or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2

Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2 - Page 3

post #81 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Until I can reproduce it, it is something that is non-existant.

That's a silly stance to take. I'm not even going to bother to explain why.
post #82 of 146
I am sure that there will be an update to resolve this issue.
post #83 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Correct. However, seeing as the American average unique words in one's daily vocabulary has gone from just over 1800 back in 1900 to just over 200 back in 2000 and the average knowledge of pure and applied mathematics and physics have suffered a similar slide it's no wonder it feels like this country is sliding back into the dark ages.

In 1900, a substantial number of Americans were worked like farm animals, living in factory towns and making starvation wages. Do your stats include them? Or are you talking about White America?

And today's stats - are you including the substantial number of ESL folks in there?

Or do you just make this shit up without knowing the basis for your "facts"?
post #84 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Even while standing still with a bumpered iPhone 4, I've seen signal fluctuate wildly in San Francisco. That's "wildly" as in going from no signal, to a few bars maybe with EDGE or maybe with no data at all, to 5 bars with 3G. .

That is an industry-wide problem.
post #85 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Looks like Steve was precisely correct, as usual.

"Jef Raskin remembers: "[Jobs] would try to push himself into everything. No matter what you were doing, he had to have something to do with it. Nobody at Apple wanted him involved with their projects. I had started the Macintosh team and we didn't want him either. The standard way [Jobs] operated was picking your brain. He would immediately poo-poo the idea, then a week later, he'd come back and say, 'Hey, I've got a great idea!' The idea that he gave back to you was your own. We called him the Reality Distortion Field."
post #86 of 146
Quote:

That is the way most smokers feel about lung cancer. Good for you!
post #87 of 146
Quote:

Nobody loves Android the way we love Apple.

Damn straight. I'm yet to meet an Android owner that acts like they would love to bone their phone.
post #88 of 146
A youtube is due demonstarating Droid issues including the manufacturer's case.
bb
bb
post #89 of 146
@ all the joksters on this thread. There is no other forum I frequent that so often has well informed memebers capable of a mature debate that can all make so many comments that I'm literally trying not to spit coffee from laughing. Good week so far.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #90 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I have terrible VZ coverage at my house so I have basically the same problem (not a Droid 2) but it's not that big of a deal. Just don't hold it that way. Seriously. These are amazing devices and all you have to do to avoid problems is not cover the antenna. How hard is that really? When I hear people complain about this stuff I get the mental image of a fussy 2 year old or something.

But when iPhone users said the same thing a few weeks ago, we were criticized incessantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I've got $500 saying the national news and the vast majority of local news outlets will not pounce on this or even mention it in passing. It's not that the media is unfair to Apple, it's that nobody really gives a damn about Android.

Of course they won't make a big deal out of it. They like to bash Apple. AT MOST, they' have a very brief comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeBananas View Post

Didn't motorola/verizon run an add saying they DIDN'T have any issues. Tut tut tut

It was a stupid ad for them to run, anyway. Even when they ran it, there was plenty of evidence that their phones were affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

where the only thing that makes any sense is to have a phone from AT&T, Verizon and US Celluar. Then you can get reception it's about anywhere, but NOT everywhere.

They never had this problem on Star Trek. Why can't we use their communicators?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #91 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

Apple is right; this problem is a matter of 'unsettled science.' Whole divisions of companies (and entire companies themselves) are approaching the issue from different perspectives because the scientific problem hasn't yet been 'solved.' People know this, which is why the number of iPhones coming back is tiny.

Actually, sounds like a different issue. My guess would be a simple software update could resolve this issue, though strange that it would not have been caught before release of the device.

Curious how the screen is on the Droid 2, I know Droid X had like one of the worst touch screen ratings out there.
post #92 of 146
Poor Android What will they do? I think Apple has some cases they can use
post #93 of 146
Year of the Free Bumper
post #94 of 146
Quote:

And today's stats - are you including the substantial number of ESL folks in there?

Immigration in per capita terms in 1900 was much higher than it is for 2010. So, ESL is irrelevant here.

Society is getting stupider. Kids in high school now don't know their multiplication tables so even asking them to do long division by hand is a non-starter. Technology does make people dumber largely because they think technology inherently makes them smarter. All you have to do is read the SMS-style English term paper kids are handing in. Ask kids where water comes from and they say "the tap." I know, I know, each generation says the one that is following is getting worse and we sometimes overromanticize previous generations but c'mon, you have to be blind not to have noticed the long-term trends.

Our society is getting overreliant on "bulls**t technology" like Twitter and Facebook.
post #95 of 146
How ironic that smart phones have been so far developed that they have HD video, high res-photography, thousands upon thousands of apps, and a touch screen interface -- yet even my old Treo 650 and my Dad's old Nokia grayscale phone (6150?) that he has remained so dedicated to and has stocked back-ups of this phone purchased from eBay, both have fewer "reception issues" than these high-tech iPhones and Droids. I am assuming this is because these phones have little antenna nubs on the top of them which are not covered by your hands in normal usage.

