or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple expected to boost iTunes song samples to 60 seconds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple expected to boost iTunes song samples to 60 seconds

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Apple this week is expected to double the length of free song samples within the iTunes Store, from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, according to a new report.

Citing anonymous sources, Greg Sandoval of CNet reported Monday that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is expected to announce at his company's media event on Wednesday that iTunes users will be able to sample a minute of a song before purchasing. Currently, iTunes song samples are limited to 30 seconds.

The report said that the addition of more sample time is one of a number of expected changes to iTunes, aimed at helping users discover music. It is rumored that Apple will spend "a large part" of the event detailing how the new iTunes improves the user experience. That correlates with a report from last week that indicated Apple would present changes to iTunes with a social focus.

Also echoing last week's report, Sandoval said that Apple is not expected to introduce a cloud-based iTunes service, which would allow users to stream music to devices such as the iPhone. Apple has shown interest in offering such capabilities, but the Cupertino, Calif., company reportedly does not have the necessary contracts in place.

"For those who are hoping Apple will finally launch the cloud music service that CNET and others have written so much about in recent months, you're likely going to have to keep waiting," he wrote.

Apple will hold its event on Wednesday at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., beginning at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will have full coverage.
post #2 of 41
Citing anonymous sources, Greg Sandoval of CNet reported Monday that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is expected to announce at his company's media event on Wednesday that iTunes users will be able to sample a minute of a song before purchasing. Currently, iTunes song samples are limited to 60 seconds.

A minute is sixty seconds!
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Currently, iTunes song samples are limited to 60 seconds.

No, they are currently limited to 30 seconds, as suggested by the headline.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 41
Finally. They should also sample the middle of the song, not the beginning. There've been so many times when I couldn't tell what a song was because it started at the very beginning of a very long intro and the sample would end right after the very first few notes of the meat of the music.
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week is expected to double the length of free song samples within the iTunes Store, from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, according to a new report.

As noted, this should help in those cases where the iTunes automatic sample is mostly 20 to 25 seconds of quiet intro with only a few seconds of actual main song. (or when the intro is completely different from the main song)

Otherwise, a pretty small news item.

Good news -- yes. Huge -- no.
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, they are currently limited to 30 seconds, as suggested by the headline.

I believe my comment pointed out this error. And I was first to post. Perhaps you missed it.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple is not expected to introduce a cloud-based iTunes service, which would allow users to stream music to devices such as the iPhone.

If I have more than one computer in my network, I can share my playlist with the other using iTunes.

Why can't a simple app be created to allow me to do this in my iPhone?
Some apps such as Orb requires me to connect to a remote server and then stream my music. Why can't this be done locally?
post #8 of 41
I wonder if this new policy will apply to videos?
post #9 of 41
Hopefully we’ll get a redesigned iTunes X, too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 41
As usual, by the time of the event everything will have been leaked leaving no surprises. I long for the oooh-ahhh moments at events of old. If Apple isn't careful, these events will start becoming ho-hum and will not garner the media and public attention they used to. I think they need to start getting smarter about the run up. Maybe seeding disinformation, and doubling down on security. A little misdirection, a little slight of hand. Bring back the magic.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As usual, by the time of the event everything will have been leaked leaving no surprises. I long for the oooh-ahhh moments at events of old. If Apple isn't careful, these events will start becoming ho-hum and will not garner the media and public attention they used to. I think they need to start getting smarter about the run up. Maybe seeding disinformation, and doubling down on security. A little misdirection, a little slight of hand. Bring back the magic.

Thanks for posting this... I wholeheartedly agree... BUT, I'm reading an Apple Rumor Site... what up?
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Thanks for posting this... I wholeheartedly agree... BUT, I'm reading an Apple Rumor Site... what up?

Oh, I'm not anti-rumor. I love rumors. That's why I'm here. I just want the rumors to be really wrong sometimes.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #13 of 41
It seems to me that some (by no means all) samples are from somewhere other than the beginning.

The "long intro" thing is vexing. The "60 seconds" will indeed help, as will more selecting from the "key" part of the music.
post #14 of 41
Seems unlikely considering that record companies wanted to charge for the 30 seconds.
post #15 of 41
About time. (Pun intended).
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week is expected to double the length of free song samples within the iTunes Store, from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, according to a new report. ...

So tracks under a minute are free?

Seriously, as someone who buys a lot of arty albums with "intro" songs and "in-between tracks" of 40 seconds to a minute 20, it's kind of a drag to pay the same price for that as one does for a regular song. It would be nice to get them free.
post #17 of 41
I've heard a lot of people say, when asked about their computer, that they have Intel Athlons. I don't buy their claims that AMD has better recognition.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

I've heard a lot of people say, when asked about their computer, that they have Intel Athlons. I don't buy their claims that AMD has better recognition.

Think you walked in the wrong room.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As usual, by the time of the event everything will have been leaked leaving no surprises. I long for the oooh-ahhh moments at events of old. If Apple isn't careful, these events will start becoming ho-hum and will not garner the media and public attention they used to. I think they need to start getting smarter about the run up. Maybe seeding disinformation, and doubling down on security. A little misdirection, a little slight of hand. Bring back the magic.

