or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "The City" Facebook (and more) for Church

"The City" Facebook (and more) for Church

post #1 of 5
There is a new web based software package called "The city" by Zondervan which is Harper Collins which is News Corp which is Rupert Murdock. It was developed originally by a mega church but then bought by Zondevan.

What is it? It is a social networking platform not so different than say Facebook.

It is also the back end office for the church which tracks and shows users how they give to the church with financial offerings etc. It is also used to track the checking in of children when a child is dropped off in nursery / sunday school.

So each user / member gives up personal information and this software tracks the giving to the church by members. When a member checks their children into their classes this software is informed of this data. Prayer requests are published on this platform. Social networking and communications are all published as well with this all inclusive suite of front and back end office Church software / social networking web-based software.

It can be used on smart phones as well.

My problem with this.

My Church just inplemented this and says we must all use this system.

I went to zondervan and read their privacy page and I do not like what I read.

Not only that but is it me or should the private business of church members across the world not be housed by some corporation off site of the actual church.

I think this opens up a can of worms. Why should News Corp (Fox News) etc. Rupert Murdock know such vast information about church members.

This is a gross mishandling of church member privacy in my humble view.

I actually think it is evil.

What do you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJ6FNfNYEQ

I can see why this is a wet dream for church leadership.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

There is a new web based software package called "The city" by Zondervan which is Harper Collins which is News Corp which is Rupert Murdock.

My problem with this.

My Church just inplemented this and says we must all use this system.

I went to zondervan and read their privacy page and I do not like what I read.

I actually think it is evil.

Fellows

Either don't use it if you choose to not use it, or in the alternative, maybe it's time to look for another church.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #3 of 5
May I suggest the Universal Church of the Universe? All you need to do is go outside, look up into the sky, and enjoy what little time we have here on this planet. No computerized social networking required. Old fashioned social networking recommended.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #4 of 5
Personally I'd be more worried if I were one of a few hundred being scrutinized locally than if I were one out of a few million being scrutinized "offsite". It's easier to hide in a crowd.
post #5 of 5
Also, Fellows, since you usually like us to watch links you find to be interesting and informative, let me now ask you to do the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Imvl...=%2526fmt%3D22

This is a lecture by particle physicist and cosmologist Lawrence Krauss. If you really watch this all the way through, I believe that it will clear up many of the misconceptions you may have about the science regarding the origins of the universe.

Tonton, you should watch, too. It's just awesome stuff and I know you'd appreciate it.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "The City" Facebook (and more) for Church