or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android-based smartphone shipments leapfrog Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android-based smartphone shipments leapfrog Apple's iPhone

post #1 of 318
Thread Starter 
Shipments of smartphones running Google's Android operating system outpaced iPhones for the first time during the second quarter of the year, as sales of all integrated mobile devices worldwide rose more than 50% to 61.6 million units.

The boost was enough to push Android past Apple's iOS to become the third-most-popular mobile phone OS in the world during that same three-month period ended June, shipping on over 10.6 million devices to garner a 17.2% share of the smartphone market, according to Gartner. That represents a more than 850% rise for Android, which held just 1.8% market share during the year-ago quarter.

"A non-exclusive strategy that produces products selling across many communication service providers, and the backing of so many device manufacturers, which are bringing more attractive devices to market at several different price points, were among the factors that yielded its growth this quarter," said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner.

The iOS slipped one spot into 4th place, shipping on 8.74 million devices for a 14.2% share of the smartphone market, representing growth of just over 9%. However, since Android devices span several manufacturers, Apple was able to maintain its seats as the No. 3 smartphone maker and the No. 7 (2.7%) mobile device maker worldwide.

"Apple's sales would have been higher if it had not had to face tight inventory management in preparation for the arrival of the iPhone 4 at the end of the second quarter of 2010," Gartner wrote in its report. "Apple also suffered from some supply constraint on the new device. We expect that a wider global rollout of iPhone 4 will sustain Apple's sales momentum throughout the second half of 2010."

For its part during the second quarter, Nokia remained king of all mobile device sales to end users with shipments reaching 111.5 million units for a share of 34.2%. Gartner said that the handset maker's economies of sales and excellent distribution enabled it to hold onto the top spot but warned that "good quality, well-priced products were not enough to maintain Nokia's leadership in the high-end sector."

Worldwide Mobile Device Sales to End Users in 2Q10 (Thousands of Units)

Despite remaining No. 1, Nokia lost 2.6 percentage points year-on-year, promting Gartner to call on the company's senior executives to do more "to attract developers and other ecosystem members by revising its platform strategy and improving its communications."

Meanwhile, sales of Research In Motion's smartphones to end users reached 11.2 million units, asserting the BlackBerry maker's position as the fourth largest brand with a share of 3.4% during the quarter.

Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 2Q10 (Thousands of Units)

New devices running BlackBerry OS 6.0, like the company's first touchscreen qwerty slider phone dubbed the Torch, are expected to hit the market during the third quarter of 2010. However Gartner believes the Torch's form factor will still appeal more to business users than to consumers, stopping many loyal BlackBerry users from defecting to other platforms, but not attracting many new users to the brand either.

Overall, worldwide mobile device sales to end users totaled 325.6 million units in the second quarter, a 13.8% increase from the same period a year ago. Smartphone sales to end users accounted for 19% of worldwide mobile device sales, an increase of 50.5%.
post #2 of 318
In related news, all American cars combined outsold the Toyota Camry.

Story at 11.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #3 of 318
More proof those units are cheaply made to outpace Apple.
post #4 of 318
Next thing you know, we'll be reading that PC's outpace Mac sales.
post #5 of 318
It was bound to happen, nothing surprising. Just dont bank on it flip flop next quarter because while the iPhone 4 has launched and sold massively, numerous high profile Android devices have as well and i hear they have been consistently sold out.

Apple will keep making its money, and so will other companies.
post #6 of 318
Market share doesn't mean much, it's all about who makes the most profit. Apple still makes the most profit out of all and they allow themselves to find and hire very talented people.

Ad far as I know, Apple and Android fans shouldn't fight each other. They should fight Symbian and RIM instead, because those are the horses everyone needs to kick to the last place.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #7 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In related news, all American cars combined outsold the Toyota Camry.

Story at 11.

Exactly. With all the BOGO deals Verizon has, they had better beat the iPhone in terms of most phones sold. Just look at Motorola, they've had 3 iterations of the Droid smartphone. Droid 1, Droid X and now Droid 2. HTC, I can't even count how many phones they've released.

iPhone on one carrier with one release per year vs Android on multiple carriers with 100s of phones released each year. Just wait until this CDMA iPhone makes its way to other carriers.
post #8 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

More proof those units are cheaply made to outpace Apple.

