or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Migration question

Migration question

post #1 of 2
OK, for what ever reason things did not go well last time.

I have begun the process to restore my new iMac to "Out of the box" condition. I am now going through the installation of the OS now, after I erased the files on the drive using the disk utility after booting from the disk.

I would like to migrate my single account from my old iMac into my new iMac. Leaving the apps and other user accounts on the old machine.

I think I have figured out that I need to make the initial account on my new machine an account I can delete once I migrate my old user account over (making that an Admin account of course) correct?

This migration of my old account should bring over all my iPhotos, iTunes, Address Book, etc... Right? Or do I have to re-install all the iLife apps first and do the Migration only afterwards?

Any guidance to assist this ignorant user would be appreciated.
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS29 View Post

OK, for what ever reason things did not go well last time.

I have begun the process to restore my new iMac to "Out of the box" condition. I am now going through the installation of the OS now, after I erased the files on the drive using the disk utility after booting from the disk.

I would like to migrate my single account from my old iMac into my new iMac. Leaving the apps and other user accounts on the old machine.

I think I have figured out that I need to make the initial account on my new machine an account I can delete once I migrate my old user account over (making that an Admin account of course) correct?

This migration of my old account should bring over all my iPhotos, iTunes, Address Book, etc... Right? Or do I have to re-install all the iLife apps first and do the Migration only afterwards?

Any guidance to assist this ignorant user would be appreciated.

I went though everything last night and answered my own questions along the way.

I booted my new iMac from disc, selected Disk Utilities, erased the disk and reinstalled the OS.
The followed the migration assistant and bought over my 1 user account but not the apps.
After migration was complete, I ran the install for bundles software (iLife, etc...) and all went well.[/LIST]
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Migration question