or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple testing iOS 4.1 alongside next-gen iPod touch, iPad and 'unknown' product
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple testing iOS 4.1 alongside next-gen iPod touch, iPad and 'unknown' product

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
Apple is internally testing the first material update to its iOS 4.0 mobile operating system against a handful of new devices, including next-generation iPod touches, an iPad revision, and an "unknown" product, AppleInsider has discovered.

According to people familiar with the matter, the latest beta of iOS 4.1, due to ship in the coming weeks, includes three new "Configuration Descriptors" within its USB configuration files -- all of which pertain to devices that list "Apple, Inc." as their "manufacturer" -- as can be seen in the screenshot below.

The first product, a fourth-generation iPod touch, is referenced within the code as "iPod 4,1." That particular identifier indicates the device will be the first iteration of a fourth-generation device, rather than a revision to the touch's existing design, which would have been denoted as an "iPod 3,2."

For Apple, this represents the fourth consecutive year in which the company will deliver a significant internal or external design change to its flagship iPod, preserving a tradition that has seen the media player's adopt the architecture of iPhones that hit the market a few months earlier.

As such, this year's iPod touch family calls for models akin to a slimmer iPhone 4, equipped with dual cameras, FaceTime support, Apple's custom A4 processor, and high resolution Retina Display. For reference, the first three generations of the iPod touch were identified as "iPod 1,1," "iPod 2,1" and "iPod 3,1," respectively.

The second unreleased product referenced in the USB configuration files is "iProd 2,1." All indications are that this device represents a material update to the company's iPad, as the inaugural version of the device released this past April was similarly listed in configuration files as "iProd 1,1" prior to its announcement.

Finally, and most intriguing, is a previously undiscovered mention of a mysterious device listed only as "unknownHardware." Although the configuration files tag this device with a unique Apple product ID of 20547, it's textual descriptor is similarly listed as "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device."



While purely speculative at this time, it's possible that those place holders are related to an Apple TV reincarnation -- rumored to be dubbed iTV -- that will reportedly jettison its existing Mac OS X-based software platform for one built around iOS 4.0 and capable of running applications found on the App Store.

Apple is widely expected to hold its annual music and media event next month, as it has done for the past several years, ushering in the fourth-generation iPod touches and potentially the much rumored Apple TV makeover.
post #2 of 67
Have my visa card in hand.
post #3 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is widely expected to hold its annual music and media event next month, as it has don't for the past several years, ushering in the fourth-generation iPod touches and potentially the much rumored Apple TV makeover.



As I said before am looking forward to this event. Just need to secure a campus job so I have $.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #4 of 67
What has 2 thumbs and is ready for the new AppleTV? This guy!
post #5 of 67
Those smart scienticians are working their magic down at the Apple laboratories.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #6 of 67
good, bring a new iDevice on. Yet another iOS iDevice...


PS: just noticed, my 69th post
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Finally, and most intriguing, is a previously undiscovered mention of a mysterious device listed only as "unknownHardware." Although the configuration files tag this device with a unique Apple product ID of 20547, it's textual descriptor is similarly listed as "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device."

I did a quick Google search on this number and came up with a reference from March, 2009:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ew-ipod-touch/

So, is it possible this device has been in testing for over a year and probably longer?


Quote:
<key>unknownHardware</key>
<dict>
<key>ConfigurationDescriptors</key>
<string>unknownHardware</string>
<key>deviceID</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>manufacturerString</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>productID</key>
<integer>20547</integer>
<key>productString</key>
<string>Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device</string>
<key>vendorID</key>
<integer>1452</integer>
</dict>
</dict>
post #8 of 67
What is an iProd ???
post #9 of 67
I can see that cable TV will experience the same fate as landline phone. Everyone still has it, but many people use their mobile now. I think there is a market for in iDevice based TV. This will then go the way of the mobile phones, and in 5 years people find this much more attractive and versatile than cable TV. Let's just hope the price difference is not the same as between landline and mobile phones!
post #10 of 67
I am so ready for a TV change. I love my TiVos, but recently, Time Warner, my cable provider is blocking all programs from being copied to another device. I have one TiVo upstairs and one down. I used to be able to transfer recorded shows between them using the TiVo Wi-Fi dongles I bought for them. Now I cannot. Not TiVo's fault, but is Time Warner trying to boost sales of their own DVR solution by blocking features from the competition. I so want to teach them a lesson by dropping them. If the iTV doesn't feature a DVR function, I hope that it will at least play nice with my TiVos. Here's hoping iTV with internet streaming will soon be as reliable and fast as cable so I can make the switch.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

Pretty much everything that's not a Mac is identified as an iProd (iPod, iPad, iPhone).
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???


Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

It's a dummy name so that Apple doesn't reveal the nature of an unreleased new concept.

They probably used the same designation for the iPad while the device was in the design stages.
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmamboatl View Post

I did a quick Google search on this number and came up with a reference from March, 2009:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ew-ipod-touch/

So, is it possible this device has been in testing for over a year and probably longer?

If it's an entirely new device, the product development cycle is probably a couple of years.

Heck, even a minor revision probably takes over a year anyhow. Multi-year product roadmaps are quite common in the consumer electronics industry. iPhone 5 prototypes probably powered on in a lab in Cupertino before the iPhone 4 shipped. Once a device reaches PVT/ramp phase, some of the engineering teams moves to the next-generation design.

Remember, Steve stated during the iPhone 4 launch that it took eighteen months for the engineers to deliver the handset, a major revision to an existing product.
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Pretty much everything that's not a Mac is identified as an iProd (iPod, iPad, iPhone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It's a dummy name so that Apple doesn't reveal the nature of an unreleased new concept.

They probably used the same designation for the iPad while the device was in the design stages.

Kinda like short for "iProduct" then??
post #16 of 67
Of all the shit that engineers can do, they can't mask the model number so that devices can't sniffed out?

If they use the "iPod 1,1," "iPod 2,1" and "iPod 3,1," formats, why not just turn them into "iPod x,y," "iPad x,y" and "iProd x,y," so that no one can even deduce that there's a newer model of a current product? Claiming that we should know that Apple is always working on a newer model of something is not a good argument. If that were the case, they'd answer, "Yes, we are working on a new iPad" when asked, but they always respond No Comment. So these designators are virtually proof that something newer indeed exists.

Just sayin'...people commit suicide to protect Apple secrets, yet they allow these little tidbits to leak out.
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

good, bring a new iDevice on. Yet another iOS iDevice...

I see these memes running around:

1) The new device is related to Apple TV
2) The new device runs iOS
3) The new device will sell for under 100 US$
4) The next Apple TV will include an app store and games
5) The next Apple TV will include Facetime

Some idle speculation:

A) The new device is a cheap iPod Touch-like device suitable as a remote, a game controller and a Facetime dialer. It will run iOS and all of its functions (apps) will be runnable on existing Touch, iPhone and iPad devices. It will sell for 99 bucks.

B) The next Apple TV is NOT the mystery device. It will remain OSX based and not be much cheaper than now. But, it will include an iSight so your living room TV can do Facetime, and enough cpu/gpu power to beat out the dying older generation of game console.

The whole package is going to look alot more like an xbox or ps3 with controller and internet connections. I've been thinking that even the geniuses at Apple can't fight the 6-foot interface challenge: the LR tv needs 2 devices: one for the hand and one to support the connections.

...still no blu ray...
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I can see that cable TV will experience the same fate as landline phone. Everyone still has it, but many people use their mobile now. I think there is a market for in iDevice based TV. This will then go the way of the mobile phones, and in 5 years people find this much more attractive and versatile than cable TV. Let's just hope the price difference is not the same as between landline and mobile phones!

The availability of TV content on Netflix discs, Netflix Watch Instantly, Amazon VOD, network web sites, iOS apps, etc., is making cable optional for people who are willing to trade off immediate availability of content on their big TV for some cost savings for cutting back or dropping their cable.

I don't think major IT changes over the next 5 years will accelerate that very much. Changes in the availability of content could change that a LOT, but I don't see the stakeholders opening up the availability of content in such a way that drastically reduces their revenue streams.

Comcast/NBCU has a huge stake because they're a big player in both cable networks and local cable/broadband subscriptions, and I just don't see them contributing all of their current content to an internet-delivered, subscription-based service unless it replaces the revenue from reduced ad rates and fewer cable subscribers.
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.

I want one! I'm a troll!
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Kinda like short for "iProduct" then??

It seems likely.
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Of all the shit that engineers can do, they can't mask the model number so that devices can't sniffed out?