No. Android is an OEM OS which is being deployed on a wide variety of smartphones for very different demographics. We are going to see, more and more, Android appearing on a low-end entry-level tier of 'smartphone' as well. It isn't some centralized plot to take down Apple—it is just manufacturers using a good smartphone OS to get their products to market and compete with Apple, when neither worthy alternative, Windows Phone 7 (maybe?) or webOS, is available on the OEM level at this time. Google's pricing system is also attractive.

Android is going to keep growing in marketshare until it is checked by Microsoft (depending on the quality of their platform), and that might not be enough. iOS will see a lot of growth if they release a CDMA phone, but even then, that won't be enough to compete with the low-end marketshare Android is going to start digging around in. Apple would have to compete in the low-end as well, or even open their platform to OEM, but neither is a good move for developers, Apple, or even us, the iOS users (unless of course that would be the only way we could get iOS). On a related note, Android on phones which are bought by users who couldn't care less about the Android market means nothing worth celebration to the Android user other than to inflate the marketshare statistic.

"Yay! The combined efforts of every major player in the smartphone industry but Apple and RIM has managed to beat a single line of phones in sales! Our OS has beaten a single product line! Hurray!"

Uh... good for them?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #9 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post

Exactly. With all the BOGO deals Verizon has, they had better beat the iPhone in terms of most phones sold. Just look at Motorola, they've had 3 iterations of the Droid smartphone. Droid 1, Droid X and now Droid 2. HTC, I can't even count how many phones they've released.

iPhone on one carrier with one release per year vs Android on multiple carriers with 100s of phones released each year. Just wait until this CDMA iPhone makes its way to other carriers.

I doubt you'd see a significant shift even when the iPhone finally goes mult-carrier. I'd wager we'd only see a boost of roughly 3 million a quarter, which certainly wont be enough to unseat Android at the rate its going in terms of market share.
post #10 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post

Just wait until this CDMA iPhone makes its way to other carriers.

What we need to know is how many Android phones were sold in the US versus outside. Are hard numbers out there? From what I have heard Apple is kicking butt in areas where it isn't constrained by carrier choice.
post #11 of 318
They are maybe OK phones/OS but they certainly don't have the Apple 'Eco-System' which, for me and my daughter the integration of the iPhone/MacBooks, iTunes, App Store, etc., is what it's all about....

I don't like the 'hodge-podge' approach of Google or any other manufacturer for that matter!

Best
post #12 of 318
I guess the iOS percentage doesn't include the iPod Touch or iPad (not even the 3G version), so if they were taken into account the map would look a bit different...
post #13 of 318
How many different phones ship running Symbian, RIM, and Android? We already know how many ship with iOS.

Contrary to popular belief, seems to me that devices running Android compete more with each other rather than with the iPhone. I mean, don't the sales of the Droid X hurt the sales of the Evo(just an example)? Which makes me wonder just how many Droid Xs would Verizon sell if it didn't compete with the other Android devices. 8,000,000 per quarter maybe? Thoughts?


I seriously doubt the iPhone's numbers would be as high if say there were 10 other phones shipping with iOS.
post #14 of 318
Psychic Rich predicts that this thread will turn into a flame war.
post #15 of 318
File this article under "Duh!"... News articles like these are RETARDED! Compare apples to apples... Try comparing how many iPhones sold against how many Nexus Ones sold... If Apple whored out to EVERY wireless company and sold their iOS to other cell phone manufacturers then that would be different....

BTW, I actually own a HTC Droid Incredible and it is nice, BUT I own this ONLY because I am on Verizon and would NEVER, EVER be on AT&T and have no choice. But that will all change come January!!!
post #16 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I doubt you'd see a significant shift even when the iPhone finally goes mult-carrier. I'd wager we'd only see a boost of roughly 3 million a quarter, which certainly wont be enough to unseat Android at the rate its going in terms of market share.

