or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's latest iPad ad is heavy on apps, adjectives
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's latest iPad ad is heavy on apps, adjectives

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Apple's new 30-second TV spot for its touchscreen tablet, the iPad, relies on a series of applications and adjectives to pitch the popular product.

Posted this week on the company's official YouTube page, the new advertisement shows off a range of software available on the App Store, including Flipboard, iBooks, Twitter and Pages. "iPad isn't just one thing," the video's description reads. "It's thousands of things." The advertisement is entitled, "iPad is Delicious."

The 30-second advertisement does not have any voiceovers. Instead, it relies on images of hands interacting with software on the iPad. The quick glimpses are accompanied by a series of words that describe what the iPad "is," including "delicious," "current," "playful," "literary" and "artful."

The last displayed adjective is "magical," a word that Apple has consistently used to promote the iPad.

It's a change from the previous iPad ad, which relied on a voiceover that answered the question "What is iPad?" The commercial showed users out and about, interacting with their iPad, and described the hardware as "thin," "beautiful," and "magical."

iPad was introduced with its first ad campaign in March, with a TV spot that demonstrated browsing through photos, watching videos, downloading e-books, and browsing the Web. The first commercial debuted during the Academy Awards, nearly a month before the device launched in the U.S.



Customers ordering from Apple's online store will also have an easier time getting their hands on an iPad, as the company is slowly catching up with strong demand for the product. Apple this week quietly improved the estimated shipping time of all iPad models, both Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable, to 3-5 days. Previously, users had to wait an estimated 7 to 10 days for their order to ship.
post #2 of 46
I like Apple's new advertising approach. They're dismissing specs as insignificant and show off products on a more personal level, like what it can do for you and what you can do with it. Unlike others who are touting specs of their hardware like it matters to the casual consumers. "1ghz this and that, 4.3" this and that, 8MP this and that, Its coming like a f*#king robot alien invation, etc." Only the techies will get a jizz hearing and seeing specs on ads.. I can see why Apple stopped the I'm a Mac campaign..
post #3 of 46
Pleasant ad. And yeah, screw the specs. It's magical!

They forgot one word: stallion ...when referring to the battery stamina
That would sound a bit sexual though LOL

Edit: I am hoping though my iPad battery life will continue to be quite good after a year or two. Too early to tell at this stage.
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I like Apple's new advertising approach. They're dismissing specs as insignificant and show off products on a more personal level, like what it can do for you and what you can do with it. Unlike others who are touting specs of their hardware like it matters to the casual consumers. "1ghz this and that, 4.3" this and that, 8MP this and that, Its coming like a f*#king robot alien invation, etc." Only the techies will get a jizz hearing and seeing specs on ads.. I can see why Apple stopped the I'm a Mac campaign..

The Get A Mac campaign served a great purpose, and for the time, was absolutely perfect. It went on a little too long, I agree, but it wasn't uncommon to these ads in the sense that they didn't tout specs, but features, applications, and the ability to enjoy your computer. Thinking about it, though, I haven't seen a single Mac ad in quite a while, so I wonder what they have up their sleeve for those.
post #5 of 46
I think they have to use many different words because there is no one word yet for such a new thing, and it's still being defined what it is good at and what it will end up being.
post #6 of 46
I got mine last week. I told my girlfriend that I was going to get the wifi 3g 64 gig but she went and got me the 16 gig wifi 3g.
Arrrgh!!!!
I love that freaking machine!!!!!!
And for those of you that are skeptical about the Apple branded case for ipad. Don't be. It is a high quality enclosure. Next up is the berry space suit sleeve from Booq.
Booq is super high quality!
post #7 of 46
Excellent ad.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I got mine last week. I told my girlfriend that I was going to get the wifi 3g 64 gig but she went and got me the 16 gig wifi 3g.
Arrrgh!!!!
I love that freaking machine!!!!!!
And for those of you that are skeptical about the Apple branded case for ipad. Don't be. It is a high quality enclosure. Next up is the berry space suit sleeve from Booq.
Booq is super high quality!

