or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2

Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2 - Page 2

post #41 of 146
The articles are beginning to pile up from what I was able to search. A funny one was the author describing how the signal bars would fluctuation from full to zero in one spot yet mentioning that the problem was "not as bad as Antennagate". What a hypocritical SOB. I'm not going to troll any of the forums since I hate when the Phandroids come here to spew their nonsense. However, there is a bit of bittersweet justice here and definitely a touch of "I told you so" added in for good measure.

It really is funny to read the phandroid comments and how they are totally making this sound like it's a non-issue. Hell, 30-minutes into the sale of the iPhone4 and they were firing up the critic horns about the massive failure it was and that a full-recall was necessary.

I expect - DEMAND - that Gizmodo prove once and for all that they are above pond-scum and give as much time to this problem as they did with Apple.
post #42 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Jeeeez... I'm speechless. BTW who here's thinking Apple is going to discontinue the free bumper plan after September? I think they'll discontinue it given, globally, generally positive reception (in all meanings of the word). Maybe they'll drop the price to $19 for anyone that still wants a bumper. Antennagateisovergate.

Come people let's go troll on the Android forums. Love to see what's going on there.

Your guess seems pretty reasonable. I can’t see them continuing the free cases so I think the best customers might get is an at-time-of-purchase discount on the Bumper (but not the other cases). Though, maybe not even that as it’s clearly not an issue in other countries, shown to clearly be an issue affecting devices Rx/Tx RF, and simply not the issue it was made it out to be.

Quote:

They got to go back to the Android forums to fluff up everyone... "Oh, it's just a minor software glitch but since everything is so open and wonderful we can all patch it and then it will be even more awesomeness !11!1!one".

But first this is an open call to DaHarder to come out here, show himself, and tell us what he thinks of this.

All joking aside, I would bet that this particular issue can be fixed with SW/firmware.

What I can’t wait for is other manufacturers following Apple’s lead in using the frame as the antenna to allow for more internal space within a given total volume. That will be laughable after these companies made the claims they did.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #43 of 146
I know that there are company trying to copy the IPhone technology, but also they now copy the same mistakes? LOL
My IPhone with a “bumper” works fine, only got issues viewing pages like:
The page looks great on my pc, I wish I can see it fine on my IPhone, any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
post #44 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Can we agree to call this one Droid-gate?

Hmmmmm, dunno. This could tick off old George Lucas.
post #45 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by therakker View Post

I got the Droid Incredible as a replacement for my iphone because At&t doesn't work at all in NYC. The reception has been amazing and no dropped calls anymore where I had at least 3 a day from At&t. But the bar situation is completely worthless. I usually have 1 bar, and it jumps around all day so I don't even bother looking at them anymore. Made tons of calls with no bars at all. Surprised this wasn't something Apple brought up in their conference. Will hang out in my Android lair until iPhone comes to VZW.

I thought the Droid was from Motorola and the Incredible was from HTC... Am I missing something?
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #46 of 146
Quote:

Jeeeez... I'm speechless. BTW who here's thinking Apple is going to discontinue the free bumper plan after September? I think they'll discontinue it given, globally, generally positive reception (in all meanings of the word). Maybe they'll drop the price to $19 for anyone that still wants a bumper. Antennagateisovergate.

Come people let's go troll on the Android forums. Love to see what's going on there.

If you read all the user comments it would appear that this is going to be a wide spread problem, complete with dropped calls ... time will tell. The comment I liked the best was from a user who claimed when you slide out the keyboard while using a case supplied by manufacturer .... it covered the top row of letters and you couldn't use those letters. .... priceless, ... or as DaHarder might say (if he had the guts) .... EPIC FAIL!

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/08/...signal-issues/
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #47 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

Apple is right; this problem is a matter of 'unsettled science.' Whole divisions of companies (and entire companies themselves) are approaching the issue from different perspectives because the scientific problem hasn't yet been 'solved.' People know this, which is why the number of iPhones coming back is tiny.

Correct. However, seeing as the American average unique words in one's daily vocabulary has gone from just over 1800 back in 1900 to just over 200 back in 2000 and the average knowledge of pure and applied mathematics and physics have suffered a similar slide it's no wonder it feels like this country is sliding back into the dark ages.
post #48 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

iPhone is so good the competitors are copying every feature.

I believe someone already told that joke before.
post #49 of 146
Even while standing still with a bumpered iPhone 4, I've seen signal fluctuate wildly in San Francisco. That's "wildly" as in going from no signal, to a few bars maybe with EDGE or maybe with no data at all, to 5 bars with 3G. Even with 5 bars and 3G, the Internet would sometimes be completely unresponsive. Rebooting did not help. It's ridiculous. I understand now what SF residents have been complaining about with AT&T. Never have I experienced such trouble in other metropolitan areas I've lived in or visited. Verizon users, now that there are more than just a few of you using cellular data, welcome to the club. But at least you don't have to worry about the death touch like with the iPhone 4.
post #50 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note: China's largest two networks account for about 700M GSM users. Their largest carrier with about 550M subscribers use TD-SCDMA, which is a less patent unencumbered tech derived from the same 3G in the iPhone. It even uses te same UMTS air interface.