On the contrary, with a CDMA iPhone available on Sprint and Verizon, the Chinese carriers, and all the small regional carriers, at a price equal or less than (for the 3GS) most Android phones, we should see a massive market shift. Android units will drop sharply at first, and then slowly grow, taking share from RIM and Nokia. Apple will likely accelerate to 1st or 2nd in the world within 3 years. When Mom, Dad and kids can get an iPhone for the same price and on the same carrier as a "Droid" or dumbphone, and do Facetime--it's a clear win for Apple 80% of the time. Hardware keyboard and geeks would be one of the only areas where they would experience defectors. Of course, within weeks of the iPhone being available on all carriers, we will see nearly all Android handsets dropping to $99 or $0 with 2-year contract. It's the way the world turns.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #17 of 318
I think that's pretty impressive from Android, and they should be complimented for their success. Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product.

What I find interesting about the figures is the fact that Nokia are really going to have to pull off something spectacular to avoid dropping down the list, and Microsoft's share has halved in the last 12 months. Boy do they need Win Phone 7 to work.......
post #18 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you say that seeing the iPhone is the only one getting bad press on a regular basis when it comes to hardware isssue. The Evo, Incredible and Droid X are build just was well as the iPhone. Also with 2.2 just released to the Evo is a very fast phone.

Also what these articles need to stop doing is comparing an operating system to the iPhone. If they want real numbers then compare Android to iOS.

In any case there isn't anything cheaply made about the recent line of Android phones and on average all of the above smartphones cost the same with a 2 year contract. So its not about price.

That's my other rant. Why is it "Android to iPhone" instead of "Android to iOS". iOS devices sold were over 17 million for the last quarter (counting iPod Touches and iPads) which puts them way over Android. Don't compare a whole OS to another OS's single variant.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #19 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

What we need to know is how many Android phones were sold in the US versus outside. Are hard numbers out there? From what I have heard Apple is kicking butt in areas where it isn't constrained by carrier choice.

Well according to Nielsen if Android took 27% of the estimated 14.7 (Canalysis) would be 3.96 million in the US. This of course is before all the iPhone 4 launches, and every high profile Android launch (Galaxy S, Evo 4G, Droid X and now Droid 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

I guess the iOS percentage doesn't include the iPod Touch or iPad (even the 3G version), so if they were taken into account the map would look a bit different...

Because those arent Smartphones...
post #20 of 318
'Shipments' or 'Sales'?
Having gone the 2-fer route, Android 'sales' stats are now suspect in my mind.
Anyone can 'ship'... its another thing to actually sell as opposed to giving away promo units.
post #21 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think that's pretty impressive from Android, and they should be complimented for their success. Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product.

That's the thing. The iPhone really isn't a premium product as far as price goes. When you can get a 3GS for free with a contract at Walmart or Best Buy, there is no reason for someone to get a Droid over it, except hardware or OS preference (duh). The point is, as far as price goes there is no gap. It would be like getting either a Dell Inspiron 15" laptop for $499 or a MacBook Pro 15" for $499. If you like Windows, or the color of the Dell, you'll buy it, but price is not an issue.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #22 of 318
Could it have anything to do with the fact you can't get an iPhone 4 right now? Maybe if Apple made them available, they would post better numbers.

Sorry to be the one to tell you fruit worshipers, but Apple CAN'T execute.
post #23 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you say that seeing the iPhone is the only one getting bad press on a regular basis when it comes to hardware isssue.

That proves only one thingL Apple is a press magnet.
post #24 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

That's my other rant. Why is it "Android to iPhone" instead of "Android to iOS". iOS devices sold were over 17 million for the last quarter (counting iPod Touches and iPads) which puts them way over Android. Don't compare a whole OS to another OS's single variant.

At least AI made that clear in its headline.
Other sites (*cough*MacRumors*cough*) claimed Android was outselling iOS.
post #25 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product.
.

I don't think it's because the iPhone is a premium product but rather Apple's business model. If Apple licensed iOS to other vendors, It's market share would improve exponentially. Same with OS X. It's only installed on computers made by Apple. Imagine if Apple licensed OS X as Microsoft does Windows. Apple wants to control the users' complete experience - apparently they're ok with a fraction of the market. Of course, this business model has been successful with the iPod - so what do I know?
post #26 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Your theory is flawed. The Evo, Incredible and Droid X all cost exactly the same as the iPhone with a 2 year contract. The reality is people like Android. There isn't anything keeping anyone from buying and iPhone seeing it has been on the market for longer then 2 years so anyone that had their contract expire could have moved to an iPhone over an Android based phone without any problems.

