or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's rumored iTV rebranding makes UK broadcaster 'furious'

Apple's rumored iTV rebranding makes UK broadcaster 'furious' - Page 3

post #81 of 149
never mind [post deleted]
post #82 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Furious over rumor? Why not first find out if the rumor is true, then get furious?

They are Fast [to get] Furious.

(Sorry, I couldnt resist)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #83 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Check ITV's trademark - the "i" is in lower case...

ok, but apparently so is the tv part :-)
post #84 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Case is meaningless in trademark law, in the US at least. The trademark will be officially registered as 'ITV' and variations of case, font, etc. are all included under that mark.

I was actually joking...
post #85 of 149
The Mirror is well known for making up quotes and stories or, like other tabloids, just going through web forums picking up stories and running web site gossip as fact.
I bet no one high up at itv said anything that was in that article.

On another note, itv is a trademark in broadcasting, not in other areas. The "red button" service in the uk has been marketed as iTV ( that is, interactive television) for over a decade.

As for who are itv, well if you watch PBS in the USA you're probably familiar with them for programmes such as Brideshead Revisited, Poirot, Morse, Sherlock Holmes (not the recent version, ats the bbc) Jeeves and Wooster and others. Their heyday was in the 80s and early 90s. Now they focus on entertainment rather than drama and have had most success in selling franchises like Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Britains Got Talent, Pop Idol etc although because much of their output is made by independent companies, who also make programmes for the BBC, the rights are not necessarily theirs. Itv is a braodcaster, not a studio as such.
New books out now! www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
post #86 of 149
All this from a rumour?

Apple must be laughing their socks off.

Actually ITV are now touting pay per view. They expect people to pay for programmes like X Factor and the like. No chance, never going to wash. We're already paying too much for BBC.

Do this at your peril ITV.

Apple TV sounds much better anyway. This whole 'i' nomenclature is starting to wear a bit thin.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #87 of 149
This whole Apple TV series of events just shows how ridiculous the media has become in its Apple coverage.

1) They create rumors where the Apple TV can apparently do amazing new things (run iOS apps, ,be impossibly small, output 1080p).

2) They then create a new rumor that Apple wont do all the things the earlier rumor was supposed to do.

3) They then create a rumor that Apple will change its name.

4) A freaking international company starts throwing hissy fits based on this new rumor.

And, the worst part is, people are falling for it, and attributing rumored actions to Apple's actions. It seems people no longer tell the difference between what Apple does, and what Apple has been rumored to do. Its even more remarkable considering how large a percentage of these rumors dont even come close to reality (how long had we been hearing of a tablet mac?)
post #88 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Anyone know if iStream is taken?

Anybody know if iScream is taken? These rumours...honestly
post #89 of 149
iOSTV

Says everything it needs to about the product.
post #90 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Check ITV's trademark - the "i" is in lower case...

Hmm, but the T is not capitalized.

It would be funny though if brand names were case sensitive.
post #91 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistry View Post

The Mirror is well known for making up quotes and stories or, like other tabloids, just going through web forums picking up stories and running web site gossip as fact.

True! Or lies which ever way you look at it.

Quote:
Now they focus on entertainment rather than drama and have had most success in selling franchises like Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Britains Got Talent, Pop Idol etc although because much of their output is made by independent companies, who also make programmes for the BBC, the rights are not necessarily theirs. Itv is a braodcaster, not a studio as such.

Yes and how ironic Piers Morgans, former Mirror Editor, appears on some of these entertainment shows.
post #92 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

The posturing could be about squeezing more money out of use of the trademark

Re: the name, let's think outside of the box, folks

iPod: 2 syllables, easy

iPhone: 2 syllables, ditto

iPad: 2 syllables, honestly, given the precedent of iPOD, the name iPAD was almost a no brainer

What to call the postulated TV

Hmmmm

iTunes: again 2 syllables sets precedent

why not iTube?

or
iView
iSee
iCtv
etc...

but seriously Apple TV would be fine as well, other than that they have already have used the name.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #93 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This won't be simple for Apple. ITV is a well-known global brand. There will be country by country fights.

I predict "AppleTV."

Nonsense - it is not a well known global brand.
post #94 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Apple has a way of getting what it wants but there may be a situation where it's named iTV everywhere except in the UK. They will have time to fight this out because I see the iTV coming out only for the US for at least a few months.

Maybe they do not mind selling the logo..... they just want to up the outrage (pretend) so they can up the asking price.

Just a thought here.

en
post #95 of 149
Just want to try again to clarify this, as this is being missed:

It is highly unlikely that anyone at ITV has spoken to anyone at The Mirror about this. The Mirror (along with other UK tabloids) make up a lot of stuff. "The unnamed source" will most likely be "the author of the article".