The 3G version is awesome. Even when I don't use the cell data, it worth it because the GPS chip in it is Awesome for hiking. I just turn off wireless, load up a gps app (Like gaia gps) put it in my backpack and record my trails. When I get to the top i can check out other trails to see if I want to take a different way back. The battery life is crazy, way better than the iPhone 4 for this. can get around 10-15 hours with wireless off (I download the topo maps of the area before I go)
post #9 of 46
Battery life is nothing short of amazing. You can easily go an entire weekend of moderate use without getting below 50%. The iPhone 4 is a big improvement over 3G in terms of battery life, but the iPad blows it away.
post #10 of 46
Excellent ad. Excellent product.
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I got mine last week. I told my girlfriend that I was going to get the wifi 3g 64 gig but she went and got me the 16 gig wifi 3g.
Arrrgh!!!!
I love that freaking machine!!!!!!
And for those of you that are skeptical about the Apple branded case for ipad. Don't be. It is a high quality enclosure. Next up is the berry space suit sleeve from Booq.
Booq is super high quality!

Another big fan of the iPad and apple case here. And the battery life...it's utterly awesome!
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Battery life is nothing short of amazing. You can easily go an entire weekend of moderate use without getting below 50%. The iPhone 4 is a big improvement over 3G in terms of battery life, but the iPad blows it away.

I would hope so considering the size of each device.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I would hope so considering the size of each device.

By that logic, a 17" laptop should blow the iPad's battery life away, but none of them do. It's not just the size of the battery, but how it's used, and there is nothing on the market that beats the iPad in terms of power efficiency. Simply amazing.
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Another big fan of the iPad and apple case here. And the battery life...it's utterly awesome!

Ditto. On all counts.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Ditto. On all counts.

the speakers are an amazing plus- actually good relative to the size. Simply being able to stream Pandora after iOs4 will be a major step up in usability.

also, taking/cutting hd movies with iphone4 thru iMovie then watching on the iPad is great family fun.
post #16 of 46
What is the Scientific category app shown in the ad? The night sky tracker one
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by owt View Post

What is the Scientific category app shown in the ad? The night sky tracker one

I haven't seen the ad, but usually iTunes has a place to highlight apps shown in advertisements. I can't access either here at the office, so I can't say for sure.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by owt View Post

What is the Scientific category app shown in the ad? The night sky tracker one

I think it is Elements. And I think Star Walk is the constellation one.
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think it is Elements. And I think Star Walk is the constellation one.

Yes, it's Star Walk. Thank you.
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by owt View Post

What is the Scientific category app shown in the ad? The night sky tracker one

The app is StarWalk ($4.99 for iPad). I turn off the constellations so it just shows planets and stars (and galaxies) as you pan around, pointing in different directions. It's fun to point down, so you can see right through the earth.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Pleasant ad. And yeah, screw the specs. It's magical!

They forgot one word: stallion ...when referring to the battery stamina
That would sound a bit sexual though LOL

Edit: I am hoping though my iPad battery life will continue to be quite good after a year or two. Too early to tell at this stage.

I think Apple claims it can be expected to last like 5 years so that ought to be enough time before it is replaced or retired to lesser purposes.
post #22 of 46
That's how you demonstrate your product, with real life application.

Unlike some ads that turns an eye into a robotic eye...
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

I haven't seen the ad, but usually iTunes has a place to highlight apps shown in advertisements. I can't access either here at the office, so I can't say for sure.

It's called Star Walk. Great app!
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo33 View Post

It's called Star Walk. Great app!

Is the other app My Blackboard ?
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
post #25 of 46
Why is astrological replaced with magical?

JK I guess they had to stick that somewhere. Honestly iPad is beating all the expectations I had of how many people would buy it. On the other hand some prominent people that bought them (Kevin Rose being one) have stated that the device is not as appealing to them as it was when they bought it.