To put is as you did: ¿Que?

WCDMA and TD-SCDMA are definitely not the same air interface. They are both part of the same UMTS family of specifications, but the air interface is most definitely different (3.84 Mchips/s vs. 1.28, slower power control etcetc..).

Regs, Jarkko
post #51 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

To put is as you did: ¿Que?

WCDMA and TD-SCDMA are definitely not the same air interface. They are both part of the same UMTS family of specifications, but the air interface is most definitely different (3.84 Mchips/s vs. 1.28, slower power control etcetc..).

Regs, Jarkko

Both use IMT-TD Time-Division.
post #52 of 146
What's a "death touch"?

I have been unable to cause any signal drop on any of the 20 or so iPhone 4's I've handled, n matter how much I poke, prod, hold, squeeze, rub or anything else regarding the strips of metal separated by the black line on the lower left corner.

I also ask people I meet to try and make my bars drop and they can't do it either, even in an area wit two bars and GPRS, not even edge.

Until I can reproduce it, it is something that is non-existant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Even while standing still with a bumpered iPhone 4, I've seen signal fluctuate wildly in San Francisco. That's "wildly" as in going from no signal, to a few bars maybe with EDGE or maybe with no data at all, to 5 bars with 3G. Even with 5 bars and 3G, the Internet would sometimes be completely unresponsive. Rebooting did not help. It's ridiculous. I understand now what SF residents have been complaining about with AT&T. Never have I experienced such trouble in other metropolitan areas I've lived in or visited. Verizon users, now that there are more than just a few of you using cellular data, welcome to the club. But at least you don't have to worry about the death touch like with the iPhone 4.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #53 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I thought the Droid was from Motorola and the Incredible was from HTC... Am I missing something?

Ah yeah, if you read the news you'd understand that it isn't Motorola, HTC, Samsung etc, it's simply ANDROID! And like Android is like, totally ripping it up Apple iPhone yeah...

So basically what you are missing is that you are not meant to be thinking that much, and just forgetting that each phone manufacturer is trying to make money they can use for R&D and stuff and just looking at the spinster monthly polls telling you that Apple is finished (read: in the cash), Google is smashing them (makes no money) and all the other phone manufacturers joined together under one true god are wiping the floor in units sold (no manufacturer is actually selling enough units by themselves to compete)

It's just Android. Oh and RIM, but yeah, they like for old people and snoop all yer email. But Nokia's still king of everywhere and sells billions of phones all which totally dominate everything yeah.

And spam. yeah, don't forget the spam, or Google might go broke.

Alright!@
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #54 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.

Why? Because you say so? Are you an authority on the etymology of English words?

That's how language evolves. It has always worked like that. There are many, many words and phrases in English that emerge from an unrelated event and come to have other, broader meanings. You use those words all the time. Have you ever uttered the phrase "bug" in the context that it's a glitch in software? Then, you've done exactly the same thing as people who add "-gate" to the end of a word. Are people who use the term "computer bug" also idiots? That phrase came from a specific event and later evolved to represent an entire class of things. Just like "-gate."

Like it or not, the suffix "-gate" will probably enter the language as signifying a scandalous or notorious series of events. And that will be no different and no less legitimate than how thousands of other words have entered the language.
post #55 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

iPhone is so good the competitors are copying every feature.

I just registered because I just had to reply to this comment.

You're so right! LOL.
post #56 of 146
Quote:

¿Que? So China's 65M CDMA based subscribers on their smallest carrier makes more sense than Verizon and Sprint's 150M subscribers, with a much higher rate of buying high-end smartphones?

Note: China's largest two networks account for about 700M GSM users. Their largest carrier with about 550M subscribers use TD-SCDMA, which is a less patent unencumbered tech derived from the same 3G in the iPhone. It even uses te same UMTS air interface.

http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/cdma_wo...r.asp#cdma2000

ASIA has twice the CDMA 2000 deployments to that of North America. End of story.

World wide CDMA is just over 500 Million.

GSM is greater than 4.5 Billion. [http://www.gsmworld.com/]

Asia has > 300 Million of the CDMA deployments.

Verizon is moving to LTE. AT&T is moving to LTE. Designing the next version of the iPhone 4LTE [5] means they can cover both vendors and not have to manufacture two different solutions.
post #57 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/cdma_wo...r.asp#cdma2000

ASIA has twice the CDMA 2000 deployments to that of North America. End of story.

World wide CDMA is just over 500 Million.

GSM is greater than 4.5 Billion. [http://www.gsmworld.com/]

Asia has > 300 Million of the CDMA deployments.

Verizon is moving to LTE. AT&T is moving to LTE. Designing the next version of the iPhone 4LTE [5] means they can cover both vendors and not have to manufacture two different solutions.

1) Your original comment was specifically about China, not Asia as a whole. You were wrong then, there are only about 65-70M subs on CDMA in China on their smallest MNO. Why is it so hard for people to realize CDMA/CDMA2000 is the smallest player in China.

