performance"

http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Heck, I don't really need a battery charger but I might get it just to get those Apple batteries. Best looking batteries I've ever seen.

Yep, when I put my current rechargeable batteries in my Apple BT keyboard, MagicPad and Magic Mouse, they only show 72% charged...and they've been charging a month! Will be interesting to see how Apple's work.

Best
post #19 of 61
Eneloop batteries are the best. All sophisticated professional photographers use them.
post #20 of 61
Like who cares! It's just a battery!

post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by modufour View Post

Like who cares! It's just a battery!

A bit short sighted!

I wish I knew how to include a photo in this post of any landfill!

Best

wikipedia
In the United States, Americans purchase nearly three billion batteries annually, and about 179,000 tons of those end up in landfills across the country. 10 billion batteries are purchased worldwide...
post #22 of 61
We deduced they were Eneloop the hour they were announced. What we dont know/still dont know is which Eneloops they are. The old kind with a 1000 charges or the new and improved Eneloop charged by sunshine and kissed by magic elves before being shipped.
Old Eneloop
(HR-3UTG / HR-4UTG)
1000 charging cycles
85 % capacity after 1 year of storage
Suitable for temperatures as low as -10°C
Pre-charged by regular energy

New Eneloop
(HR-3UTGA / HR-4UTGA)
1500 charging cycles
75% capacity after 3 years of storage
Suitable for temperatures as low as -20°C
Pre-charged by solar energy
http://www.eneloop.info/home/the-new...d-eneloop.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 61
Can't Apple manufacture something? Apple seems to brag about high quality and doing good for the environment yet they won't manufacture anything in the USA. Well, they don't actually manufacture anything but they could at least buy some things for their computers in the USA. If they went to a high tech company and said they wanted to buy X then a US manufacturer would build a plant just to supply X.

Apple needs to start actually manufacturing things and doing it in the USA. That would show the people that they do support the environment and their country. The margins would be much less but the nation would be greatly helped with billions of products being made in this country. They could at least start with batteries.

Is Apple anti-American? Apple is more interested in the bottom line than their nation. I wish Steve Jobs would read this and decide to make things here instead of just designing them in California.

Since Apple was bold enough to make their products more environmentally sound then they could be bold enough to start making things in the USA.
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

- Jasen.

Understandable as common usage conflates "batteries" and "cells".

But to be accurate - Apple makes their own BATTERIES which are found in the mobile class devices: MacBook, MacBookPro, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod. They make a charger for high performance AA CELLS (as noted, the Sanyo Eneloops) with low current vampirism. Apple didn't claim to make the cells, only the charger. The cell technology under current chemistry is pretty cut and dried, with nominal or incremental improvements of a very mature energy system. The AA cell physical framework is being used to prototype other energy systems using hydrogen and other technologies as future replacements for the chemical systems.
post #25 of 61
When I got my new iMac with the wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse, I noticed the mouse was chewing through batteries like crazy. I wanted rechargeables but hadn't been impressed with the Energizer ones we used to have for our camera. Found the Eneloops online and every place gave them rave reviews. Amazing performance. No losing the charge after sitting idle for a few weeks. Love. Them.
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Can't Apple manufacture something? Apple seems to brag about high quality and doing good for the environment yet they won't manufacture anything in the USA. Well, they don't actually manufacture anything but they could at least buy some things for their computers in the USA. If they went to a high tech company and said they wanted to buy X then a US manufacturer would build a plant just to supply X.

Apple needs to start actually manufacturing things and doing it in the USA. That would show the people that they do support the environment and their country. The margins would be much less but the nation would be greatly helped with billions of products being made in this country. They could at least start with batteries.

Is Apple anti-American? Apple is more interested in the bottom line than their nation. I wish Steve Jobs would read this and decide to make things here instead of just designing them in California.

Since Apple was bold enough to make their products more environmentally sound then they could be bold enough to start making things in the USA.

You have absolutely no clue about world economics do you? The US has among the highest manufacturing costs in the world. But just wait. China is poised to supplant the US in the consumer economic sector and become the next world economic superpower. When they do, manufacturing will shift back to the US as the economy here buckles under it's own weight. A couple or even a few decades should suffice. With the aging out of the existing population, it's a given. All systems are cyclical in nature.

Tell you what - you lead the way: take a 75% cut in your current earnings, reduce your overall consumption by that same amount and convince everyone you know to do the same. You will be 50% closer to the existing economies that are currently handling the manufacturing that supplies all your consuming needs, wants and desires.
post #27 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

You have absolutely no clue about world economics do you? The US has among the highest manufacturing costs in the world. But just wait. China is poised to supplant the US in the consumer economic sector and become the next world economic superpower. When they do, manufacturing will shift back to the US as the economy here buckles under it's own weight. A couple or even a few decades should suffice. With the aging out of the existing population, it's a given. All systems are cyclical in nature.

Tell you what - you lead the way: take a 75% cut in your current earnings, reduce your overall consumption by that same amount and convince everyone you know to do the same. You will be 50% closer to the existing economies that are currently handling the manufacturing that supplies all your consuming needs, wants and desires.

