or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds third Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta with one known issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple seeds third Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta with one known issue

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Apple on Thursday seeded with developers the third beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5, its latest security and maintenance update for Snow Leopard, with just one known issue.

People familiar with the latest build, reportedly known as 10H531, said the lone issue is associated with VMware. Having it installed can cause USB devices to not work when the Mac is awoken from sleep mode.

Those same people said Apple has asked developers to focus on a few key areas for the latest beta, including iCal, Mail, USB Devices, QuickTime, Time Machine and 3D graphics. The delta update is said to be a 557MB download.

The latest beta comes just a week after the last build was supplied to developers. And the previous, first build arrived only six days before that.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 was released in mid-June, packing fixes for trackpads on Apple's notebook computers, and also addressing issues with Adobe's Creative Suite 3. It also included Safari 5, Apple's latest Web browser.
post #2 of 23
that's good, let's hope for less beachballspinning.
Now please make that iTunes a 64bit app...
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's good, let's hope for less beachballspinning.
Now please make that iTunes a 64bit app...

iTunes is not part of Mac OS X. I expect a 64-bit/Cocoa iTunes X to come next week, but thats for a different thread.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iTunes is not part of Mac OS X. I expect a 64-bit/Cocoa iTunes X to come next week, but thats for a different thread.

Just out of curiosity but why would you expect that to happen?
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Just out of curiosity but why would you expect that to happen?

Apple has been trying to remove Carbon from all their apps. The more complex the app the harder this is. iTunes will be Cocoa and therefore will be 64-bit. Based on the amount of time that has passed and the remaining apps that have yet to be converted I think this year is the year well see that change.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has been trying to remove Carbon from all their apps. The more complex the app the harder this is. iTunes will be Cocoa and therefore will be 64-bit. Based on the amount of time that has passed and the remaining apps that have yet to be converted I think this year is the year well see that change.

OK, but then why haven't they made other apps (like grapher or chess) Cocoa. Not to mention that Cocoa-ising iTunes is going to be problematic for Windows users. Sorry, I don't see that idea as evidence especially since it has been rumored for awhile and never delivered for several update cycles.

Not that I don't want to see it myself, but nothing I have read suggests that Apple is even doing this.
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Not to mention that Cocoa-ising iTunes is going to be problematic for Windows users.

Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Reply
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Reply
post #8 of 23
I'm wondering if this version is the pre-cursor to Xcode 4.0. Xcode 4.0 would definitely benefit from OS bug fixes et al.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

OK, but then why haven't they made other apps (like grapher or chess) Cocoa. Not to mention that Cocoa-ising iTunes is going to be problematic for Windows users. Sorry, I don't see that idea as evidence especially since it has been rumored for awhile and never delivered for several update cycles.

Not that I don't want to see it myself, but nothing I have read suggests that Apple is even doing this.

1) Chess is 64-bit on my build of SL.

2) If all SL apps arent converted to Cocoa by now that means that they have no plans to convert their other apps?

3) If iTunes hasnt been converted to Cocoa by now that means they have no intention of ever doing it?

4) I can assure that Apple will be moving iTunes away from Carbon. I dont know when, nor have prognosticated a definite time, merely what I know to be true from deduction and what I think is most likely based given other trends. You can disagree with me on the when, but its silly to suggest that Apple has no plans for this because you have seen nothing to suggest its true.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 23
The question I have is how might this relate to the September 1st "event"?

While rumors are taking about an iTV that is based on iOS would Apple update anything else (like AppleTV) that would be OS X, or maybe start integration of the two at a casual level?
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #11 of 23
Why do we keep reporting on these developer seeds of 10.6.x upgrades. I mean, if there was some awesome feature coming, I would understand. But Apple is doing a ton more than just OS X. I think these updates to developers should be page 2 news from here on.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Why do we keep reporting on these developer seeds of 10.6.x upgrades

Pageviews.