2) Your comments seem to focus on ‘2G’ technology (CDMA and GSM). That is pointless, especially when you then leading up to talk of ‘4G’ technologies. Take a look at S. Korea. All carriers have CDMA, yet the iPhone has been a huge success there. That can’t be possible based on the argument your stated. The reason the iPhone can work there is because 2 of the 3 carriers wised up awhile ago and decided to go for W-CDMA for 3G, not CDMA2000.

3) LTE won’t be a real players for a couple years. If you think LTE is on the cusp of exploding into the market in such a way that vendors won’t have to add any 2G or 3G chips for fallback then show me some chips that are equivalent in size and power efficiency as the 3G chips in the iPhone now. I certainly don’t know of any. I can’t even find any “world more” 2G/3G chips that come close.

4) You say there are over 500M CDMA users world wide, but there are 700M GSM users just in China. That should tell you something about China’s ‘2G’ market.
post #58 of 146
. . .
post #59 of 146
Quote:

. . .

Let me guess sol, you are speechless?
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #60 of 146
Quote:

But first this is an open call to DaHarder to come out here, show himself, and tell us what he thinks of this.

This is the clear mating call of a troll.
post #61 of 146
Great reply; man's got moxie!
post #62 of 146
This is why I love Appleinsider!
post #63 of 146
Quote:

Your guess seems pretty reasonable. I cant see them continuing the free cases so I think the best customers might get is an at-time-of-purchase discount on the Bumper (but not the other cases). Though, maybe not even that as its clearly not an issue in other countries, shown to clearly be an issue affecting devices Rx/Tx RF, and simply not the issue it was made it out to be.

All joking aside, I would bet that this particular issue can be fixed with SW/firmware.

What I cant wait for is other manufacturers following Apples lead in using the frame as the antenna to allow for more internal space within a given total volume. That will be laughable after these companies made the claims they did.

Maybe if there is a way to hack an android phone and install iOS, the problems could be fixed?
post #64 of 146
<pointing>
"HA HA!!!"
</Nelson>
post #65 of 146
Quote:

But at least you don't have to worry about the death touch like with the iPhone 4.

Well, according to the article, the Droid 2 loses signal if you just think about touching it.
post #66 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Keep hanging. The only reason a CMDA phone makes sense for Apple to develop is to expand into the Chinese Markets.

Are you serious? Wow. One of us is really out of touch.
post #67 of 146
where the only thing that makes any sense is to have a phone from AT&T, Verizon and US Celluar. Then you can get reception it's about anywhere, but NOT everywhere.

Hell, we just switched to Sprint (don't ask why). And while it's not the best choice, the phones do work well in some odd places, and not bad most anywhere else.

Once ALL phones start working great, we will find something else about them we don't like, or think should work better.

Skip

PS But I do agree, we need to let the world know, not to buy a Droid as they don't work. Oh, that's just the antenna thing, no big deal.
post #68 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I've got $500 saying the national news and the vast majority of local news outlets will not pounce on this or even mention it in passing. It's not that the media is unfair to Apple, it's that nobody really gives a damn about Android.

You are very right and the funny thing is you really won't see this on Engadget.
1st Gen iPhone, Apple T.V., iMac 20'
1st Gen iPhone, Apple T.V., iMac 20'
post #69 of 146
Cue massive amount of MSM critical coverage of Verizon, Android, and Motorola.

Yeah, right.
post #70 of 146
I can hear Steve laughing uncontrollably in his office.
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by themus View Post

I just registered because I just had to reply to this comment.

You're so right! LOL.

actually the nexus one had big problem with reception long before the iphone stole the show.
post #72 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

At least in the US, the trademark for Droid (for mobile phones) is owned by Verizon not Motorola. Thus Verizon can use it for any of the phones they carry (and Motorola cannot use it with other carriers).
post #73 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

You're referring to Sam Diaz, who only thinks he's Jesus. He used to think he was Moses until he fell and busted his butt while strutting down Mulholland Drive with a couple of slate roofing tiles that he claimed were holy tablets.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With Droid 2, users who are experiencing the problem report that it happens even while sitting idle and "without holding it wrong," according to the report.

Looks like Steve was precisely correct, as usual.
post #75 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but does it say that they are dropping calls? I thought we established a while back that bars are meaningless.

On most phones the bars are meaningless. Apple's bars are accurate, however. They used ATTs recommendations so there bars on the iPhone are real.
post #76 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Nobody really cares about Android. Nobody loves Android the way we love Apple. Everybody is addicted to BOGO or else Android wouldn't be nothing.
post #77 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.

That is why Steve used the term, to show that the media and the bloggers are all idiots. I never heard the term before the Press Release.
post #78 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nobody really cares about Android. Nobody loves Android the way we love Apple. Everybody is addicted to BOGO or else Android wouldn't be nothing.

actually there are lots of people that are android fanatics. and there are lots of google fanatics. google just suffers from same problem Dell does. too many engineers/brainiacs and no great designers.
post #79 of 146
LOL. no other phone suffers from the "Look of Death". Just dont look at it or it looses signal strength
post #80 of 146
Quote:

Yep, but they have to worry about the "Death Look". Just looking at the Droid 2 makes it loose signal. No other phone does this.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2