No-one at ITV is over-reacting to this.
post #96 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Besides it's not like Apple reminds the world of something archaic called the house of lords.

Eh?

Are you referring to one of the first bicameral parliamentary systems in the world, upon which most other democracies are still based?

Archaic would imply something that's become outdated or stuck in the past - in what way is the upper house of the UK's national legislature archaic (and please do some reading before you say 'hereditary peers').
post #97 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

maybe they should just text sj and tell him, " just change the name its no big deal"..

+1
post #98 of 149
This story today will tell you all you need to know about the source of this story
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gree...irror-downturn
post #99 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Try it again, click "New User Form Search (Basic)"

http://tess2.uspto.gov/

The first item I get back is the logo for the itv network.

Found it. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the iTV logo is a 'Wordmark' and not a 'Trademark'.
Quote:
A wordmark, also sometimes word mark, subset of the term logotype, is a standardized graphic representation of the name of a company, institution, or product name used for purposes of identification and branding. A wordmark is usually a distinct text-only typographic treatment as can be found in the graphic identities of the Government of Canada, FedEx, Google, and Wikipedia. The organization name is incorporated as a simple graphic treatment to create a clear, visually memorable identity. The representation of the word becomes a visual symbol of the organization or product.

In the United States and European Union a wordmark may be registered, making it protected intellectual property. In the United States the term wordmark may not only refer to the graphical representation, but the text itself may be a type of trademark.

Quote:
A trademark or trade mark is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization, or other legal entity to identify that the products or services to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities.

A trademark is designated by the following symbols:

™ (for an unregistered trade mark, that is, a mark used to promote or brand goods)
℠ (for an unregistered service mark, that is, a mark used to promote or brand services)
® (for a registered trademark)
A trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically a name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements. There is also a range of non-conventional trademarks comprising marks which do not fall into these standard categories, such as those based on color, smell, or sound.

The owner of a registered trademark may commence legal proceedings for trademark infringement to prevent unauthorized use of that trademark. However, registration is not required. The owner of a common law trademark may also file suit, but an unregistered mark may be protectable only within the geographical area within which it has been used or in geographical areas into which it may be reasonably expected to expand.

The term trademark is also used informally to refer to any distinguishing attribute by which an individual is readily identified, such as the well known characteristics of celebrities. When a trademark is used in relation to services rather than products, it may sometimes be called a service mark, particularly in the United States.

As I comment previously, iTV is a registered trademark owned by kokos, Theodore C., 2801 Turtle Creek Blvd., Dallas, TX 95219.

http://www.trademarkia.com/itv-76688968.html

Regardless, as many have already mentioned, this conversation is basically moot unless Apple takes the first step.
post #100 of 149
They'll (itv) be furious right up until the time they cash the cheque.

How much cash does Apple have on hand?
post #101 of 149
Trademarks don't apply in other universes. Since Apple exists above our plane of existence, ITV has no legitimate claim

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #102 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I do not want to sound ignorant here, considering I know there are number of Brits in this forum, but who the hell is iTV, I have traveled outside the US and even in the UK and never hear of these guys, I hear and watch the BBC and also SkyTV but never once have I ever came across iTV. I think these guys have inflated egos to think they have world wide brand recognition.

Sorry guys there only a few brands that have world wide recognition and even Apple is not top in that list and I know I never seen iTV in that list.

ITV is the number 2 broadcaster in the UK after the BBC but they are not what they used to be. You might however know some of their shows that have crossed the pond such as American Idol, Americas Got Talent and Millionaire.
post #103 of 149
Talk about getting your knickers in a twist...
Sheesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You only have to look at recent problems with the iPhone 4 to see not everything Apple produces is gold dust,"

There was a recent problem with theiPhone 4?
post #104 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexor View Post

Amazing how Apple can tick off people with a non-existent product.

+1.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #105 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Amazing how people get ticked off with a non-existant Apple product

What? You you didn't like that he spelled 'existent' correctly?
post #106 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzc View Post

Hmm, but the T is not capitalized.

It would be funny though if brand names were case sensitive.

They aren't. However, a logo design (wordmark) with a lowercase letter could be trademarked.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #107 of 149
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar was known as Mac OS X 10.2 in the UK due to a disagreement with the automobile manufacturer.

They printed different boxes as well.
post #108 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What? You you didn't like that he spelled 'existent' correctly?

No. But I sure didn't like that I spelled it incorrectly.

Thanks for the catch.
post #109 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i agree. apple would be gnashing their teeth and unleashing the law hordes (like they have done many times before) if this was reversed....

If what was reversed? A rumor?
post #110 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post

Just want to try again to clarify this, as this is being missed:

It is highly unlikely that anyone at ITV has spoken to anyone at The Mirror about this. The Mirror (along with other UK tabloids) make up a lot of stuff. "The unnamed source" will most likely be "the author of the article".