The only reality here is that Android has become a true competitor to iOS.

Android is a true, decent competitor, but not a great one. It is mostly a knock-off in most people's eyes. Every single person I have seen (around 12) who has bought an Android phone bought it because they wanted a smartphone on Verizon. Every one I asked said they would have bought the iPhone if it was available on Verizon. A few I followed up with around 3-6 months later said their phone was "okay" but it was complicated and couldn't do a lot of things they wanted to do with it. I let them try my iPod Touch, and they all without exception said that if the iPhone was just as easy, they'd trade-in the instant it was available on Verizon. With Gruber predicting around an 85% chance of that happening January '11, it looks like they won't have to wait long.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #27 of 318
Funny juxtaposition with the earlier story that tells how half the Apple stores are Out Of Stock iPhonewise.

There's a difference between shipments and sales, perhaps?
post #28 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well the only reason I can see is that everytime these articles come out its smartphone related which means of course the iPad and Touch do not count.

Also I find it unfair to base companies like Google and Microsoft because they are simply software companies and decide not to get heavy into the hardware business. Its SJ choice to try and control everything from the hardware to the software. Not every company wants to get into the hardware business.

For companies like Google and Microsoft all they care about is selling their software because they are both primary software companies.

Apple at anytime can expand any of their operating systems to run on any device, they choose not too.

Yeah, but a lot of the articles then postulate about how developers should now switch to Android because iOS is getting smaller in comparison. That is simply not true, as the iPhone is not the only device that runs iOS.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #29 of 318
What the press says and what is actually going on in reality can be two different things. The press are going to do whatever they need to get to do to get people to read their pages.

Verizon confirms Droid X screen issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you say that seeing the iPhone is the only one getting bad press on a regular basis when it comes to hardware isssue.
post #30 of 318
"… Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product."

What about iPod in the MP3 market? 70% not enough to be leader?
post #31 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I doubt you'd see a significant shift even when the iPhone finally goes mult-carrier. I'd wager we'd only see a boost of roughly 3 million a quarter, which certainly wont be enough to unseat Android at the rate its going in terms of market share.

Other carriers will now be able to push the iphone instead of having to compete with other models. In Canada, I often see iphone promotions coming from multiple carriers, thats a lot of free promotion... and this will make an impact on US sales.
post #32 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I don't think it's because the iPhone is a premium product but rather Apple's business model. If Apple licensed iOS to other vendors, It's market share would improve exponentially. Same with OS X. It's only installed on computers made by Apple. Imagine if Apple licensed OS X as Microsoft does Windows. Apple wants to control the users' complete experience - apparently they're ok with a fraction of the market. Of course, this business model has been successful with the iPod - so what do I know?

You know I think you're probably right, but whether you consider them a premium product or not, one way or other their business model is not likely to lead to market dominance (iPod excepting, but I suspect other electronics and content companies have got wise to how they managed that and it probably won't happen again), but I really don't think that matters.

Many people on this board get so heated about whether Android is selling better than iOS, or whether Android is better technically than iOS and I just don't think it matters. I like Apple's stuff so I use it. If someone else likes Android, that's OK too.
post #33 of 318
I'll believe Apple cares about market share when iOS and OS X are licensed out. Obviously market share is important to Google and Microsoft.
post #34 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That depends on what side you take. If there is truly a hardware issue then its not just about the media.

