or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple, magazine publishers reach deal for subscriptions on iPad

Apple, magazine publishers reach deal for subscriptions on iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, as far as I know, none of my apps knows what magazines I subscribe to.
It would be nice to have some actual details on how this is supposed to work. .

for crying out loud its not rocket science, you just logging when the app starts, just like the "We rule" game or the Kindle app. So you can download the app but you need an account to access the goods.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've got Zinio, like most people who have used it, I can say that it's not very good.

It accurately presents the chosen magazine in a digital format, often with multimedia extras... It Really Doesn't Need To Do Anything Else.

Additionally: Subscriptions are typically in the US 8.00 to 20.00 range annually, which is much less than the printed versions.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

That's my issue as well. I don't want the print version of the magazine. To me, that's the whole point of having the electronic version. I don't want to have to subscribe to the print version just to have free access to the electronic version. Let me pay some percentage of the print subscription (and in place of it) so I can have access on the iPad.

Apple is the problem here, its wont allow it ATM. Mags and newspapers want to make an APP that will refresh content on the net just like,lets say, the free USA today app. But if they do that, you have one free app to download from the app store then you just need an account to access the content. Do you see Apple making money in this process? No. This is why they need to come up with an "ads" system. imo its going to be iAds goes to Apple and the ads withing the content goes to the content maker.

The problem here is itunes business model is build around pay per view, not a subscription. So they need to come up with a subscription system. Maybe a mag and a newspaper app could be the solution and then you buy "electronic only" subscription from Apple which takes a cut.

They also need to come up with a subscription business model for the upcoming "cloud based" AppleTV.

This is far from being over.
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

This is a baseless observation and highly unlikely.
More likely Apple just wanted a proper slice of the subscription fees.

And why should Apple get a piece? Did the publishers ask for the iPad to be built. NO!!! They were courted by SJ himself. Now he wants the publishers to offer subscriptions only through the app store at a discount and then take 30% of that discounted price. SJ has really become a bully lately.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

for crying out loud its not rocket science, you just logging when the app starts, just like the "We rule" game or the Kindle app. So you can download the app but you need an account to access the goods.

I don't think you understand the question or the issue.
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And why should Apple get a piece? Did the publishers ask for the iPad to be built. NO!!! They were courted by SJ himself. Now he wants the publishers to offer subscriptions only through the app store at a discount and then take 30% of that discounted price. SJ has really become a bully lately.

Apple is a business, so every activity they get involved in and product they choose to release has a profit motive behind it. This is Business 101... even though they make 'things' we all love, they can only keep doing this if they continue to make money.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple is a business, so every activity they get involved in and product they choose to release has a profit motive behind it. This is Business 101... even though they make 'things' we all love, they can only keep doing this if they continue to make money.

I understand that but there should've been agreements before launching the iPad. Apple better fix this before any tablets running android come out because publishers can easily make an app that will allow current subscribers access to their content. There's gotta be a happy median. One in which current subcribers can read Time, etc and then when it comes time to resubscribe do so through the app store.
post #48 of 51
Quote:

I understand that but there should've been agreements before launching the iPad. Apple better fix this before any tablets running android come out because publishers can easily make an app that will allow current subscribers access to their content. There's gotta be a happy median. One in which current subcribers can read Time, etc and then when it comes time to resubscribe do so through the app store.

Oh, I'm not too worried about Apple hitting a timetable. They are the top e-distribution model for apps, music, video (well, maybe Netflix is bigger here), and so on. This is theirs to screw up, so I think they'll do it right if not quickly.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #49 of 51
Quote:

Those agreements couldn't be put into place beforehand because it wasn't clear how popular the iPad would be. Publishers would laugh, point to all the other tablets and say "we don't care, there's no market"... while Apple would say "its going to be a revolution!" Then they ship iPad and sell more than even Apple predicted, and the business types scramble madly over themselves trying to negotiate. In-app purchasing is potentially fraught with security issues, so Apple wants it either to happen through their web browser or through their app store. The app store's business model currently doesn't support subscriptions and the pricing structure won't be acceptable to the publishers. These things take time to sort out, and neither size can really be blamed for the problem because they are all looking out for their own best interest... but in the end everyone wants the market to thrive so that they can make their money, and that will ensure that negotiations eventually get us to where we have subscriptions on iOS. I expect publishers will be able to choose a web-based or an app-store based solution... Apple will charge for the latter, which is reasonable because they are providing their infrastructure to do so and saving the publisher considerable money if the publisher doesn't already have their own system.

Conspiracy theories need not apply (although conspiracy rags no doubt will!).
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last month, it was noted that Time and other magazine publishers were frustrated as they were blocked from allowing subscribing customers the ability to access a digital version of the magazine on the IPad. plans were acceptable to Apple.

This is the first time I've seen this 'frustration' mentioned. Every article before was about Apple rejecting App Store based systems to subscribe to just the digital version. Nothing was mentioned about a digital 'add on' to a print subscription.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetst View Post

Totally agree. I'd love to see an iMagazines store along the same lines as the iBooks store. One app with a shelf of downloaded magazines would be great.

Zinio does this already and works and looks great.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple, magazine publishers reach deal for subscriptions on iPad