If they use the "iPod 1,1," "iPod 2,1" and "iPod 3,1," formats, why not just turn them into "iPod x,y," "iPad x,y" and "iProd x,y," so that no one can even deduce that there's a newer model of a current product? Claiming that we should know that Apple is always working on a newer model of something is not a good argument. If that were the case, they'd answer, "Yes, we are working on a new iPad" when asked, but they always respond No Comment. So these designators are virtually proof that something newer indeed exists.

Just sayin'...people commit suicide to protect Apple secrets, yet they allow these little tidbits to leak out.

What's the point?

People know that Apple is working on next-generation designs for these product lines. These designations reveal nothing beyond the fact that Apple is working on stuff that hasn't been released. They don't deny the fact that they're working on new things. From a development perspective, it is easier to assign the bland numbering scheme.

Frankly, I think you're looking too deeply into this.
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

embedded future mobile iProduct
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

Perhaps a misspelling of the long rumored iPron?
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it's possible that those place holders are related to an Apple TV reincarnation -- rumored to be dubbed iTV -- that will reportedly jettison its existing Mac OS X-based software platform for one built around iOS 4.0 and capable of running applications found on the App Store.

Umm, how would you run touch-based apps on a TV?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #25 of 67
The music media event should be exciting. I'm pulling for the new iPad and AppleTV form factors with iOS on them.
post #26 of 67
my guess would be that the iProd(uct) 2,1 will be either the iPad gen2 or another form factor (we did have rumors of an in-between 6" iPad just recently). That being said, I can't see Apple releasing another iPad model before next January, mainly because the iPad is selling so well, why create a new product to take away sales of a product that most lay-people think is it for now. I don't think this mention is an Apple TV revamp, mainly (for reasons already stated on this forum) they would give a different nomenclature, not 2,1. So the "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device" reference could be a new iTV.

This is getting exciting, however...everyone thought the iPad was going to be announce last year in September and it didn't happen. Apple is smart to release brand-new products in the early year, it gives the market an acceptance period; 11 months of hype before the holidays.
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Umm, how would you run touch-based apps on a TV?

I could see using an app on your iPhone/iPad as a remote to run the iTV. I have an iPhone app for my Sony Blu-ray player that works great with nothing more than up, down, left, right, and tap gestures.

I don't think it would take a lot of hand-eye coordination to use an iPhone/iPad app if you can see some kind of cursor on your TV screen that follows what you're doing on the iPhone/iPad.
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Umm, how would you run touch-based apps on a TV?

With a Magic Trackpad.
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I could see using an app on your iPhone/iPad as a remote to run the iTV. I have an iPhone app for my Sony Blu-ray player that works great with nothing more than up, down, left, right, and tap gestures.

I don't think it would take a lot of hand-eye coordination to use an iPhone/iPad app if you can see some kind of cursor on your TV screen that follows what you're doing on the iPhone/iPad.

Which device you going to look at while playing a dynamic iOS game, the iPhone or the TV? Same question goes for the people that say the magic trackpad could be used as the controller.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Thompson
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post

A) The new device is a cheap iPod Touch-like device suitable as a remote, a game controller and a Facetime dialer. It will run iOS and all of its functions (apps) will be runnable on existing Touch, iPhone and iPad devices. It will sell for 99 bucks.

I don't see this one. The $99 price point is interesting and a good way for Apple to start showing up in consumer living rooms, but I see two things that make me think not:

1. The universal remote (I'm assuming that's what your inferring) just has too many wanna be's already out there. Yes, and an Apple one would be quite smart, but it would look like so many other universal remotes in blister packs at WalMart that I don't think Apple will go there, even with some serious distinction from other products.

2. This doesn't seem to fit the trend I see with iSomething devices. When I consider the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, I see devices that combine things or functions. In a sense, they take numerous complex functions and combine them into a single unit with a disctinctive and useable interface. I don't see Apple departing from this trend. And, I'm not sure I see a $99 stand alone product from Apple anytime soon.

Some other posters have hit on one thing of interest and that is the touch interface. The device itself could have a touch interface, but mirroring the interface onto a large display (TV) sparks an interest in me. That could be something to really get some traction. Especially since many consumers are now familiar with touch interfaces.

Again, Apple is a master at user interfaces. I'm still resistant to a single inexpensive device, but the possibility of offering a device with numerous functions laid out in easily accessible application icon, or other scrollable touch interface sounds very interesting.
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I could see using an app on your iPhone/iPad as a remote to run the iTV. I have an iPhone app for my Sony Blu-ray player that works great with nothing more than up, down, left, right, and tap gestures.