A lof of Android phones also have hardware issue. The difference is that it's not amplified ten fold like iPhone was.
And it's got nothing to do with SJ mouth. It got everything to do with Apple success.
post #35 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

On the contrary, with a CDMA iPhone available on Sprint and Verizon, the Chinese carriers, and all the small regional carriers, at a price equal or less than (for the 3GS) most Android phones, we should see a massive market shift. Android units will drop sharply at first, and then slowly grow, taking share from RIM and Nokia. Apple will likely accelerate to 1st or 2nd in the world within 3 years. When Mom, Dad and kids can get an iPhone for the same price and on the same carrier as a "Droid" or dumbphone, and do Facetime--it's a clear win for Apple 80% of the time. Hardware keyboard and geeks would be one of the only areas where they would experience defectors. Of course, within weeks of the iPhone being available on all carriers, we will see nearly all Android handsets dropping to $99 or $0 with 2-year contract. It's the way the world turns.

Again i SEVERELY doubt it. Android is rapidly accelerating in markets outside the US because it covers a varied range of price points. By the time an iPhone becomes available for CDMA (early next year?) we'll be staring down on dual core Snapdragons at 199 and the current elite phones like the Evo 4G dropping to significantly cheaper prices while running Gingerbread. I love the 3GS as a budget phone but a 3GS vs say a $99 Evo 4G or Droid X is an extremely tough sell.

You will see an explosion of sales initially from the people who wouldnt switch to AT&T, but sales from AT&T will drop while boosting on other carriers. Its going to grow but its not going to stop Android at all. Apple is bursting at the seams in areas they recently expanded to, but on carriers where they offer both Android and Apple devices, its been a wash.
post #36 of 318
Apple can blame themselves for Android's explosion. Had they come out with an iPhone for other networks two years ago, they would have prevented a lot of the sales of Android phones. I am not saying that Android would not have been a viable and profitable platform, I just don't think it would be as big today as it is if the iPhone was available on other carriers.

Apple screwed up on this one. They have a large portion of the smartphone market, but they could of had a lot more.
post #37 of 318
I predicted Android would become the default commodity smartphone, while Apple would retain the high-end position, however Apple risks eventual permanent second place status unless they soon end the artificial throttling of demand with their at&t exclusive. I'm sure many of us have been impatiently waiting for our provider of choice to carry the iPhone and have been sorely disappointed every year that passes with no change.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #38 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The reason why Android users like myself say the phone is "okay" is because Apple fans often get over excited about their products. I am happy with Windows 7 but I didn't stand in line to get it when it was released, like Apple fans do when a new version of OSX is release.

I would never stand in line for 13 hours like they did at the Mall of GA to get an iPhone.

You tend to find exccessive behavior with Apple only users. Those of us that use Apple products along with other procducts tend to be shall I say more level headed when it comes to how excited we get about technology.

I have many Apple products I use a MBP daily and I use an Evo daily. I have about the same reaction to both, they both do exactly what I expect them do and that is all I care about.

Good analysis. That's very true. The only thing I'd add is that that is some of the Apple magic--that they can make you feel bursting with excitement over the simple fact that they made a battery charger. Buying Apple a lot of times is being like a kid--you get excited over the littlest things. You find a little joy in life, and I think that's a good thing. They have a tendency to turn even the dullest people into fanatical supporters. Very interesting.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #39 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I love the 3GS as a budget phone but a 3GS vs say a $99 Evo 4G or Droid X is an extremely tough sell.

You will see an explosion of sales initially from the people who wouldnt switch to AT&T, but sales from AT&T will drop while boosting on other carriers. Its going to grow but its not going to stop Android at all. Apple is bursting at the seams in areas they recently expanded to, but on carriers where they offer both Android and Apple devices, its been a wash.

Can you name me one such carrier?
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #40 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Apple can blame themselves for Android's explosion. Had they come out with an iPhone for other networks two years ago, they would have prevented a lot of the sales of Android phones. I am not saying that Android would not have been a viable and profitable platform, I just don't think it would be as big today as it is if the iPhone was available on other carriers.

Apple screwed up on this one. They have a large portion of the smartphone market, but they could of had a lot more.

Even if the iPhone were to appear on Verizon, Apple would still lose the market share race. Apple doesn't license iOS, you can only get iOS on an iPhone. Android on the other hand is available on many different handsets. There's no way Apple could compete - no way.

As for blaming themselves, Apple is apparently content with their market share, as their business model is the same with OS X. They haven't screwed up, they do very well for themselves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android-based smartphone shipments leapfrog Apple's iPhone