or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Netflix app updated to support Apple's iPhone, iPod touch

Netflix app updated to support Apple's iPhone, iPod touch

post #1 of 34
Netflix on Thursday updated its iOS App Store software, bringing compatibility for iPhone and iPod touch users to stream movies and manage their Instant Watch queue.

The new universal application (iTunes link) is now available for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The free software allows Netflix customers with unlimited memberships to stream content from their Instant Watch queue.

Users can pick up watching where they left off with a movie or TV show on another device, such as their iPad, TV, or computer. The application also allows users to manage their Netflix queue, but only for Instant Watch. There is not currently a way to manage the queue for mailed discs.

As with on the iPad, the streaming service even works over 3G on the iPhone. The software uses adaptive technology that allows instant switching between Wi-Fi and 3G connections.

Version 1.1 of the Netflix application requires iOS 3.1.3 or later.

Netflix originally released its iPad application when the device was first released in April. At the time, the company promised that it was also working on a version for iPhone and iPod touch users -- a promise that was delivered Thursday.

The movie rental company then showed off the new version of its mobile software at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, garnering cheers from the audience.
post #2 of 34
My only complaint is you can't manage your mailer queue via the app. When a friend suggests a movie to me, I immediately pop open PhoneFlix and put it in my queue. I guess I'll just keep using that for mobile queue management.
post #3 of 34
Glad the app is out. lame that it's one of those not optimized for the Retina display. Kind of inexcusable that the interface icons aren't high res since this is shipping two months after the iPhone 4 release. I can understand all of their movie artwork not yet being optimized but the splash screen and interface? Lame.
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Glad the app is out. lame that it's one of those not optimized for the Retina display. Kind of inexcusable that the interface icons aren't high res since this is shipping two months after the iPhone 4 release. I can understand all of their movie artwork not yet being optimized but the splash screen and interface? Lame.

Seriously?!

Does it really matter? This is an app to watch movies not look at pretty graphics and icon.
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Seriously?!

Does it really matter? This is an app to watch movies not look at pretty graphics and icon.

When you stop being satisfied with mediocrity your world will vastly improve.
post #6 of 34
Can you output to your tv with this app? I've heard you can do that with the iPad version. Anyone actually tried this?

It is lame that you can't manage your dvd queu. I have a free app (Movieflick I think or something like that) that lets you manage both queues so I don't see how it can be that difficult. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker View Post

Can you output to your tv with this app? I've heard you can do that with the iPad version. Anyone actually tried this?

It is lame that you can't manage your dvd queu. I have a free app (Movieflick I think or something like that) that lets you manage both queues so I don't see how it can be that difficult. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though.

You can output Netflix streaming on the iPad, I assume the same will be true for the iPhone.
post #8 of 34
Quote:

How much did you pay for the app?
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

How much did you pay for the app?

tree fiddy.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranson View Post

My only complaint is you can't manage your mailer queue via the app. When a friend suggests a movie to me, I immediately pop open PhoneFlix and put it in my queue. I guess I'll just keep using that for mobile queue management.

I thought the same thing. Why would Netflix not want to market the app to their mail-only customers as a way to manage their queue on their iPhone and get them hooked on the Watch Instantly feature?
post #11 of 34
Can it buffer an entire show/movie (or multiples) to watch while off-network, for instance during a commercial aircraft flight? That's the only time I'm interested in watching movies on an iPhone.
post #12 of 34
I am really happy to find out it works on my first gen iPod touch!
post #13 of 34
totally cool watched part of my first movie, no problem with 3g
ok i still use another app to deal with my que
BUT why now, they had this for a long time (by rumor)
i think its strategic, that apple will be putting out a streaming system next week to compete

why do the movie companies let netflix do a supscription service and not apple, is it to build up a defense to counter apple

apple must be doing something BIG
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

... why do the movie companies let netflix do a supscription service and not apple, is it to build up a defense to counter apple ...

Because, to deflect antitrust scrutiny and criticism from the public generally, the music industry has painted a picture of Apple having taken over their industry with iTunes. The movie/television/cable companies seem to actually believe this fairy tale, and fear that it will happen to them. In short, a bunch of stupid people who don't really understand what's going on.
post #15 of 34
Just played a movie over 3G, started with a bunch of Skips, but stable after. One big caveate on iPhone4, the app consumed 75% of the battery after 1 hour of playback. Does not look good for the ability to stream multiple movies or even one full lenght movie without a power connection active...
post #16 of 34
Thank you Netflix. I tried streaming on WiFi, worked great. Can't wait to see how it handles 3G.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

And when you direct your attention to only things of import, yours will do the same.
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
post #18 of 34
Kind of off topic but related ...