Stop sacrificing quality and function for appearance! I am picked on sometimes for having a "bulky" cell phone because it's not the "latest thing" and my Treo is just so incredibly large. But you know what? It works. I tried my darnedest the other day to see if I could get my signal to drop by putting my hands in various places on my phone. I could only get my signal to drop by turning the phone upside down and putting both hands around the antenna portion.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an old fuddy duddy who still uses a $29.95 grandfather plan from the inception of Cingular.

Think different.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
post #96 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

Immigration in per capita terms in 1900 was much higher than it is for 2010. So, ESL is irrelevant here.

Society is getting stupider. Kids in high school now don't know their multiplication tables so even asking them to do long division by hand is a non-starter. Technology does make people dumber largely because they think technology inherently makes them smarter. All you have to do is read the SMS-style English term paper kids are handing in. Ask kids where water comes from and they say "the tap." I know, I know, each generation says the one that is following is getting worse and we sometimes overromanticize previous generations but c'mon, you have to be blind not to have noticed the long-term trends.

Our society is getting overreliant on "bulls**t technology" like Twitter and Facebook.

Great points, Patrickwalker. I agree!
post #97 of 146
I love the sound of breaking glass.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #98 of 146
Quote:

Yeah, and the years are passing ever so quickly! Christmas seems like yesterday!! Now now please make your self a nice cup of coffee and relax a little in your couch. And don't forget to put that cushion in your back, as well as the wool blanket on your legs.
post #99 of 146
Quote:

Even while standing still with a bumpered iPhone 4, I've seen signal fluctuate wildly in San Francisco. That's "wildly" as in going from no signal, to a few bars maybe with EDGE or maybe with no data at all, to 5 bars with 3G. Even with 5 bars and 3G, the Internet would sometimes be completely unresponsive. Rebooting did not help. It's ridiculous. I understand now what SF residents have been complaining about with AT&T. Never have I experienced such trouble in other metropolitan areas I've lived in or visited. Verizon users, now that there are more than just a few of you using cellular data, welcome to the club. But at least you don't have to worry about the death touch like with the iPhone 4.

Well... San Francisco is a special place and there is a special something in the air...

...quite a lot of special somethings, actually!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #100 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.

If you don't like using hotel names from 30 years ago, why not double down and call it:

Droid-Flamingo?

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #101 of 146
Quote:

Technology does make people dumber largely because they think technology inherently makes them smarter. *It really does.

I checked Wikipedia, your wrong.

Seriously though, I haven't read any studies that show any correlation between a lowing intelligence and technology usage. Everything show humans progressing faster because of technology, not inspite of.

If you are referring to knowledge and not one basic ability to learn, I haven't read anything on that either, but I have noticed that each new generation deems different things important so while you might find it egregious that less kids know where Istanbul is on a map they do seem to know more complex concepts at a younger age. I'd say these are more important traits.

I bet there was a time, not too long ago, when not knowing how to hunt or farm made you look like a lazy idiot, and any concepts or ideas you had about the world we now take for granted were best left unspoken or else you'd seem even dumber. I'm sure there are some famous examples out there.

Frankly speaking, I don't consider rote memorization an accurate measure for intelligence and I have to wonder if it's as necessary in this digital age of highly accessible information. I'll conclude with a quote from Einstein, "Never memorize what you can look up in books."
post #102 of 146

I thought Verizon's superior network would have prevented issues like this.
post #103 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Why? Because you say so? Are you an authority on the etymology of English words?

That's how language evolves. It has always worked like that. There are many, many words and phrases in English that emerge from an unrelated event and come to have other, broader meanings. You use those words all the time. Have you ever uttered the phrase "bug" in the context that it's a glitch in software? Then, you've done exactly the same thing as people who add "-gate" to the end of a word. Are people who use the term "computer bug" also idiots? That phrase came from a specific event and later evolved to represent an entire class of things. Just like "-gate."

Like it or not, the suffix "-gate" will probably enter the language as signifying a scandalous or notorious series of events. And that will be no different and no less legitimate than how thousands of other words have entered the language.

Well... hoi polloi for you!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #104 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

+++ qft
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #105 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You're referring to Sam Diaz, who only thinks he's Jesus. He used to think he was Moses until he fell and busted his butt while strutting down Mulholland Drive with a couple of slate roofing tiles that he claimed were holy tablets.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #106 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

LOL. no other phone suffers from the "Look of Death". Just dont look at it or it looses signal strength

I used to date a girl who had the same effect (on me)!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #107 of 146
Lets hope Motorola learns from Apples PR gaffe. They should immediately work on the issue, and when they are at fault, admit it and do a full recall of the device. Do this within two weeks and hassle free. Just admit, fix, and get on with life.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #108 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Because it's not made by Apple.
post #109 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It makes a lot of sense in the USA also. It makes even more sense if the phone supports LTE that Verizon is rolling out.

Either way the signals are pretty clear, iPhone is coming to more providers in the US. Given that Verizon is a possibility the phone would have to support CDMA.

I deffinately agree that alot of people want this.. but that seems to be the only thing fueling these rumors. There sounds like evidence of a CDMA phone, but that really in know way links the rumor to Verizon.

