or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple sends out invitations for Sept. 1 'special event'

Apple sends out invitations for Sept. 1 'special event'

post #1 of 102
Apple on Wednesday invited members of the media to its annual media-centric keynote, where it is expected to introduce new iPods and an updated Apple TV, set for Sept. 1 in San Francisco, Calif.

The event will be held next Wednesday and will start at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, and will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Alluding to the music-themed nature of the event, the invitation includes an acoustic guitar with a sound hole in the shape of an Apple logo.

The announcement dispels an earlier report that the event would be held on Sept. 7.

In recent days, a firestorm of rumors and speculation have centered around a supposed new Apple TV, perhaps dubbed iTV, starting at $99. Both Bloomberg and The New York Times have cited anonymous sources as stating that Apple is currently negotiating with content providers to offer 99 cent TV episode rentals.

However, Apple reportedly does not intend to make the new Apple TV the centerpiece of its announcement, as sources said Chief Executive Steve Jobs doesn't expect the device to be an instant mainstream hit. Instead, Apple is allegedly looking to improve its product, which it has long referred to as a "hobby," by transitioning it to the iOS operating system and giving it access to the App Store for content and games.

Apple is also expected to reveal a new iPod touch with a forward facing camera that will allow FaceTime video chat, as is currently available on the iPhone 4. There have been numerous leaked parts alleged to be from Apple's forthcoming portable media player that show a space in the device's front panel for a camera.

While the iPod touch lacks a phone number to allow people to connect for a FaceTime call, beta releases of iOS 4.1 show that the media player will identify users by their e-mail address. Jobs said earlier this summer that his company will ship tens of millions of devices compatible with FaceTime this year alone. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of making FaceTime video chat calls over Wi-Fi.
post #2 of 102
* opens wallet and looks to see what's still there *
post #3 of 102
I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch. The opposite circumstance is that Apple immediately discontinues the 32GB third gen iPod Touch that is the minimum I want with the Back to School deal. I'm not sure if I should wait to find out either way.
post #4 of 102
iTV release before the fall season lineup?
post #5 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch. The opposite circumstance is that Apple immediately discontinues the 32GB third gen iPod Touch that is the minimum I want with the Back to School deal. I'm not sure if I should wait to find out either way.

The chances of the back to school deal including the new iPod touch are precisely zero. The new one probably won't ship for at least a week after the event.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #6 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch.

The chances are zero. The Back To School deal never includes the new hardware.

They've had these overlaps before; you buy into the deal and you get the 3rd generation iPod touch. It's a good way for them to deplete existing inventory of the older product.
post #7 of 102
I hope there's mention of the iPad mini or at least the new iPad iOS release date.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #8 of 102
iLife '11 with iOS hooks. (just looking at the invite!)
post #9 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

iTV release before the fall season lineup?

somehow I doubt apple TV or iTV (or whatever name it might be) will be there.
post #10 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I hope there's mention of the iPad mini or at least the new iPad iOS release date.

don't hold your breath for an 'ipad mini'

current ipad is flying off the shelves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
post #11 of 102
Samsung must be fuming to have its thunder stolen, as it is planning to launch its Android tablet on Sept 2:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100825143100
post #12 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Yep.

Guitar = Garageband '11
post #13 of 102
something which will change everything, again: the iGuitar.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #14 of 102
I hope they release a more expensive version of the new Apple TV with a decent amount of storage as well as the $99 one, for those of us that already have loads of movies within iTunes and don't want to leave their computers on for the unit to stream from constantly.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #15 of 102
YES PLEASE. I would adore multitasking on my iPad soon. Oh, and Garage Band/ iLife would be fantastic also. Maybe Jam Packs will come included?... Wow I just realized that paying for college is harder when also paying for Apple products. Time to find a job! (at an Apple store hopefully)
post #16 of 102
The guitar in invitation reminds me the rumor about a new app in iLife.
As, new iPods and iTVs receiving all the attention, Apple wants the blogosphere to get into another round of rumor round-up, this time including scoops about this new app.
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #17 of 102
and the stock goes on up...
post #18 of 102
Since I haven't seen a new beta of iOS 4.1, I doubt it will be ready for next week. The latest one has serious memory leaks.
post #19 of 102
i want to see there new device they might show, i hope its not a new iphone because that would be messed up
post #20 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Since I haven't seen a new beta of iOS 4.1, I doubt it will be ready for next week. The latest one has serious memory leaks.