If you are getting Net Flix pop ups and want rid of them I tracked down two places to opt out, I am not sure which so I used both and they did stop.

http://optmd.com/optout.html

http://www.casalemedia.com/optout/
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #19 of 34
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #20 of 34
I had installed the ipad version some time ago through a hack and could watch streaming movies on my TV. The new version for iphone does not support this function. Total useless I have gone back to the hacked version.
post #21 of 34
I quit netflix a couple of years ago.

I signed up again today. Got the woot special Roku for $59 and Netflix is now everywhere. $8.99? Really? Cannot beat this.
post #22 of 34
Just got it up and running on my iPod touch. Awesome!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker View Post

I have, and at least from my experience, it's not a thing to do. Without breaking the VGA output down to composite or component, the connection to your TV is via the computer input. This limits the picture to the VGA aspect ratio and (on my TV at least) locks out all screen settings and adjustments, so any letterboxed movie is also going to be pillarboxed, and the colors and contrast set for computer output. Old 4:3 black and white movies look okay though. Not great, just not bad.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #24 of 34
Quote:

I agree about the icons.

I find it interesting since getting iPhone 4, zooming in on the icons and seeing which ones are the old fuzzy ones and which the new.

For instance Apple's own "Remote" app, hasn't been updated. Perhaps we can expect to see a new remote app at the Sept 8th event? Also, it could be just my eyes, but a lot of the iTunes mobile app interface looks fuzzy even though the icon has been updated.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

How do you ever manage to live up to your standard?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

tree fiddy.

Man, I must be getting senile as well as just old .... I had to google tree fiddy to see wtf you meant.
post #27 of 34
Just got home to try outputting to my tv with my belkin component cable adapter- the sound came through but there was no picture. Went into itunes on my phone and played a music video and sound and video were working fine. Anyone get this to work?
post #28 of 34
All I know is Session 9 was one scary fucking movie. Cool to see it in their mockup.

"...And where do you live, Simon?"

"I live in the weak and the wounded, doc...."

Pooping my pants.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

You can output Netflix streaming on the iPad, I assume the same will be true for the iPhone.

Presumption - the mother of all eff ups. Nope. Doesn't output to TV.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I have, and at least from my experience, it's not a thing to do. Without breaking the VGA output down to composite or component, the connection to your TV is via the computer input. This limits the picture to the VGA aspect ratio and (on my TV at least) locks out all screen settings and adjustments, so any letterboxed movie is also going to be pillarboxed, and the colors and contrast set for computer output. Old 4:3 black and white movies look okay though. Not great, just not bad.

Cmponent out through my 'iPod app ' on iPhone is awesome. Visitors can't believe it's running off my phone. Netflix doesn't support video out from iPhone. FAIL.
post #31 of 34
Netlix APP useful but not practical.
If I'm at home, I would rather stream the movie to my TV. I was out and tryed out the APP and in a period of 1 hour I used 50% of my battery charge. WOW, guess i'll have to watch shorter films So you really need to have your IPHONE connected to an outlet to really view for a while.
I also found the streaming to be flickering at the beginning and was not started immediately, it took a while.
Lastly, with ATT streaming may not be practical unless your in an area where the signal is constantly 3 bars or higher.

BOTTOM LINE: its only the first day of the APP and some updates may have to be made, such as a Queue mgr.
IF you already have NETFLIX look at the APP as a bonus viewing opportunity .
PICTURE QUALITY was very good on the IPHONE4 as was the sound.
post #32 of 34
I'm keep in N'flix! This works great! I watched 'Rescue me' on the train home.
post #33 of 34
tried several times to watch a movie
on my 3g
buggy, crashes, and then the movie doesn't show but the sound is in background

buggy buggy buggy
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #34 of 34
Love it! I've been using Netflix on my iPad for a while, and now ... but the iPhone let's you watch shows pretty much EVERYWHERE!
iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 + Cool Apps:
Pandora - Facebook - HiFutureSelf - NPR
iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 + Cool Apps:
Pandora - Facebook - HiFutureSelf - NPR
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Netflix app updated to support Apple's iPhone, iPod touch