It does seem a little silly since only Mac developers have access to these beta seeds, but apparently AI thinks of these releases to merit putting on the front page.

Don't like it? You don't have to read these posts and you certainly don't have to comment on them.

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday seeded with developers the third beta of Mac OS 10.6.5

Will the final release also be released with developers?
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Pageviews.

It does seem a little silly since only Mac developers have access to these beta seeds, but apparently AI thinks of these releases to merit putting on the front page.

Don't like it? You don't have to read these posts and you certainly don't have to comment on them.


Just like all of the other sites such as 9to5mac, Macrumors, etc...
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Chess is 64-bit on my build of SL.

2) If all SL apps arent converted to Cocoa by now that means that they have no plans to convert their other apps?

3) If iTunes hasnt been converted to Cocoa by now that means they have no intention of ever doing it?

4) I can assure that Apple will be moving iTunes away from Carbon. I dont know when, nor have prognosticated a definite time, merely what I know to be true from deduction and what I think is most likely based given other trends. You can disagree with me on the when, but its silly to suggest that Apple has no plans for this because you have seen nothing to suggest its true.

Actually, that's more like inductive logic. It would be equally valid to suggest what the OP originally positing.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Actually, that's more like inductive logic. It would be equally valid to suggest what the OP originally positing.

Seriously? Because iTunes is still Carbon (as are all the other large Apple apps that predate the change) that we should never expect them to change it? That doesn't make any sense to me. I think they are rewriting it in Cocoa along with all the other apps they wish to keep.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 23
10.6.4 didn't fix my girlfriend's 2009 MacBook Pro trackpad issues (unresponsiveness of the trackpad for about 30 seconds after waking from sleep).
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

10.6.4 didn't fix my girlfriend's 2009 MacBook Pro trackpad issues (unresponsiveness of the trackpad for about 30 seconds after waking from sleep).

Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd call up Apple or go into an Apple Store to get it fixed. If not, I'd post your issue on MacOSXHints.com and see what the responders have to say. I'd go into some basic troubleshooting steps but this isn't the thread for that knowing you're posts I assume you've at least ran through the SW fixes.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 23
"Awoken"? In English, the word is "awakened."
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu View Post

"Awoken"? In English, the word is "awakened."

Awoken is the past participle of awake. You can look it up. You can also look up plenty of people asking questions that are inline with your statement and being told that both are acceptable if used correctly.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has been trying to remove Carbon from all their apps. The more complex the app the harder this is. iTunes will be Cocoa and therefore will be 64-bit. Based on the amount of time that has passed and the remaining apps that have yet to be converted I think this year is the year well see that change.

Meanwhile, in Ironyland:

Quote:
For example, although Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

So with all the Carbon-based apps they still ship, I guess Apple hasn't yet adopted OS X.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Meanwhile, in Ironyland:


http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

So with all the Carbon-based apps they still ship, I guess Apple hasn't yet adopted OS X.

1) Why cant anything you write ever make sense.

2) Mac OS X ≠ Cocoa.

3) Adobe has been ignoring Apple and their customers for a long time.

4) There are still plenty of 3rd-party apps that havent moved from Carbon to Cocoa. As I stated, the more complex the app the harder is and, likely, longer it will take. Again, Mac OS X ≠ Cocoa.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Why cant anything you write ever make sense.

Why can't you participate in discussions without the random personal attacks?

Quote:
2) Mac OS X ≠ Cocoa.

Tell it to Steve.

Quote:
3) Adobe has been ignoring Apple and their customers for a long time.

And yet in the same sort of Stockholm Syndrome that drives so much of the Mac market, Mac users have made Adobe one of the largest software vendors ever.

Quote:
4) There are still plenty of 3rd-party apps that havent moved from Carbon to Cocoa. As I stated, the more complex the app the harder is and, likely, longer it will take. Again, Mac OS X ≠ Cocoa.

Again, tell it to Steve.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds third Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta with one known issue