No-one at ITV is over-reacting to this.

In fact they would probably be thrilled. What better free publicity eh?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #111 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This whole Apple TV series of events just shows how ridiculous the media has become in its Apple coverage.

1) They create rumors where the Apple TV can apparently do amazing new things (run iOS apps, ,be impossibly small, output 1080p).

2) They then create a new rumor that Apple wont do all the things the earlier rumor was supposed to do.

3) They then create a rumor that Apple will change its name.

4) A freaking international company starts throwing hissy fits based on this new rumor.

And, the worst part is, people are falling for it, and attributing rumored actions to Apple's actions. It seems people no longer tell the difference between what Apple does, and what Apple has been rumored to do. Its even more remarkable considering how large a percentage of these rumors dont even come close to reality (how long had we been hearing of a tablet mac?)

+1, what a great post. Just wanted to add that number 4 is also inconclusive as it is based upon "a channel insider" which is an anonymous source. We don't have anything tangible other than anonymous sources for anything about this.

4) They then create a rumor that an international company is throwing hissy fits based upon this new rumor.
post #112 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar was known as Mac OS X 10.2 in the UK due to a disagreement with the automobile manufacturer.

They printed different boxes as well.

UK is ok with Jaguar now they only have to call it 10.2 in India now!
post #113 of 149
And in other news Apple's semi-conductor division PA Semi has announced their new line of chips iNTEL.

How would that go down!?!? :-)

Mind you as I implied at the time of Jobs announcing iTV (as he called it then), ITV shows is an old and tired channel with nothing of interest. Can't imagine why they are still going and certainly can't imagine what tosh gets shown on ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=109
post #114 of 149
Quote:

Thanks for the catch.

No worries.
I didn't read your post well enough. I only caught the misspelling, not the people/Apple you changed.
But I had the same thought
post #115 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

ITV is the number 2 broadcaster in the UK after the BBC but they are not what they used to be. You might however know some of their shows that have crossed the pond such as American Idol, Americas Got Talent and Millionaire.

Please ask them not to export any more like that will ya!
post #116 of 149
Quote:

As I comment previously, iTV is a registered trademark owned by kokos, Theodore C., 2801 Turtle Creek Blvd., Dallas, TX 95219.

http://www.trademarkia.com/itv-76688968.html

Regardless, as many have already mentioned, this conversation is basically moot unless Apple takes the first step.

iTV is not a registered trademark. It has been filed, but hasn't gone through the whole process to become registered. I highly doubt it will go through.

There are numerous other filings for ITV, including the one from the "furious" ITV Network Limited in 2006.

Apple has aggressively gone after the iPrefix, and has been quite successful to date. For some reason, they chose not to go after iTV when they launched the Apple TV. This could be for a variety of marketing reasons (keeping it as a hobby). It could also have meant that Apple didn't want to fight for the name back then. It may have helped to get a few fights under its belt before going in for the iTV name.

I don't see any live registrations for ITV that would cause a problem for Apple, and the filings are all post iPrefix. While it may be messy for Apple, it's not impossible, and Apple may want to fight for it to further establish the iPrefix.

Of course all of this is speculation based on a rumor...sooo....
post #117 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdb View Post

"We all take our ITV brand very seriously and we'll do everything in our power to protect it."

Anyone who's ever seen ITV knows how awful everything on it is, so I don't see how they manage to get on their high horse with this.

ITV is base level mainstream reality TV dreck, but sadly it's just the kind of rubbish that's very popular now.

Regardless of how tabloid and brainless the channel is, they've been around since the 1950s and there's no way they'd ever let Apple get anywhere near the 'ITV' name anywhere on planet earth. Remember ITV stuff is also exported all over the world too.

So in short, the new Apple TV will not, under any circumstances, in any country, be called ITV. It will not happen. At all. Ever. End of discussion.
post #118 of 149
lol it's called a rumor for a reason.
post #119 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pummelon View Post

What's the matter with all of you? I assume most people on here are resonably intelligent, so why is this even being discussed? Do you all think there are fairies in the bottom of your garden as well?

This was printed in the Mirror - they couldn't write a true story if you held a gun to their head.

The whole thing's a crock - they don't even have a named source. There's no story, and frankly Appleinsider should have higher standards than repeating crap that comes out of British tabloids.

Don't kid yourselves that anything in this article has ever happened.

Thanks for mentioning. Meanwhile, Lindsay Lohan is having Elvis' baby.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #120 of 149
iDontCare ... it will be figured out and as usual, you have a bunch of people reacting to a rumor which might make a decent 30 minute sitcom on iTv or iTV or itv or whatever.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's rumored iTV rebranding makes UK broadcaster 'furious'