He wants the cost of Apple products to jump up even farther so he can complain that they really are too expensive and that Apple only moved production to the US because they are so arrogant and cocky.
post #28 of 61
If I already own a charger for rechargeable batteries, can I use Eneloops in it, or do I need a specific charger? If I didn't already own a charger, I'd buy Apple's charger in a heartbeat. I've been using rechargeable batteries for years.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

If I already own a charger for rechargeable batteries, can I use Eneloops in it, or do I need a specific charger? If I didn't already own a charger, I'd buy Apple's charger in a heartbeat. I've been using rechargeable batteries for years.

It depends. Ive read that some reviews on Amazon that some chargers, even for NiMH batteries, are so poorly made that they cant charge these long lasting batteries fully. Whether that means your charge is sufficient, i dont know. I dont think anyone does.

Personally, I say just use the ones you have and if they wear out or the duration between charges get inconvenient, then buy some Eneloops with a well rated charger. I see no need to go with Apples charger unless you like the look and/or the low power yield when the battery charged. I assume its designed to be kept in the wall at all times because of this but Id rather have a USB one sitting on my desk if I had an iMac with BT keyboard and trackpad. Amazon has plenty of options to fit all needs.
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

who disassembles batteries and why the hell should i care what brand it is on the inside..

Because if they were relabeled Energizer (or a few other brands) rechargables, they would be crap. So if one knows the original, they can make a better informed purchase decision.
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We deduced they were Eneloop the hour they were announced. What we dont know/still dont know is which Eneloops they are. The old kind with a 1000 charges or the new and improved Eneloop charged by sunshine and kissed by magic elves before being shipped.
Old Eneloop
(HR-3UTG / HR-4UTG)
1000 charging cycles
85 % capacity after 1 year of storage
Suitable for temperatures as low as -10°C
Pre-charged by regular energy

New Eneloop
(HR-3UTGA / HR-4UTGA)
1500 charging cycles
75% capacity after 3 years of storage
Suitable for temperatures as low as -20°C
Pre-charged by solar energy
http://www.eneloop.info/home/the-new...d-eneloop.html

I got the old Eneloops but my dog's name is Elvis. Would it work if he kissed them?
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoil View Post

Eneloops rock. Keep a charge up to a year (not that you'll wait that long with all of the rechargeable devices around the house).

Actually, Eneloops are rated at 85% after one year, 80% after two years and 75% charge remaining after three years of storage.
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Actually, Eneloops are rated at 85% after one year, 80% after two years and 75% charge remaining after three years of storage.

What kind of material is used? NiMh is known for NOT keeping a charge over time, so is this a variant, or something completely different?
post #34 of 61
Quote:

Well if it was like the Foldbox in Heinlein's Glory Road, that would be startling. Bigger on the inside than on the outside.
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What kind of material is used? NiMh is known for NOT keeping a charge over time, so is this a variant, or something completely different?

They are still NiMH.
New material inside which does not break down as quickly is what makes them different.
http://www.eneloop.info/home/technology.html
post #36 of 61
When I read this, i keep looking for what is wrong, like they are looking for a battery gate story.

Just putting the apple logo on the box will move a ton of batteries, which seems to be good for the planet.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
post #37 of 61
Quote:

The charger is probably far more important than the batteries.
Cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) chargers can actually ruin a battery.
It should be a "smart" charger and control the charge of each battery independently. If you can only charge 2 or 4 batts at a time, it is (likely) not a quality charger. Also, a fast charger might get you going quicker but will definitely decrease the life of the battery.

If you go to Amazon and look up any rechargable batteries or chargers and look at the the reviews by -> N Lee teh engineer. He has posted a bunch of test resuilts and explains pretty well about everything.
post #38 of 61
AppleInsider should hire an intern to collect Steve Jobs garbage and report the contents back here... It would be more interesting than this article.
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

AppleInsider should hire an intern to collect Steve Jobs garbage and report the contents back here... It would be more interesting than this article.

Trouble with that is you might just see a few scalps in the trash, along with the old jeans and turtlenecks. \
post #40 of 61
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It depends. I’ve read that some reviews on Amazon that some chargers, even for NiMH batteries, are so poorly made that they can’t charge these long lasting batteries fully. Whether that means your charge is sufficient, i don’t know. I don’t think anyone does.

Personally, I say just use the ones you have and if they wear out or the duration between charges get inconvenient, then buy some Eneloops with a well rated charger. I see no need to go with Apple’s charger unless you like the look and/or the low power yield when the battery charged. I assume it’s designed to be kept in the wall at all times because of this but I’d rather have a USB one sitting on my desk if I had an iMac with BT keyboard and trackpad. Amazon has plenty of options to fit all needs.

To get the best out of your rechargeable batteries, you'll want either the Maha PowerEx MH-C9000 or the LaCrosse BC-900. They're both awesome chargers, really. They both not only can charge your NiMH batteries, but can also do a charge-discharge-charge for new batteries, and a simple discharge-charge to give somewhat older rechargeable batteries new life. You can even program cycles to bring near-dead batteries back to life. They're really great.

• Computer: MacBook CE unibody 2,4GHz
• iDevices: iPod nano 4G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 16GB
• Headphones: ATH-A900Ti, ATH-AD900, SE530 & SE210
• Search before you post!

• Computer: MacBook CE unibody 2,4GHz
• iDevices: iPod nano 4G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 16GB
• Headphones: ATH-A900Ti, ATH-AD900, SE530 & SE210
• Search before you post!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple rechargeable batteries are likely rebranded Sanyo Eneloops