I don't think it would take a lot of hand-eye coordination to use an iPhone/iPad app if you can see some kind of cursor on your TV screen that follows what you're doing on the iPhone/iPad.

not every owner of the Apple TV or rumored iTV owns an iPod touch, iPad or iPhone. trackpad is more likely, or just a better remote. I've read the rumors of a Wii-style remote, but that requires all those sensors and ugly wires that SJ hates!
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

What's the point?

People know that Apple is working on next-generation designs for these product lines. These designations reveal nothing beyond the fact that Apple is working on stuff that hasn't been released. They don't deny the fact that they're working on new things. From a development perspective, it is easier to assign the bland numbering scheme.

Frankly, I think you're looking too deeply into this.

Unlike people scouring Apple's job postings to develop theories about upcoming products.
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Which device you going to look at while playing a dynamic iOS game, the iPhone or the TV? Same question goes for the people that say the magic trackpad could be used as the controller.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Thompson

You have a good point about the "dynamic games" but the kind of a setup described would work for pretty much everything else.

A secondary controller would divide one's attention, but no more or less than a mouse, trackpad, or keyboard does when you are sitting at a computer. Again, the only real failure here would be for x-box type games, since a touch-based controller, that also divides your attention would be kid of a double-whammy.

Apple could easily do everything everyone is hoping/assuming they will with the next Apple TV and it will work fine for the majority of uses. The fact that the device (might) have apps, would more likely mean apps for Hulu, or Google, or stuff like that. There is still a value in having that kind of setup even if if would be awkward to play games.

Remember as well, that there's nothing that a Wii remote can do, that iPhone 4 can't also do hardware wise.
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I don't see this one. The $99 price point is interesting and a good way for Apple to start showing up in consumer living rooms, but I see two things that make me think not:

1. The universal remote (I'm assuming that's what your inferring) just has too many wanna be's already out there. Yes, and an Apple one would be quite smart, but it would look like so many other universal remotes in blister packs at WalMart that I don't think Apple will go there, even with some serious distinction from other products.

2. This doesn't seem to fit the trend I see with iSomething devices. When I consider the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, I see devices that combine things or functions. In a sense, they take numerous complex functions and combine them into a single unit with a disctinctive and useable interface. I don't see Apple departing from this trend. And, I'm not sure I see a $99 stand alone product from Apple anytime soon.

1. He never implied the remote would be universal at all, just that it would be a custom remote that gives you iPhone like control over your Apple TV without having to buy an iPhone.

2. While the iPhone merges two fundamentally different devices (a phone and an iPod), the iPod Touch doesn't. What it does is allow for the convergence of tasks (email, internet, games, apps, music, video, etc.). An iOS powered Apple TV would allow for similar convergence on your tv screen.

The rumored $99 price tag for Apple TV should not be a surprise at all. Steve Jobs has personally said that expensive set top boxes do not sell, so it would have to be cheap. Furthermore, how much would an iPod touch stripped of two of its most expensive components (screen and battery) really cost? Especially if they minimize the available storage space on it.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I could see using an app on your iPhone/iPad as a remote to run the iTV. I have an iPhone app for my Sony Blu-ray player that works great with nothing more than up, down, left, right, and tap gestures.

I don't think it would take a lot of hand-eye coordination to use an iPhone/iPad app if you can see some kind of cursor on your TV screen that follows what you're doing on the iPhone/iPad.

Apple's own remote app already does that. Very intuitive and fluid. No-look remote.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #36 of 67
Unknown device is Apple's answer to Andriod....they are going to release their iOS4.1 for other manufactures......yeah, what am I thinking....that's not going to happen.
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Unlike people scouring Apple's job postings to develop theories about upcoming products.

That's right! Apple is going to bring a line of fart apps to market.

post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Which device you going to look at while playing a dynamic iOS game, the iPhone or the TV? Same question goes for the people that say the magic trackpad could be used as the controller.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Thompson

The television screen of course - how many people look at a wii handset when controlling wii sports etc?
post #39 of 67
I'd buy that in a iPod Nanosecond... ;-)
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.

I'd buy that in a iPod Nanosecond... ;-)

-- Sorry for double post
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple testing iOS 4.1 alongside next-gen iPod touch, iPad and 'unknown' product