I think gen2 would be the real gauge of weather iPad is a success or not, after people have been able to compare and decide, and after novelty has worn off some. That said I think gen2 would also be a lot better then gen1.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #26 of 46
Out of respect for our nay-sayer brethren, I feel compelled to point out that this commercial does not include necessary disclaimers such as:

1. No USB port.
2. No HDMI.
3. No camera.
4. No Flash support

Clearly, if people knew of these limitations up front, they would not be fooled into buying these crippled devices. On behalf of the nay-sayers, I propose a class action law suit for misleading advertising! Who's with me?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Out of respect for our nay-sayer brethren, I feel compelled to point out that this commercial does not include necessary disclaimers such as:

1. No USB port.
2. No HDMI.
3. No camera.
4. No Flash support

Clearly, if people knew of these limitations up front, they would not be fooled into buying these crippled devices. On behalf of the nay-sayers, I propose a class action law suit for misleading advertising! Who's with me?

Don't forget it overheats in extreme temperatures or in direct sunlight. Even humans don't do that.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Out of respect for our nay-sayer brethren, I feel compelled to point out that this commercial does not include necessary disclaimers such as:

1. No USB port.
2. No HDMI.
3. No camera.
4. No Flash support

Clearly, if people knew of these limitations up front, they would not be fooled into buying these crippled devices. On behalf of the nay-sayers, I propose a class action law suit for misleading advertising! Who's with me?

I'm assuming you are just poking around for reaction. What you consider a "crippled" device is simply a device. With these features (possibly) in future releases... although I have heard that you can connect a USB flash drive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qDrDC-HD-M) using the Camera Connection Kit and iFile to access it.

Engadget has an old story about connecting a USB keyboard and/or headset (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/25/i...board-support/)...

But like I said, I get the distinct impression you were just trolling for reaction.

And, I would like official USB support, too.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

They forgot one word: stallion ...when referring to the battery stamina
I am hoping though my iPad battery life will continue to be quite good after a year or two. Too early to tell at this stage.

Not trying to be critical here but why turn a positive into a negative? Imagine how silly it would be for me to say: Wow, today is such a wonderful day .... I only hope that 2 years from now will be a good day too. I mean, it's no big deal but I just think, for me at least, it's better to see and focus on the positive than to even consider the negatives.

Now if, in two years time, the battery is not all you think it should be ... then , by all means ... criticize away...... just my 2 cents
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Don't forget it overheats in extreme temperatures or in direct sunlight. Even humans don't do that.

I don't know about that ..... back in the day, I've been known to heat up in the back seat of my old chevy ..... ( Dick A , here's your straight line, don't screw it up) ....
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

I'm assuming you are just poking around for reaction. What you consider a "crippled" device is simply a device. With these features (possibly) in future releases... although I have heard that you can connect a USB flash drive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qDrDC-HD-M) using the Camera Connection Kit and iFile to access it.

Engadget has an old story about connecting a USB keyboard and/or headset (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/25/i...board-support/)...

But like I said, I get the distinct impression you were just trolling for reaction.

And, I would like official USB support, too.


Actually, I think his post was just a shot at the Apple haters. He has a subtle brand of humor ..... but still humorous, all the same.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not trying to be critical here but why turn a positive into a negative? Imagine how silly it would be for me to say: Wow, today is such a wonderful day .... I only hope that 2 years from now will be a good day too. I mean, it's no big deal but I just think, for me at least, it's better to see and focus on the positive than to even consider the negatives.

Now if, in two years time, the battery is not all you think it should be ... then , by all means ... criticize away...... just my 2 cents

Batteries are known to degrade over time. So his comment makes sense. Your wonderful day analogy has no correlation because the weather is good some days and bad on others. But there is nothing wrong with being an optimist.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Actually, I think his post was just a shot at the Apple haters. He has a subtle brand of humor ..... but still humorous, all the same.

Bingo, and for the sake of multi-cultural interpretation: Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Ding, ding, ding, ding! Correctomundo! Got it right on the nose! Boom!

I'd better throw in a few of these for good measure.