I personally would have to agree that if a CDMA phone does pan out, it's most likely for China.
post #110 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It was a stupid ad for them to run, anyway. Even when they ran it, there was plenty of evidence that their phones were affected.

Assuming you mean the ad for the X?

And assuming by "evidence" you mean that video Apple put up where they had to find a model with the largest hands in the world to wrap around the phone in the most unnatural, uncomfortable grip ever and they were only able to make the bars drop, but not the actual call drop?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #111 of 146
Quote:

Both use IMT-TD Time-Division.

Actually no. Most WCDMA installations use FDD. Yes a TDD mode of UMTS (actually two versions) has been defined, but is not very commonly used. The Chinese TD-SCDMA has other differences as well like the lower chiprate etc.. They most definitely are not the same radio interface.

From the ever so (un)reliable Wikipedia:
Quote:
"TD-SCDMA uses TDD, in contrast to the FDD scheme used by W-CDMA"

and
Quote:
"UMTS-TDD is not directly compatible with UMTS"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS-TDD

In WCDMA uplink and downlink are on separate frequencies (FDD).

Regs, Jarkko
post #112 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Actually no. Most WCDMA installations use FDD. Yes a TDD mode of UMTS (actually two versions) has been defined, but is not very commonly used.

All of this is known to me; I can get much more detailed but its simply pointless to qualify every variance between these techs. I clearly stated both use, not "only use and the entire point of my post was not about how TD-SCDMA and W-CDMA differ, but how TD-SCDMA is not CDMA and how China doesnt have this huge CDMA network as previously stated. Everything else just clouds the issue to the point that mdriftmeyer still probably thinks China is mostly CDMA.
post #113 of 146
Quote:

All of this is known to me; I can get much more detailed but its simply pointless to qualify every variance between these techs. I clearly stated both use, not "only use and the entire point of my post was not about how TD-SCDMA and W-CDMA differ, but how TD-SCDMA is not CDMA and how China doesnt have this huge CDMA network as previously stated. Everything else just clouds the issue to the point that mdriftmeyer still probably thinks China is mostly CDMA.

OK. I misunderstood your intention and comparison when you said they are the same radio. At a protocol and architecture level, TD-SCMA is indeed a (slower) 3G tech based on the UMTS family (of which WCMDA is the most common incarnation) and much more closely related to WCDMA 3G than the 2G CDMA used by Verizon and numerous other international operators.

Regs, Jarkko
post #114 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

If no calls are getting dropped, so what?

Yep. Same thing the Apple fanbois have been saying. The bars are not measuring reception. Just signal strength (ie that you are reasonably close to an appropriate tower). You can have 5 bars but if the tower is overloaded with calls, you ain't getting through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Because it ain't Apple being dissed. Remember, all sites Gawker, especially Giz, have a cell tower sized stick up their rears about Apple cause of that nasty detail that Jobs is cooperating with the Çali DA over the prototype issue. And Apple refusing them press passes for WWDC (and apparently also the iphone 4 conference and likely everything else until hell freezes over)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

What we may also find is that Apple will include 1 bumper (say generic black) with the phone and then sell the coloured ones as separate sales items.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The September thing may be due to a need to redo the actual packing to have room for a bumper in the box. Which they believe they can roll by the end of Sept.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #115 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Assuming you mean the ad for the X?

And assuming by "evidence" you mean that video Apple put up where they had to find a model with the largest hands in the world to wrap around the phone in the most unnatural, uncomfortable grip ever and they were only able to make the bars drop, but not the actual call drop?

No, I was referring to their ad making fun of the iPhone's antenna problems.

And it wasn't Apple's web page that really skewered them, it was hundreds of videos on YouTube that showed that they suffered the same problem - all at the same time as they were making fun of Apple.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #116 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I used to date a girl who had the same effect (on me)!

Yeah, but the trick is ... to make sure you have that effect on her .... that's when things get interesting, very interesting .... but not funny! (with apologies to Arte Johnson)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #117 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, according to the article, the Droid 2 loses signal if you just think about touching it.

Same goes with the iPhone 4 in some locations, as noted.
post #118 of 146
Quote:

What's a "death touch"?

Touching the antenna gap of the iPhone 4, of course.

Quote:
I have been unable to cause any signal drop on any of the 20 or so iPhone 4's I've handled

You won't see it in Apple stores, where AT&T repeaters are likely installed for high signal strength.

Quote:

Just ignore those reports from Ars Technica and Consumer Reports. They don't exist.
post #119 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Yep, but they have to worry about the "Death Look". Just looking at the Droid 2 makes it loose signal. No other phone does this.

Uh, the iPhone 4 in at least some parts of San Francisco suffers from the same problem.
post #120 of 146
Quote:

Same goes with the iPhone 4 in some locations, as noted.

Quote:

Uh, the iPhone 4 in at least some parts of San Francisco suffers from the same problem.

Hello new troll! So, what you are saying is that the Droid phones suffer from the same antenna problems as everyone got hysterical about for the iP4? Welcome aboard the reality bandwagon.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2