Well, it might still be announced, for later release, on some actual date.
post #21 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

The guitar in invitation reminds me the rumor about a new app in iLife.
As, new iPods and iTVs receiving all the attention, Apple wants the blogosphere to get into another round of rumor round-up, this time including scoops about this new app.

The Gibson guitar, to me, seems like GarageBand is coming to the iPhone, iPod or iPad (OS 4.0 with multitasking).
post #22 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by theappleman912 View Post

predictions:

Itv announcement
new ipod touches at 128gb sizes with retina display and face time
minor updates to ipod touch and ipod classic
new ipod shuffle with 3x3 touchscreen (you think i forgot all about that)

out of them, i'll probably get an ipod shuffle, as atm i have a first gen, and the itv. I hope it includes a blu ray and does more than just music and videos off a hard drive.

128?? :d
post #23 of 102
iLife 11 would be very welcome... as well as the iPad iOS4 that was "promised" for Sept. release. I've gotten quite used to multi-tasking on my iPhone.
post #24 of 102
I presume the guitar is because it's a music event, and also the garage band icon suggesting iLife '11 and possibly iWork '11
Come to think of it, it may be iWork for iOS (pad/pod/phone) update and GarageBand for iPad, requiring OS 4.1 which will be released
post #25 of 102
The logo is obvious ... Apple has bought Martin the guitar maker!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #26 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAppleMan912 View Post

Predictions:

iTv announcement
New iPod touches at 128GB sizes with retina display and face time
Minor updates to iPod touch and iPod classic
New ipod shuffle with 3x3 touchscreen (you think I forgot all about that)

Out of them, I'll probably get an iPod shuffle, as ATM I have a first gen, and the iTV. I hope it includes a blu Ray and does more than just music and videos off a hard drive.

Although I don't expect BluRay... I would sincerely Love to have a version of iTV that could access the internet, access the AppStore & have more storage... something to take on the announced Google TV.
post #27 of 102
Order of the keynote:
some magic numbers to get started - we have boatloads of cash
iWork/iLife
iPod refresh
iPod touch
iOS 4.0 for iPad

One more thing : iTV
post #28 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Order of the keynote:
some magic numbers to get started - we have boatloads of cash
iWork/iLife
iPod refresh
iPod touch
iOS 4.0 for iPad

One more thing : iTV

That sounds about right! I forgot about OS 4.0 for iPad coming out right away ... sweet!
post #29 of 102
My prediction: No matter what is announced, the complaints will roll in faster than a dump truck on the garbage day after Christmas.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 102
Today Google announced you can call people using gmail addresses.
The ipad will employ email as a way to use Facetime.

I m sure it is just a coincidence
post #31 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

That'd be sweet. I'm ready for a new iLife.
post #32 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Sorry for double post. My bad

You Can Delete Posts You Know.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #33 of 102
I just remembered- where is the white iPhone 4??
post #34 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

You Can Delete Posts You Know.

(serious) can you? How? I can only see edit on my posts
post #35 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I just remembered- where is the white iPhone 4??

Aha! You're paying attention. It's the old illusionists trick... misdirection!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 102
but can they top 'free' bbq? lol

http://www.bigandroidbbq.com/
post #37 of 102
will they release a new ipad? Will they come out with itunes 10, what will that have
post #38 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

but can they top 'free' bbq? lol

http://www.bigandroidbbq.com/

Is that like the old Burn the Bra BBQ they used to have...Come one and all, and burn your Android, freeing yourself to use that phone you wanted in the first place (cue the Candied Apple).
post #39 of 102
I like the way the Reuters report on this says "may update iPods"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-...&asset=&ccode=

You don't need to be all that smart, or even all that awake to know they definately will update the iPods.
post #40 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFlank View Post

YES PLEASE. I would adore multitasking on my iPad soon. Oh, and Garage Band/ iLife would be fantastic also. Maybe Jam Packs will come included?... Wow I just realized that paying for college is harder when also paying for Apple products. Time to find a job! (at an Apple store hopefully)

Good luck with your job at the apple store. I just hope you don't end up like those people who loved chocolate so much, that twey decided to get a job in a chocolate factory, and after a couple of months surrounded by all this sweet stuff, they couldn't even look at chocolate any more. But anyway I have to agree with you, applications like in iLife would certainly make sense on an iPad. Would buy it instantly without hesitation. With iWorks they did such a fantastic job.... Well it would be great.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple sends out invitations for Sept. 1 'special event'