Some of us have a long standing tradition of poking fun at the Apple bashers. They are always full of what is wrong with the latest Apple product and why it will fail. The iPad's success makes them look kind of stupid. I like to help make them look stupid by poking fun at them. It is all in good fun. No worries.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Batteries are known to degrade over time. So his comment makes sense. Your wonderful day analogy has no correlation because the weather is good some days and bad on others. But there is nothing wrong with being an optimist.


According to Al Gore .... weather degrades over time, as well.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Bingo, and for the sake of multi-cultural interpretation: Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Ding, ding, ding, ding! Correctomundo! Got it right on the nose! Boom!
I'd better throw in a few of these for good measure.


Wow, all these prizes ..... I'm gonna need a bigger "grab bag" ! or not.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Out of respect for our nay-sayer brethren, I feel compelled to point out that this commercial does not include necessary disclaimers such as:

1. No USB port.
2. No HDMI.
3. No camera.
4. No Flash support

Clearly, if people knew of these limitations up front, they would not be fooled into buying these crippled devices. On behalf of the nay-sayers, I propose a class action law suit for misleading advertising! Who's with me?


Bill Gates and his hardware partners released tablets 9years ago with those features you mention and again the iPad sold more units then any other company combine together for the past 9 years. Even tablet running windows 7 can't match the fraction what Apple sold. Even Microsot have to ask iPad users to come to their head office to answer some question and in return you get a gift.
USB, I hardly use it on my Macbook, and all the time I used email to transfer files.
No camera, I think camera on tablet is not practical, webcam yes. My opinion I don't need a camera because my iPhone already has a camera. Just imagine holding a 10" tablet to try to take a photo, compare to the iPhone.
Most site is supporting HTML 5, and it's more efficient than flash and doesn't kill your battery
life. HDMI is pointless because the iPad screen doesn't support full HD.
post #37 of 46
I was completely on-board with the entire ad until they resorted to that tired 'Magical' nonsense.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #38 of 46
It's a good ad. Apple did a nice job. The term "magical" is fine with me. To the totally non-techie types like my wife and kids who are 10 and 6, it is indeed "magical" to them when they mess with one at an Apple Store. All of us want one bad, but I'm holding out for version 2 next year.
post #39 of 46
Magical is appropriate - how else does an underpowered, large iPod Touch out- muscle a netbook with "real" apps, a full bloated OS, USB ports, and 2 hours of battery life? Magic, that's how.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I enjoy my iPad for some applications your comments about netbooks is somewhat misleading. Your average netbook by Asus can run Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter without any problems. Most also come with a 6 cell battery that can last 10 hours with moderate use. So the iPad battery life for something not running a full OS isn't all that special.

The iPad actually lacks alot. For most of us even on this forum we find it hard to justify pulling out our iPad when our MBP is right there in sleep mode and can do everything.

The iPad is one of those products thats seems great when you first start using it and then over time you find it meets our needs less and less. Hopefully it will mature as a product and narrow the gap from what it is to what it truly can be.

As an example there is no reason the iPad can't have a USB port and an HDMI out port. There is also no reason why a multi function tablet isn't powerful enough to stream flash content.

Remember many members of this forum said this product was going to narrow the gap or for that matter Slate computing was going to take over notebooks and it isn't even remotely close to doing either.

I would also love to see the iPad get alot more attention when it comes to higher end games. The reality is the iPad could be the best hand held gaming system ever built and I just don't see alot going into higher end games for some reason.

I am thinking just like the iPhone the iPad 4 could be a very different product then the one I have today. Or at least I hope so.

My comment is facetious at best - I wouldn't call the iPad magical, but I prefer it to any of the netbooks I've been unfortunate enough to play with.

I use my iPad every single day. I carry it to school, I lie in bed with it and watch movies and play games, and I read USA Today every morning on it when I'm downing my breakfast protein shake.

As for Flash, I installed Flash on my iPhone and iPad just so I could watch Joe Cartoon - runs pretty good, too.

I think Version 1 of the iPad is awesome - look forward to 2,3,4,5.....

The iPad lacks a lot of the features found on my iMac, Macbook Pro etc... of course, it was designed to be different than those devices - and I knew that when I bought it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's latest iPad ad is heavy on apps, adjectives