If you look at the last few years Apple has had several presentations per year ... some to announce something exciting, others, not so much .... but still necessary, IMO, if only to keep the Apple buzz alive and kicking.
It would be almost impossible to have the same kind of excitement that the 2007 iPhone intro created. Even as a child I didn't enjoy discovering all of my presents as much as my first bike ... but I looked forward to every Christmas all the same.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #20 of 41
Bump it up to 5 minutes and I'm in!
post #21 of 41
Good thing they don't intro Metallica songs. Those are easily two minute intros at times.
post #22 of 41
30 seconds seemed ample time to decide to me.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #23 of 41
Thinking it over, what I'd really like is for them to let me hear the whole song. They can give it to me in really low quality, something not worth pirating, like 32kbps mono, the equivalent of old AM radio, but give me the whole thing so I can make a good, informed decision. Honestly, anyone who wants to pirate can find any song on a P2P, torrent or Usenet newsgroup anyway. Why is it so important to limit the duration of a stream that I don't think can be captured anyway? (Kludgey techniques like Audio Hijack notwithstanding.)
post #24 of 41
Thanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why is it so important to limit the duration of a stream that I don't think can be captured anyway? (Kludgey techniques like Audio Hijack notwithstanding.)

I think it has to do with the studios saying "no". I think it would take an extra licence to play a full song or something like that, as it would not be covered by fair use. At that point you become kind of like Lala or Last.FM and I think you would have to pay some royalties.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

30 seconds seemed ample time to decide to me.

I thought so. That would have been the very last thing Id change about iTunes and the ITS, but I guess if a new contract allows why not add it, though I personally question this rumour as it seems quite for a sample.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 41
It'd be nice if it played the chorus. At least for popular songs.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Reply
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Good thing they don't intro Metallica songs. Those are easily two minute intros at times.

Do people listen to Metallica anymore?
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

It'd be nice if it played the chorus. At least for popular songs.

Good point.
post #29 of 41
And, that's it, folks. End of keynote.
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

It'd be nice if it played the chorus. At least for popular songs.

Im surprised that they dont already setup the songs to start the stream from the best part of the song that is likely to sell it, either by a manually set timecode or an algorithm that determines the chorus by the tempo or a repetition in the song or some such thing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Thinking it over, what I'd really like is for them to let me hear the whole song. They can give it to me in really low quality, something not worth pirating, like 32kbps mono, the equivalent of old AM radio, but give me the whole thing so I can make a good, informed decision. Honestly, anyone who wants to pirate can find any song on a P2P, torrent or Usenet newsgroup anyway. Why is it so important to limit the duration of a stream that I don't think can be captured anyway? (Kludgey techniques like Audio Hijack notwithstanding.)

That's actually a really good idea. Doesn't stand a chance though, since the music labels don't seem to be fans of really good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do people listen to Metallica anymore?

After listening to them too loudly as a kid, I can't listen to anything anymore......

What? What?
post #32 of 41
Apple is more into LiquidMetallica now anyway.
post #33 of 41
Please also remove the "album only" default for tracks longer than 10 minutes.
post #34 of 41
I have no problem with the current 30-sec song samples. It is the TV show samples that don't really work: 30 sec is not enough to get a feel for the episode, and sometimes it is just the same 30-sec sample of the opening credits for every episode. Ideally the TV studios should provide trailers, made from the TV ads for the episode.
post #35 of 41
Well, it is about time!
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Apple is more into LiquidMetallica now anyway.

NICE.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So tracks under a minute are free?

Seriously, as someone who buys a lot of arty albums with "intro" songs and "in-between tracks" of 40 seconds to a minute 20, it's kind of a drag to pay the same price for that as one does for a regular song. It would be nice to get them free.

musicians got paid by the song - not the minute??
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So tracks under a minute are free?

Seriously, as someone who buys a lot of arty albums with "intro" songs and "in-between tracks" of 40 seconds to a minute 20, it's kind of a drag to pay the same price for that as one does for a regular song. It would be nice to get them free.


As was mentioned before everyone is paid by the song not the time length. Your free logic is flawed, if songs under a minute were free why would anyone write or produce them?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So tracks under a minute are free?

Seriously, as someone who buys a lot of arty albums with "intro" songs and "in-between tracks" of 40 seconds to a minute 20, it's kind of a drag to pay the same price for that as one does for a regular song. It would be nice to get them free.

I have to agree with the others. Any customer who wants an intro track is likely someone who is willing to pay more. I dont see their incentive to lower these prices. The same goes for anyone who wants to buy a $30 import CD (that seems to be the average current price) when you can get that same digital data online for free.

I have to wonder, why arent you just buying the digital album at a discounted price over the á la carte price, or buy the CD at a potentially lower price from some online warehouse store?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Finally. They should also sample the middle of the song, not the beginning. There've been so many times when I couldn't tell what a song was because it started at the very beginning of a very long intro and the sample would end right after the very first few notes of the meat of the music.

True. About freaking time! The chorus is usually missing or songs have a long intro.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple expected to boost iTunes song samples to 60 seconds